Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-26-2012   #21
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texan weaknesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Dont have to.

Didnt say they were strengths.

Do you have to be strong not to be weak, or can you just be average?
Sure you can and you may be. Most of us are interested in our team getting better and that is why we discuss things like this. Your first post was insulting and you seem to have little to contribute. You could have said you were okay with the team and left it at that.
Old 09-26-2012   #22
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 50351 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Interior run defense, offensive line protection.
Old 09-26-2012   #23
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 274145 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Whats insulting to me is to be 3-0 and have people starting threads about our team being weak.

But, to each his own ...
Are you really, honestly insulted by that or is this just hyperbole?

Two resolutions for you: 1) don't click the thread, or 2) get thicker skin and save being insulted for something that really matters.
Old 09-26-2012   #24
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans have no weaknesses people! Move along, there's nothing to see here...
Old 09-26-2012   #25
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 192005 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

What's scary is that we're 3-0 and we have so many areas we can improve.

On defense, our outside linebackers haven't been getting sacks. They've been getting pressure but they could stand to get a few more sacks.

We looked human against the rush at times. But that was against Reggie Bush and Maurice Jones-Drew and we were able to take the ball out of their hands in other ways. We're only allowing 3.8 yards per rush at this point but if we get into a situation where we've got to stop the run against a good running back, we could have some issues.

We've gotten lucky with opponent receivers dropping balls against us or we might look worse against the pass than we do now.

On offense, we're not putting up pinball types of stats. Although we're 5th in Net Yards per Pass Attempt (which includes sack yardage), we really haven't thrown the ball that much OR tried to go long that much (except for the last game.) Our running game right now is a bit down and the yards per attempt isn't where I'd like it. We need to run more effectively against stacked boxes to close out the games.

That's actually a kind of a nice place to be.

The only phase that is scary is our Special Teams. We haven't gotten the production out of Holliday that we were expecting. We've gotten into a lot of long-field situations with the ball deep in our own territory... otoh, we've forced some turnovers and gotten some short fields, too.

But our ST needs to show up more. And we'll be tested on ST against the Titans.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012   #26
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 201178 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans are a fairly good balanced team with no horrible glaring weaknesses. Which isn't to say they don't have some soft spots, because they do. It's just they are the most balanced they have ever been in all the years we've been watching them.

You could count on one hand the number of NFL teams that are this balanced. Right now we should be happy considering what we've had to endure in the past with this team.

But, I wouldn't mind them spending a few high draft choices on the O line.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012   #27
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 192005 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
At this point in time, I'd like a MLB to replace James, an NT/DT, and then another guy for the OL.
Old 09-26-2012   #28
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to see our ST improve. When our ST improve, we would be really tough to beat.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012   #29
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 73223 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
What's scary is that we're 3-0 and we have so many areas we can improve.

On defense, our outside linebackers haven't been getting sacks. They've been getting pressure but they could stand to get a few more sacks.

We looked human against the rush at times. But that was against Reggie Bush and Maurice Jones-Drew and we were able to take the ball out of their hands in other ways. We're only allowing 3.8 yards per rush at this point but if we get into a situation where we've got to stop the run against a good running back, we could have some issues.

We've gotten lucky with opponent receivers dropping balls against us or we might look worse against the pass than we do now.

On offense, we're not putting up pinball types of stats. Although we're 5th in Net Yards per Pass Attempt (which includes sack yardage), we really haven't thrown the ball that much OR tried to go long that much (except for the last game.) Our running game right now is a bit down and the yards per attempt isn't where I'd like it. We need to run more effectively against stacked boxes to close out the games.

That's actually a kind of a nice place to be.

The only phase that is scary is our Special Teams. We haven't gotten the production out of Holliday that we were expecting. We've gotten into a lot of long-field situations with the ball deep in our own territory... otoh, we've forced some turnovers and gotten some short fields, too.

But our ST needs to show up more. And we'll be tested on ST against the Titans.
Dinger for TNP's assertation.

The bolded is my contribution, but he beat me to it. Gotta do something to tighten up Coach Joe's teams. They haven't looked sharp at all to me. Granted, it's tough to follow on TV but the rusults aren't. I will say I think Merciles has been doing a pretty good job as has Braman.

Edit: MSR

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012   #30
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Used to think I'd never say it, but I wonder if Coach Joe could use replacing. I know it's been said that he's never adjusted from not being able to use "the wedge" anymore, and that very much seems to be the case.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012   #31
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 73223 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The Texans are a fairly good balanced team with no horrible glaring weaknesses. Which isn't to say they don't have some soft spots, because they do. It's just they are the most balanced they have ever been in all the years we've been watching them.

You could count on one hand the number of NFL teams that are this balanced. Right now we should be happy considering what we've had to endure in the past with this team.

