Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-30-2012   #121
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Connor Barwin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
What doesn't add up about that theory is that typically when a player is in a contract year, you see that player stepping up his game to improve his value---not coasting.
I don't think that's a 100% given.

Dunta got paid like CRAZY with a huge franchise tag year here, and he put the brakes on the whole year. He wasn't going to do anything risky since he knew he was headed elsewhere for yet (drum roll, please) another contract.

Look at Brisiel! Just by virtue of him being a guy on an o-line that blocked for the Texans QB, RB, and WRs and TEs, he ends up getting a really nice paycheck from the Raiders. Barwin, likewise, is going to net a nice payday from some other team next year after we end up being in the Super Bowl and THEN...yeah, Barwin might wake up and smell the ink on the hundred dollar bills.

He knows he doesn't have a contract, he knows the Texans are NOT going to pay him a lot to retain him, so why wouldn't he be a little less than 100% out there, mentally speaking? This defense doesn't need him. It didn't need Mario. It's a multiple-headed beast and the main head is JJ Watt. Then you got Reed, Cushing, Smith, JJo, Manning, this franchise is not going to give Barwin what Barwin "wants" and he knows that. It's patently obvious, IMO.

Factor in his weight gain, and he's sort of behind the 8-ball now. I hate it for him, because he CAN be a better LB than he is right now. Some weak defense out there in the NFL is going to want Barwin, I guarantee it. I just think he knows he's done here. It is what it is.
Old 09-30-2012   #122
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Having said that, JJ Watt is getting all of the LB's sacks right now. You can't get LB sacks if your 3-4 DE is getting to the QB faster than the speed of light.
Watt isn't sacking the qb everytime they drop back.

He'll, even when he does sack the qb at least show up a second late. He hasn't been doing that much.

I want to see what Braman can do rushing from the weakside some. The little I saw from him today he looks like the most explosive edge rusher we have.

If we had a speedy edge rusher to pair with watt this pass rush would be redunkulous.

I'm going to keep my eyes open for edge rushers in this upcoming draft. Reed is actually playing the strongside well. But that weakside explosiveness is lacking a bit.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #123
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I don't think that's a 100% given.
It's not out of the question that his muddled future is somehow preying on him and causing him to be tentative.

But it's counterintuitive to consciously coast when a future payday is at stake.

If Kubiak winds up giving him fewer snaps (or worse --- benches him) then he's really screwed.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #124
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
It's not out of the question that his muddled future is somehow preying on him and causing him to be tentative.

But it's counterintuitive to consciously coast when a future payday is at stake.

If Kubiak winds up giving him fewer snaps (or worse --- benches him) then he's really screwed.
See, and I think that this team's coaches WON'T ever dare give him fewer snaps. Why? To make him go out there and get over it. Get over his attitude, get with the program, be a team player. This team didn't bench or remove snaps from Dunta Robinson, either.

Plus, I don't want a guy like Barwin--a genuinely good guy, IMO--being able to lose a chance at a good contract because he gets snaps taken away. I also don't snaps taken away so that he can't leave here and claim he was cheated out of the snaps needed to prove himself in a contract year.

You have to admit, based on all things we're discussing here, Connor Barwin has got a lot of things going on and it's definitely a pressure-cooker situation for the guy. He's probably down on himself, no doubt. He's a great football player. He's not going to be happy when he sees his stats through four games. He shouldn't. He won't.

But then again, this defense has allowed even Kareem Jackson to have shining moments...Connor is just out of sync for whatever reasons, and I think he's a goner here. Unless he just decides to take whatever the Texans might offer him after this season is over. I doubt he gets what he thought he was worth, though, if that happens.
Old 09-30-2012   #125
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 128861 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

can anyone confirm barwin putting on weight this offseason? if true, i lay 90% of his ineffectiveness there, with the other 10% to teams taking him a whole lot more seriously. weight gain is almost never a good idea. beefing up a 20 year old offensive lineman? yeah sure. adding bulk to a 26 year old OLB coming off his best season as a pass rusher? EHHH WRONG! it's almost always the same, the extra weight is a burden they have to adjust to and makes players sluggish.

if anything barwin and reed should be trimming as much as they can get away with without hurting their strength. this is a beat your man 1v1 defense - not one where you stand up the blocker. if barwin's putting on weight to stand up his man in run support, he went backwards.
Old 09-30-2012   #126
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93882 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Nobody in their right mind tanks a season in their contract year, c'mon GP.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #127
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9350 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Watching the replays and Barwin is showing no spin moves just bull rush and trying speed rush around edge and just gets pushed out of the play. He used to be quicker and had a spin move. Look at play at 8:40 of 2nd quarter. He just looks slow and a little clumsy. I think it is the added weight or he has some type of injury. I agree they need to rotate him and get some playing time to others, especially when game is under control.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #128
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Nobody in their right mind tanks a season in their contract year, c'mon GP.
You're putting words in my mouth, plain and simple.

