Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-01-2012   #21
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 273484 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Observations from the frenemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
We saw 2 pass attempts from Locker.
Hassleback threw 2 pick 6s.

I dont know if you can really make a comparison here...

I see where he's going thoug admittedly it was a small sample to look at. The Titans seemed to get a spark when Hasselbeck came in. They looked really unsteady in the short time that Locker was on the field. It reminded me of how the Texans used to settle down and play better when Tony Banks came in for Carr. Not that I'm comparing the relative quality of Carr and Locker or saying Locker has Carr's upside (= None). It's just that Banks was a veteran and the team always looked more focused when he went in and the Titans did the same thing yesterday when Hasselbeck came in.
Old 10-01-2012   #22
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I see where he's going thoug admittedly it was a small sample to look at. The Titans seemed to get a spark when Hasselbeck came in. They looked really unsteady in the short time that Locker was on the field. It reminded me of how the Texans used to settle down and play better when Tony Banks came in for Carr. Not that I'm comparing the relative quality of Carr and Locker or saying Locker has Carr's upside (= None). It's just that Banks was a veteran and the team always looked more focused when he went in and the Titans did the same thing yesterday when Hasselbeck came in.
Locker was in for 1 series inside Reliant. A lot of teams look shaky on their first series in a loud away stadium

I think backup QBs always get that initial boost because:
1) Defenses have prepared all week for the starter and have to make adjustments on the fly to handle the backup style (This is especially noticeable when the starter is a guy who runs, like Locker, vs a guy like Hassleback)

2) Teams pick it up a little to try and accommodate the switch

I thought hassleback looked better than locker in the Patriots game as well. At first. Then things settled down and I could see why they chose Locker.

I think the issue here is that Tennessee knew it wasn't competing for a superbowl and went with Locker because he has a lot more upside if he gets the experience. I think the difference between the two guys is so minimal that it was worth the long term development to have Locker out there

If we played that game 100 times, with Locker at QB for 50 and Hassleback at QB for 50, with our team knowing in advance who was going to be the quarterback, I don't think Hassleback wins very many more than Locker (if any)
Old 10-01-2012   #23
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Hasselbeck looked better than Locker. How did Locker win the starting job?
Locker has some upside. He can play in this league, just needs to clean up some things & get the reps. Better O-line is in order, too.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #24
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Yeah, Toronto is a good member here. Always has been, always will be.

Which I admire because I don't think I could go over and spend the same amount of time at a divisional rival's message board.
I bet you could set some speed records for getting banned though......
Old 10-01-2012   #25
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 248675 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
We saw 2 pass attempts from Locker.
Hassleback threw 2 pick 6s.

I dont know if you can really make a comparison here...
that first INT would have been incomplete if the TE hadn't played volleyball with it.
Now KJ's, OTOH, was good ole fashioned thievery
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #26
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
LOL. Probably right.

0.00045 seconds into my first post there.

ZAP! I'm done. LOL.

EDIT: Note to self: When I am extremely bored someday, go to the Titans board and attempt to be banned after my first post there.
Old 10-01-2012   #27
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
If Carr Bombed can post on the Jaguars board for the last couple years and not be banned, anybody can do it.
Old 10-01-2012   #28
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 290661 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
LOL. Probably right.

0.00045 seconds into my first post there.

ZAP! I'm done. LOL.

EDIT: Note to self: When I am extremely bored someday, go to the Titans board and attempt to be banned after my first post there.
Toronto is a moderator at titanstailgate.com, not gotitans.com. Make sure you register at the right BBS if that's your intent. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #29
gwallaia

Rep Power: 79490 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Agree here with Hervoyel. When Hasselbeck came in, the Titans offense seem to start moving whereas it was stagnant with Locker in the game.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #30
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Locker has some upside. He can play in this league, just needs to clean up some things & get the reps. Better O-line is in order, too.
Things Locker needs to do to stay live for $100, Alex -

What is help finding the hot receiver on a S blitz.

