Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-08-2005   #21
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffi2
But wait! As was previously stated somewhere on this board - year 1 was the year pre-play when Capers was coach, but just getting ready or whatever he was doing - doesn't that count? It works for me!
To the OP - Good question - Alot of players may wash out after this year and a change in staff. We have a handful of Marquee guys and some undervalued talent that needs experience, but alot of people on this team would be backups on other teams. Obviously the staff has "under" graded some talent too and weve certainly lacked without them, but I look for a LOT of changes in this team and staff during the 2006 Off-season - Much like I stated in this years Off-season when the changes needed to be made were not addressed by this current staff.

My keepers are:

On Offense: Carr, Johnson, Davis, Hodgedon, Pitts, Morency, Mathis, Gaffney, Armstrong, Wells, Bruener, Ragone, Norris
On Defense are : Drob, CCBrown, Wong, Payne, TJ, FAggins,
ST: Kris Brown, Stanley

Unfortunately I know we have contract money out to a host of other players on this team, but these are the guys I would move forward with and a new staff. Will be interesting to se how close we are when the time comes and they start the off-season just how many guys are still around next year and then the following year esp with no CBA in place currently in the NFL between players and owners for the future.

Dunno why I have to keep explaining this to folks - All of this info is listed in the "Texans Timeline" on the main webpage. It is the 5th year of the franchise allready people. Casserly is going into year 6 of this "Texans" organization. This is year 5 for the Coaching staff already. Not sure of the TOA but I can bet Dom's contract should expire in Jan if its a 5 year plan.

Seasons :
2000-2001 - Hiring Cass and organizing the team
2001-2002 - Hired Capers, Palmer, Fangio and rest of staff - Scouts players - November 5th - first player workouts
2002-2003 - First team season
2003-2004 - Second Team Season
2004-2005 - Third Team Season
2005-2006 - 4th Team Season

And all of this well the first year doesnt count biz I think is bull - When you look at a contract it usually states from X day to X day. 5 years ends in January for Dom and the gang by my clock.

Last edited by U4ikrob; 11-08-2005 at 04:20 PM.
U4ikrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #22
Jerry
Veteran

No Babin or Peek? I'd keep 'em too; imagine them + good coaching.

I can't see any of our "talent" leaving, although I wish there was a way we could get rid of some players without taking a cap hit
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #23
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry
No Babin or Peek? I'd keep 'em too; imagine them + good coaching.

I can't see any of our "talent" leaving, although I wish there was a way we could get rid of some players without taking a cap hit
Actually neither player has impressed me much. Both have conditioning issues and neither plays smart football very well. Peek has on and off games - many mroe off than on. As talents I think we over-paid for both of them and I never would have traded up for Babin. He's a tweener who has produced very little other than tattoos. Both players are second string right now for a reason and I would bring in alot of competition at LB to compete and see just how much they want a job. Because honestly right now - Ive seen both plaeyrs Mouths move alot more than their bodies have on game day.
Old 11-08-2005   #24
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

[quote=U4ikrob]To the OP - Good question - Alot of players may wash out after this year and a change in staff. We have a handful of Marquee guys and some undervalued talent that needs experience, but alot of people on this team would be backups on other teams. Obviously the staff has "under" graded some talent too and weve certainly lacked without them, but I look for a LOT of changes in this team and staff during the 2006 Off-season - Much like I stated in this years Off-season when the changes needed to be made were not addressed by this current staff.

My keepers are:

On Offense: Carr, Johnson, Davis, Hodgedon, Pitts, Morency, Mathis, Gaffney, Armstrong, Wells, Bruener, Ragone, Norris

Perhaps Robbaire Smith? no way you keep faggins without keeping p-buch. alos think that wong, peek (if used correctly) and babin are worth keeping. I think we got ripped off on the greenwood deal, but he is here for a while. We definatley need a new FS and more importantly, some man coverage and maybe a blitz or two!!!
Old 11-08-2005   #25
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by U4ikrob
To the OP - Good question - Alot of players may wash out after this year and a change in staff. We have a handful of Marquee guys and some undervalued talent that needs experience, but alot of people on this team would be backups on other teams. Obviously the staff has "under" graded some talent too and weve certainly lacked without them, but I look for a LOT of changes in this team and staff during the 2006 Off-season - Much like I stated in this years Off-season when the changes needed to be made were not addressed by this current staff.

My keepers are:

Unfortunately I know we have contract money out to a host of other players on this team, but these are the guys I would move forward with and a new staff. Will be interesting to se how close we are when the time comes and they start the off-season just how many guys are still around next year and then the following year esp with no CBA in place currently in the NFL between players and owners for the future.

Dunno why I have to keep explaining this to folks - All of this info is listed in the "Texans Timeline" on the main webpage. It is the 5th year of the franchise allready people. Casserly is going into year 6 of this "Texans" organization. This is year 5 for the Coaching staff already. Not sure of the TOA but I can bet Dom's contract should expire in Jan if its a 5 year plan.

Seasons :
2000-2001 - Hiring Cass and organizing the team
2001-2002 - Hired Capers, Palmer, Fangio and rest of staff - Scouts players - November 5th - first player workouts
2002-2003 - First team season
2003-2004 - Second Team Season
2004-2005 - Third Team Season
2005-2006 - 4th Team Season

And all of this well the first year doesnt count biz I think is bull - When you look at a contract it usually states from X day to X day. 5 years ends in January for Dom and the gang by my clock.
dont really think the first two count as seasons, but whatever...
Old 11-08-2005   #26
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run
dont really think the first two count as seasons, but whatever...
I understand your point - Since i'm not Dom and dont have his contract to get details from I'll speculate that if Dom's contract is for 5 years that ends in January.

