Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-07-2012   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans' Wade Phillips would like a head-coaching gig

............But.........

Quote:
The son of iconic 89-year-old former Houston Oilers head coach Bum Phillips, Wade would love to get one last shot to show what he can do as sideline head of a franchise.

"I'd love to be a head coach again,'' Phillips told USA TODAY Sports. "I don't think I'll get that opportunity. I think just age. And I think people tend to think I wasn't successful as a head coach but only as a defensive coordinator.

"They don't look at my record. They say, 'Oh, you got fired here. You got fired there. So you're not a good head coach.'

"But that's all right, I love it here.''
USA TODAY 10/7/12

............And we love you here, too!
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #2
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans' Wade Phillips would like a head-coaching gig

I am surprised he didn't go after the Tampa Bay job last year.

Wade Phillps was hired as the Dallas coach when he was 60. Marv Levy was hired when he was 61. Dick Vermeil was hired when he was 65. These are the oldest NFL head coach hires I can recall. Vermeil of course, had a superbowl victory and superbowl appearance though. We have seen the trend go back towards younger, coordinatos and younger re-treads. Guys in their 40s and 50s are getting the jobs.

Wade is correct that as he gets older it will get tougher and tougher to get a Head coaching gig. He is already 65 years old. Next year, he would be 66 before the first game is played. I think this is the make it or break it offseason for him. If he is not offered and odes not take a head coaching job this upcoming offseason, he will be 67 years old. It will be tough for a GM to hire a 67 year old head coach in the NFL.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #3
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah Wade. We love you here. Stick around and enjoy life in Houston.
Philippians 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #4
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76315 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I understand pride and ego play a big part in him wanting to be a HC again but its not like the guy is "settling" for a job here.

Highest paid DC in the league, in his hometown where his family is put on a throne and revered.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #5
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
I understand pride and ego play a big part in him wanting to be a HC again but its not like the guy is "settling" for a job here.

Highest paid DC in the league, in his hometown where his family is put on a throne and revered.
Agree.

Also, I don't think it's necessarily age. I think some owners are so desperate that they'd hire an experienced head coach, regardless of age. I just think Wade has been labeled "Mediocre head coach, outstanding Defensive Coordinator."

The head coaching gig is very big picture. Wade's been fired several times from that job, so, it looks to a lot of people like he can't lead. And that's ok. He's still an amazingly experienced coach, has an astonishing eye for recruiting (JJ Watt, aka, WHO?) and is a great defensive coordinator.
houstonspartan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #6
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
I am surprised he didn't go after the Tampa Bay job last year.
I'm not. The fact that, after thinking about it, he declined to even meet with the Bucs tells you something about that organization. They're already two for two in local television blackouts. A black hole.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #7
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9598 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Sometimes I think he puts this stuff out there to make sure McNair keeps himself one of the highest paid. I am half sarcastic, half joking, and half honest.
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-07-2012   #8
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Hope he stays forever but I can see him getting offered a HC gig that he wants.
Old 10-07-2012   #9
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBull View Post
Sometimes I think he puts this stuff out there to make sure McNair keeps himself one of the highest paid. I am half sarcastic, half joking, and half honest.
Or half hoping.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #10
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBull View Post
Lol. Trust me, McNair knows what Wade has done for his franchise. There's no need for Wade to pull anything like this to stay on McNair's radar.

Kubiak put the franchise on the map, but, Wade elevated it to the upper-level of the NFL. McNair knows that.
houstonspartan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

It would be cool if we could do something at the next home game to show Wade how much we appreciate him here & put a kabosh on this head coaching talk.

I understand where Wade is coming from, I also think his record & what he's done here will make him a prime candidate this coming off-season. The only thing I didn't like about the Tama Bay gig was that he didn't ask them to wait till after our play-off run & it's Tampa bay, he can do so much better than that.
Old 10-07-2012   #12
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets worry about it after Feb!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #13
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

what will be will be.

I see it as "I am busting my tail off at the DC position so that I might get a HC job again in the future" basically no different than if TJ Yates said that he is working hard and wanting to be a starting QB in the league.

with that said, I hope we are grooming a replacement and if so, who would you think would be able to fill those shoes, if we were to go in house

just for conversation sake

BTW I agree with Sandy ..Feb would be a better time to worry
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
what will be will be.

