Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 09-29-2012   #41
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texas Longhorns Football - 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
Hook'em Horns!
Hey, that's actually a really cool logo. Mind if I copy?
Old 09-29-2012   #42
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11948 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Hey, that's actually a really cool logo. Mind if I copy?
Sure, go ahead. I copied it off of a Google search just now myself.

By the way, msr.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #43
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 35195 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

I am a UT supporter. Now that that's out of the way here is my assessment of the game:

1. UT offense looks solid. Ash is passing the ball reasonably well down the field. Unlike last year where he made boneheaded decisions, this year he is making much better ones. He is only a sophomore so I am excited to see his development this season. UT running game looks good. They have a stable of good running back options. The offensive line is looking better than they have in a couple of years. Compared to where I thought they would be, the offense is doing better than I expected.

2. UT defense looks bad...really bad. The OSU running game shredded the Longhorn D. 8 yards per carry for Walsh, 7.1 for the QB, and overall almost 7 yards per run? That is pitiful. I don't know what happened, but suddenly UT cannot tackle. I have not seen such a pitiful tackling display since the Texans introduced the Olé defense a few years ago. I don't know what happened. Last year Manny Diaz's defense was solid if not good. I thought his year would be as good if not better. This year they can't tackle. Very disappointing effort. Compared to where I thought they would be, the defense is light years worse than I expected.

3. The end of today's game. Very good play calling and good execution on Texas' offense. On the final Texas touchdown, on replay it was clear Bergeron fumbled the ball. What was not clear, however, was who got the ball in the pileup. Since it was inconclusive, the play had to stand. Had it been ruled a fumble, there would not have been enough evidence to overturn it. In this case the refs had to let that call stand.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #44
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sure, go ahead. I copied it off of a Google search just now myself.

By the way, msr.

I got me.
Old 09-29-2012   #45
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11948 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
2. UT defense looks bad...really bad. The OSU running game shredded the Longhorn D. 8 yards per carry for Walsh, 7.1 for the QB, and overall almost 7 yards per run? That is pitiful. I don't know what happened, but suddenly UT cannot tackle. I have not seen such a pitiful tackling display since the Texans introduced the Olé defense a few years ago. I don't know what happened. Last year Manny Diaz's defense was solid if not good. I thought his year would be as good if not better. This year they can't tackle. Very disappointing effort. Compared to where I thought they would be, the defense is light years worse than I expected.
I agree with pretty much your entire post. But the part about the defense is especially worthy of note. To be fair, I think Oklahoma State is a very good offensive football team, which they demonstrated tonight. That being said, there is no excuse for how poorly the Longhorns looked on certain plays on defense throughout the evening.

With West Virginia coming to town, there will be no excuses. The Longhorns defense will need to play better against the Miners to win that game. But at the same time, their defense will have to play better than they did against the Bears to beat the Longhorns. I expect that the Longhorns will play better, and that WVU probably will too.

Over the next two weeks, we will see how good or bad this Texas team really is. Next Saturday at home against WVU and then the following Saturday against Oklahoma in Dallas.

But if Texas somehow manages to squeeze out wins against both of these teams, however ugly those wins might be, I don't want to hear any more whining and bellyaching from the UT haters out there. The Horns will have proved it on the football field.
Old 09-30-2012   #46
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36745 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Got nothing to do with who I like or don't like. I remember in your eye the Horns do nothing wrong. No biggie my friend.

Go Horns, 12th is as high as they'll get playing that kind of football.
With Stanford's loss they are likely going to rise in the rankings playing that kind of football.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #47
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
With Stanford's loss they are likely going to rise in the rankings playing that kind of football.
That should bump the Horns up to #11 and WVU probably to #8. To be fair, if the Horns cannot beat WVU, they do not deserve to move any higher. But I suspect that Texas will be favored at home by a narrow margin and has a very good chance to win that game next Saturday.

If Texas beats WVU, then who is demonstrably better than Texas from #9 - #25 in the rankings? No one that I can see.
Old 09-30-2012   #48
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
Of course.
Old 09-30-2012   #49
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 11189 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Texas beats WVU next week and you guys are still being unduly negative about the Horns, then it might be time to realize that your opinions about the Longhorns really are more a function of your attitudes towards the University than the play of the football team.
no, people's opinions are based on texas fans. nobody hates a school.

as for the refereeing, the fumble/touchdown was a bad call, but like dopp said it wasn't clear and therefore had to stand as called. it's just another instance where people see texas seemingly be the beneficiary of an official's terrible decision at an important juncture of the game.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #50
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbat488 View Post

as for the refereeing, the fumble/touchdown was a bad call, but like dopp said it wasn't clear and therefore had to stand as called. it's just another instance where people see texas seemingly be the beneficiary of an official's terrible decision at an important juncture of the game.
That one word cost you a great post.
Old 09-30-2012   #51
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbat488 View Post

Welcome to an Aggie fan, weighing in on the most recent win by the Texas Longhorns.

