Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2012   #1
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ben Jones needs to start at RG

Not even questionable, our running game was on fire with him in. He needs to start.
Old 09-24-2012   #2
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ben Jones needs to start at RG

I think Ben Jones might be the player that I always hoped Antione Caldwell would become.
Old 09-24-2012   #3
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

He did get moved back a good 6 yards on the Tate running play in the first quarter, I'd have to revisit the game tape to determine the exact play, but every other play he was very good at sealing his block.
Old 09-24-2012   #4
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

He looked terrific for most of the game. Great pick up by the Texans.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240829 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I think Ben Jones might be the player that I always hoped Antione Caldwell would become.
This. I can't express how disappointed I am in Caldwell. I have only noticed Jones a few times int he run game, burying people. How has he looked on pass plays? Maybe that's why he isn't playing full time yet?
Old 09-24-2012   #6
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80044 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm with you man. This guy may turn out to be "that guy" that is the surprise of this year's draft.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Not so fast!

I've always said that I like Ben Jones better as a prospect out of college, but Caldwell's play shouldn't lose him his job yet.

We scored 24 points with Caldwell in the game and 7 with Ben Jones.

Both had a few subpar plays and it should continue to be a good battle to watch.

Ii will depend on how fast Ben Jones can improve; let's hope he can improve sooner rather than later (or slowly or not at all).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-24-2012   #8
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Not so fast!

I've always said that I like Ben Jones better as a prospect out of college, but Caldwell's play shouldn't lose him his job yet.

Both had a few subpar plays and it should continue to be a good battle to watch.

Ii will depend on how fast Ben Jones can improve; let's hope he can improve sooner rather than later (or slowly or not at all).
I think Jones will continue to improve and will be an OG starter next year. Hopefully big Brandon Brooks can get up to speed and be ready to start next year. Having an interior line of Jones, Myers, and Brooks would be absolutely filthy.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #9
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't watched that spot closely but I will point out the only time Caldwell stuck out to me was on the Kevin Walter TD. He gets pushed back about 10 feet and the defender is just using him for a punching bag. Watch him closely on that play, it looks like he just wilts, he might have been yelling "uncle."
Old 09-24-2012   #10
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240829 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

If you go back and watch the Schaub INT, Ben Jones is in at RG on that play and he puts his guy on the ground. I just happened to notice it after I asked about his pass pro upthread.
Old 09-24-2012   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Jones evaluation as starting RG material should be conclusive starting next week against the Titans.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #12
getball2dre
Rookie

I have been very impressed with Jones so far. He's a little undersized for a guard, but he definitely uses it to his advantage to get to the 2nd level so quickly.
Old 09-24-2012   #13
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Not so fast!

We also coughed up the ball when Caldwell got beat to the inside on his block and stripped Tate. Neither was perfect but I believe Ben Jones is the better option.
Old 09-24-2012   #14
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3890 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

He is a monster. Holds the block and opens up a huge hole.
Old 09-24-2012   #15
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

It looked like, on that play, that the DL had stuck his hand into the gut of Tate and basically was able to disrupt Tate's attempt to secure the ball with both hands/arms.

So for me, I blame the OL for missing that assignment so quickly. Great play by the DL, no doubt, but the OL was not helping matters for us.
Old 09-24-2012   #16
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Caldwell also got destroyed on the third and 3 that would have finished out the game in the 4th quarter, not even close. Looks to try and cut block and whiffs.
Old 09-24-2012   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
I think Jones will continue to improve and will be an OG starter next year. Hopefully big Brandon Brooks can get up to speed and be ready to start next year. Having an interior line of Jones, Myers, and Brooks would be absolutely filthy.
This is what I hope the interior of the OL looks like after next yr.

Provided Jones and Brooks keep improving and play up to their talent level.

Hopefully, Brooks is spending this yr learning what it takes to be a pro OL. (Not just talent, which he's loaded with. But discipline and healthy eating habits)
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Once again, I had said during the draft season that I like Ben Jones better than Caldwell as a prospect. I also like Brandon Brooks for the long term better than Caldwell.

But one look at the number of snaps each players played and grade them on each.
Ben also had some poor plays.
He had not done enough to unseat Caldwell from the starting spot, IMHO.

It's all good.
Before the season starts, a few posters didn't think Kubiak will alternate players.
I disagreed.
I didn't see either Newton or Butler as lock; I didn't see either Caldwell or Brooks as lock.
I "promised" that Ben Jones is the heir apparent to Myers at Center (I never said the same thing about Caldwell back then when he was drafted - and Myers wasn't as good then as he is today), but I also believed that he (BJ) can fit well at Guard.
I was glad to see him playing multi-positions in the PS (and did well).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Now hold on right there! Sounds like this thread has been saying our Oline guys are rotating. I got clobbered preseason talking about rotating on the offensive line. Castigated I was. "32 NFL teams do not rotate Oline" so why would I even suggest that a rotation would be considered? Dline yes but how dare I suggest an Oline rotation? Wish I could find that thread so I could have a bit of cold revenge. WHAHAHA
Old 09-24-2012   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Now hold on right there! Sounds like this thread has been saying our Oline guys are rotating. I got clobbered preseason talking about rotating on the offensive line. Castigated I was. "32 NFL teams do not rotate Oline" so why would I even suggest that a rotation would be considered? Dline yes but how dare I suggest an Oline rotation? Wish I could find that thread so I could have a bit of cold revenge. WHAHAHA
Rep your way. Good call.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read