Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-07-2012   #61
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texas Longhorns Football - 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
OK, they are new to the Big 12 so you get a pass. They are the Mountaineers ..lol. UTEP are the Miners.
LOL. You are right.

They do do a lot mining in West Virginia. But the team is the Mountaineers. I stand corrected.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #62
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OK, they are new to the Big 12 so you get a pass. They are the Mountaineers ..lol. UTEP are the Miners.
Hey as a recent grad of UTEP....you didn't have to correct him. I'd be fine if that was the team I got to cheer for.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #63
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
To be fair, West Virginia did win the game in Austin. We do have to give the Miners some credit. This was a big win for them. And Texas did not look all that great on the defensive side of the ball.

These are both very good college football teams. But this year, WVU is better. They proved it on the field. Nobody was cheated. it was not the referees fault. And neither George W. Bush or Barack Obama was there, so they cannot be blamed either.

I hate to say it, but it is true and it needs to be said. Texas does not deserve to be ranked in the top 10 right now, and they will not be, because they just are not good enough. If the Horns want to be ranked in the top 10 going forward, then they will have to win games like this, at home against an opponent ranked slightly higher than them.

There is no excuse. I am as big a Texas fan as anyone here on this board - I authored this thread, for crying out loud - but let's be reasonable here. The Texas Longhorns lost to a better WVU team in Austin yesterday. That is all there is to it.
I'm not disputing any of that. West Virginia won the game. I'm not saying anything negative about West Virginia. Texas lost the game. No argument there. I didn't say either team was cheated in any way. I just didn't see a superior or inferior team on either sideline last night. I understand the game was in Austin but both teams looked equal to me last night. The game was ultimately decided by a botched snap/missed FG.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #64
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

West Va looked great and UT looked like they are a year away from being something special.
Old 10-07-2012   #65
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

West Virginia jumps to #5, Texas falls to #15:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

That looks about right.

Next Saturday, #5 WVU faces off against #6 Kansas State. Both teams are undefeated. That should be a good one.

Meanwhile, #15 Texas faces off against #13 Oklahoma in Dallas. That should be pretty good too.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #66
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do you have a favorite college team or is it just whomever is playing Texas each week?
Houston, thank you.

I rarely say anything about Texas in a mean-spirit and I'm not kidding. Sometimes it is mean-spirited but mostly it's simple truth. Problem is Longhorn fans take it as mean-spirited because they think they are God's gift to the world. I say things about many schools including Houston but Longhorn fans are by far the whiniest about criticism. Same goes when you are visiting DKR Stadium. Worst fans in the nation as far as I've encountered.

JC, are you telling me you think Texas is a better football team than WV??? (lol)
Old 10-07-2012   #67
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman40 View Post
West Va looked great and UT looked like they are a year away from being something special.
Texas fans were saying that last year too.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #68
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Houston, thank you.

I rarely say anything about Texas in a mean-spirit and I'm not kidding. Sometimes it is mean-spirited but mostly it's simple truth. Problem is Longhorn fans take it as mean-spirited because they think they are God's gift to the world. I say things about many schools including Houston but Longhorn fans are by far the whiniest about criticism. Same goes when you are visiting DKR Stadium. Worst fans in the nation as far as I've encountered.

JC, are you telling me you think Texas is a better football team than WV??? (lol)
Better? No. I just didn't think either team looked superior/inferior last night.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #69
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99154 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Houston, thank you.