I see it as "I am busting my tail off at the DC position so that I might get a HC job again in the future" basically no different than if TJ Yates said that he is working hard and wanting to be a starting QB in the league.

with that said, I hope we are grooming a replacement and if so, who would you think would be able to fill those shoes, if we were to go in house

just for conversation sake

BTW I agree with Sandy ..Feb would be a better time to worry

It didn't work out so well when he was out for surgery last year. Somebody better have picked it up a bit since then if that was to happen.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade would be a great HC.

Working for Jerrah and Ralph Wilson is losing proposition for completely different reasons.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #16
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

how about we win the superbowl, then let wade be head coach and kubiak offensive coordinator for the next.
Old 10-07-2012   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

EDITED.

You're not going anywhere, Wade. Stop this FECES already.

You're once again distracting us in the middle of a fantastic run, like you did last year I might add.

Starting to get pissed off about this. He needs to tell all reporters that questions about becoming a head coach again are off limits. He's the FREAKing defensive coordinator here and frankly, McNair should have built into his contract that Wade would decline to answer such questions at all times.

This FECES was reported LAST year, now here it is again THIS year. Bob should have a sit down with Wade and his agent, let them know this FECES is getting old. Yeah, yeah, yeah...."You can't stop a reporter from asking a question!" But you can start the interview by saying contractually you are not going to answer those questions, so let's skip to the questions about the FREAKING HOUSTON TEXANS already. End of problem.

Last edited by GP; 10-07-2012 at 03:08 PM.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #18
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
**** ... ****ing ... **** ... **** ... ****ING ...

Last edited by Playoffs; 10-07-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #19
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 4127 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
You're not going anywhere, Wade. Stop this **** already.

You're once again distracting us in the middle of a fantastic run, like you did last year I might add.

Starting to get pissed off about this. He needs to tell all reporters that questions about becoming a head coach again are off limits. He's the ****ing defensive coordinator here and frankly, McNair should have built into his contract that Wade would decline to answer such questions at all times.

This **** was reported LAST year, now here it is again THIS year. Bob should have a sit down with Wade and his agent, let them know this **** is getting old. Yeah, yeah, yeah...."You can't stop a reporter from asking a question!" But you can start the interview by saying contractually you are not going to answer those questions, so let's skip to the questions about the ****ING HOUSTON TEXANS already. End of problem.
Why are acting like a spoiled child throwing a fit? Just like most high school and college football playing kid dreams about the NFL, rookies dreaming about stars and Pro Bowls, the coaches that are not Head Coaches already dream about getting that status again. It is, has been, and will always be Phillips's dream to be a HC again. The players understand that and if anything they should be both prepared for it and play harder to convince him to stay or make the last ride more memorable. Also, if any players DO get distracted by this, they are not the mature and ready player we need.
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenjy9 View Post
Why are acting like a spoiled child throwing a fit? Just like most high school and college football playing kid dreams about the NFL, rookies dreaming about stars and Pro Bowls, the coaches that are not Head Coaches already dream about getting that status again. It is, has been, and will always be Phillips's dream to be a HC again. The players understand that and if anything they should be both prepared for it and play harder to convince him to stay or make the last ride more memorable. Also, if any players DO get distracted by this, they are not the mature and ready player we need.
For one thing, this team--The Texans--they gave Wade a chance after he fell on his face trying to be a head coach (again).

Now here we are, supposedly on a track for the Super Bowl, like we were last year, and yet AGAIN we have Wade making comments about being a head coach...after having been made a very rich man by Bob McNair to be our d-coord.

So yeah, I make a big deal of it. I like the Texans. I don't particularly like stepping-stoners like Wade pulling this same old trick on an annual basis. One foot in, one foot out, looking for ways to attain a position he has no business trying to attain if we want all be perfectly honest about it.

I guess I also sort of begin to get curious about his intellect. Does he not know or appreciate the idea of being "THE BEST" at something, no matter what that is? You can make a lot of money, be very happy, AND attain accolades by being the best at something. Being head coach is not Wade's talent. He won't be the best at it, hell he won't even be MEDIOCRE at it. Yet he had to be one?

LOL. Some people struggle with crack cocaine. Some people have a gambling problem. I guess Wade's kryptonite is NFL head coach.

I shake my head at it. I really do. And the residue off it is that WE and our players have to deal with it. What players on our team talk the way this man talks? When was the last time Brian Cushing or any other player said "Yeah, I like it here...but I still dream of being with a SB team like the Giants or Patriots too."??????? They don't. No other Texans coach does this stuff, either, by the way.

Just when I get to the point of forgiving Wade for last year's transgression...he goes and pulls me back in with a new one. And it's identical to the last one. So I wonder about him. Great defensive mind, no doubt. Other areas? I dunno.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read