Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-18-2012   #1
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Defensive Ranking!

Guess who has the number one defense after week 2? Yep, you guessed it.

Total Defense (YPG)

1. Houston Texans 196.0
2. New England Patriots 264.5
3. San Diego Chargers 266.5
4. Philadelphia Eagles 267.5
5. Green Bay Packers 272.5

Passing (YPG)

1. Houston Texans 124.0
2. Green Bay Packers 132.5
3. Dallas Cowboys 160.0
4. Philadelphia Eagles 162.5
5. Pittsburgh Steelers 184.5

Rushing (YPG)
1. San Diego Chargers 41.5
2. Seattle Seahawks 46.0
3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers 52.0
4. Miami Dolphins 53.0
5. New England Patriots 62.5

Here's to hoping we never give it up!
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #2
TheDrifter
All Pro

Rep Power: 23162 TheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDrifter is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Defensive Ranking!

Know what the Chargers and Patriots have in common right now?
TheDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I expect to see Wade Phillips install more of his play book each game. Due to yardage given up I'd rather be better in pass defense than run but that should improve.
Old 09-18-2012   #4
SrslySirius
Veteran

Rep Power: 1371 SrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respected

We're also #1 in "bendability", which is yards allowed divided by points allowed. A higher number is desirable.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/stats/2012/3/BEND/

Having a good special teams and offense affects this stat, but it's a strong indicator of an effective defense.

We are also #1 in Defensive Real Passing Yards per Attempt. Which basically factors in all dropbacks, so sacks are taken into account.

We're #2 in Defensive Real Quarterback Rating, which is an adjusted version of QBRating that factors in rushing attempts, sacks and fumbles by QBs, as well as everything else normally associated with QBRating.

We're #2 in Defensive Hog Index, a metric that attempts to measure the effectiveness of defensive fronts, and factors in various things like 3rd down conversion %, yards per pass attempt, yards per rush attempt, and percentage of pass plays that result in negative yards.

It's only week 2, but this is all very encouraging. I'll be keeping an eye on these stats as the season progresses.
SrslySirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The good news is we get to face Blaine Gabbert again this year. In Houston.
Old 09-18-2012   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Guess who has the number one defense after week 2? Yep, you guessed it.

Total Defense (YPG)

1. Houston Texans 196.0
2. New England Patriots 264.5
3. San Diego Chargers 266.5
4. Philadelphia Eagles 267.5
5. Green Bay Packers 272.5

Passing (YPG)

1. Houston Texans 124.0
2. Green Bay Packers 132.5
3. Dallas Cowboys 160.0
4. Philadelphia Eagles 162.5
5. Pittsburgh Steelers 184.5

Rushing (YPG)
1. San Diego Chargers 41.5
2. Seattle Seahawks 46.0
3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers 52.0
4. Miami Dolphins 53.0
5. New England Patriots 62.5

Here's to hoping we never give it up!
DUDE!!! It took someone this long to post this???? That said, we'll have a challenge v. Peyton and the Broncos this weekend irrespective of what the Broncos did last night.
Old 09-19-2012   #7
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
The good news is we get to face Blaine Gabbert again this year. In Houston.
I dunno , they might go with Henne if Gabbert keeps looking that poor. But another game against that inept offense sure shouldnt hurt the stats.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2012   #8
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10263 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

both qbs we dominated had good weeks against other teams..
Old 09-19-2012   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Meh!! It's Peyton week!! He's owned us to the tune of 16-2 IIRC...

That said, he's never faced "this" defense. Like Cush once said on "Mic'd Up" (that PapaL just got around to seeing from 2011 - really Papalakos???), "I like my odds!"
Old 09-19-2012   #10
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
We're also #1 in "bendability", which is yards allowed divided by points allowed. A higher number is desirable.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/stats/2012/3/BEND/

Having a good special teams and offense affects this stat, but it's a strong indicator of an effective defense.

We are also #1 in Defensive Real Passing Yards per Attempt. Which basically factors in all dropbacks, so sacks are taken into account.

We're #2 in Defensive Real Quarterback Rating, which is an adjusted version of QBRating that factors in rushing attempts, sacks and fumbles by QBs, as well as everything else normally associated with QBRating.

We're #2 in Defensive Hog Index, a metric that attempts to measure the effectiveness of defensive fronts, and factors in various things like 3rd down conversion %, yards per pass attempt, yards per rush attempt, and percentage of pass plays that result in negative yards.

It's only week 2, but this is all very encouraging. I'll be keeping an eye on these stats as the season progresses.
Our ST is 30th in DVOA, FWIW.
Old 09-19-2012   #11
SrslySirius
Veteran

Rep Power: 1371 SrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Meh!! It's Peyton week!! He's owned us to the tune of 16-2 IIRC...

That said, he's never faced "this" defense. Like Cush once said on "Mic'd Up" (that PapaL just got around to seeing from 2011 - really Papalakos???), "I like my odds!"
That video was on the front page of Reddit yesterday and got a ton of attention. Pretty cool because not much NFL content gets voted to the top there.
SrslySirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012   #12
Txn_in_FL
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 33753 Txn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
DUDE!!! It took someone this long to post this???? That said, we'll have a challenge v. Peyton and the Broncos this weekend irrespective of what the Broncos did last night.
He's doing better than I thought he would but has anyone really knocked him around yet? I'm still waiting to see what happens when a defense puts some hits on him.
Old 09-20-2012   #13
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_Oki View Post
He's doing better than I thought he would but has anyone really knocked him around yet? I'm still waiting to see what happens when a defense puts some hits on him.
Steelers and Falcons. I really don't think much of the Falcons defense but he's taken some licks.
Old 09-20-2012   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Steelers and Falcons. I really don't think much of the Falcons defense but he's taken some licks.
Mike Nolan has done a tremendous job over there on defense (Falcons). They just lost CB Brent Grimes (their best cb) but moved Asante Samuel up from the nick. They look fast and active.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012   #15
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Mike Nolan has done a tremendous job over there on defense (Falcons). They just lost CB Brent Grimes (their best cb) but moved Asante Samuel up from the nick. They look fast and active.
I have to agree .... they were all over the field in that first half (I fell asleep at halftime).

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012   #16
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Mike Nolan is a decent DC, but out of Samuels and Abraham (And Grimes when healthy) that roster is hella bad. This is why the get run out of their own building in the playoffs when facing decent offensive teams. Those 3 picks were more on Manning than it was the Falcons being some defensive powerhouse.

Manning has had games where he's thrown a boatload of picks, and he's even had stretches in the regular season where's he done the same in multiple games played close together. I'm not jumping on the bandwagon that this injury has crippled his ability to throw the ball, but I don't think he's really looked like Peyton of even 2010 this season, much less any other Manning year. We are catching him at a good time when he's still probably trying to get used to his pass catching options and his offensive linemen. The Texans could easily replicate what the Falcons did if Manning makes really bad decisions like he did on Monday night.
Old 10-02-2012   #17
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Back to #1!

Total Defense:

1. Houston Texans 273.0
2. Seattle Seahawks 275.8
3. San Francisco 49ers 277.2
4. Dallas Cowboys 277.5
5. Pittsburgh Steelers 291.3

Scoring Defense

1. Houston Texans 14
2. Seattle Seahawks 14.5
3. Arizona Cardinals 15.2
4 . San Francisco 49ers 16.2
5. Chicago Bears 17
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read