I never once say he is tanking it. He has a lot going on, and that can affect his focus and his desire and his performance too.

We've all been there. Everyone around us is hitting home runs and we can't even hit a single to save our lives. You sort of begin wondering about yourself.

Not saying he is tanking. I don't think that accusation is fair to me. I've gone out of my way to say that my criticism is not geared to make him look like a loser. He's not. But his performance looks like he is lost in many ways.

Dunta, IMO, yeah...that guy was tanking it. Not Barwin though. I think he's just genuinely battling some issues about how he fits into this monster defense we have right now.
Old 09-30-2012   #129
GP 
Go Texans!

Sometimes we need to stop being so blindly loyal to ANY of our players that we cannot stop and ask questions about their impact on the game.

To scrutinize is not a bad thing. Hell, I bet he is being VERY self-scrutinizing right now. I hope it clicks for him, because he needs to maximize this season.
Old 09-30-2012   #130
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Dunta, IMO, yeah...that guy was tanking it.
Even with the lack of respect I have for Dunta, I can't agree that he was tanking it his final season here.

If you look at his stats from year to year, he actually had a better final season in Houston in terms of tackles than he has yet to have in Atlanta and, aside from his rookie season, he was never really an interception guy.

He had that horrific injury in 2007 and made a remarkable comeback but still hasn't been the same player he was his first 3.5 seasons.

The fact that Atlanta gave him so much money is as confounding now as it was then. Just one of those strange quirks of free agency where a player gets a huge payday for no apparent reason.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #131
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
Watching the replays and Barwin is showing no spin moves just bull rush and trying speed rush around edge and just gets pushed out of the play. He used to be quicker and had a spin move. Look at play at 8:40 of 2nd quarter. He just looks slow and a little clumsy. I think it is the added weight or he has some type of injury. I agree they need to rotate him and get some playing time to others, especially when game is under control.
I just watched the game again, and I agree with this assessment. I never really paid much attention to Barwin, so I can't say what he used to do; but he is using a ton of speed rushes and little else. Also, I noticed he wasn't taking on blocks in the run game either. Barwin appears to want to dodge the blocker and in doing so, dodges his way out of the play.

Barwin usually isn't being double teamed, or even chipped by the RB or TE; he's being blocked one on one by the tackles.

Does anybody know if he changed sides? I noticed he seemed to go against left tackles alot, which are usually better than right tackles. (just an idea)
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #132
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Barwin plays weakside and has been since Mario went out last year. So yeah, he sees the LT a lot.
Old 09-30-2012   #133
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

JJ Watt gets to QB before OLBs get there.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #134
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm wondering if they are calling less blitzes and stunts. It seems last year Wade would devise all sorts of thing to let linebackers get a free run at the qb but this year you don't really need to do that when you can rush 4 and have Watt and Smith disrupt things the way they are doing.
Old 10-01-2012   #135
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Dude's just not that good & he never was imo....he always looked clumsy to me rushing the passer. Honestly this is good news for us in a way. if he doesn't have as productive a season as he did last year, perhaps most teams won't offer him much more than we offered him & he'll be apt to stay................

of course you've always got teams like the raiders who'll offer stupid money based on little to nothing.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #136
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Dude's just not that good & he never was imo....
I think you're overplaying that a little, but I also think the sack total from last year got people to over-hyping Barwin. I think Barwin is a nice player, but I have never considered him in the class of guys that get 11.5 sacks every year from the OLB position.
Old 10-01-2012   #137
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Dude's just not that good & he never was imo....he always looked clumsy to me rushing the passer. Honestly this is good news for us in a way. if he doesn't have as productive a season as he did last year, perhaps most teams won't offer him much more than we offered him & he'll be apt to stay................

of course you've always got teams like the raiders who'll offer stupid money based on little to nothing.
Why would we want to keep him if he's not good?
Old 10-08-2012   #138
Rey
Hall of Fame

Connor barwin is not getting the job done. Period.

He needs to play better.
Old 10-08-2012   #139
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35954 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Connor barwin is not getting the job done. Period.

He needs to play better.
Agreed...the guy has no moves. Just a bull rush..which is not working. I would like to see mercilus now and see what he can offer over connor.
stingray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #140
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Agreed...the guy has no moves. Just a bull rush..which is not working. I would like to see mercilus now and see what he can offer over connor.
Jmo, but merciless would be even worse.

I've said this a million times, but I'm not a fan of the rush olb's on this team. I think barwin would play better on the strongside, but I think reed is playing that position really well.

We need a good wolb, and I personally don't think merciless is that guy. I'd honestly like to see what Braman can do.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read