Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-02-2012   #21
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 323040 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Dominant Texans Chase Statistical History (Per SI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Heres one thing I love about Texans fans:

No write ups about the Texans? Complain about not getting any love despite our success

Write ups about the Texans? Complain that its meaningless and way too early to say anything

Lol
After all the weird and negative things that have happened over the years, it's a protective mechanism.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012   #22
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 70160 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
We've only played 4 games! None of this matters! You can't use current results to predict future events. This fuzzy math is irrelevant. JJ Watt's sack total is irrelevant. Ben Tate's health is irrelevant. It's so early in the season, all these games are irrelevant. Every thread on this message board evaluating the team is pointless. What do you guys think you are, psychics? There could be a catastrophic wave of injuries any moment. Stop being so optimistic. Let's all log off and reserve our judgment on this team's talent until January.
Good grief! Nobody knows what the next game brings. Why can't people just enjoy the moment? Yes, we all realize there's a lot of football left. And as we've seen recently, going 16-0 or even 15-1 doesn't mean a whole lot if you lose just one after that.

Right now, the Texans look to be the best there is after 4 games. Fact! Doesn't mean anything more than that. For 10 years all you read around here is that the Texans don't get the respect, don't get the national attention. Well, now they're finally getting it and people want to whip out the "it's only 4 games" card? Come on!

Enjoy the damn moment for a change. The Texans will likely lose one of their 16 games and the board will explode and get back to it's normal fire everybody self. But at the quarter pole, the Houston Texans are the best thing going. That doesn't put a trophy in the case or have us lining the parade route, but it's better than what we've ever had around these parts. Ever.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012   #23
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 136288 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Aw for christs sakes we've only played four frikkin' games.
I said the same thing then I caught this part:

Quote:
The first is the Relativity Index, which we discussed above. Denver and New England are No. 1 in offensive relativity. But if we look at both sides of the ball, Houston is the most dominant team in football, even when we take into account the quality of the opposition.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012   #24
SrslySirius
Veteran

Rep Power: 1371 SrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Good grief! Nobody knows what the next game brings. Why can't people just enjoy the moment? Yes, we all realize there's a lot of football left. And as we've seen recently, going 16-0 or even 15-1 doesn't mean a whole lot if you lose just one after that.

Right now, the Texans look to be the best there is after 4 games. Fact! Doesn't mean anything more than that. For 10 years all you read around here is that the Texans don't get the respect, don't get the national attention. Well, now they're finally getting it and people want to whip out the "it's only 4 games" card? Come on!

Enjoy the damn moment for a change. The Texans will likely lose one of their 16 games and the board will explode and get back to it's normal fire everybody self. But at the quarter pole, the Houston Texans are the best thing going. That doesn't put a trophy in the case or have us lining the parade route, but it's better than what we've ever had around these parts. Ever.
I was being sarcastic. I think it's absurd that the OP is being dismissed because "we're only 4 games in". It makes as much sense as dismissing all the other evidence that we have a very special team this year.
SrslySirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012   #25
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 136288 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

But it tastes so damn good!
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012   #26
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I will take a four game stretch of domination, anytime.
Old 10-03-2012   #27
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinaspaul View Post
Keep your eyes on the step ahead of ya, not the one 50 steps ahead...
I don't understand this logic. No team in the history of sports has ever lost a game because the fans were looking ahead. It's what we're suppose to do as fans. It's why we have a forum, to discuss such things...no matter how ridiculous they may or may not be.

"Damn coach I would've made that play but Papa L was BS'ing in his office yesterday in DC about our statistical probabilities. That's why I missed my assignment."

Enjoy the 4-0. Sure as hell beats where we've been!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012   #28
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 95025 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans will remain one of the dominant teams through the season, but the only quality opponent we played was Denver, and they hardly have their chemistry established. I'll believe these formulas after Green Bay and Baltimore.

I have enjoyed the beatdowns we're giving, though.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012   #29
SrslySirius
Veteran

Rep Power: 1371 SrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I think the Texans will remain one of the dominant teams through the season, but the only quality opponent we played was Denver, and they hardly have their chemistry established. I'll believe these formulas after Green Bay and Baltimore.

One of the quality stats (one of their most reliable indicators, in fact) controls for strength of opponents.

Example: if team A averages 25 PPG, and we hold them to 10, we're +15. If they allow 20 PPG on average, and we score 24 on them, we're +4. It's actually pretty hard to gain many points in this category against bad teams, but we're still leading the league.
SrslySirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012   #30
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 32635 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
next three teams
Jets,Packers and Ravens.

then a bye week

I will wait to see judgement
This.

