Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-04-2012   #1
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4924 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wanting National Respect for Team is Part of Being a Fan

Been thinking about this subject and decided to blog about it... As a Texans fan it does bother me a little that they do not get the national attention I feel they deserve. I'm not completely pissed about it, and I even understand it, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't "want it".

threw it together pretty quick today, so don't go bashing my mistakes too hard now... Thanks...

Quote:
One thing that will bother a Texans fan more than anything -outside of hearing the name David Ca…nevermind- is what seems to be a lack of respect/coverage by the national sports media. And one thing that bothers ‘this’ Texans fan just as much is hearing local radio guys and even some fans ask the question, “Why do Texans fans care so much about the team being respected nationally?” The answer is in the question: “Fans”!
finish it here (hey, just following the rules ): http://thezimmway.blogspot.com/2012/...s-part-of.html

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Im not in the business of telling others how they should feel.

That said I enjoy national respect/coverage but it doesn't upset me if we don't get it. I'm of the mindset that winning and beating other people is what I ultimately want. National respect and people around the country singing your praise doesn't accomplish that goal. It's just novelty.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #3
Outlaw7
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Outlaw7 is a quality contributor and well respectedOutlaw7 is a quality contributor and well respectedOutlaw7 is a quality contributor and well respectedOutlaw7 is a quality contributor and well respectedOutlaw7 is a quality contributor and well respectedOutlaw7 is a quality contributor and well respectedOutlaw7 is a quality contributor and well respectedOutlaw7 is a quality contributor and well respectedOutlaw7 is a quality contributor and well respectedOutlaw7 is a quality contributor and well respectedOutlaw7 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wanting National Respect for Team is Part of Being a Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Im not in the business of telling others how they should feel.

That said I enjoy national respect/coverage but it doesn't upset me if we don't get it. I'm of the mindset that winning and beating other people is what I ultimately want. National respect and people around the country singing your praise doesn't accomplish that goal. It's just novelty.
Agreed
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it is more that the fan wants self respect. It has to be earned, continuously. Fans continually like to think they are part of the team, impacting the team and making a difference; ego.
Old 10-04-2012   #5
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4924 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

I'm of the mindset that winning and beating other people is what I ultimately want.
I think that goes without saying...

Old 10-04-2012   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

EFF all the BULL****E......... Just keep winning one week at a time!!!!!!!! this week is the jets..Let' just handle that before we jerk each other off!
Old 10-05-2012   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
EFF all the BULL****E......... Just keep winning one week at a time!!!!!!!! this week is the jets..Let' just handle that before we jerk each other off!
Uh not sure what you have in .. er.. mind but no one handling anything of mine.
Old 10-05-2012   #8
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 59912 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel like we're getting a lot of attention. Arian Foster was on the cover of ESPN magazine, we're the consensus #1 team in the NFL, etc
Old 10-05-2012   #10
TheEastwood
Veteran

Rep Power: 935 TheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing I kept thinkin as I watched espn and nflnetwork this week was... I've never seen a 2-2 team (the definition of mediocrity) get this much attention. You would think the Jets were the only team in the league by the coverage they were getting. And even though the 4-0 Texans are the team they face next, they only mention I heard of them was in Rex Ryans press conference that nflnetwork aired repeatedly..... And I mean repeatedly. They must have shown the same PC like 15 times over the past 2 days
TheEastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #11
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109600 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know what you guys are watching or not watching. Almost every NFL show I am seeing they are all saying the Texans are the most complete team, best in the NFL, etc etc. After the Rams/Cards game on the NFL Network someone was saying Matt Schaub so far is the NFL MVP. Another one said JJ Watt is the MVP.

All NFL power rankings I have seen have the Texans as 1. What else do you want?

If anything I think they are getting too hyped up nationally for my liking.

The Jets are getting national attention because they are a train wreck and those types of stories are great for ratings. Believe me, you don't want the Texans getting that type of media attention. I am sure every Jets fan would swap the type of media attention the Texans are getting right now with what they are getting right now.

I don't see the Giants complaining either. They just win Super Bowls while the Jets get all of the media.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #12
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
I don't know what you guys are watching or not watching. Almost every NFL show I am seeing they are all saying the Texans are the most complete team, best in the NFL, etc etc. After the Rams/Cards game on the NFL Network someone was saying Matt Schaub so far is the NFL MVP. Another one said JJ Watt is the MVP.