Quote:
Agree here with Hervoyel. When Hasselbeck came in, the Titans offense seem to start moving whereas it was stagnant with Locker in the game.
I like Locker except for those little David Carr-like issues above.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #31
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86144 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Toronto is a long time fan of the Oilers/Titans. He is one of those that was an Oilers fan but didnt' have real ties to the city of Houston. So when the team moved he went with them.

Of course I am sure he regrets that often. You can change the city, the name and alter the colors however the heartbreaking results remain the same.

He should have stuck with Houston and not Bud Adams.
I wanted to rep this.

I grew up in Houston 1975-84. (2-12) I was a wee little one when the Astros and Oilers broke our hearts in 1980. (and 1981 on the Astros)

I moved back to Toronto (my birthplace) when my folks split up, but obviously was married to the Astros, Rockets and of course Oilers. Like all of you, had my heart broken by the Astros in '86, the Run N' Shoot and their dumbass coaches.

I was in the stadium for 35-3. I had the joy of the Rockets in 93-94 and by that time had some love for the Jays too so piggybacked off their two titles in 92-93.

As time's gone by, the connection to Houston has slipped. I've only been back to the town twice since 1990, and once was for business.

That said, I still love the Astros, have warm memories of the teams and the passion I grew up on/with and love chatting with you folks, even though Canada has certainly moved me much further left than most of you politicially.

I guess I would have stuck with the Texans and Rockets if the connection to Houston had been stronger, but I adopted the Raptors and stuck with Bud Adams, even though I hate his guts as much as you guys.

This is the best Houston football team I have personally seen since 1993. Just hope Kubiak's a better coach than Jack Pardee.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #32
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9888 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Observations from the frenemy

Quote:
Toronto is a long time fan of the Oilers/Titans. He is one of those that was an Oilers fan but didnt' have real ties to the city of Houston. So when the team moved he went with them.

Of course I am sure he regrets that often. You can change the city, the name and alter the colors however the heartbreaking results remain the same.

He should have stuck with Houston and not Bud Adams.
Well deserved Rep!!
Old 10-02-2012   #33
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101824 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
If Carr Bombed can post on the Jaguars board for the last couple years and not be banned, anybody can do it.
I'm actually banned right now.. I tried to log on after the Texans/Jags game and discovered the mods had banned me for a month.. I still don't know why they banned me. Oh well I guess it was a preventive strike, after that beat down they probably didn't want any ribbing.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012   #34
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86144 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the only board I post on that doesn't involve one of my clubs.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012   #35
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post

This is the best Houston football team I have personally seen since 1993. Just hope Kubiak's a better coach than Jack Pardee.
and Wade doesn't try to punch Rick Dennison.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012   #36
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Question for Toronto

Hasselbeck looked better than Locker. How did Locker win the starting job?
Second question for Toronto ... who's frenemy?
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012   #37
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Second question for Toronto ... who's frenemy?
It's an enemy who can sometimes be perceived as being a friend.

Sort of that love/hate scenario where it's an enemy but yet a friendly one or some sort.

Combination of Friend and Enemy: Frenemy.

Personally, I never use the term, but it's all the rage with the kids these days.
Old 10-02-2012   #38
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I'm actually banned right now.. I tried to log on after the Texans/Jags game and discovered the mods had banned me for a month.. I still don't know why they banned me. Oh well I guess it was a preventive strike, after that beat down they probably didn't want any ribbing.
Yeah, they muted you "in advance" just to save themselves from the frustration.

Who knew that Titans and Jags fans could be so petty, so quickly? I mean, they enjoyed relative bliss in the AFCS for about 8+ years... and now they have the Texans standing over them and all of a sudden they don't want to talk??? LOL.
Old 10-02-2012   #39
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14250 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Did anyone see a Vince Young Titans jersey at the game? Curious if those people are still around.
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012   #40
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBull View Post
Did anyone see a Vince Young Titans jersey at the game? Curious if those people are still around.
Not a single one. We were commenting on it walking into the stadium. Very few Titans fans were there at all.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read