Well, in any case, I wish the Aggies well in the SEC, and I will be rooting for them to win every game they play, unless they play UT again, of course. So please do not think that any lingering animosity harbored towards Texas by so many A&M fans is generally reciprocated back at you guys. Certainly in my case, nothing could be further from the truth.

So, if this is the way you happen to feel, it is a one-way deal.
Old 09-30-2012   #52
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 11189 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

thanks for rooting for us. texas fans only care about ou, I know..

Last edited by pbat488; 09-30-2012 at 05:21 PM.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012   #53
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

West Virginia 48 - Texas 45

West Virginia stepped up their game to the next level tonight, especially on defense. I did not believe that WVU was going to be able to pull of that level of improvement on defense after giving up 63 points to Baylor last week. But they did. The Miners are evolving before our eyes into a very good football team.

Texas on the other hand, continued to struggle on defense. There were a lot of missed tackles and far too many big plays. The pressure on the QB was reasonably good, but a lot of credit has to go to WVU QB Geno Smith, who will almost certainly be one of the early QB's taken in the NFL draft next year. He looked great.

The Horns did not look terrible, but they were certainly not as good as WVU was tonight. However, the Longhorns defense does appear to continue to be in need of some remedial improvements.

Next up, Oklahoma in Dallas, who put a 41-20 shellacking on Texas Tech tonight.
Old 10-07-2012   #54
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Quote:
West Virginia 48 - Texas 45

West Virginia stepped up their game to the next level tonight, especially on defense. I did not believe that WVU was going to be able to pull of that level of improvement on defense after giving up 63 points to Baylor last week. But they did. The Miners are evolving before our eyes into a very good football team.

Texas on the other hand, continued to struggle on defense. There were a lot of missed tackles and far too many big plays. The pressure on the QB was reasonably good, but a lot of credit has to go to WVU QB Geno Smith, who will almost certainly be one of the early QB's taken in the NFL draft next year. He looked great.

The Horns did not look terrible, but they were certainly not as good as WVU was tonight. However, the Longhorns defense does appear to continue to be in need of some remedial improvements.

Next up, Oklahoma in Dallas, who put a 41-20 shellacking on Texas Tech tonight.
No sir. They beat an inferior team.
Old 10-07-2012   #55
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 52985 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do you have a favorite college team or is it just whomever is playing Texas each week?
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #56
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28847 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did you actually watch the game? The scoreboard was decided on a botched snap when Texas was inside West Virginia's five yard-line late in the fourth quarter. It was about a twenty yard loss and a FG was missed on the next play. Both teams looked equal to me last night.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #57
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Did you actually watch the game? The scoreboard was decided on a botched snap when Texas was inside West Virginia's five yard-line late in the fourth quarter. It was about a twenty yard loss and a FG was missed on the next play. Both teams looked equal to me last night.
That's part of being a good complete team.

If you are botching snaps and missing field goals and the other team isnt then you aren't as good as them.

I can see if you are saying there were some questionable calls by the Refs or something beyond the control of coaching and players on the field, but they made those errors, hence they didn't play as well as the other team.

Maybe if they played again they could win, but on that day they were not as good.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #58
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28847 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
That's part of being a good complete team.

If you are botching snaps and missing field goals and the other team isnt then you aren't as good as them.

I can see if you are saying there were some questionable calls by the Refs or something beyond the control of coaching and players on the field, but they made those errors, hence they didn't play as well as the other team.

Maybe if they played again they could win, but on that day they were not as good.
I understand that Texas lost the game. I just don't think they are inferior to West Virginia because they botched a snap. West Virginia didn't seem to trust their kicking game either (both teams were going for every 4th down). 'A good complete team' doesn't give up 45 points.

I'm not knocking West Virginia by any means, I just don't think they're superior because Texas failed to convert in the redzone late.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012   #59
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I understand that Texas lost the game. I just don't think they are inferior to West Virginia because they botched a snap. West Virginia didn't seem to trust their kicking game either (both teams were going for every 4th down). 'A good complete team' doesn't give up 45 points.

I'm not knocking West Virginia by any means, I just don't think they're superior because Texas failed to convert in the redzone late.
To be fair, West Virginia did win the game in Austin. We do have to give the Miners some credit. This was a big win for them. And Texas did not look all that great on the defensive side of the ball.

These are both very good college football teams. But this year, WVU is better. They proved it on the field. Nobody was cheated. it was not the referees fault. And neither George W. Bush or Barack Obama was there, so they cannot be blamed either.

I hate to say it, but it is true and it needs to be said. Texas does not deserve to be ranked in the top 10 right now, and they will not be, because they just are not good enough. If the Horns want to be ranked in the top 10 going forward, then they will have to win games like this, at home against an opponent ranked slightly higher than them.

There is no excuse. I am as big a Texas fan as anyone here on this board - I authored this thread, for crying out loud - but let's be reasonable here. The Texas Longhorns lost to a better WVU team in Austin yesterday. That is all there is to it.
Old 10-07-2012   #60
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 52985 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To be fair, West Virginia did win the game in Austin. We do have to give the Miners some credit.
OK, they are new to the Big 12 so you get a pass. They are the Mountaineers ..lol. UTEP are the Miners.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read