All NFL power rankings I have seen have the Texans as 1. What else do you want?

Not talking about people saying the Texans are the best or ranking them #1 in a poll, talking about the air-time which still lacks... And the fact they are ranked #1 in the polls and still don't get as much air-time just goes with my whole point..it is turning around, though...

Like i said in the blog, i understand why there's been a lack...truly it doesn't bother me that much.. it just really bothers me that some expect fans not to care about it, with the whole "you should just want them to win" take...if that were the case why even tune into the games? Just check back in February and see how it shook out...

Old 10-05-2012   #13
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

It could be that NATIONAL RESPECT is more important to the bandwagoner fans than it is to us diehards who have been here through it all!! They obviously like all the attention, and want more, esp for themselves.

Right now, I could care less what all the talking heads say, or predict. The only thing that matters to me is holding up that Lombardi come Feb, and then getting to camp out at Reliant for a year looking at it!! THAT'S the prize that will bring National RESPECT, and with that will come short term attention! Short term because we are not located on the East Coast, nor do we have a flippin star stuck on our head.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #14
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 147070 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I truly do not care about national attention. I cared about before when access to team info, highlights, stories, etc were not as abundant. Now I can get my Texans fix almost almost anywhere. I don't need 'flavor of the month' love'.
Old 10-05-2012   #15
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post

Right now, I could care less what all the talking heads say, or predict. The only thing that matters to me is holding up that Lombardi come Feb, and then getting to camp out at Reliant for a year looking at it!! THAT'S the prize that will bring National RESPECT, and with that will come short term attention! Short term because we are not located on the East Coast, nor do we have a flippin star stuck on our head.
Lol...so you go from "I don't care" all the way around to "I'm bitter about it"...nice..

Old 10-05-2012   #16
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 50924 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

I want Super Bowl wins. If that does or doesn't bring "respect" is irrelevant. Which NY team do you want to be? The Giants - won the Super Bowl and are number 4 in their division in terms of "buzz". Or the Jets - who suck and get tons of "buzz".

Winning brings some attention. But when you are jumping out to a 20 point every week - not that interesting (except to Texans fans). Ho-hum. The Texans won. Big. Again. Next topic. Did you see the eyeblack on Tim Tebow?
Old 10-05-2012   #17
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans (And more specifically JJ Watt, and Matt Schaub's earlobe) have been getting lots of run lately. I certainly think that's only going to ramp up now once we get into our back to back prime time games.

Google News Results for Houston Texans
Old 10-05-2012   #18
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been a fan since day one and I would like to see the Texans get more attention. Not getting it would never stop me from being a Texans fan, but that's how I feel about it. It's true that I can get my fix without it, but I would like to see more Texans fans in the world. I work with a guy who is a 49ers fan right now and, while I've got nothing against the 49ers, I don't want to see 49ers fans around here; I want to see more Texans fans in California. I'd be fine with it if we went to New York Monday night and their seats were half filled with Texans jerseys.

There are teams with fans all over the country, like the Steelers, and, while it's not what matters most, I'd like to see that.

PS-what I love right now is the, "Oh, $^!+" we're getting from the fans of our upcoming opponents.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #19
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
Lol...so you go from "I don't care" all the way around to "I'm bitter about it"...nice..
Sorry, I don't follow your sarcasm!

I truly don't care about the media's take on our team! They are now, and have always been, biased toward East Coast teams, and the Cowboys! Where did you read that I am "bitter about it!"

There's a big difference between respect and attention, esp when it comes to the media, and I take it that IS what we're talking about. I truly don't know what point you're directing your sarcasm!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012   #20
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
It could be that NATIONAL RESPECT is more important to the bandwagoner fans than it is to us diehards who have been here through it all!! They obviously like all the attention, and want more, esp for themselves.

There's no guarantee that will bring any national respect either. Remember the Rocket's 1st NBA title and how they were "dissed" by the so called "national media" when, I think it was Sports Illustrated, left them off the front cover of their magazine and put some lame golf tournament coverage on the front. They backpedaled some when the Houston fans started complaining and cancelling their subscriptions, and they rushed to put out a special issue with all Rockets NBA Championship coverage.

It doesn't bother me much anymore about what the national media thinks of Houston and its sports teams. I've come to expect it from them. I guess the only revenge we have now is, in the immortal words of Al Davis (aka. "the crypt-keeper"), "Just win baby!"
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read