Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-28-2012   #61
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texan weaknesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I agree with you that DT/NT is our biggest need, the middle of the D-line needs to be solidified by someone who can hold up to the double teams, stuff the run, and occasionally collapse the pocket on the inside. A better DT/NT will also lessen our need for a better ILB next to Cushing.

We disagree on the RG position. I think our future at RG is on the roster already. I like what Jones can do at RG this year but like you I like him better at C and think that Brooks is the future of the RG position. I think that RT is a bigger need on the O-line, we can't keep up a 2 man rotation forever, it hurts the roster when you've got 2 guys doing the job that 1 should be handling. I think that Newton/Harris is a patchwork for this year and that RT should be addressed in the 2nd round of the 2013 draft.
If Brooks is the future RG then who is the future LG ? Wade Smith is 31. How many more good years do you think he has left?
Old 09-28-2012   #62
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree with you that DT/NT is our biggest need, the middle of the D-line needs to be solidified by someone who can hold up to the double teams, stuff the run, and occasionally collapse the pocket on the inside. A better DT/NT will also lessen our need for a better ILB next to Cushing.

We disagree on the RG position. I think our future at RG is on the roster already. I like what Jones can do at RG this year but like you I like him better at C and think that Brooks is the future of the RG position. I think that RT is a bigger need on the O-line, we can't keep up a 2 man rotation forever, it hurts the roster when you've got 2 guys doing the job that 1 should be handling. I think that Newton/Harris is a patchwork for this year and that RT should be addressed in the 2nd round of the 2013 draft.
Wolf, as always enjoy exchange of ideas. I think Jones can be successful at RG but would rather see him in 2013 learning the center position and drafting a OG for one side or other. Is Brooks in Kubiak's dog house over weight and effort? I see him at RG in 2013.

I am still leaning towards trading Tate this off season for a first. Denver would be a prime landing spot. Jesse Williams NT, Matthews OT and in 2nd grab Alvin Bailey RG or LG and let him sit behind Smith one year. A late second round pick this year who projects to #2 OG in nation in 2014.

I think Forsett has shown enough to be a #2 back and Griffin showed Smith can still get one cut and go power backs very late or UDFA. If we could get a first for Tate, I'd be willing to spend a later round pick on a RB. Keep an eye on Cierre Wood Notre Dame 6'0 215 4.48
Old 09-28-2012   #63
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
If Brooks is the future RG then who is the future LG ? Wade Smith is 31. How many more good years do you think he has left?
Wolf is right on target. Wade Smith has two years left 2012 @ $2m + $750K (bonus) and 2014 $3m + $750K= cheap. Oline often play into mid 30s and he will be 32 in 2014. There was some talk of an injury last year but I could not nail it down. I prefer to see Ben Jones on right 2012 & 13 and Brooks improving his skills and getting in NFL shape to replace Smith. If Brooks becomes starter, Smith can be cut with only $1.5m against cap. Another strategic move set up by Smith and Olsen. Jones replaces Myers in 2014. We should draft a OG to prepare for 2014.
Old 09-29-2012   #64
The Third Man
All Pro

Rep Power: 10390 The Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post

I am still leaning towards trading Tate this off season for a first. Denver would be a prime landing spot.
I think the Texans would be overjoyed to get a first for Tate. I don't see it happening. He's just about to go into his second contract. When was the last time a non-elite running back garnered a first round pick? I don't think teams would want to give up a number one pick *and* pay a running back a big contract, which is what they would be committing to with Tate. I think the Texans would do well to get another second rounder and a lower pick. They may want to ride it out with Tate through next year while (if) the Super Bowl window is still open.
The Third Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #65
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

on D imma say NT and FS

on O imma say FB and Tackle
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #66
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
I do think Brooks is the future at RG and Jones is the future at C while filling in at OG so that he gets some experience. W. Smith probably won't be replaced until after the 2013 season and his replacement will most likely be drafted next year to sit for a year behind Smith and then take over the next year. We could also draft a much better RT next year and then move Newton to LG where his limited speed/athleticism for RT wouldn't hurt the team so much and his good enough athleticism for LG would be an assett. I think that's a possibility but I don't think we do it. I think W. Smiths replacement is still in college. I also think that we'll be looking at OT's who have better athleticism than OG's and convert them to the OG position.

