Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-14-2012   #61
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 35346 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Texans a run-first team, I think not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
We are a WCO team (which is typically described as a passing offense). We try to make things look the same and then call plays as necessary to the down and distance and game situation. To me that is the definition of trying to build a balanced offense...
To expand on this, here is a snipet from a WCO playbook.

Quote:
Our offense is a system, with the running game and passing game complimenting each other. We will run and pass from all personnel groupings and formations. Runs will set up passes, and passes will set up runs. It is an entire system, and entire offensive philosophy, not just a running or passing philosophy.
Old 07-15-2012   #62
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejastom View Post
to expand on this, here is a snipet from a wco playbook.
Quote:
our offense is a system, with the running game and passing game complimenting each other. We will run and pass from all personnel groupings and formations. Runs will set up passes, and passes will set up runs. It is an entire system, and entire offensive philosophy, not just a running or passing philosophy.
msr
Old 07-15-2012   #63
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
To expand on this, here is a snipet from a WCO playbook.
Quote:
Our offense is a system, with the running game and passing game complimenting each other. We will run and pass from all personnel groupings and formations. Runs will set up passes, and passes will set up runs. It is an entire system, and entire offensive philosophy, not just a running or passing philosophy.

/thread

ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #64
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
msr
I got him.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012   #65
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Quote:

/thread

I'll shake hands on that.

But the run game is the dominant factor. The forward pass was not implemented until well into the life of football.

Running the ball is the central component to football and always will be. Passing the ball is an enhancement.

There's a reason why indoor leagues, pass happy leagues, do not have the fan following that NFL does. The reason is the run game.
Old 07-15-2012   #66
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I'll shake hands on that.

But the run game is the dominant factor. The forward pass was not implemented until well into the life of football.

Running the ball is the central component to football and always will be. Passing the ball is an enhancement.

There's a reason why indoor leagues, pass happy leagues, do not have the fan following that NFL does. The reason is the run game.
You're a bit off if you think that's how football currently is. More and more teams are passing teams (Almost exclusively now), and teams that run the ball, while good, are always a step short.

That last paragraph is just an off the cuff remark that really has no data backing that up, and therefore, shouldn't be taken seriously in any way shape or form.
Old 07-15-2012   #67
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
You're a bit off if you think that's how football currently is. More and more teams are passing teams (Almost exclusively now), and teams that run the ball, while good, are always a step short.

That last paragraph is just an off the cuff remark that really has no data backing that up, and therefore, shouldn't be taken seriously in any way shape or form.
The essence of football has always been what you do with the ball.

To this end, there is nothing as exciting and amazing as a run play that features two forces (o-line and d-line) crashing into one another and the chance of a RB escaping out of the mayhem by breaking tackles and making moves to evade tacklers.

Conversely, there is nothing as exciting as a d-line and LB crew obliterating a run play on 3rd and short or on the goal line.

There's a reason 90% of the 22 players on the field are concentrated in one area near the center...because that's the front lines of warfare. The trenches.

The pass is also a crucial aspect, and "yes" there can be exciting pass plays and iconic moments in it as well.

I just think the game of football, even when we look at rugby, it's about running the ball and stopping the runner. In its purest form, IMO.

Just my little opinion, that's all.
Old 09-19-2012   #68
kwayshauntay
Veteran

Rep Power: 832 kwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respected

So let's settle this once and for all. Are we a run-first team or not?
kwayshauntay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #69
kwayshauntay
Veteran

Rep Power: 832 kwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
In today's NFL we are considered a running team.

The end.

Overall, we are balanced. But comparatively speaking we like to run the ball a lot.

Not really sure why folks can't admit that.

Oh wait, yeah I do...
I can think of some, but just curious what you think those reason are. Let's hear 'em!
Old 09-19-2012   #70
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwayshauntay View Post
I can think of some, but just curious what you think those reason are. Let's hear 'em!
I'll post this hear again so your brain can absorb it.

1st half stats this year

Schaub: 43 pass attempts (This doesn't include any sacks which would be 2 more attempts)
Foster/Tate: 32 combined carries

I would say a 43 to 32 ratio doesn't indicate that we're a "running" or run first team.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #71
kwayshauntay
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I'll post this hear again so your brain can absorb it.