What I cant understand is how you can ignore player scouting and training in Doms first year [2001] as not counting as being employed as coach of the team. I know he was "Hired" and paid as the coach and if i'm signing a guy to a contract that first year definitely would have been part of the contract deal - Palyers or no players - hes still an employee and Coach of the Texans. Granted he didnt have alot of players to coach or work with, but he had to scout talent, and held camps in Nov and December. Will be interesting to see what kind of deal he actually did sign and if at the end of this season there is a contract buyout or if he is "Let go". My hunch is the latter.

As for Robaire Smith - I didnt include him because I would like to see him produce more on the D-line. He can stop a run, but has little upfield push asa d-line guy and think we could bring in FA and other talent to compete at all positions at this point and would like to see all players whom havent shown up this year or stand out to have to compete in camp for a job.

Last edited by U4ikrob; 11-08-2005 at 05:09 PM.
U4ikrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #27
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Actually neither player has impressed me much. Both have conditioning issues and neither plays smart football very well. Peek has on and off games - many mroe off than on. As talents I think we over-paid for both of them and I never would have traded up for Babin. He's a tweener who has produced very little other than tattoos. Both players are second string right now for a reason and I would bring in alot of competition at LB to compete and see just how much they want a job. Because honestly right now - Ive seen both plaeyrs Mouths move alot more than their bodies have on game day.
Overpaid for Peek? He was a 3rd round draft pick and projected as a 3rd round draft pick. How did they pay too much for him? By the way, he has started every game this year so what's up with 2nd string?
Old 11-08-2005   #28
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Overpaid for Peek? He was a 3rd round draft pick and projected as a 3rd round draft pick. How did they pay too much for him? By the way, he has started every game this year so what's up with 2nd string?
Ahh good catch I was thinking of Babin when I wrote that - not Peek - lol my bad. Peek had other "Off-field" problems that made me want to look at others is why I was commenting.
Old 11-08-2005   #29
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
Vinny dont get me wrong I dont want him, but as said by Jaws on ESPN. He will land with a desperate team, it just so happens that we are one of the deperate teams this year. Everyone knows the trading period ends Week 6 big man.
we passed desperate about 2 losses ago. we are now finished for this year. to could only help ruin next years draft. then by next year he would be board and start causing trouble.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #30
SESupergenius

Not to defend Peek but this last game he really didn't get a lot of chance to gain sacks because of our soft zone defense. We really didn't blitz all the much, if at all.
Old 11-08-2005   #31
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

Quote:
Ahh good catch I was thinking of Babin when I wrote that - not Peek - lol my bad. Peek had other "Off-field" problems that made me want to look at others is why I was commenting.
Off field problems? If you consider his lawyers screwing up his child support payments and him already making up for the mistake of not watching his money more closely, then i guess you can call him a person with off field problems. If you watch the games he is very close to multiple sacks but the zone secondary is so bad he has maybe 2 secs to get to the QB most plays so no one will make many plays with that time. When things get turned around with the Defensive scheme and they dump the 3-4 cover 2 debacle he will prove his worth.
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #32
phan1
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansR#1
Do yall think the talent we do have will ask for a trade becuase they dont want to be on a losing team anymore?
Unless we become the laughing stock of the league season after season (Bengals), than there's nothing to worry about. Why? Because players still get a big fat paycheck at the end of the day. Do we see Chicago's really good linebacker (sorry forgot his name) gripe? Do we see Detroit's WRs gripe? I don't see players boycotting our team anytime soon. Despite our record, I think this organization is too 1st class for that.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #33
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's a tweener who has produced very little other than tattoos. Both players are second string right now for a reason and I would bring in alot of competition at LB to compete and see just how much they want a job. Because honestly right now - Ive seen both plaeyrs Mouths move alot more than their bodies have on game day.
Have you noticed the trend that all of our players with big Tattos have problems making plays? First Stevens now Babin....
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #34
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17
Have you noticed the trend that all of our players with big Tattos have problems making plays? First Stevens now Babin....
Works too if you replace tattoos with trucks and plays with.. uhm...
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #35
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansR#1
Do yall think the talent we do have will ask for a trade becuase they dont want to be on a losing team anymore?
Even though it was a five year plan, McNair has stated that the teams needs to continue to progress. It is obvious this team is not progressing anymore so I believe a change will be in order next year.

I also believe our talent will stay as long as a change is made because it shows that the organization is committed to winning. If no change is made, I could see frustration levels reaching their limits and some players asking for a change of scenery.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #36
ATX_Texan
Veteran

I think you are starting to see the effect of our horrible coaching staff on the players. Most feel that Sharper and Glenn were run out of town by the Texans. I tend to feel that it was a mutual parting. Glenn was smart enough to realize that the five year plan here was not going to turn out very well. With a limited time in the NFL, I can see why he would want to get out of town. Most older players will prefer to get to a playoff team.

If the Texans, bring in a new and improved coaching staff, I feel that retaining players and getting free agents will happen. This organization is a top five revenue producing team (for now). So, we are not like the cash strapped Saints and Cardinals of the world. The other piece is to demonstrate a commitment to winning, which will hopefully happen when Capers and crew are shown the door sooner than later.
ATX_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #37
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I've always felt that Drew Rosenhaus will make sure AJ goes to a winning team.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #38
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

ever heard of Julian Peterson? Andra Davis?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #39
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
I've always felt that Drew Rosenhaus will make sure AJ goes to a winning team.
What?
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005   #40
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTEXan8
I don't think anyone will seek a trade, but I do think someone will hold-out for more money because they want to get paid big money if they are going to play with a loser.
When was the last time that happened? More specifically when was the last time a non-probowl player with cruddy stats (as any Texan will be this year) held out in that fashion?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read