Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-21-2012   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Game over. What's your take?

If Texans win or if they lose, how will it shape your view of their remaining season? Also how the team plays not just the score should be considered.

If a loss, regardless of the score, I will be very disappointed. If Denver just outplays us but we perform well, it will go down a bit easier but I will still be unhappy. If we lose and it is one fumble or missed field goal or an INT I'd be temporarily PO but could swallow the bile and say "just one play".

Win but sloppy not going to be pleased. I am expecting a very solid, well played victory. There can be mistakes but only those that do not impact game such as off sides by D or a PI by a corner that saves a TD. IMO, Denver is not in our league.

Anything else makes me rethink my belief we are building a dynasty and this could be our Super Bowl year. I want to see a professional team put on a clinic both defense and offense, with a very good game by special teams. It just better be Texans putting on the clinic.

Your thoughts?
Old 09-21-2012   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Game over. What's your take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
I had this penciled in as a loss to begin the season because of Manning and the Bronco defense. However after watching the Falcons game I think we can take them. I had predicted 27-21 because I was homering and have a hard time publically picking against the Texans, but now feel it could easily be 35-14 if we go for the throat.
If we don't go for the throat that is a dangerous signal imo.
Old 09-21-2012   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

When the schedule came out, I expected us to win this game. I expected Manning to struggle early as he recovered from his injuries and as he acclimated to his new team.

I did NOT expect him to come out like he did against the Steelers. That surprised the hell out of me. Against the Falcons, he looked a little bit more like I had expected him to look.

I expect us to win this game. I expect us to play great on both sides of the ball. I expect our defense to play his receivers fairly tight and for our linebackers to find ways to get to Manning. I expect him to be sacked 3-4 times and to be pressured a lot more than that.

I expect our offense to stretch the field early and then pound the rock late.

But this is going to be a hard game. We're playing a good team at home that's coming off a tough loss. And it's Satan, after all.

I'll be sad if we lose but I won't be devastated unless we're crushed.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

If the sloppiness that has cropped up through the first two weeks costs them the game, I'll be less optimistic about their prospects overall. If they lose a well played game, then it won't affect my season outlook.

The Texans don't have enough quality wins the last couple seasons for me to buy into the Super Bowl hype just yet. A win in Denver, in the high altitude, would be a quality win. I think they can pull it off.
Old 09-21-2012   #5
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5860 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

It's too early in the season to get too excited about winning or losing any single game.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
When the schedule came out, I expected us to win this game. I expected Manning to struggle early as he recovered from his injuries and as he acclimated to his new team.

I did NOT expect him to come out like he did against the Steelers. That surprised the hell out of me. Against the Falcons, he looked a little bit more like I had expected him to look.

I expect us to win this game. I expect us to play great on both sides of the ball. I expect our defense to play his receivers fairly tight and for our linebackers to find ways to get to Manning. I expect him to be sacked 3-4 times and to be pressured a lot more than that.

I expect our offense to stretch the field early and then pound the rock late.

But this is going to be a hard game. We're playing a good team at home that's coming off a tough loss. And it's Satan, after all.

I'll be sad if we lose but I won't be devastated unless we're crushed.
How would a win or a loss impact your vision of rest of season or would this game impact your vision at all?
Old 09-21-2012   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
It's too early in the season to get too excited about winning or losing any single game.
So a sloppy loss would not bother you much at all? That is what I am interested in.
Old 09-21-2012   #8
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 44615 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
So a sloppy loss would not bother you much at all? That is what I am interested in.
He expects the Texans to go 0-16, so if some of the losses are "sloppy" he probably won't mind.

As for me, if the Texans win, then meh, they were supposed to win. If the Texans lose, then OMG the sky is falling!!!!
Old 09-21-2012   #9
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5860 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
He expects the Texans to go 0-16, so if some of the losses are "sloppy" he probably won't mind.

As for me, if the Texans win, then meh, they were supposed to win. If the Texans lose, then OMG the sky is falling!!!!
You must be thinking of someone else. Never predicted 0-16 for any team.
Old 09-21-2012   #10
BullBlitz
Section 331

Quote:
Most teams have a loss or two that they would rather forget every year. The Giants had a few last year and ended up winning the Super Bowl. So, no, a loss wouldn't bother me at all.
Old 09-21-2012   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:

So a complete manhandling of Denver would not increase your expectations for remainder of season.
Old 09-21-2012   #12
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 44615 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You must be thinking of someone else. Never predicted 0-16 for any team.
OK, so you didn't make a "full season" prediction. You predicted the Texans would lose to Jacksonville, the worst team on their schedule. So it is hypocritical and disingenious to pretend you think they can beat anyone else. So one week at a time, you are predicting the Texans to go 0-16. And if anyone predicts the Texans will ever win a game, even against the likes of the Dolphins or Jaguars, you dismiss them as a homer.

BTW, I was thinking of you, not someone else.
Old 09-21-2012   #13
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 70160 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Win but sloppy not going to be pleased.
This just doesn't make sense to me. A win is a win. In this league, especially on the road, they aren't easy to come by. You take them when you can get them. If the Texans were in the Super Bowl and played a sloppy game with a bunch of turnovers and penalties, and still found a way to squeak by with a win, they'd still be Super Bowl champs. The only stat that matters at the end of the day is the final score. I don't care how they get there, just have more than the other team.

