Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-22-2012   #21
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46287 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Game over. What's your take?

If we beat Denver, we should be 4-0 when we play the Jets, who will likely be 2-2 and coming off a beating at the hands of the 49ers.

Win that game, am I'm feeling good about our game stretch against the packers, Ravens and Bills, though I only expect us to drop one of those games.

After that, we'd be sitting at 7-1 or 6-2 with the only 3 somewhat difficult games (Bears, Lions, Pats) so even if we dropped 2 and then all 3 of those, we're at 11-5 and likely the top seed in the AFC.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012   #22
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we have to win this game to look like a Superbowl contender to everyone right now, including myself.

The one exception is if Peyton plays in every way like he did 2 or more years ago and we lose by 7 or less, since it is a road game, keeping in mind that we're not going to a Superbowl if we can't beat any AFC team, including the Broncos.

In reality, our record in December and how we are playing will tell us a lot more than one road game against anybody will right now.

What I want is to beat Peyton and the Broncos by 20 points just like they are just another Dolpins, Jaguars, etc. Just keep beating teams like they are just another....whoever they are... It's not time to try and be competitive anymore; it's time to IMPOSE OUR FREAKING WILL and just keep on going. Having said that, sometimes imposing your will means looong, time-consuming drives that include a lot of 3rd and 2's and running the ball a LOT. A game against Manning is a good time for that kind of romping. I don't mind seeing him flat on his back with the ball flying straight up into the air either...

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012   #23
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

A loss, and I'll be disappointed, not just because I think Houston is better, but also because no more perfect season. I think Denver's D is soft, but quick and the Texan's O should be able to deal with them. Even with the Peyton I've learned to respect over the years, it would be a test for him against this D, that has given up a total of 10 points so far. Of the two, I'm not sold on Peyton yet.

However, in respect of the my outlook on the season, I think the Texan's real litmus on the season comes in weeks 5,6 and 7. A win or loss against the Bronco's will more shape my view of how Houston heads into those weeks, more so than the remainder of the season. After the bye, looking at the schedule, I question the Lions and maybe Patriots games. Outside of those two, I feel losing to any other team will be just the same as losing to the Bronco's.... Disappointing that they lost a game they should have won. What's probably most disappointing is knowing all the talking heads will be blabbering about Houston played 1 "quality" team and lost...

So far, Houston has beat the teams they should win against. I'm happy taking 20 point wins each week. Would love to see the trend continue!

Can you imagine the swagger and confidence of the Texans with... a beat down in Denver, then playing the Titans, who seems to always bring the nasty out of Houston... Just in time to roll into the Meadowlands with a 4-0 record? If we could witness the Texans "pants" the Jets, that would be soooo rewarding and then how do you like the Pack and Ravens??
Old 09-22-2012   #24
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

If we go 3-0 and we beat Manning in his new house with that crowd I think the sky is the limit for us in the AFC. I don't think losing is as big of a deal unless we get blown out, which will suck but there will still be a week 4 vs the Titans at home. It'll be a good test against a really good QB that we really didn't get after the halfway mark through last season.
Old 09-22-2012   #25
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

The next three games against the Broncos, Titans and Jets are must wins if we want to end up with the 1st seed in the AFC, first-round bye in the playoffs and homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. Every conference game is important to win due to possible tiebreakers. The Texans have a chance to go 5-0 going into the Packers game. Get 'er, done!
Old 09-22-2012   #26
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I have had this conversation before but maybe not with you so I'll state my opinion here. A sloppy win counts in W column but I cannot stand them. No I will not advocate changing a sloppy win to a loss but I do not want to watch my team play crappy. Players hate them also. IF we win SB sloppy, it will have little value. Competition is about doing your best not "whew, they outplayed us but despite slop we win!" You & I evidently disagree as I will turn off the TV if we do slop & is why I no longer watch Astros. You want to brag about a win while other folks snicker at you? I just don't get that.
LOL! You're worried about people snickering at you? That's funny. You mean those people who snicker 'cause the Texans won the division without Peyton Manning playing? Those people who snicker at the Rockets 2 championships that they say MJ didn't play? F those people! I don't give a flying pink rat's ass what anyone has to say if my team wins. People are ignorant, if you haven't noticed.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012   #27
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
I have had this conversation before but maybe not with you so I'll state my opinion here. A sloppy win counts in W column but I cannot stand them. No I will not advocate changing a sloppy win to a loss but I do not want to watch my team play crappy. Players hate them also. IF we win SB sloppy, it will have little value. Competition is about doing your best not "whew, they outplayed us but despite slop we win!" You & I evidently disagree as I will turn off the TV if we do slop & is why I no longer watch Astros. You want to brag about a win while other folks snicker at you? I just don't get that.
Old 09-22-2012   #28
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm on record predicting a Texans loss -- and a decisive one. That prediction was made prior to the Broncos/Falcons game and the revelation that Manning's arm isn't nearly what it once was. It's now evident that the Texans, on paper, are simply the better team.

