Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-28-2012   #81
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Football Gameplan's 2012 Wk 4 Texans vs Titans Video Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike02 View Post
I will say this about Skip Bayless. Skip will use stats and facts to back up his argument. The problem with him is he picks and chooses the stats he likes and ignores the rest when they're used against him. The fact that someone reputable would say "stats lie" in a debate is almost as laughable as it gets to me. Em may be a nice guy and I'm not saying anything personally against him, but I just can't take his opinion seriously.

When GM's go to evaluate players for the draft they won't just throw their numbers and production out of the window. It won't be their only source for evaluation, but they won't just dismiss it either. I'd love to hear a GM come out before the draft and say "stats lie". If that's the case every prospect who has ever had talent needs to come out and say, "Screw my stats Rick Smith! Look at my 40 time homie! I run a 4.3 in the 40 and a 4.0 in the shuttle. Check out the potential! You're worried about the wrong things. Who cares if I've never rushed for 50 yards in a a game or 700 yards in a season!"

Another thing..... if Em has any aspirations of advancing and taking his craft to the next level then criticism will follow. Is it always fair? No, but it comes with the territory. If I put out a product and want people to support it and it doesn't meet a certain standard then I will be criticized for it. No one has called him any derogatory names or called his mother fat or anything.

Last edited by Texn4life; 09-28-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #82
C Madd
Veteran

Rep Power: 4156 C Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respected

Even though I may disagree with the running back statement, I appreciate the videos, Em. Keep doing your thing, man.
C Madd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #83
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 30145 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
EM, you're using "skill set" like some folks use "upside" or "potential"; neither means a damn thing unless and until they don't translate into MEASURABLE RESULTS.
I have used the "skill set" technique to identify the greatest Houston players of all time.

Greatest Rocket Ever: Ralph Sampson (this is easy!)
Greatest Astro Ever: Eric Anthony

and

Greatest Texan Ever: (tie) David Carr and Tony Hollings

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmDiggy View Post
Texans have the best backfield since Hershel Walker & Tony Dorsett. How's that?

Clearrrrrrrrrrrrly I stated numerous times that I don't use stats when looking at personnel..Its more of a skill-set type of thing and showing where the liabilities are. And as a former RB, I know that numbers don't tell the whole story.
Here are backfields that were better than Walker + Dorsett:

Don Perkins + Walt Garrison
Calvin Hill + Walt Garrison
Calvin Hill + Duane Thomas
Duane Thomas + whatever stiff came after Calvin Hill
Tony Dorsett before Hershel Walker
Hershel Walker when Tony Dorsett wasn't in the way
Emmitt Smith

And that is only from one team - the same team that Walker + Dorsett played for.

Quote:
So I guess playing and coaching holds no weight anymore.. Schefter/Schein is more knowledgable about football than me I guess.. Makes complete sense. Seeing my experience doesn't matter.. I'll go start Basketball Gameplan and be an expert in something I've never done before.
Actually Schefter/Schein are more knowledgeable about football than you.

I am looking forward to your basketball videos where I am sure we will all learn that Kobe Bryant vs Kevin Martin is a "wash".

Quote:
As far as the 'stats' argument.. Stats only tell a small portion of the story.. Stats would lead you to believe that Emmitt Smith is better than Jim Brown. Although its up to your own opinion, just using stats in that case would be misleading
Jim Brown - averaged over 1 TD and over 100 yard per game for his entire career.

Emmitt Smith - (being nice and throwing out his time with the Cardinals) about 0.8 TDs and 90 yards per game.

I think stats support my contention that Jim Brown is the greatest RB in the history of the game.

I think Emmitt Smith is an interesting one. Not vs Jim Brown. But vs Barry Sanders. As a skills guy you probably think Sanders was better. As a person likes winning and winning championships I'll take Emmitt Smith.
Old 09-28-2012   #84
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys are being mean! Why bring logic and facts to the table when you can just throw out a blanket statement to support your side?...... Not fair at all!

I'm starting to like Em's logic a little. Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf were 2 of the greatest greatest QBs to ever play in the league. Lets ignore their stats and focus on their talent. Both guys had rocket arms and put the ball on the money. It might have been on the money to the other team, but it doesn't matter because "stats lie" so that is irrelevant. I think Em should be an agent to be honest with you. If he could sell that then he could stand to make a crap load of money.
Old 09-29-2012   #85
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Did AJ play aganist the titans last year wk17 if not this will be the first time in a year AJ has played the titans and who will vcover him now since Cortland is gone ???
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #86
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

so are the texans wearing there blue jerseys this game ... or there white ones ???
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #87
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

EmDiggy is having another strong run, whether here or not

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #88
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
These attacks on Em are just wrong.
Correct. Discussing the merits of Emory's opinions is fair game. Calling him a troll is not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
No one has called him any derogatory names or called his mother fat or anything.
Yeah, they have. And it's uncalled for. Emory has been posting here for almost 3 years and his contribution is and has been welcome. Do I agree with everything he has said or written? No. But he's not a troll and he deserves the same consideration as any other poster on this board.
Old 09-29-2012   #89
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Correct. Discussing the merits of Emory's opinions is fair game. Calling him a troll is not.

Yeah, they have. And it's uncalled for. Emory has been posting here for almost 3 years and his contribution is and has been welcome. Do I agree with everything he has said or written? No. But he's not a troll and he deserves the same consideration as any other poster on this board.
Gotcha, yeah I can understand the troll thing and even though I didn't address him as that I can see how that could be derogatory. Actually I'm still not quite sure what a troll is. I keep thinking of little people hiding under a bridge every time I hear that.

