Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-29-2012   #21
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Von Miller fined $15,750 for roughing Matt Schaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I wonder if all this sticking up for Miller has to do with him having gone to A&M
That would never happen on this MB. LOL
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #22
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
In my opinion, that's old school football. I love seeing a defender wrap up a player & drive his dick in the dirt. That's how you intimidate a player without having to take a cheap shot. The fact that it was a QB (our QB) should have nothing to do with it. The league has pampered the QB's for so long that they've become soft. However, I do agree with throwing a flag on the Mays hit. That was an obvious attempt to injure the player.

The players today like to throw their bodies at the offensive player & more often than they should, allow the opponent to keep their balance & take off for a long run. Imo, the only sure way to tackle is to run through the player & wrap your arms around him. Then you can intimidate him by driving him into the turf hard.

Maybe we all need to go ahead and just admit that we're not watching the "Why back in my day when MEN played football...." game of our youth. The NFL, todays NFL runs on the passing game and quality quarterbacking. I get that all of us really want to see broken bones, blood dripping off of the players, and leather helmets (wait, check that. I don't want to see that) but that's not the reality of the game in 2012.

I agree with you regarding poor tackling. It seems to be a dying art form. The soft QB thing I can't get with because it's not the same game that I grew up watching and regardless of whether we like it or not our team will suck intensely if we lose our QB. I don't want that so Von Miller deserves his fine and needs to STFU.
Old 09-29-2012   #23
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a Jack Del Rio defense. Of course it was intentional to hurt the QB. It's naive to believe otherwise.

Von Miller is perfect for JDR, considering the fines in his career so far.
Old 09-29-2012   #24
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
It's a Jack Del Rio defense. Of course it was intentional to hurt the QB. It's naive to believe otherwise.

Von Miller is perfect for JDR, considering the fines in his career so far.

When are they gonna start investigating, and fining Jack Del Rio? The guy is a scumbag and teaches his players to hit to injure. Doesn't take a football pro to see that!! JMO
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #25
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 21101 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
But it wasn't intentional IMO. Looked like Miller was trying to make a clean tackle. Just so happens Schaub just threw the ball, so was out of balance, so looked like he picked him up and drove him to the ground. I don't know how Miller could have played it any differently.
Miller could have played it differently by ... NOT picking him up and driving him to the ground!

Seriously, he could have easily just bear hugged Schaub and left him standing. No need to make the dirty play he made. Oops, there is a reason - Jack Del Rio is his coach.
Old 10-01-2012   #26
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

So, how do Texans fans feel about the hit Quin put on Locker???

I think we all better suck it up if the league decides to weigh in on it too. It sure looked like a good clean hit but Quin did land on top of Locker, Locker did end up on the bench from it....just saying....
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #27
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post

I think we all better suck it up if the league decides to weigh in on it too. It sure looked like a good clean hit but Quin did land on top of Locker, Locker did end up on the bench from it....just saying....
I thought the same thing. But Quin did put his helmet WAY over to the side, to avoid using the helmet (into Locker's helmet and/or chest) 100%. To me, that counts for something.

And...the injury occurred to the opposite shoulder due to a freakishly timed side-swipe by JJ Watt. I can't tell if the shoulder popped out due to JJ Watt or the landing on the ground, though.

All in all, it didn't seem like he was trying to hurt him. IDK, then again that could be the homer in me. I had said last week, in regards to how Broncos fans were poo-poo'ing the hits on Schaub, that I hoped us Texans fans weren't that blind about the hits OUR guys put on other players.
Old 10-01-2012   #28
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This occurred to me also, I was at the game, so didn't have the benefit of watching it on TV, just stadium replays viewed thru beer goggles.

But I said at the time that it looked very similar to the Von Miller hit from last week. I don't know how much of a difference it makes that Locker still had the ball. Given that there was an injury, I would not be surprised to see a fine.

And to weigh in on the Von Miller hit as an Aggie and Von fan, it was ugly and he deserved the fine.
Old 10-01-2012   #29
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224612 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
But I said at the time that it looked very similar to the Von Miller hit from last week. I don't know how much of a difference it makes that Locker still had the ball. Given that there was an injury, I would not be surprised to see a fine.
I would be shocked if there were any fine on Quinn. The only similarity between the two plays is a QB got hit. Quinn never left his feet and never made any attempt to drive Locker into the ground. He drove straight through Locker with a textbook tackle. Hitting Schaub hard is not what got Miller in trouble. It was picking Schaub up and then launching his own body up leaving his own feet so he could angle to drive Schaub into the ground with his full body weight.
Old 10-01-2012   #30
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I would be shocked if there were any fine on Quinn. The only similarity between the two plays is a QB got hit. Quinn never left his feet and never made any attempt to drive Locker into the ground. He drove straight through Locker with a textbook tackle. Hitting Schaub hard is not what got Miller in trouble. It was picking Schaub up and then launching his own body up so he could drive Schaub into the ground with his full body weight.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think he deserves one. Just in this fine happy league, I could see him getting one.

And remember, I only saw the replay at the stadium, so I only have a quick impression to go by. It would be interesting to have Dutch make side by side gifs of the two plays.
Old 10-01-2012   #31
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173360 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quin just hit him, he didn't attempt to lift Locker and pile drive him into the ground.

I can't figure out how Locker hurt his left shoulder on the play?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #32
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224612 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Quin just hit him, he didn't attempt to lift Locker and pile drive him into the ground.

I can't figure out how Locker hurt his left shoulder on the play?
He injured it in week 1 so I guess when he landed on it he re-aggravated or exacerbated it.
Old 10-01-2012   #33
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173360 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
He injured it in week 1 so I guess when he landed on it he re-aggravated or exacerbated it.
Ahh, okay. Just didn't look to me like he came down on it.
Old 10-01-2012   #34
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The NFL could use that Quin hit as an example of how to do it right.

He put his helmet on the shoulder pad, wrapped him up, and tackled him clean. There was no launch, no helmet-to-helmet, and no pile driving. I knew someone would bring it up for comparison, but I honestly think the NFL could use that one as a clean example of doing it right.

Last edited by Double Barrel; 10-01-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #35
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 52595 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i just saw it again and the quin hit was textbook. eyes up, didnt hit or lead with the helmet, wrapped up at the midsection, and didnt leave his feet to make the tackle. sure it was a hard hit, but it was clean.
Old 10-01-2012   #36
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142677 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
The NFL could use that Quin hit as an example of how to do it right.

He put his on on the shoulder pad, wrapped him up, and tackled him clean. There was no launch, no helmet-to-helmet, and no pile driving. I knew someone would bring it up for comparison, but I honestly think the NFL could use that one as a clean example of doing it right.
^^^ This.

Quin didn't spear him, didn't hit helmet to helmet, and he didn't lift him up and drive him into the ground. OTOH, Von Miller picked Schaub up and drove him into the ground and Mays hit helmet to helmet.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #37
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 74059 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I see that as an illegal hit too. I didn't see that as an illegal hit a few years back before they changed the rules...but you just can't pick up a qb and drive him into the turf in today's game.
Agreed. I consider this tackle to be close to text book. Unfortunately for Von, he did it to a QB
Old 10-01-2012   #38
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Old 10-01-2012   #39
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks legit to me, but does anyone else think Antonio Smith looks unnaturally tall in that photo?

And hey, look at KJ checking the QB's eyes to see where he's throwing!
Old 10-01-2012   #40
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Did Quin get credit for that forced fumble?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read