Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-04-2012   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Some encouraging news on Brooks!

Quote:
(on if RG Antoine Caldwell isnt available then having G Brandon Brooks play) Hes made progress. Hes made a lot of progress. Hes a better player now than he was when we left camp. Hes lighter. Hes worked really hard at his trade. Were probably not going to know until he gets thrown in the spot, that type of thing. Is that this week? I dont know. Hes disappointed hes not part of whats going on right now. He hasnt been suiting, and thats a good thing. That means hes working hard to get ready to play.
link
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Some encouraging news on Brooks!

Next man up!

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #3
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder how many pounds he's lost? I know they wanted him to lose some weight to improve his endurance, but to me, he never looked "over weight" or out of shape in the photos and footage I've seen of him.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #4
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I wonder how many pounds he's lost? I know they wanted him to lose some weight to improve his endurance, but to me, he never looked "over weight" or out of shape in the photos and footage I've seen of him.
At the combine, he weighed in at 346. He was told to lose weight before OTAs. He came in at 352. Kubiak was upset. They wanted him at 330.
Old 10-04-2012   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
How is not suiting up a good thing? If he was working hard, would he not be in uniform getting some plays? I think Brooks is in Kubes dog house for eating too much kibbles and bits. Gary is throwing him a bone but with little meat on it.

Brooks and Posey need to bring it next season.
Old 10-04-2012   #6
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
How is not suiting up a good thing? If he was working hard, would he not be in uniform getting some plays? I think Brooks is in Kubes dog house for eating too much kibbles and bits. Gary is throwing him a bone but with little meat on it.

With Caldwell already playing with a bum ankle after playing through bilateral high ankle sprains last year, Brooks is obviously Kubiak's next man up and will likely be used sooner than later.
Old 10-04-2012   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
With Caldwell already playing with a bum ankle after playing through bilateral high ankle sprains last year, Brooks is obviously Kubiak's next man up and will likely be used sooner than later.
Yep, I want him on the field & against Jets may be good for him. He has had time to get into NFL shape.
Old 10-04-2012   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agree, he didn't look overweight in all the games I watched him play in college and he didn't look overweight in PS either.

But if he can keep it down further, he will be all the better on cut blocks, on pulls and on the second level.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Make him more hungry?

Errrh, bad choice of words!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 219370 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How is not suiting up a good thing?
Not suiting up wasn't a good thing. His being pissed off about not suiting up was a good thing.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

He has to develop a mean streak like Duane Brown possesses.

The game might be too big for him right now, so he has to flip a switch and own the moment if he gets it. My fear is that he has the size and the basic skill set...but lacks the snap-to-snap killer instinct due to his age and inexperience in the NFL.

IF he can find that inner badass, he is going to straight up MAUL opposing linemen. Teams would freak out if they had to face a line of Duane Brown, Wade Smith/Jones, Myers, Jones/Brooks, and Newton. That's almost criminal.
Old 10-05-2012   #12
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

CND, Thanks for the story and link. That's some excellent news. I'm glad to hear that Brooks sounds mad about not suiting up and sounds like he's got a good work ethic going on so that he can get out there. He'll make some mistakes in the beginning but that's just part of learning and growing into the position. Hopefully he can get some playing time soon and get those rookie mistakes out of the way this year because I firmly believe that Brooks is the future of the RG spot for the Texans.

I just wish I had as much confidence in Newton at RT. We'll see.

Last edited by Wolf6151; 10-05-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #13
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 74835 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

That is pretty exciting, with Jones, Caldwell and Brooks that is a good guard rotation for when we don't resign Smith.
Old 10-05-2012   #14
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

The game might be too big for him right now, so he has to flip a switch and own the moment if he gets it. My fear is that he has the size and the basic skill set...but lacks the snap-to-snap killer instinct due to his age and inexperience in the NFL.

IF he can find that inner badass, he is going to straight up MAUL opposing linemen. Teams would freak out if they had to face a line of Duane Brown, Wade Smith/Jones, Myers, Jones/Brooks, and Newton. That's almost criminal.

Why would they freak out about a rookie guard? Seriously GP, your logic is so flawed here.
Old 10-05-2012   #15
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84758 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
Why would they freak out about a rookie guard? Seriously GP, your logic is so flawed here.
???
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
That is pretty exciting, with Jones, Caldwell and Brooks that is a good guard rotation for when we don't resign Smith.
Smith is signed through 2013. Caldwell will be a FA after this season.

Quote:

You do realize that you are just making stuff up, right? Brooks has been criticized by Kubiak for weight and stamina. Not his make up. A total fabrication.
Old 10-05-2012   #17
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm excited for the future about these kids on the oline, it seems as if when the likes of Myers and Briesel came in they had to do almost all of their learning on the job as starters.

We've got the luxury of letting these guys sit and learn and throwing them out there as the coaching staff want. It can only be a good thing.

I know Newton is getting some stick right now but lets just remember this guy was a 7th round pick playing tackle in the NFL, it seems the coaches may have favoured Butler to start this season due to experience, so lets give the guy a chance to develop. I'm sure we'll be drafting at the position in the offseason anyway to keep the production line moving.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He didn't look out of shape, but when you are that big you will get fatigued faster than if you lose some weight. 330 is plenty big enough.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You realize he is known for his physicality and aggressiveness right?

Hard to show that when you aren't sure if what you're doing.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #20
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
He didn't look out of shape, but when you are that big you will get fatigued faster than if you lose some weight. 330 is plenty big enough.
Yes, I realize that, but how much has he lost? Is he staying in the "doghouse" because he isn't losing the weight, or has he lost the weight and it's just a numbers game now with Jones and Caldwell ahead of him? To me, he has more upside than Jones because of his athletic ability and size, but was behind Jones in actual development as a player due to Jones playing in the SEC and Brooks playing at Miami (Ohio). My guess is we won't see him this year unless there is an injury situation, like Caldwell now, or we wrap up the division early and Kubes starts playing a lot of the 2nd and 3rd string late in the season.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read