You're bashing Longhorns fans in this very post though. One minute you say you aren't being mean spirited, but then turn right around and scoff at every UT fan. Exaggeration much? This very website is pretty strong proof that Longhorn fans get bashed enough without having to say or do a thing. Not that there aren't a ton of UT fans out there that don't warrant this, but several of you in here chime in to every UT thread that exists just to say this same thing over and over again. We get it, you guys think that the Longhorn fans are a bunch of snobs and over zealous fans. Fine, but don't sit here and turn your nose up when UT fans are excited about a win, a great game, or when they're discussing the team's improvements. The Aggies fans in here are hilarious with this. They're in every Longhorns thread taking a shot at the team or the fans every chance they get.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #70
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Problem is Longhorn fans take it as mean-spirited because they think they are God's gift to the world. I say things about many schools including Houston but Longhorn fans are by far the whiniest about criticism. Same goes when you are visiting DKR Stadium. Worst fans in the nation as far as I've encountered.
I don't disagree with some of what you are saying. However, I am going to give you something to think about. Most intolerable Longhorns fans I have met or know are also Cowboys fans. I would venture to say that the majority of the LH fanbase are also Cowboys fans.

I have seen it in many friends I have who are Longhorns/Cowboys fans. Most of the ones that were making me ill about VY and becoming Titans fans because of VY were also Cowboys fans.

It's apparently natural for them to act the same way about the team they root on Saturdays as the one they root for on Sundays.

However maybe we are a minority but there are a good amount of UT fans that grew up Oilers fans and are now Texans fans. We don't have that Cowboy fan mentality with our college team.

My point is there is no need to stomp on UT fans here because we are not the Cowboy fan types that you hate so much. Go bash away on Shaggy or some Cowboys board where it is often deserved.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #71
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
Texas fans were saying that last year too.
Not the ones I talk to.
Old 10-13-2012   #72
axman40
Hall of Fame

It's time for Elmer Fudd to say "Red River Rivalry"

How Texas will win
The Longhorns have to get the ball moving on the ground early. If Bergeron sees plenty of carries and averages more than five yards per rush, Texas will move the ball well. If they can use that success to set up the pass, Ash will have a decent time spreading the ball, too.
If Ash can stay as consistent and accurate as he has been to this point, he will find holes in the Sooner defense. Note the "if," though. That will be much easier said than done against that secondary. The windows he does find, if he finds them, will be very tight.
Defensively, Texas will need to get constant pressure on Jones and force him to hurry. On the ground, they need to look for the strip. Put the ball on the ground. If they can do that more than once, the Longhorns have a chance.
How Oklahoma will win
For the Sooners, finding open holes in the Texas secondary is key. They need big blocking up front and a solid pocket to give Jones the time he needs. Disciplined route-running and accurate passing will set the tone for the Oklahoma offense.
The running backs will need to hang onto the ball. A high turnover game will favor Texas in this contest and cripple the Sooners. Possession and field position will be the bread and butter for Oklahoma.
When Texas has the ball, the Sooners will want to focus on the run. If they can force Texas into passing situations, it works in favor of Oklahoma. A shootout-type of game is exactly what the Sooners want. If the scoring gets high, look for Oklahoma to be on top.
http://www.examiner.com/article/2012...weight-matchup
Old 10-13-2012   #73
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Who else is enjoying the game? Boomer! Sooners!
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012   #74
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, Oklahoma is laying the wood to UT. Sooners look great.
Old 10-13-2012   #75
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Just turned the game on, saw the score, was like "wow!".

Then saw the clock and was like "WOW!!!".
Old 10-13-2012   #76
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Just turned the game on, saw the score, was like "wow!".

Then saw the clock and was like "WOW!!!".
Man it's rough for UT, they showed a stat at the beginning of the 2nd quarter, 300+ yards Sooners, 14 yards for UT.
Old 10-13-2012   #77
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
Man it's rough for UT, they showed a stat at the beginning of the 2nd quarter, 300+ yards Sooners, 14 yards for UT.
Old 10-13-2012   #78
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

.....Longhorns
Sooners
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012   #79
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

What do you expect when your offense can't sustain a drive? That Texas defense has been on the field over 20 minutes this half... ugly.
Old 10-13-2012   #80
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

3rd Q score: 36 - 2; Boomer-Sooners !
Yea UT screwed up the Big 12, now they still can't compete with the good teams there. Sorry-Azz outfit, serves them right !
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read