Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2012   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kubiak is who he is

One of the things I've read on the boards over and over again is that fans would like to see us get up early on an opponent and then really step on their throats to finish the game. Go up by 20 by halftime? Make it 40 by the end.

While I would love to see that style from time to time as well, its important to remember that our head coach is Gary Kubiak. Thats not his style. He plays for a lead and then plays to protect that lead.

There are arguments to be made on both sides of this idea -- whether its better to keep your food on the gas pedal or better to eat the clock and "go turtle." But saying that our team is a failure for doing the latter is not accurate. We play the game our coach wants to play. We aren't going to blow teams out by 40 points. We aren't going to score 40+ very often. We have a good defense and he trusts that defense.

In yesterday's game there was a point where we were in 3rd and 10+. I think it was 12. I told my friends that there was a 100% chance of a run or a WR screen. And guess what? WR screen for 4 yards.

Thats the type of plays Kubiak calls when he's ahead. He's not going to risk a turnover when the other team is in scoring position. Instead of being frustrated and thinking that we failed to collect a 3rd down conversion, its important to know "Thats what Kubiak expected to happen, and he's ok with it"

Thats our identity. We play for the lead, and then rely on our run game and superior defense to protect it. Stop thinking of 4th quarters where the other team scores and we don't as failures. We aren't changing, and right now we're 3-0

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read