Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-18-2012   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Why the Texans were unable to go deep on Jax

https://twitter.com/AlanBurge/status...070848/photo/1

This shot is indicative of why the Texans were unable to go deep on Jax but why they had success w/run & short stuff

[IMG][/IMG]

Alan Burge ‏@AlanBurge
Deep safeties, soft corner coverage and the mike dropping into mid-zones. Of course the Texans had 5 guys in the pattern on this one...
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why the Texans were unable to go deep on Jax

Looks like Texans defense before new DBs coach.
Old 09-18-2012   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Nothing wrong with 8 yard pass completions on every play.

1st & 10, 2nd and 2, 1st & 10, 2nd and 2, 1st and 10, 2nd & 2.....TD.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #4
DRP
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 DRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respectedDRP is a quality contributor and well respected

Take what the defense gives you...
DRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #5
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Nothing wrong with 8 yard pass completions on every play.

1st & 10, 2nd and 2, 1st & 10, 2nd and 2, 1st and 10, 2nd & 2.....TD.

What he said.
Titans Sux 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #6
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

We didn't go deep down the field but we went deep in that....hey look something shiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #7
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Why the Texans were unable to go deep on Jax

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRP View Post
Take what the defense gives you...
Exactly. They took away Dre and the deep ball and gave us dinking, dunking and running all day.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.

Last edited by Yankee_In_TX; 09-19-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-18-2012   #8
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

you also dont show your hand if you dont have to. kubiak is a very long term thinker, sometimes a positive and sometimes to his detriment. i believe that he wanted to iron a few things out, and give future opponents nothing to work with. with the game in the bag shortly after his script ended, kubes went into practice mode - working on the team and getting ready for next week. heck that might have been his plan from the beginning with the onslaught of screens and play action - backing the jags up into coverage so we could just grind this one out.
Old 09-18-2012   #9
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83762 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
We didn't go deep down the field but we went deep in that....hey look something shiny.
Diggin for corn huh?
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #10
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83762 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
you also dont show your hand if you dont have to. kubiak is a very long term thinker, sometimes a positive and sometimes to his detriment. i believe that he wanted to iron a few things out, and give future opponents nothing to work with. with the game in the bag shortly after his script ended, kubes went into practice mode - working on the team and getting ready for next week. heck that might have been his plan from the beginning with the onslaught of screens and play action - backing the jags up into coverage so we could just grind this one out.
Exactly.. I like the way the schedule set up this year. It was like a schedule that a major Div 1 program would set up. Play a couple of directional/state schools to knock off the rust and then start playing against conference/BCS talent. We're done with the warmups (Miami and Jags) now I think we're about to open it up and see more wrinkles.. on defense also where we've been mainly rushing teams with a four man front.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #11
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've had a similar feeling about Wade and the defense this year.
I'm convinced he has called mainly base defense in the first two games because he knows he doesn't need to do anything exotic to win. I don't think we've blitzed at nearly the same rate as last year.
I fully expect to see him to show some new wrinkles this week vs Peyton.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #12
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I've had a similar feeling about Wade and the defense this year.
I'm convinced he has called mainly base defense in the first two games because he knows he doesn't need to do anything exotic to win. I don't think we've blitzed at nearly the same rate as last year.
I fully expect to see him to show some new wrinkles this week vs Peyton.
i think you're right, especially in regards to blitzing. not that we generally blitz a ton, wade loves his 5 down mixed man to man with 1 optional, but our OLB's have been in coverage quite a bit and we're not sending our ILB's as much as i thought we would. we've seen a couple safety blitzes, but again, not as often as i expected.
Old 09-19-2012   #13
kwayshauntay
Veteran

Rep Power: 832 kwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respected

so wait...this actually happens in real live non-preseason nfl games that actually count? coaches look ahead? coaches hold back, and then hope they can flip the switch later on, when they need it?

i thought it was tunnel vision, win the game in front of you at all costs by any means necessary, take nothing for granted, and make it a habit of playing full speed, so that you don't have to hope that you can flip the switch later on should things get desperate. is this not the case?
kwayshauntay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #14
Scooter
Funky

edit.

Last edited by Scooter; 09-19-2012 at 04:03 AM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #15
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwayshauntay View Post
so wait...this actually happens in real live non-preseason nfl games that actually count? coaches look ahead? coaches hold back, and then hope they can flip the switch later on, when they need it?

i thought it was tunnel vision, win the game in front of you at all costs by any means necessary, take nothing for granted, and make it a habit of playing full speed, so that you don't have to hope that you can flip the switch later on should things get desperate. is this not the case?
Yeah you just put it on cruise control and go into "practice" mode.

