Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Are we overusing Foster?
Yes 47 37.01%
No 80 62.99%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2012   #41
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are we overusing Foster?

With Tate spelling him at least 10-15 reps a game, i say no. you know how it is with rbs..once they hit 30, it's pretty much over. He just signed a new deal & we should get all we can out of him before he does hit the big 3-0.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #42
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 349460 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
With Tate spelling him at least 10-15 reps a game, i say no. you know how it is with rbs..once they hit 30, it's pretty much over. He just signed a new deal & we should get all we can out of him before he does hit the big 3-0.
But that's just it. It's not just about age, it's also about carries. Over the past decade or so, some (not all) running backs that have over about 375 carries in a season have problems the next season and some are finished.

In 2005, it was Shaun Alexander. Chris Johnson only got up to 358 carries in 2009, but his average has been steadily dropping since then. Larry Johnson got 416 carries in 2006, and he was broken down by the time they met the Colts in the playoffs -- a team he should have run over but he was out of gas. Edgerrin James got 387 carries in 2000 and broke the next year. He did come back. Terrell Davis got 392 carries in 1998 and that was pretty much the end of his career. Jamaal Anderson got 410 carries in 1998 and that was it for him.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #43
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 170382 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Its PapaL .... We all know he's crazy.

Touché!
Must spread rep blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #44
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Number of carries will take care of itself. I am just grateful we have the two best running backs in the NFL. Enjoy it while it lasts.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012   #45
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I think so but I saw a graphic, I think it was like "Keys to the game" or something that said the Texans want to get 30 run plays in. If it's Foster 20, Tate 10, scraps to Forsett, I'm all about it. Foster getting 30 carries a game? Probably means we're torching a defense and winning handily, so in this instance I'd like to see Tate and Forsett picking up more slack than that. Arian is a horse and can handle 30 reps but there's no reason to make him do that in a blowout (or to expect he'll be running 30 more carries next weekend).

I'm kind of in the middle.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012   #46
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 12424 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Outsiders: 2012
A running back with 370 or more carries during the regular season will usually suffer either a major injury or a loss of effectiveness the following year, unless he is named Eric Dickerson. ... On average, running backs with 300 to 369 carries and no postseason appearance will see their total rushing yardage decline by 15 percent the following year and their yards per carry decline by two percent. The average running back with 370 or more regular-season carries, or 390 including the postseason, will see their rushing yardage decline by 35 percent, and their yards per carry decline by eight percent.
That being said, I think it's more a circumstance of the first two weeks and if we continue to have such run heavy performances, he won't be playing much at all at the end of the year.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012   #47
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 718 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't think Foster is overused but I would like to see Tate get a few more carries.
this. i would like to see tate more on 3rd downs.
Old 09-29-2012   #48
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Alan Burge brings up the question once again.

Texans need to watch Foster's workload
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #49
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Was looking for my original post in this thread, but apparently I didn't post. I believe I did vote no, but I have to change my opinion at this point. Obviously, he is going week to week without showing that it's hurting him any, but I see what this does to RBs over the course of a year. Foster does a great job of avoiding tough hits, but I don't want to wear him out just hoping that that will save him. We get into the postseason and then we do whatever it takes to win. I don't care, hand him the ball 55 times in a game (I know that's very unlikely)--whatever works, if it's necessary--but that's in the playoffs.

Interesting to know, from the link the Doc posted, that Earl Campbell never reached 400 carries...

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #50
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Was looking for my original post in this thread, but apparently I didn't post. I believe I did vote no, but I have to change my opinion at this point. Obviously, he is going week to week without showing that it's hurting him any, but I see what this does to RBs over the course of a year. Foster does a great job of avoiding tough hits, but I don't want to wear him out just hoping that that will save him. We get into the postseason and then we do whatever it takes to win. I don't care, hand him the ball 55 times in a game (I know that's very unlikely)--whatever works, if it's necessary--but that's in the playoffs.

Interesting to know, from the link the Doc posted, that Earl Campbell never reached 400 carries...
True but you know it was because of their totally different running styles. Earl the Road Grader as opposed to Arian the Glide -N- Slide guy. Like you said, no one ever seems to get a clean shot at him. He's just there and gone.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #51
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is what happens when you get big leads, you run the ball. It really sucks that we're winning so much, it's really tearing me up.

