Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-05-2012   #21
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wanting National Respect for Team is Part of Being a Fan

I want a bunch of bandwagoners and the Texans to be the new America's team. My reason? More national and regional coverage here in New Mexico so I don't have to buy the Sunday Ticket anymore!
Old 10-05-2012   #22
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

"Respect" is something they yap about in prison and on street corners. Pfft.

All these media bandwagonners will be more than happy to bury a knife in our backs if we fail. They salivate at the thought.

Real fans here want wins. One after another, until it's Super Bowl time. When we win the Lombardi, I sure as heck won't be celebrating with some east coast beat writer ..... I'll be with my team and here on TT with my fellow fans.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #23
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

I will say this year everything is getting better... Here 100 miles South of Houston the shelves and hangers at Wal Mart are finally being stocked with Texans gear...just two years ago I couldn't find one shirt or hat at the La Porte/Pasadena/Whatever Wal Mart, and not because they were sold out...they only had spots for Cowboys gear...

Also, the Academy down here has finally come through... Texans hats and jerseys etc.. are about 50/50 with Cowboys stuff...last year it was about 10/90...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #24
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
I will say this year everything is getting better... Here 100 miles South of Houston the shelves and hangers at Wal Mart are finally being stocked with Texans gear...just two years ago I couldn't find one shirt or hat at the La Porte/Pasadena/Whatever Wal Mart, and not because they were sold out...they only had spots for Cowboys gear...

Also, the Academy down here has finally come through... Texans hats and jerseys etc.. are about 50/50 with Cowboys stuff...last year it was about 10/90...
'Bout freakin' time that started to happen.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #25
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
There's no guarantee that will bring any national respect either. Remember the Rocket's 1st NBA title and how they were "dissed" by the so called "national media" when, I think it was Sports Illustrated, left them off the front cover of their magazine and put some lame golf tournament coverage on the front. They backpedaled some when the Houston fans started complaining and cancelling their subscriptions, and they rushed to put out a special issue with all Rockets NBA Championship coverage.

It doesn't bother me much anymore about what the national media thinks of Houston and its sports teams. I've come to expect it from them. I guess the only revenge we have now is, in the immortal words of Al Davis (aka. "the crypt-keeper"), "Just win baby!"
Yes, I remember that very well, and you are correct, there is no guarantee the media will respect us even if we do win a SB, which solidifies my point about them being bias. As for fans from other teams respecting us, that will come with time. I still remember all the positive comments made about our team from Ravens fans when we were there last year. One that sticks out to me was, "we have no reason to hate you." Will winning a SB give opposing teams fans a reason to "hate" us?? Who knows. I'll always "hate" the cowboys, BUT, I LOVE the Niners!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #26
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Speaking of finally being able to find a decent selection of Texans gear at my local Academy, i picked this cap up the weekend of the 1st game...had about five choices compared to last year's one...love it!:

Old 10-05-2012   #27
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 132284 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Speaking of finally being able to find a decent selection of Texans gear at my local Academy, i picked this cap up the weekend of the 1st game...had about five choices compared to last year's one...love it!:

Nice hat. What's more impressive is that you actually bent the bill and removed the sticker. That alone deserves rep.
Old 10-05-2012   #28
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, for some reason it's hard for me to find a Texans hat that fits my head. Either too big or too tight and gives me a headache.
Old 10-05-2012   #29
bo orlando
Veteran

Rep Power: 1426 bo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Been thinking about this subject and decided to blog about it... As a Texans fan it does bother me a little that they do not get the national attention I feel they deserve. I'm not completely pissed about it, and I even understand it, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't "want it".

threw it together pretty quick today, so don't go bashing my mistakes too hard now... Thanks...

finish it here (hey, just following the rules ): http://thezimmway.blogspot.com/2012/...s-part-of.html

Nothing more annoying in my opinion than fans (and players too) whining that their team is "disrespected" by the media. Texans are 4-0 and pretty much everybody i've read who covers the nfl has labeled them the best team in the league, with watt hyped as the breakout defensive star of the league. what do you want, for media to label them "the awesomest team ever?"
bo orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #30
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I have been calling that for years, that winning will cure everything. Like or not, admit it or not, Texas (as most southern states) is full of bandwagon fans. Stores like Academy know this and stock accordingly.

If the Texans keep this up and Jerry keeps falling into his own "glory hole" you are going to see more and more fans jumping from the Cowboys to the Texans. I personally know a few myself.

You will know that the Texans finally have turned the corner when TV stations in Austin no longer cut away during the closing minutes of an early Texans game just to go to a late Cowboys game pregame show.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #31
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
Nice hat. What's more impressive is that you actually bent the bill and removed the sticker. That alone deserves rep.
Lol, it actually came semi-bent... The only cap they had last year was huuuge, wouldn't have looked good even bent...

Old 10-05-2012   #32
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo orlando View Post
Nothing more annoying in my opinion than fans (and players too) whining that their team is "disrespected" by the media. Texans are 4-0 and pretty much everybody i've read who covers the nfl has labeled them the best team in the league, with watt hyped as the breakout defensive star of the league. what do you want, for media to label them "the awesomest team ever?"
I think you're missing my point... I'm not talking about national guys labeling the Texans the best, or praising our players, I'm talking about the amount of coverage... A lot of fans are talking about that when they say "respect"..