You've never heard the phrase " Play like you practice"????

I've had wrong this whole time!
Old 09-19-2012   #16
Scooter
Funky

funny. yall make it sound as if i said to go home at halftime. does cushing play harder when he blitzes than when he's in coverage? does schaub start throwing underhanded because we're not using more creative route combinations? no, the players are still out there for 60 minutes, there's nothing for the coach to ramp up. instead of using a stunt with cushing and barwin when we dont need it, save it. same with route and blocking combos when the basics are getting the job done. we're in the same packages, there's no intensity change from the playcalling, only aggression and risk/reward.

the point was that kubiak likes to use one game to set up another. same as a run will set up play action later. we used screen and play fakes early to back the jags up and then proceeded to rush for 200+ yards and throw short passes to continue drives. since we struggled running against the dolphins, rushing was obviously an area kubiak wanted to set up early and work on whenever possible. now, if you're denver, do you not cheat up and send run blitzes early based on the routes and playcalling you've been studying all week? what about the offensive linemen, how do they prepare for blitz packages and disguises we didnt use?
Old 09-19-2012   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwayshauntay View Post

I think people often get confused about all these sayings and things that are out there and they forget context.

Most of those great sayings about not looking ahead and about taking one game at a time, those are sayings for the players and about how they have to play. They have to go out every game and leave it on the field. They can't be worried about who's coming up or what happened a few weeks ago.

Fans say that to other fans. "Don't look ahead!" like fans are players. We're not players. We CAN look ahead. We can look at the schedule and count games as won or lost before we've played them because... we don't matter. What we think about the games doesn't have any effect or power over anything.

But the coaches? The coaches' goal is to get into the playoffs. They have to think both from a strategic and from a tactical viewpoint. They have to have long-term goals and short-term goals. They know that if they show tendencies, other teams are going to pick up on them. They know if they show a particular play, it's going to be on film and studied.

And so coaches play a game above the game. They're trying to get guys to prepare for stuff and then do something different. Wade's not showing all of his blitzes at this point. Kubes isn't showing all of his passes.

A great example was last year against the Buccs. We're coming off a game where we rushed for 260 yards and only threw for 119 and crushed the Browns. So what do the Buccs do? They prepare for the rush. They're jabbering all week about how we're not going to run on them and how they have to stop the rush. And what do we do? Opening play, bootleg, 80-yd TD to Jacoby Jones.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Lots of coaches in NFL history have played their cards close to their chest and kept certain plays out of rotation until later in the season.

I rember seeing Bill Belichick talk about Bill Walsh and Tom Landry planning things like this, which he does, as well.

It's a simple concept. Don't show more than you need to show. If you don't need to reveal plays to beat lesser opponents that you are dominating, why do it? It's a tactical advantage to always keep something up your sleeve.
Old 09-19-2012   #19
DavisAg
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 DavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respected

The play calling on both sides of the ball have been very vanilla, which is a good thing considering we stomped our first two opponents. We get two warm up games to shake the rust off and work out the kinks before the "real" games.

I think this defense is licking its chops after watching Denver on Monday night. That being said, Peyton Manning is still Peyton Manning. I'm just looking forward to seeing more of the exotic packages Wade will unveil this weekend. If Atlanta had success getting into the backfield, we should have no trouble doing so.
DavisAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #20
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Quote:
funny. yall make it sound as if i said to go home at halftime. does cushing play harder when he blitzes than when he's in coverage? does schaub start throwing underhanded because we're not using more creative route combinations? no, the players are still out there for 60 minutes, there's nothing for the coach to ramp up. instead of using a stunt with cushing and barwin when we dont need it, save it. same with route and blocking combos when the basics are getting the job done. we're in the same packages, there's no intensity change from the playcalling, only aggression and risk/reward.

the point was that kubiak likes to use one game to set up another. same as a run will set up play action later. we used screen and play fakes early to back the jags up and then proceeded to rush for 200+ yards and throw short passes to continue drives. since we struggled running against the dolphins, rushing was obviously an area kubiak wanted to set up early and work on whenever possible. now, if you're denver, do you not cheat up and send run blitzes early based on the routes and playcalling you've been studying all week? what about the offensive linemen, how do they prepare for blitz packages and disguises we didnt use?
I just think you are over thinking it.
DRP wrapped it up in one sentence. Take what the defense is giving you.
Plain and simple.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read