Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-30-2012   #141
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: JJ Watt: All-Pro DE

Howie Long has the honor of being compared to JJ Watt.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #142
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Right on.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #143
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

For the life of me, I don't know why companies like Nike or Gatorade, etc., do not have this guy as their PREMIERE model for their stuff.

JJ's agent. Who is he? He should have JJ Watt raking in crazy cash right now. And I'm not talking H.E.B. Grocery Stores. I'm talking THE major apparel or equipment companies.

The guy is Captain America.
Old 09-30-2012   #144
97roc
Veteran

Rep Power: 139 97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected97roc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
For the life of me, I don't know why companies like Nike or Gatorade, etc., do not have this guy as their PREMIERE model for their stuff.

JJ's agent. Who is he? He should have JJ Watt raking in crazy cash right now. And I'm not talking H.E.B. Grocery Stores. I'm talking THE major apparel or equipment companies.

This ^^^^^^
Old 09-30-2012   #145
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Probably the most epic post of the day, maybe of the month.
Old 09-30-2012   #146
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14869 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's going to take a year of this at least.

He keeps this up then yeah I'll be expecting to see him in a lot more commercials.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #147
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I was thinking the Hulk.

You don't wanna make this dude mad.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #148
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm riding a pretty good buzz right now, but i'm struggling to remember a defensive player being so overwhelming through 4 games ... let alone be so dominant in his rookie and early sophomore seasons.

his rookie preseason watt got the nickname "unblockable", and has gone out of his mind since. dude is simply unbelievable - especially for a 3-4 defensive end. isnt that supposed to be a position that doesnt get stats?
Old 09-30-2012   #149
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
it's been 26 years since a defensive player won an MVP. if jj "unblockable" watt doesnt win it this year, it means he got hurt at some point, or got robbed at the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Lets not get waaayyy ahead of ourselves here. It was one game and wouldnt be enough for league MVP
after 4 games (and drunk again) ... i'm sticking to the statement!!!
Old 09-30-2012   #150
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i'm riding a pretty good buzz right now, but i'm struggling to remember a defensive player being so overwhelming through 4 games ... let alone be so dominant in his rookie and early sophomore seasons.

his rookie preseason watt got the nickname "unblockable", and has gone out of his mind since. dude is simply unbelievable - especially for a 3-4 defensive end. isnt that supposed to be a position that doesnt get stats?
It does now.

Old 09-30-2012   #151
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
dude is simply unbelievable - especially for a 3-4 defensive end. isnt that supposed to be a position that doesnt get stats?
Let's put it this way - Gary Walker made it to the pro-bowl as a 3-4 DE with 6.5 sacks for the season.
Old 09-30-2012   #152
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Let's put it this way - Gary Walker made it to the pro-bowl as a 3-4 DE with 6.5 sacks for the season.
Well, we had to send somebody.

Old 09-30-2012   #153
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
Well, we had to send somebody.
ouch! lol
Old 09-30-2012   #154
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I really believe that this is a perfect storm kind of situation. It's not just that Watt is great (he is) or that Wade's system is great (it is). It's that Watt is the perfect player for the system he's in. He was literally drafted by the best team possible for him.
It's one of the earmarks of a great organization. Don't just take the BPA. Take the BPA for your system. I always hate the round peg, square hole, we can make it fit routine.
Old 09-30-2012   #155
guichows6
Rookie

Quote:
Thank you! I thought the howie long comparisons werent all that. I didn't see long play, but Idk...watt is UNBELIAVABLE!! A TRUE BEAST
guichows6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #156
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
Sacks - Season to date (through Week 4)

J.J. Watt___- 7.5
M. Williams-- 1.5

J.J. added 2 more sacks today, per ESPN. Mario Williams did not register any sacks, but did have two tackles, including one tackle for loss.