As for Tate a 1st round pick from a bad NFC team would be outstanding but I don't think it will happen. I think TTM is correct no team is going to want to give up a 1st AND pay him a major contract. I think it's much more likely that we get a 2nd and a 3rd or 4th. St. Louis would be the perfect team to trade with, they've got extra picks available from the RGIII trade with Washington this year, they're in the NFC so we wouldn't have to play against Tate very often, and they're not a good team so those picks would be high in each respective round. Also Steven Jackson is getting older and slowing down a bit and they could solidify a position that would take alot of pressure off of Bradford.

Rick Wagner-OT could fall to us in the 3rd. He's a bit slow for NFL level OT but he'd be a stud at LG or RG.

BB, how much longer are you working on this mock? When are you posting?

Last edited by Wolf6151; 09-29-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #67
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think jones and brooks are your future starters at the guard spots. Meyers will likely be here for a while.

Depending on how the RT position shakes out I think we may look for an OT fairly high. Maybe not first round, but maybe 2nd or 3rd.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #68
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wolf is right on target. Wade Smith has two years left 2012 @ $2m + $750K (bonus) and 2014 $3m + $750K= cheap. Oline often play into mid 30s and he will be 32 in 2014. There was some talk of an injury last year but I could not nail it down. I prefer to see Ben Jones on right 2012 & 13 and Brooks improving his skills and getting in NFL shape to replace Smith. If Brooks becomes starter, Smith can be cut with only $1.5m against cap. Another strategic move set up by Smith and Olsen. Jones replaces Myers in 2014. We should draft a OG to prepare for 2014.
Wade was dealing with ankle sprain for the last 2 months of the 2011 season. He has to date not shown a recurrence of his problem.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #69
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Third Man View Post
I think the Texans would be overjoyed to get a first for Tate. I don't see it happening. He's just about to go into his second contract. When was the last time a non-elite running back garnered a first round pick? I don't think teams would want to give up a number one pick *and* pay a running back a big contract, which is what they would be committing to with Tate. I think the Texans would do well to get another second rounder and a lower pick. They may want to ride it out with Tate through next year while (if) the Super Bowl window is still open.
I agree. If they were to get an first rounder it would have been this past offseason. Maybe a late second this off season which is something rather than nothing. Just have to weigh the pros and cons of just hanging on to him and let him walk.
Titans Sux 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #70
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Inside LB and NT.

We could get exposed if teams just rush up the gut. When Reggie Bush is running off Guard and getting crazy runs on you...then you're looking at NT and ILB issues, IMO.

Cushing would feast if Wade would put a true run stuffer like Dobbins in beside Cush. And if we had a legit stud at NT? Championship.
Old 09-29-2012   #71
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Inside LB and NT.

We could get exposed if teams just rush up the gut. When Reggie Bush is running off Guard and getting crazy runs on you...then you're looking at NT and ILB issues, IMO.

Cushing would feast if Wade would put a true run stuffer like Dobbins in beside Cush. And if we had a legit stud at NT? Championship.
I agree GP but Dobbins has been banged up. Kubiak said everyone except Jean had a full practice Friday so maybe we'll see more of him tomorrow.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #72
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I agree GP but Dobbins has been banged up. Kubiak said everyone except Jean had a full practice Friday so maybe we'll see more of him tomorrow.
I don't think even if Dobbins was fully healthy and Bradie James was only at 85% would Wade ever put Dobbins in there.

Wade thinks Bradie's the bomb. I'm having a hard time getting onboard with it. I know he "knows the Wade Phillips defense and calls the plays and stuff" but I just don't see how that can outweigh what happens in the middle, with our LBs, when the ball is snapped. Dobbins kills runners. He eats them and spits them out, and he's not in the game. It's maddening.
Old 09-29-2012   #73
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think jones and brooks are your future starters at the guard spots. Meyers will likely be here for a while.