Go 7-0 into the bye you will see even more believers come around. This team could very well be something special.
Old 10-03-2012   #31
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217952 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Heres one thing I love about Texans fans:

No write ups about the Texans? Complain about not getting any love despite our success

Write ups about the Texans? Complain that its meaningless and way too early to say anything

Lol
I dont much care about the media .... they lost me long ago both in sports and other "news." They are more concerned with selling hype , controversy or sensationalizing than reporting the news .... since those are what pay the bills while simply telling it how it is is plain and boring.

Damn I must be getting old .....

Just bring me a .... we can forget about the media hype.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012   #32
corytx8
Veteran

Rep Power: 11233 corytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respectedcorytx8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

Yet, I I had to use this pic as my facebook profile pic!
corytx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012   #33
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yes, it is much better to give than receive!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012   #34
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 299017 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The very fact that we are beating the teams we are supposed to be beating is in itself a vast improvement considering the Texans history.

I know I'm acting like a negative nillie here, but I'm as exicited as everyone else about the Texans. I've just watched to many seasons of football in my life and know better than to get to exicited this early in the season. One thing for sure, this is the best frikkin' team the Texans have ever fielded.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012   #35
BlueSteel
Veteran

Rep Power: 151 BlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

Hey I made that!!! Where did you get that from?
Old 10-03-2012   #36
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391709 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't think the bold is true. Miami is turning out to be a better team than expected. They have lost two games in overtime, one to a 4-0 team. Pouncey their center said:

Quote:
We donít look at ourselves as a 1-3 football team; we look at ourselves as a 3-1 football team, which we should be today.
They certainly could be. Guess which one loss he finds legitimate.
Old 10-03-2012   #37
salinaspaul
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 salinaspaul was voted MVPsalinaspaul was voted MVPsalinaspaul was voted MVPsalinaspaul was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
I don't understand this logic. No team in the history of sports has ever lost a game because the fans were looking ahead. It's what we're suppose to do as fans. It's why we have a forum, to discuss such things...no matter how ridiculous they may or may not be.
I guess I was making a suggestion that we follow the team's protocol: to look at the game ahead of us (Jets) and not to stray off to "more qualified teams" in the distance... to focus on maintaining 1-0 for the week, every week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Enjoy the 4-0. Sure as hell beats where we've been!
In all my cautiousness, there is simply no way of getting around this. You cannot help but enjoy. It's like the weather we've had in H-town recently.

#DamnItFeelsGoodToBeATexan
Old 10-03-2012   #38
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 12424 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
We've only played 4 games! None of this matters! You can't use current results to predict future events. This fuzzy math is irrelevant. JJ Watt's sack total is irrelevant. Ben Tate's health is irrelevant. It's so early in the season, all these games are irrelevant. Every thread on this message board evaluating the team is pointless. What do you guys think you are, psychics? There could be a catastrophic wave of injuries any moment. Stop being so optimistic. Let's all log off and reserve our judgment on this team's talent until January.
So you're saying this weeks game is a coin flip?

edit: Sarcasm impaired.

Last edited by noxiousdog; 10-03-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: nm!
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012   #39
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 323040 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinaspaul View Post
I guess I was making a suggestion that we follow the team's protocol: to look at the game ahead of us (Jets) and not to stray off to "more qualified teams" in the distance... to focus on maintaining 1-0 for the week, every week.
I was actually surprised to see PapaL get onto you about that "1 game at a time" thing. It's actually a pet peeve of mine and I didn't know anyone else shared it.

But a lot of times, fans hear the sayings that the players need to live by or they were high school/college players and they had those sayings drilled into them and it gets them into a players-mindset. The coaches say those things over and over: "One game at a time. Don't get too high or too low. Yadda yadda yadda."

That's great for the players.

But for us? We're fans. The only effect we have on the game is when we're in the stadium cheering (or being quiet). Our thoughts and actions aren't going to cost the team a game. We can look ahead. It's OK.

We need to start a support group.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012   #40
salinaspaul
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 salinaspaul was voted MVPsalinaspaul was voted MVPsalinaspaul was voted MVPsalinaspaul was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
But for us? We're fans. The only effect we have on the game is when we're in the stadium cheering (or being quiet). Our thoughts and actions aren't going to cost the team a game. We can look ahead. It's OK.
I see what you're saying. Agreed.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read