And I think a lot of people are missing my main point: for a lot of fans, soaking in national coverage is a part of their fan experience...right or wrong it is what it is... Why do people link to national stories about the Texans on this message board if we "don't" care? Why was there a huuuge thread about what Michael Lombardi said last year if we really don't care what the national media says? It's because we "do", and we want "more" (whether you're willing to admit it or not)...

Like I said, it is what it is... I admit I understand why there has been a lack, that the lack itself doesn't really bother me and that i actually do see it turning around... My blog post was more about "why" fans care, and that's because they're "fans"! Bandwagon or not...

Old 10-05-2012   #33
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hold up. I'm confused. A good chuck of the country - and most sports writers - have us going to the Super Bowl. How is that not respect? No, we don't dominate ESPN highlights. But, so?

Staying below the radar is always a good thing, IMO.

Guys, we really need to get past this, "No one likes us!" nonsense. We are one of the best teams in the National Football League.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #34
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Hold up. I'm confused. A good chuck of the country - and most sports writers - have us going to the Super Bowl. How is that not respect? No, we don't dominate ESPN highlights. But, so?

Staying below the radar is always a good thing, IMO.

Guys, we really need to get past this, "No one likes us!" nonsense. We are one of the best teams in the National Football League.
As has mentioned in this thread previously, there's a big difference between respect and coverage, but there are some who seem to equate the two.

The Jets have gotten hours upon hours of national airtime lately, but I have yet to see any of it that even borders on respecting the team. The Cowboys have and will get more airtime than any team that doesn't hail from New York, yet it's been a long time (like 15 years) since any of that coverage displayed much in the way of respect for the Cowboys.

Two teams I would characterize as at or near the top of the "respect" list would be the Packers and the Steelers. While both of those teams have large national fan bases, I don't get bombarded with stories about either one of them every time I turn on ESPN/NFLN. I'm guessing both teams are okay with that, and view it, at least partially, as a sign that their level of dysfunction is very low. Heck, the Giants have won two Super Bowls in the last 5 years, and don't receive as much coverage as the Jets (but receive infinitely more respect).

As far as the Texans, if they just keep winning, I'll be happy. If you feel there's not enough national coverage of them because ESPN is focused on the mess with the Jets or Jerry's latest Papa Johns commercial, well - let's just say I don't share your angst.
Old 10-05-2012   #35
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Meanwhile, on ESPN...

Banner Year
The Texans are well on their way to clinching the AFC South, and bigger things could be on the way.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/
Old 10-05-2012   #36
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
As has mentioned in this thread previously, there's a big difference between respect and coverage, but there are some who seem to equate the two.

The Jets have gotten hours upon hours of national airtime lately, but I have yet to see any of it that even borders on respecting the team. The Cowboys have and will get more airtime than any team that doesn't hail from New York, yet it's been a long time (like 15 years) since any of that coverage displayed much in the way of respect for the Cowboys.

Two teams I would characterize as at or near the top of the "respect" list would be the Packers and the Steelers. While both of those teams have large national fan bases, I don't get bombarded with stories about either one of them every time I turn on ESPN/NFLN. I'm guessing both teams are okay with that, and view it, at least partially, as a sign that their level of dysfunction is very low. Heck, the Giants have won two Super Bowls in the last 5 years, and don't receive as much coverage as the Jets (but receive infinitely more respect).

As far as the Texans, if they just keep winning, I'll be happy. If you feel there's not enough national coverage of them because ESPN is focused on the mess with the Jets or Jerry's latest Papa Johns commercial, well - let's just say I don't share your angst.
Yes, there will be people who say that the Texans are in a weak division. Or that we have a weak schedule. Or that we've played a lot of rookie quarterbacks. Or that we've played against rookie head coaches. Or that we're only winning because Manning is no longer our nemesis. Or that our retractable roof shades us from heat. Or that we're paying off the refs. Or that Gary Kubiak is part of the bloodline of Jesus and Mary Magdaline. Or that we're forever cursed because we never drafted Vince Young. Or that we're doomed because we let Mario go. Or that Arian being a vegan makes him weak and he'll eventually collapse.

Who cares?????
Old 10-05-2012   #37
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post

It depends on how the word respect is used.. by the true definition you're right in that it probably doesn't apply to this situation (lack of coverage).. But in how Rodney Dangerfield used it for an example, it for sure applies to the "lack of coverage" IMO...

I'll say it again and again, the "lack" doesn't really bother me as much either... but for fans it does bother, I understand them because it is a part of being a fan for a lot of people...

I'm not black or white on this issue... Just something i wanted to hit on...

Old 10-05-2012   #38
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Quote:
Quote:

Who cares?????
A lot of fans do?

Point completely missed...

Old 10-05-2012   #39
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
A lot of fans do?

Point completely missed...
Oh, I got your point. I just disagree. Those fans that care are simply wrong, and are putting their energies in the wrong place.
Old 10-05-2012   #40
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Oh, I got your point. I just disagree. Those fans that care are simply wrong, and are putting their energies in the wrong place.
Disagreeing with them is fine... But they're not players...buying into the hype of their team effects their team's record by 0.. I don't know how it's wrong for a fan to want to see more hype nationally (which is what they want, or ESPN would have never gotten as big as it did)..it may not be for you or me, but if it is for them, i'm saying i get it...

Now doing the wave when the O is on the field? That is "wrong" because the noise "can" effect the team...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read