Depending on how the RT position shakes out I think we may look for an OT fairly high. Maybe not first round, but maybe 2nd or 3rd.
I agree with this except I expect the RT position to be handled by Newton and Harris, one way or the other. If they don't get it done, then I think you're right. That will be a high priority next draft.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #74
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Third Man View Post
I could see Tate being a back up Texan next season but do think a team that needs a back that can catch and run to protect a huge QB investment risking a 22-31 first. If he does as well as we hope this season a team knows what is is getting + a real cheap year before negotiating. He would not have to get a Foster type deal.

It is hard to be elite when you have Foster getting 25+ carries.
Old 09-29-2012   #75
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I could see Tate being a back up Texan next season but do think a team that needs a back that can catch and run to protect a huge QB investment risking a 22-31 first. If he does as well as we hope this season a team knows what is is getting + a real cheap year before negotiating. He would not have to get a Foster type deal.

It is hard to be elite when you have Foster getting 25+ carries.
As long as we can enjoy it, we ought to be very thankful for and maintain the Twin Terror.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #76
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
As long as we can enjoy it, we ought to be very thankful for and maintain the Twin Terror.
Where's the "Amen, Brother" smiley?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #77
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Wade was dealing with ankle sprain for the last 2 months of the 2011 season. He has to date not shown a recurrence of his problem.
Thanks for confirming as I thought you had posted to this but I was thinking I might have confused with Caldwell. IMO, Smith needs to step it up.
Old 09-29-2012   #78
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I do think Brooks is the future at RG and Jones is the future at C while filling in at OG so that he gets some experience. W. Smith probably won't be replaced until after the 2013 season and his replacement will most likely be drafted next year to sit for a year behind Smith and then take over the next year. We could also draft a much better RT next year and then move Newton to LG where his limited speed/athleticism for RT wouldn't hurt the team so much and his good enough athleticism for LG would be an assett. I think that's a possibility but I don't think we do it. I think W. Smiths replacement is still in college. I also think that we'll be looking at OT's who have better athleticism than OG's and convert them to the OG position.

As for Tate a 1st round pick from a bad NFC team would be outstanding but I don't think it will happen. I think TTM is correct no team is going to want to give up a 1st AND pay him a major contract. I think it's much more likely that we get a 2nd and a 3rd or 4th. St. Louis would be the perfect team to trade with, they've got extra picks available from the RGIII trade with Washington this year, they're in the NFC so we wouldn't have to play against Tate very often, and they're not a good team so those picks would be high in each respective round. Also Steven Jackson is getting older and slowing down a bit and they could solidify a position that would take alot of pressure off of Bradford.

Rick Wagner-OT could fall to us in the 3rd. He's a bit slow for NFL level OT but he'd be a stud at LG or RG.

BB, how much longer are you working on this mock? When are you posting?
How about to Denver who has only 31YOA McGahee or New England whose Stevan Ridley teased with his first game against our next opponent then has fotten worst each week?

I plan on posting new mock after 1/4 mark, probably Monday. You probably won't like it.
Old 09-29-2012   #79
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Nope. I prefer a starting Jake Matthews or Barrett who can play RG or RT than a back up RB.
Old 09-30-2012   #80
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How about to Denver who has only 31YOA McGahee or New England whose Stevan Ridley teased with his first game against our next opponent then has fotten worst each week?

I plan on posting new mock after 1/4 mark, probably Monday. You probably won't like it.
I'd trade Tate to whatever team gives us the best deal. St. Louis makes alot of sense though since they have the extra picks to deal with, they suck so whatever picks we get from them will be high in their respective rounds, and Tate would be in the NFC so we don't have to face him but every 4 yrs.. I'm leery of dealing with New England (Bellichick), he strikes me as a snake oil salesman.

I've finished my latest as well. Why do you think I won't like yours?
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read