Is this me?
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #52
Lucky

Rep Power: 212249 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Foster is averaging 29 touches per game. That's OK for a 3 game stretch. Not OK over the course of the season. Tate needs to get more carries.
Old 09-29-2012   #53
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Foster is averaging 29 touches per game. That's OK for a 3 game stretch. Not OK over the course of the season. Tate needs to get more carries.
Especially since Foster is already having problems with knee swelling.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012   #54
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 349460 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd like Forsett to see the ball a few times, too.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #55
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 59860 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
1st of all, we've only played chumps, so Foster's carries (extrapolating them forward) are out of kilter. We won't be ahead by 20 points and playing the Beevis and Butthead of quarterbacks going forward (anyone else notice that Gabbert kinda looks like a cross between Butthead and Kirk Douglas?). Answering the thread question directly is simple....yesterday told me that we will be using Tate plenty. I thought he (Kubiak) rotated him in early and often.
But see, "early and often" is what I believe to be the problem. Tate doesn't need those carries early in the game - or through three quarters. You don't maximize Foster's carries that way and he doesn't get into the proper rhythm...thus his yards per carry (his effectiveness) is down - even going up against "chumps."

Now, against Denver, the Texans set up the run with the pass, which I advocated going into the game, since everyone's going to key on Foster. It worked well for them
That being the case - and if they keep that trend - then Foster's carries for the rest of the season should look like they did in Denver. The difference is, Tate shouldn't really come in unless Foster is gassed from a big run. Otherwise, let's see more of Tate primarily as the guy who runs out the clock in the 4th quarter, maximizing his particular skill set as the guy who picks up those tough yards that helps win games.

There is no reason Foster should be getting chipped hard for those 2 and 3 yards a carry with 8 men in the box to close out the game. Those too many carries for Foster come way at the end of the game where he has no room to glide
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #56
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know that we're overusing Foster so much as we are under utilizing Tate. The NFL season is a long one and I'd really like to have Foster rested and ready by the time the playoffs come around. I'd also like for the Texans to be showcasing Tate for a possible trade at the end of the season. Tate is a weapon that we need to use.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #57
Lucky

Rep Power: 212249 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Tate is a weapon that we need to use.
That fumble against the Broncos didn't help. But, I just don't understand Kubiak's kneejerk reaction of burying a guy on the bench after a fumble. It's not like Tate wouldn't be more cognizant about ball security after the fumble. How often do runners fumble twice in a game? Tate has to be sent out regardless. Because if your plan is to run the ball 35-40 carries/game (which is great), you've got to spread the touches around.
Old 09-30-2012   #58
A time to chill
Rookie

Rep Power: 877 A time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That fumble against the Broncos didn't help. But, I just don't understand Kubiak's kneejerk reaction of burying a guy on the bench after a fumble. It's not like Tate wouldn't be more cognizant about ball security after the fumble. How often do runners fumble twice in a game? Tate has to be sent out regardless. Because if your plan is to run the ball 35-40 carries/game (which is great), you've got to spread the touches around.
I don't disagree with Kubiak benching Tate after that fumble. He's sending a message that turnovers will not be tolerated.

Today I expect both Tate and Foster to have a monster game against the Titan's weak run defense, so much so that I'm starting Tate as a flex option in my fantasy league. I think the Texans are going to do to the Titans what they did against the Jaguars...drain clock on offense through the run game. I don't think there will be any long bombs from Schaub to Johnson this week.
A time to chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #59
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's not just about that game.

Tate has not been the most secure ball carrier and if he's going to get late carries in a game he needs to have it ingrained in his head that ball security is the most important thing.

If we're in a one score game in the play offs ( or superbowl) and Tate fumbles, that could cost us the game.

If you throw Tate back in there he's not fully feeling the magnitude if his mistake. If he knows that if he fumbles and will be put back in
regardless he's not as dialed in to ball protection.

With him sitting on that sideline afterward and seeing Denver make that comeback I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing any late game fumbles from him for a while unless a defender just makes a phenomenal play.

I can almost guarantee kubiak and/or Harris went to tate after the game and explained that they will need him for the rest of the season but fumbling the ball like that just won't be tolerated.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #60
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I would love to see Tate get more carries. I think Tate needs to figure out how to protect the ball down the stretch and the only way to do that is get him more reps, but punish him if starts fumbling. I think the answer is sit him and bring in Forsett in. All our RBs need reps in this system, and in games where we have a big lead, let the other RBs get reps. It's a long season, and we need everyone healthy.
hradhak is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read