Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-30-2012   #161
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: JJ Watt: All-Pro DE

Quote:
Originally Posted by big lou View Post
rick better break that rule about not negotiating contracts during the year. They need to extend jj's contract by about 10 years or they won't be able to afford what he'll he'll be worth in a couple of years.

Jj is worth mario money at this point........
this ^^^^^^^^
Old 09-30-2012   #162
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80683 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather wait until the salary cap goes up in a few years, no reason to pay more than we have to.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #163
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Rick better break that rule about not negotiating contracts during the year. They need to extend JJ's contract by about 10 years or they won't be able to afford what he'll he'll be worth in a couple of years.

JJ is worth Mario money at this point........

He won't be a free agent until 2015 so there's no need to start negotiating during this season, but I do agree that they should wrap him up LONG before the end of his contract. It's obvious that his stellar play is no fluke. He's just a monster.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #164
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Why do we have to be like that? Mario didn't do anything but get drafted first overall. & last we heard, from Mario, the Texans didn't even make an offer to keep him here.

The thing we should be worrying about, is "what if" Mario was still here & we had Jj Watt & Mario. Remember Mario was averaging a sack a game in Wade's system. Imagine if he were here, doing the same thing.

Jj Watt 7.5 sacks after 4 games, Mario Williams 4 sacks after 4 games. Then Antonio would have a couple, Barwin would have a couple, Reed would have a couple.

If this continues, we'll end up losing Watt to some nagging injury.

Right now, we've got basically the same thing we had when Mario was here, Mario & nothing else. Now, it's Jj Watt & nothing else. Of course, this is also the best secondary Mario never had a chance to play with. Good pass rush = good secondary, Good secondary = good pass rush. It's a chicken & egg thing.

But it never was about Mario or Jj Watt, Jj Watt wasn't going anywhere. It was about JJ & Mario, or Jj & nothing else.
I can recall maybe three or four times, MAYBE, that Mario Williams had the type of impact on games like JJ Watt has had this year already.

He's swatting down passes. He's sacking the QB at key times. He's stuffing runners who come his way. He's making everyone around him look like a million dollars. And all of it is done by being a down lineman, not a guy coming off the edge.

I really have no interest in giving Mario Williams any credit, slack, whatever we call it. At the end of the day, he has half the heart that JJ Watt is. Some guys don't embrace the pressure to perform, to lead, to set an example each week. JJ Watt does, though. That much is evident.

And if JJ Watt goes out to injury, he's still better than Mario. He could quit today, say "I'm going to dedicate my life to the pursuit of making the best pizza on the planet" and I'd say he's above and beyond Mario Williams.

I can't bring myself to display fake civility toward Mario Williams. I don't hate the guy, just don't think he deserves to be revered or even complimented much at all with what talent he leaves on the table every game.
Old 09-30-2012   #165
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
I keep hearing him being compared to Howie Long.

I'm old enough to have watched Howie Long play in his prime. He was damn good. Really, really good.

But he never played the way JJ Watt is playing in 2012.
^^^^This. Every bit of this.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #166
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I can recall maybe three or four times, MAYBE, that Mario Williams had the type of impact on games like JJ Watt has had this year already.

He's swatting down passes. He's sacking the QB at key times. He's stuffing runners who come his way. He's making everyone around him look like a million dollars. And all of it is done by being a down lineman, not a guy coming off the edge.

I really have no interest in giving Mario Williams any credit, slack, whatever we call it. At the end of the day, he has half the heart that JJ Watt is. Some guys don't embrace the pressure to perform, to lead, to set an example each week. JJ Watt does, though. That much is evident.

And if JJ Watt goes out to injury, he's still better than Mario. He could quit today, say "I'm going to dedicate my life to the pursuit of making the best pizza on the planet" and I'd say he's above and beyond Mario Williams.

I can't bring myself to display fake civility toward Mario Williams. I don't hate the guy, just don't think he deserves to be revered or even complimented much at all with what talent he leaves on the table every game.
Yep. I don't dislike Mario or wish him unwell. If I saw him on the street I'd happily shake his hand and wish him good health.

But I can't bring myself to give him that much respect. He was the # 1 overall pick and has # 1 overall pick God-given talent, but he doesn't bring that talent to every down or even once every series of downs.

He wasn't offered a renewed contract by the team that drafted him and now I'm certain Buffalo is wondering why they paid him $100 million. That says it all right there.
Old 09-30-2012   #167
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania Ganguli
Um.. #Titans guard Leroy Harris on JJ Watt: "He's not anything special...I locked him down most of the game except those 2 plays." #Texans

you mad bro?
Old 09-30-2012   #168
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected
Default JJ Watt is now leading the league in sacks

Thats right. Leading over Clay Mathews, a pure pass rushing outside line backer in a 3-4.

Our 3-4 defensive end is leading the league in sacks. Just shows how good this guy actually is.

As happy as I am of Watts success at getting after the passer, it makes me scratch my head on the lack of sacks our OLB's are getting. I know they are getting pressure and hits on QB but I figured they would be racking them up similar if not better than last year.