To the bolded: I think you can count them on one 'finger'. The Texans are the most balance team in the NFL. Just as they were last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
At this point in time, I'd like a MLB to replace James, an NT/DT, and then another guy for the OL.
I agree about Bradie James. He seems to be a weak link but I've also watched him make a few plays. Less than I've seen him give up though. He often looks out of place. And he's Wade's guy??

In regards to nose tackle, I was damn impressed with Mitchell VS. the Donks. He was in or around a butt load of plays Sunday.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012   #32
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 266978 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Several people have mentioned run D. Obviously want to improve anywhere possible and run D is very important. I think it is useful to compare how we have done compared to other teams average performances.

Rushing ypc against us v. their overall average.

Miami 4.2 ypc v. 5.0 ypc
Jacksonville 4.6 ypc v. 4.5 ypc
Denver 2.8 ypc v. 3.6 ypc (4.0 before they played us)

So last year's rushing title holder had an average day against us. Miami and last year's #1 rushing team had significantly below average days playing the Texans.

I think the biggest need right now is improved special teams play.
Old 09-26-2012   #33
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3890 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

Weaknesses:
Special teams need to get it together, that safety was just unnecessary.
Our secondary showed a little weakness against an elite quarterback.
Old 09-26-2012   #34
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 65939 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Biggest weakness i see

hmm we could use a newer nicer trophy case to hold the lombardi trophy, we will SOON recieve,,,,, that greatly concerns me.

And the price of beer in the stadium.

And the fact that the local SA stations have to show every overtime game in the world before getting to the texans game.

Yeah guys i feel ya gigantic weaknesses that need to seriously be addressed
Old 09-26-2012   #35
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 96950 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans only weakness, are weak fans who believe the Texans have a weakness.
I get what you're saying, especially when the Texans are gonna go 19-0 and all, but there can still be some weaknesses. For example, it took the trainers 2.1 seconds to get to Schaub after he was "Holyfield"... The trainers need to get that cleaned up. It should've taken them 1.6 seconds.

Another thing is the cheerleaders! Where is Lindsay (aka Lil'Red), Celina and the original "twins"? Whatup with that, yo??

There are plenty of weaknesses if you truly want to be objective!!!
Old 09-26-2012   #36
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Football Outsiders does a really nice job rating teams on efficiency. We're rated 3rd overall. Want to know why? Because we are rated 32/32 on special teams. Yup, 32/32. Ouch
Old 09-26-2012   #37
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164009 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Football Outsiders does a really nice job rating teams on efficiency. We're rated 3rd overall. Want to know why? Because we are rated 32/32 on special teams. Yup, 32/32. Ouch
IIRC that's a drop from 31 last week.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012   #38
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
IIRC that's a drop from 31 last week.
It takes into account touchback percentage (Graham doesn't kick a lot of TBs)
Also the majority of Hollidays KRs have not been past the 20
And we allowed a PR TD
Old 09-27-2012   #39
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
It takes into account touchback percentage (Graham doesn't kick a lot of TBs)
I'm starting to think that might be by design. Graham could, and did, kick some out of the end-zone in Denver but it looked like he purposefully tried to put several right at the end-line.

CnD mentioned he thought it might be a Coach Joe call and he may be right.
Old 09-27-2012   #40
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25491 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Weaknesses:

RT, neither Newton (7th rounder in his 2nd season) or Harris (extensive injury history) thrill me with confidence. The rotation of them at the position seems to be working but I don't see either of them at this point being the long term solution to the position. Maybe Newton improves with experience, but he was a 7th round pick for a reason.

DT/NT, we've all noticed the Texans weakness in run defense up the middle. Cody will be a FA at the end of the year and Mitchell doesn't seem to be great, though I think he works well in a rotation at DT. I think Cody leaves at the end of the season and DT/NT should be a high priority in the 2013 draft. We both like the same guys here.

CB, McCain will be a FA at the end of this season and although he's only an average CB, even mediocre CB's can be expensive in FA. I think McCain will be gone at the end of the season and we still don't know what we have in Harris and Carmichael. I think we could use a talent upgrade at CB. You can never have to many good CB's.

WR, even with Jean and Martin I think we could get better at WR. It's a possibility that Walter could be a salary cap cut at the end of the season and even if he's not some better talent to be the future #2 WR with possibility of becoming the future #1 WR would sure be nice.

RG, I think this is currently a slight weakness since Caldwell has been disappointing but I think we've got the talent already on the team to fill the RG spot for years to come. Either Brooks or Jones will most likely be the future of the position.

P, Donnie Jones has been decent but not great and he's 32 yoa. and not getting any younger. Also field position is so important in the NFL so an upgrade seems to be in order here.

FB, I'd like to see us find a real full time FB for those obvious short yardage/goal line situations where Vonta was so valuable. I like Casey's versatility but he's not a real FB when you need to pound the ball in and I haven't paid any attention to Clutts.

ILB, Bradie James has been unimpressive and I'd like to see Dobbins get a shot at being the starter. Dobbins looked real good in preseason. Both James and Dobbins might be one year rentals anyway.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read