I'll take 3-0 sloppy all day every day over 2-1 with a well played loss.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012   #14
Fred
All Pro

Quote:
So a complete manhandling of Denver would not increase your expectations for remainder of season.
Meh, my expectations for the rest of the season are high already.

Seriously, a win is a win is a win. Yeah, a manhandling is better than barely squeaking out a victory on a fluke play; but at some point the manhandling turns it into "hey, Denver sucks" as much as "the Texans are great" - thus self-discounting itself.
Old 09-21-2012   #15
BullBlitz
Section 331

Quote:
OK, so you didn't make a "full season" prediction. You predicted the Texans would lose to Jacksonville, the worst team on their schedule. So it is hypocritical and disingenious to pretend you think they can beat anyone else. So one week at a time, you are predicting the Texans to go 0-16. And if anyone predicts the Texans will ever win a game, even against the likes of the Dolphins or Jaguars, you dismiss them as a homer.

BTW, I was thinking of you, not someone else.
First, you admit that you misrepresented me.

Then you state that I'm going predict that the Texans will lose every week for the remainder of the season. Wrong again.

The NFL is pretty balanced; enough so that many teams can return home from a road loss and get a rebound win at home. I thought that it might happen last week, but it didn't. Maybe it will happen this week.
Old 09-22-2012   #16
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been waiting for this game all offseason.. After all the years of tourment I want J.J. Watt and Brian Cushing to stomp a Texas sized mudhole in Satan Manning's ass! I want to see him on the ground early and often.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012   #17
Fred
All Pro

Quote:
First, you admit that you misrepresented me.

Then you state that I'm going predict that the Texans will lose every week for the remainder of the season. Wrong again.

The NFL is pretty balanced; enough so that many teams can return home from a road loss and get a rebound win at home. I thought that it might happen last week, but it didn't. Maybe it will happen this week.
First, admit that you misrepresent yourself. You called anyone predicting a Texans win as a homer. After the Texans crushed the Jaguars you need to post a mea culpa, a "I was completely wrong" not a tepid "I thought that it might happen last week, but it didn't". You didn't "think it might happen". You were 100% c0ck sure. So stop posting in threads about this week if you refuse to man up about last week.
Old 09-22-2012   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
This just doesn't make sense to me. A win is a win. In this league, especially on the road, they aren't easy to come by. You take them when you can get them. If the Texans were in the Super Bowl and played a sloppy game with a bunch of turnovers and penalties, and still found a way to squeak by with a win, they'd still be Super Bowl champs. The only stat that matters at the end of the day is the final score. I don't care how they get there, just have more than the other team.

I'll take 3-0 sloppy all day every day over 2-1 with a well played loss.
I have had this conversation before but maybe not with you so I'll state my opinion here. A sloppy win counts in W column but I cannot stand them. No I will not advocate changing a sloppy win to a loss but I do not want to watch my team play crappy. Players hate them also. IF we win SB sloppy, it will have little value. Competition is about doing your best not "whew, they outplayed us but despite slop we win!" You & I evidently disagree as I will turn off the TV if we do slop & is why I no longer watch Astros. You want to brag about a win while other folks snicker at you? I just don't get that.
Old 09-22-2012   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How would a win or a loss impact your vision of rest of season or would this game impact your vision at all?
If it's just a regular loss or win (1-2 scores), then it's not going to have any impact on my view of the season at all. Very rare for a team to go undefeated and you've got to expect to drop a few here and there. Especially to a good team when you're on the road. And if we win, I won't be surprised by a hard-fought game that's not the cakewalks we've had so far.

If we get crushed (20+ points), then I'll be pretty heart-broken. I'll still expect us to win our division and make the play-offs. But I'm going to expect to host a wild-card game instead of having a bye. I'm going to hope we can find a way to fix whatever weakness the loss uncovered so that it doesn't happen again and I'm going to be hoping that it's not our run defense that lets us down.

If we crush the Broncos (20+ points), then I'm going to hope this is more of an indication of how bad-ass we are and not an indication of how crappy Denver is and it's not going to color my expectations for this season very much. With our division, I expect us to be the first or second seed this season.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
If it's just a regular loss or win (1-2 scores), then it's not going to have any impact on my view of the season at all. Very rare for a team to go undefeated and you've got to expect to drop a few here and there. Especially to a good team when you're on the road. And if we win, I won't be surprised by a hard-fought game that's not the cakewalks we've had so far.

If we get crushed (20+ points), then I'll be pretty heart-broken. I'll still expect us to win our division and make the play-offs. But I'm going to expect to host a wild-card game instead of having a bye. I'm going to hope we can find a way to fix whatever weakness the loss uncovered so that it doesn't happen again and I'm going to be hoping that it's not our run defense that lets us down.

If we crush the Broncos (20+ points), then I'm going to hope this is more of an indication of how bad-ass we are and not an indication of how crappy Denver is and it's not going to color my expectations for this season very much. With our division, I expect us to be the first or second seed this season.
Good post! This is info I am looking for. Thanks for taking the time.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read