Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-04-2012   #1
PandapuffTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 337 PandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Is Wade phliips holding back?

Our defense has been great this year but I get the feeling wade hasn't shown all his cards. Am i the only one that feels this way?
PandapuffTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 176794 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is Wade phliips holding back?

Don't think he's gone to the lucky bikini underwear, yet.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #3
TejasTom
Get #80 a ring!

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 32888 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

GQ was on the radio this week and said something along the lines of Wade has complex stuff in the game plan if he needs it, he just hasn't needed it.

Posted using Tapatalk from my phone. May contain errors.
TejasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #4
PandapuffTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 337 PandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedPandapuffTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

whats that suppose to mean lol
Old 10-04-2012   #5
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 74437 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we've held back what we can do both offensively and defensively. Waiting for the competitive stretch in the schedule to open things up more. No point in giving the real teams more film than we need to.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #6
PandapuffTexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
GQ was on the radio this week and said something along the lines of Wade has complex stuff in the game plan if he needs it, he just hasn't needed it.

Posted using Tapatalk from my phone. May contain errors.
Thats what i thought. i also thoguht wade would move jj watt to a postion that gives him more opturtinys to get at the qb.
Old 10-04-2012   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 112052 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandapuffTexan View Post
Our defense has been great this year but I get the feeling wade hasn't shown all his cards. Am i the only one that feels this way?
wouldn't it be kinda dumb to show all your cards when your avg margin of victory is around 20 points?

This is almost the perpetual motion question...it answers itself if you let it.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-04-2012   #8
PandapuffTexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
I think we've held back what we can do both offensively and defensively. Waiting for the competitive stretch in the schedule to open things up more. No point in giving the real teams more film than we need to.
I hope your right Ray lewis scares me lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3j-m...eature=related
Old 10-04-2012   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thats what i thought. i also thoguht wade would move jj watt to a postion that gives him more opturtinys to get at the qb.
JJ Watt only needs one position to get to the QB, and that is the on-the-field position.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #10
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, I think the coaching staff has made a strategic decision to stay in their base packages for the most part, until a team starts to beat it.

And I believe that is true for offense, for the most part, as well as defense.

The only exception offensively was when they started the game against the jags with several screen plays in a row. I thought it worked well, but it seemed strange to me at the time.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #11
PandapuffTexan
Veteran

Is the coaches holding back arian foster somewhat, hes still really good but hast had the same kinda dominance he had last year. Is it due to his vegan switch or we havnt let go of the leash yet.
Old 10-04-2012   #12
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Mercilus should play more.
Old 10-04-2012   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is the coaches holding back arian foster somewhat, hes still really good but hast had the same kinda dominance he had last year. Is it due to his vegan switch or we havnt let go of the leash yet.
Nobody's telling individual players not to play well. Something isn't right with the O-Line, and it's not just the right side, either. Something is....not bad, but just not as effective as before. Wasn't there a rule change of some kind effecting the backside blocks?

Old 10-04-2012   #14
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 8248 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hope your right Ray lewis scares me lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3j-m...eature=related
i saw ogbanaya blow up ray lewis in the raven-browns game.. ray has cemented a hell of a legacy but hes not the same guy in that video laying out steve mcnair and eddie george..

you remember ogbanaya.. our 4th rb last year..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKyWaJaXlUE
Old 10-04-2012   #15
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 88533 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Now playing... Simply Red performing off their greatest hit album 'Holding back the D'

Old 10-04-2012   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 229246 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post

The only exception offensively was when they started the game against the jags with several screen plays in a row. I thought it worked well, but it seemed strange to me at the time.
I have been impressed the O has come in with very distinct game plans. The Denver game they were slinging it. But generally I agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Nobody's telling individual players not to play well. Something isn't right with the O-Line, and it's not just the right side, either. Something is....not bad, but just not as effective as before. Wasn't there a rule change of some kind effecting the backside blocks?
I mentioned this last year when we had a rushing slump. We run the stretch off two different angles. The OL sometimes comes off the line at about a 45 degree angle. Other times they come off at about 75 degrees. The larger angle seems to be much more successful to me. I would love to know what the coaches see/reason in making the choice.
Old 10-04-2012   #17
PandapuffTexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
i saw ogbanaya blow up ray lewis in the raven-browns game.. ray has cemented a hell of a legacy but hes not the same guy in that video laying out steve mcnair and eddie george..

you remember ogbanaya.. our 4th rb last year..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKyWaJaXlUE
I agree he is getting up there in age, just they have dominated us just like the colts and would like to see the texans finally beat baltimore
Old 10-04-2012   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Per Football Outsiders, the Texans currently ranked 4th on run to left end (this may involve the blocking of a TE, a WR, and a FB, or a pull by a lineman - could be the C, could be a G.) They ran 18% of the time this way.

They ranked 10th on run off right tackle (with the RG Guard often involved, as well the FB.) They ran 12% of the time here.

They ranked 17th up the middle, running 48% through these gaps.

They ranked 20th to right end, 12% of the time.

And finally, they ranked 29th off left tackle (with the LG often involved).
They ran here only 9% of the time for an average of 1.98 ypc.

From these numbers, we can see that so far the stretch plays work better to the left.

On the other hand, the inside zone plays are more successful to the right.

Why, I'm not totally sure.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Yes, I think the coaching staff has made a strategic decision to stay in their base packages for the most part, until a team starts to beat it.

I don't necessarily think that Wade has been holding back.
If I remember correctly, I think we blitzed the young QBs more.
And also, when we accumulated a big lead (which happened every game so far), we scaled back.

On offense, I remember reading a piece about Kubiak scripting plays while he was with the Broncos (we're doing the same thing here - about 15 plays.)
Basically, we work on a number of plays (or rather a number of sets of play) every week; game-planning differently against different opponents.
If the script works well, we stay with it; if it doesn't, we adjust.
Kubiak also said that once in a while, he would throw the script out of the window when it seems that the defense was well prepared for it.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012   #20
HJam72
Hall of Fame

LG getting old?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read