I mean, next in sacks on our team is Brooks Reed with 1.5. I know sacks do not tell the whole story but with the amount of blitzes Wade does in this scheme one would think the sacks would be coming out of our "ears".

Anyone have input on the lack of sacks from our OLB position?
Old 09-30-2012   #169
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 21296 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: JJ Watt is now leading the league in sacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Thats right. Leading over Clay Mathews, a pure pass rushing outside line backer in a 3-4.

Our 3-4 defensive end is leading the league in sacks. Just shows how good this guy actually is.

As happy as I am of Watts success at getting after the passer, it makes me scratch my head on the lack of sacks our OLB's are getting. I know they are getting pressure and hits on QB but I figured they would be racking them up similar if not better than last year.

I mean, next in sacks on our team is Brooks Reed with 1.5. I know sacks do not tell the whole story but with the amount of blitzes Wade does in this scheme one would think the sacks would be coming out of our "ears".

Yes...
They're scared of JJ Watt.

He's so freakin' bad, Cushing has nightmares about JJ.
He causes the Grim Reaper to look over his shoulder!

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #170
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

JJ watt is everything we hoped Mario would be, and he's only in his second year. This guy is incredible, and I can't thank SF enough for picking Aldon Smith ahead of us!
Old 09-30-2012   #171
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It just goes to show how good this defense is. JJ Watt is so successful,
because the offense has to choose not to double him. If they double him,
who's gonna stop Reed, Barwin, or Smiff? This defense is just SICK. This is
such a change from the days they only asked Mario to provide pressure.

As long as JJ Watt is single-teamed, it's gonna be a long day for the offensive
line. If they double him, uh-oh.
Old 09-30-2012   #172
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Reed has been in coverage a bunch playing on the strong side.

Barwin, IMO, should probably be a strong side OLB too.

Not going to kill him, but I don't think he's looked all that great.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #173
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
It just goes to show how good this defense is. JJ Watt is so successful,
because the offense has to choose not to double him. If they double him,
who's gonna stop Reed, Barwin, or Smiff? This defense is just SICK. This is
such a change from the days they only asked Mario to provide pressure.

As long as JJ Watt is single-teamed, it's gonna be a long day for the offensive
line. If they double him, uh-oh.
I can buy that. With that logic one would lead you to believe that a downturn is sack numbers (not pressure) from Watt is to be expected in the near future as there is no way offenses can continue to afford to not double team Watt.

With the downturn in sacks from Watt, there should be an uptick in sacks from Reed, Barwin, and Mercilus...assuming Watt starts comanding double teams.

One way or the other, the defense and Wade are doing what they need to do. They are kicking the opposing offenses asses up and down the field thru four weeks so far...

Very excited to exact revenge on the Jets next week. I really hope we embarass them in front of a national audience.
Old 09-30-2012   #174
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The all-time sack leader (Bruce Smith) spent most of his career as a 3-4 DE. I'm not comparing Watt to Smith, but...

...maybe I am.
Quote:
Very excited to exact revenge on the Jets next week.
Revenge for what?
Old 09-30-2012   #175
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Revenge for what?
Those a-holes have a 5-0 record against the Texans all time.
Old 09-30-2012   #176
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Those a-holes have a 5-0 record against the Texans all time.
THe only 5-0 record that has any meaning will be the one the Texans are sporting after next Monday night.
Old 09-30-2012   #177
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
THe only 5-0 record that has any meaning will be the one the Texans are sporting after next Monday night.
Agreed. But I am also looking forward to taking that goose egg out of the other 5-0 record. It's time for Jets fans to know what it's like to lose to the Texans.
Old 10-01-2012   #178
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I don't understand why we have to poison a thread honoring the best D player in football with bitterness toward Mario. Take that crap to the NFL forums. This is a thread about JJ Watt. You can have one without the other, you know. Compartmentalize, people.
Old 10-01-2012   #179
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys are talking about Watt not being double-teamed? I don't know much about that so I'm sure you're right but it kinda sounds like you're saying that teams are scheming him as if he's the lowest common denominator. I've seen him plow through double teams AND the RB block. This wrecking ball is definitely NOT being ignored by teams. His motor is just flat-out demolishing entire offensive lines. He has a real nose for the ball. It's really that simple.

Our entire defensive line is superb... including Barwin despite his lack of "stats" or whatever it is that folks use as a guage. It all starts with Antonio Smith though. He's the governor of that entire front seven. We've always had a swarm sleeping back there... JJ Watt is the one who got the hive in a frenzy. That defense is clicking on so many levels right now.
Old 10-01-2012   #180
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

I just realized that Watt maybe isn't getting the exposure he deserves? He barely made it on the AP game summary. They only had one line for him in that long article and it was...

Quote:
Hasselbeck fumbled when he was hit by Antonio Smith in the fourth quarter, and J.J. Watt recovered at the Tennessee 24.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...s-to-remain-40

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read