I've tried my best to simply address his point of view in this thread which I think is wack. Now I'm under the assumption that is well within the rules of this forum.
Old 09-29-2012   #90
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Gotcha, yeah I can understand the troll thing and even though I didn't address him as that I can see how that could be derogatory. Actually I'm still not quite sure what a troll is. I keep thinking of little people hiding under a bridge every time I hear that.
An internet troll comes onto a board with the intent to create conflict. We've had our share of trolls here. Some members here with over 10k posts will occasionally troll (IMO). Emory is not trolling. I believe that he believes what he is saying.

Quote:
I've tried my best to simply address his point of view in this thread which I think is wack. Now I'm under the assumption that is well within the rules of this forum.
Totally, and that's a big part of why we're here. Who wants a big love fest? This board is best with a variety of well formed opinions. That's why I come here.
Old 09-29-2012   #91
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
An internet troll comes onto a board with the intent to create conflict. We've had our share of trolls here. Some members here with over 10k posts will occasionally troll (IMO). Emory is not trolling. I believe that he believes what he is saying.

Totally, and that's a big part of why we're here. Who wants a big love fest? This board is best with a variety of well formed opinions. That's why I come here.
Understood on both points, and yeah I do agree that he really does believe what he is saying. (well kind of) It's kind of hard to wrap my mind around someone thinking that talent is a push in the Running Back department in this game. He had a better argument in the Miami game than this one, but Ringer better than or even with Tate? And then I don't even know who their 3rd running back is. Old Em's perspective has me seriously scratching my head.

I've even tried to get on his level in a sense in trying to understand what he's saying. I have a close friend who's a scout in the league so I know that when they discuss players they will talk about all kinds of things physically, attitude wise, etc before going into their stats and production. But at the end of the day if those other attributes don't translate into production then they will pass on them. So I get what he's trying to say somewhat, but his argument falls short at the end. I was in sales for years, and I knew a lot of guys who could role play their butts off and had everything I wish I had. But when they got into the field and the bullets were flying couldn't get it done. While the situations are different they are similar in a lot of ways. Production is supposed to matter in the real world. That includes football, baseball, and any other sport.

Last edited by Texn4life; 09-29-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-29-2012   #92
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Then spammer would fit better than troll. True, he does and has contributed here for 3 years, but only when pimping his product.

And as I said earlier, props to him for what he's got going. But with it comes criticism. If you don't want a big love fest here, why should you expect it for him? I don't care if he continues to post his stuff here or not. I don't have to check it out and I won't. IMO, he's not a very good analyst.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
so are the texans wearing there blue jerseys this game ... or there white ones ???
http://www.houstontexans.com/gameday...binations.html

Blue.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #94
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Then spammer would fit better than troll. True, he does and has contributed here for 3 years, but only when pimping his product.

And as I said earlier, props to him for what he's got going. But with it comes criticism. If you don't want a big love fest here, why should you expect it for him? I don't care if he continues to post his stuff here or not. I don't have to check it out and I won't. IMO, he's not a very good analyst.
^^^ Exactly this.

When he first started posting his videos (or when I first saw them, at least), I was a little surprised that no one jumped on this guy for being a spammer. Because that's what he is. He's not bad about it. But he's coming here asking for views and clicks. And he goes to a bunch of other boards for different teams for the same thing. He doesn't take part in the forum in any other way.

By definition, that's a spammer.

He's working hard trying to build himself up as a kind of alternative to NFL Playbook or something. And that's cool. You've got to start somewhere. And, spammer or not, I gave him my support. Every week, I watched his Texans video. I never felt compelled to watch any of his videos on the other teams because I never felt like I learned anything useful from watching his videos about the Texans.

To make his way in that field, he needs to start delivering something. He's either got to be more informative or more entertaining and right now, he's not bringing it.

And then this whole talent/skill set thing came up and he started using the "Numbers Always Lie" slogan and for me, he lost all credibility. So he's lost my support. I haven't watched any of his videos since the Dolphins video and I won't watch any more of his videos for the foreseeable future.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #95
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

arian foster - averaging 98 yards per game
chris johnson - doesnt have 98 total yards

ben tate - 106 yards, 2 TD's
titans team - 117 yards, 0 TD's

titan's leading rusher - jake locker with 67 yards.

definitely a push.
Old 09-29-2012   #96
Lucky

Quote:
Then spammer would fit better than troll.
I think that is over the top. Yes, he only replies to posts in his threads. But, he doesn't just post links and leave. This is the only forum of any kind I am on. This takes up all of my time available for internet chat. Emory is on what, at least 32 forums? Maybe more? I think he probably posts here as much as anywhere.

BTW, I haven't given him a free pass on criticism. I let him know that his comparison of the Dolphins and Texans backfield was a crock. And admittedly, I haven't watched all of Emory's videos. Or most of them. I probably peeked at his draft videos more than anything. He has put together some pretty good clips on prospects I might have never seen.

So, IMO, I think Emory has brought some value to this board. I don't believe the terms troll or spammer fit. Is Lance Zierlein a spammer when he comes into the forum and posts his links? No, he is welcomed with open virtual arms. As he should be. And his opinions have not gone unchallenged.

Anyway, I applaud Emory's effort even if I don't agree with his analysis. I've learned some things from his contributions and maybe, just maybe, he has learned something from ours. That's the way it should be, right?
Old 09-29-2012   #97
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Spammer would fit a lot better than troll very good point
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read