If Mario Williams is given a 7.5 sack over/under for the entire season, which would you take? Personally, I am taking the under.
Why do we have to be like that? Mario didn't do anything but get drafted first overall. & last we heard, from Mario, the Texans didn't even make an offer to keep him here.

The thing we should be worrying about, is "what if" Mario was still here & we had Jj Watt & Mario. Remember Mario was averaging a sack a game in Wade's system. Imagine if he were here, doing the same thing.

Jj Watt 7.5 sacks after 4 games, Mario Williams 4 sacks after 4 games. Then Antonio would have a couple, Barwin would have a couple, Reed would have a couple.

If this continues, we'll end up losing Watt to some nagging injury.

Right now, we've got basically the same thing we had when Mario was here, Mario & nothing else. Now, it's Jj Watt & nothing else. Of course, this is also the best secondary Mario never had a chance to play with. Good pass rush = good secondary, Good secondary = good pass rush. It's a chicken & egg thing.

But it never was about Mario or Jj Watt, Jj Watt wasn't going anywhere. It was about JJ & Mario, or Jj & nothing else.
Old 09-30-2012   #157
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Nothing else? You do know Antonio got a sack and caused the fumble on the play Watt recovered the fumble on, right? That's just one example.

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #158
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Why do we have to be like that? Mario didn't do anything but get drafted first overall. & last we heard, from Mario, the Texans didn't even make an offer to keep him here.

The thing we should be worrying about, is "what if" Mario was still here & we had Jj Watt & Mario. Remember Mario was averaging a sack a game in Wade's system. Imagine if he were here, doing the same thing.

Jj Watt 7.5 sacks after 4 games, Mario Williams 4 sacks after 4 games. Then Antonio would have a couple, Barwin would have a couple, Reed would have a couple.

If this continues, we'll end up losing Watt to some nagging injury.

Right now, we've got basically the same thing we had when Mario was here, Mario & nothing else. Now, it's Jj Watt & nothing else. Of course, this is also the best secondary Mario never had a chance to play with. Good pass rush = good secondary, Good secondary = good pass rush. It's a chicken & egg thing.

But it never was about Mario or Jj Watt, Jj Watt wasn't going anywhere. It was about JJ & Mario, or Jj & nothing else.
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Mario. The stats just highlight what an amazing display that Watt is putting on for us and the rest of the league.

The Texans would have liked to have kept Mario if they could have negotiated a reasonable contract that was consistent with his effort and the contribution the Texans expected from him going forward. And I would have been very happy with that, too. But with the salary cap to think of, you just cannot overpay players based solely on their press clippings.

Mario played well here in Houston, but he was never all that consistent and he was never really as productive as his potential, his draft position and his compensation suggested that he probably should be. He was still a very good player. He just never quite achieved the dominant status that many of us thought that he would and that he should.

Buffalo obviously valued Mario's expected contribution differently than the Texans did and offered to pay him an extraordinary amount of money. He was not worth that much and pretty much everyone in Houston knew it. So, I and pretty much everyone else here in Houston wished Mario "bon voyage" without any misgivings, and he left. Good for him. It would have been nice if the Texans could have managed to keep him on the team, just not for anywhere near the money that Buffalo is paying him.

And as I expect you will agree, his current performance bears that out to some extent.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #159
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by G27RR View Post
Nothing else? You do know Antonio got a sack and caused the fumble on the play Watt recovered the fumble on, right? That's just one example.
it may be my perception, but antonio appears to still get most of the double teams (which wouldnt be very surprising considering he's been at the top for years now). teams are going to have to shift everything to watt's side at some point and when they do the ninja is going to go off. the sack he had was pretty dang impressive ... the tackle chipped in to help the guard get position on antonio, but he still made the play.
Old 09-30-2012   #160
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Rick better break that rule about not negotiating contracts during the year. They need to extend JJ's contract by about 10 years or they won't be able to afford what he'll he'll be worth in a couple of years.

JJ is worth Mario money at this point........

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read