1st half stats this year

Schaub: 43 pass attempts (This doesn't include any sacks which would be 2 more attempts)
Foster/Tate: 32 combined carries

I would say a 43 to 32 ratio doesn't indicate that we're a "running" or run first team.
Compare that to the rest of the league and let's talk. I'm not saying I know the answer to that, I really want to know. How does the rest of the league stack up when you apply the same rationalizations to them that you are applying to the Texans?
Old 09-19-2012   #72
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Compare that to the rest of the league and let's talk. I'm not saying I know the answer to that, I really want to know. How does the rest of the league stack up when you apply the same rationalizations to them that you are applying to the Texans?
Posting from my phone I'm not going to look at that right now, but you said we're a ground and pound team and now you want comparisons. I showed you that we're not some old school, throw back team.

Edit: Since we were comparing the 49ers to us I'll give you that one. 31 pass attempts to 26 rushing attempts.

49ers 1st half running percentage: 45.6%
Texans 1st half running percentage: 42.6%

Lookie there...... Just looked up one team and another team is already more run heavy than us when they're trying to establish their identity. You can look up the rest of the teams if you'd like. I rest my case.
Old 09-19-2012   #73
kwayshauntay
Veteran

Quote:
Posting from my phone I'm not going to look at that right now, but you said we're a ground and pound team and now you want comparisons. I showed you that we're not some old school, throw back team.
Here's what I said:

Quote:
we are now the most old-school, throwback, smash-mouth team in the league.
We ran the ball more than anyone else in the league. This is a fact. If you rationalize it like you've been doing, well you can apply those same rationalizations to the other 31 teams in the league, and the end result would be this: we ran the ball more than anyone else in the league.
Old 09-19-2012   #74
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Here's what I said:

We ran the ball more than anyone else in the league. This is a fact. If you rationalize it like you've been doing, well you can apply those same rationalizations to the other 31 teams in the league, and the end result would be this: we ran the ball more than anyone else in the league.
Old 09-19-2012   #75
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 94442 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

The beauty of this team is that our defense is keeping the other team out of it and allowing our offense to sit on a lead and run the ball and we are capable of actually running the ball.

Does it really matter if we run to set up the pass or pass to set up the run?

Just Win baby!
Old 09-19-2012   #76
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Lookie there...... Just looked up one team and another team is already more run heavy than us when they're trying to establish their identity. You can look up the rest of the teams if you'd like. I rest my case.

Just curious, but would you call the 49'ers a running team or passing team?

The 49'ers run the ball 3 whole percent more than we do and they still run it less than they pass. Are they a passing team in your opinion?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #77
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

The numbers are skewed at this point in the season. We have two blow out wins and accordingly have the most rushes in the NFL by a pretty big margin.

IMO, by today's NFL standards we are considered a running team. In a vacuum I'd say we are balanced leaning a little more towards the pass, but we don't live in a vacuum.

If we had this same ratio of run to pass 40 years ago we'd definitely be considered a passing team. But in a league where you have so many teams throwing so often, we are one of the teams in the NFL that stays committed to the run.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #78
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Just curious, but would you call the 49'ers a running team or passing team?
I would say they're balanced. In the past they were much more reliant on Frank Gore, but they have shown a lot more confidence in Alex Smith. The reason people are so much higher on the 49ers this year is because they're more balanced than they have been in the past.
Old 09-19-2012   #79
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The numbers are skewed at this point in the season. We have two blow out wins and accordingly have the most rushes in the NFL by a pretty big margin.

IMO, by today's NFL standards we are considered a running team. In a vacuum I'd say we are balanced leaning a little more towards the pass, but we don't live in a vacuum.

If we had this same ratio of run to pass 40 years ago we'd definitely be considered a passing team. But in a league where you have so many teams throwing so often, we are one of the teams in the NFL that stays committed to the run.
This was my point to him that carried on from the Power Rankings thread. I'm showing him exactly why our overall numbers this year don't reflect how balanced we really are. Schaub has 5 pass attempts in the 4th qtr this year. He'll probably equal or exceed that on Sunday. The numbers are going to be skewed when you're playing with leads and have 2 good backs. There is no reason to pass the ball all the time as opposed to a team like Green Bay that doesn't have a consistent running game.

My point to him was all of the numbers last year were a reflection of a lot of things. Not taking all of those things into account is foolish to me. To me they are numbers that fantasy geeks will point to and say "look, we ran the ball a lot". But are you really understanding why we did? I know you do, but not everyone does.

Last edited by Texn4life; 09-19-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-19-2012   #80
kwayshauntay
Veteran

Quote:

Edit: Since we were comparing the 49ers to us I'll give you that one. 31 pass attempts to 26 rushing attempts.

Your numbers are off. Including sacks (Smith has been sacked two times total in 1st halves), the 49ers have had 37 1st half pass attempts so far this season. Care to recalculate?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read