However, the Texans have lost a number of games against teams they should have beaten over the past few years. That's why this game is so meaningful. If the Texans beat the Broncos in Denver it will be a sign that the Texans have become a team that expects to win and then does win. That's what champions do.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012   #29
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
LOL! You're worried about people snickering at you? That's funny. You mean those people who snicker 'cause the Texans won the division without Peyton Manning playing? Those people who snicker at the Rockets 2 championships that they say MJ didn't play? F those people! I don't give a flying pink rat's ass what anyone has to say if my team wins. People are ignorant, if you haven't noticed.
Don't agree as we had major players including our QB out several games. Manning was best player on his team but so was Andre Johnson. You play with the guys you have. You & I are different type people. I want good play you want a win regardless of how it comes.
Old 09-22-2012   #30
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

My predictiion was that expectations would be way too high, and indeed it's panning out.

If we beat Denver, people will think we have the Super Bowl locked up. If we lose to Denver, the sky will fall and everyone will be knocking themselves over to resurrect all those "Fire Kubiak" threads.

Thats how this place rolls.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012   #31
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't agree as we had major players including our QB out several games. Manning was best player on his team but so was Andre Johnson. You play with the guys you have. You & I are different type people. I want good play you want a win regardless of how it comes.
Whatever. The win is what counts in the end. So to each his own, I guess.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012   #32
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't believe there's anyone on this board that doesn't want to see the Texans always at their best and blow the doors off the Broncos or whoever. Not a single person.

But I realize that humans aren't always "at their best". So, IMHO, it's a very strong sign that we're a good team when we can find a way to scratch out a win even when we AREN'T at our best.

There are no style points in the W/L column. Things of beauty and butt-ugly, crappy games both count as one win.

Let me ask you this, if our win ain't a thing of beauty, do you want them to give it back?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012   #33
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Winning is always the most important thing.

Winning and looking bad-ass while doing it is, of course, the goal.

Winning ugly is, at least, a win but it's also a danger signal telling us things we need to fix before someone else finds a way to capitalize on them.

Getting blown out of a game is demoralizing. And no one wants that.

Losing a close one is even more heart-breaking but at least it gives you hope that if you just fix this or that and maybe get a different bounce of the ball, you've got hope for the future.

Of course, this is just talking about me and how I approach and feel about these things.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012   #34
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Winning ugly almost always trumps losing pretty. And the only reason "almost" is in there is because if a key play gets injured and it hurts the team down the road, it was a Pyrrhic victory.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012   #35
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54251 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

No "worries" if we lose unless they give us something to worry about.

I mean, Denver is a good team. Good teams lose to other good teams. It happens.

Not looking forward to the inevitable freakout if we do end up losing tomorrow.

I don't care about looking like a Super Bowl contender right now. It's Week. ****ing. Three.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012   #36
Nox
Rookie

Dont think we can win this one sloppily, but I'm sure we will win it.
Either way, a lot of folks will blow it out of proportion. The only way I'd be bummed is if they play hard and relatively mistake free and still lose, but I dont think thats possible against anyone with this year's Texans.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012   #37
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Texans win or if they lose, how will it shape your view of their remaining season?

Your thoughts?
I'm too busy thinking about what I'll be thinking after the week 6 game versus the Pack. I'm already 4 games ahead. Right now, I'm thinking about what I'll wear on May 18th, 2017. Maybe a light beige dri-fit polo with khakis?
Old 09-22-2012   #38
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 65936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'm too busy thinking about what I'll be thinking after the week 6 game versus the Pack. I'm already 4 games ahead. Right now, I'm thinking about what I'll wear on May 18th, 2017. Maybe a light beige dri-fit polo with khakis?
Take an umbrella, l think it's supposed to rain!
Old 09-23-2012   #39
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Sounds like you're playing golf that day....
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012   #40
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
My predictiion was that expectations would be way too high, and indeed it's panning out.

If we beat Denver, people will think we have the Super Bowl locked up. If we lose to Denver, the sky will fall and everyone will be knocking themselves over to resurrect all those "Fire Kubiak" threads.

Thats how this place rolls.
Man, you hit the nail on the head! Sorry, no "nail on the head" smilie!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read