Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 09-01-2012   #41
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BADBOY's 2013 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Quin is probably going to walk after this yr. I wouldn't blame him.

Vicarro (sp?) from Texas would be a good 2-3rd rd pick. Eric Reid, Ray Ray Armstrong and Baccari Rambo are guys with different kinds of issues but all are very talented and could step in and play right away.
Doubt Quin would walk away from the organization that believed & developed him. Also he has not distinguished himself as a playmaker that would garner big free agent bucks. He will remain under the radar & core defensive back for Texans, barring injury at least the next five years. So I doubt safety is that big of need to project high in any Texan mock draft this point in time.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012   #42
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quin is probably going to walk after this yr. I wouldn't blame him.

Vicarro (sp?) from Texas would be a good 2-3rd rd pick. Eric Reid, Ray Ray Armstrong and Baccari Rambo are guys with different kinds of issues but all are very talented and could step in and play right away.
I don't know anything about the other guys but I don't want Armstrong. He's a Safety in the mold of Pollard (hitter) and honestly needs to make up his mind if he's a Safety or LB. I think he needs to add a few lbs. and make the switch to LB.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012   #43
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been working on new adjustments to '13 mock. Hope to post in next few days after Jacksonville game. My concerns remain right side of O line, Nose and OLB if Barwin leaves. I think OGs should be deep if the underclassmen come out. Probably will leave QB off as Matt re-signed. I want to focus Sunday on Bradie James. Feel better if he stepped it up a mite.
Old 09-16-2012   #44
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I've been working on new adjustments to '13 mock. Hope to post in next few days after Jacksonville game. My concerns remain right side of O line, Nose and OLB if Barwin leaves. I think OGs should be deep if the underclassmen come out. Probably will leave QB off as Matt re-signed. I want to focus Sunday on Bradie James. Feel better if he stepped it up a mite.
I've also been working on a new mock with emphasis on NT, and O-line. I thought about posting but think I'll wait a couple games, we'll see. Now that we've re-signed Schaub we need to put some major emphasis on keeping him safe by improving the quality and depth of the O-line. I still think the other ILB spot opposite Cushing is a low priority spot since it's only a 2 down position. Also if we get better at NT it lessens the need at ILB.
Old 09-16-2012   #45
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

It's early but here's the players like alot for the Texans.

Rd.1 Barrett Jones OL-Ala
Rd.2 Christian Fauria TE-UCLA
Rd.3 Jesse Williams NT- Ala
Rd.3 Kenny Viccaro S- UT
Rd.4 Desmond Trufant CB-Wash.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012   #46
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Ok SB made me do it. No explanations though, it's 4am and I'm tired.

1. Kawaan Short-DT
2. Rick Wagner-OT
3. Micah Hyde-CB
3b. Quinton Patton-WR
4. Gabe Jackson-OG
5. Jonathan Bostic-ILB
5b. Blaze Foltz-OG
6. Rashard Hall-FS
7. Devin Street-WR
Old 09-16-2012   #47
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I've also been working on a new mock with emphasis on NT, and O-line. I thought about posting but think I'll wait a couple games, we'll see. Now that we've re-signed Schaub we need to put some major emphasis on keeping him safe by improving the quality and depth of the O-line. I still think the other ILB spot opposite Cushing is a low priority spot since it's only a 2 down position. Also if we get better at NT it lessens the need at ILB.
Good post & I agree on all points. I am looking at ILB but later round. Regardless of how well Cody does, I just don't see him back next year & I still have ? on his play.
Old 09-16-2012   #48
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
It's early but here's the players like alot for the Texans.

Rd.1 Barrett Jones OL-Ala
Rd.2 Christian Fauria TE-UCLA
Rd.3 Jesse Williams NT- Ala
Rd.3 Kenny Viccaro S- UT
Rd.4 Desmond Trufant CB-Wash.
I've followed Jones for two years and he will be great & can play any Oline spot. My problem is I really like Matthews and identify with him thru his dad. He is the perfect RT for ZBS with great feet and laterals, very quick despite his size. Same can be said for Jones & I'll be happy with either. Hopefully Newton and Caldwell will continue to improve this season and whomever we draft will be a back up allowing time to develop.

Would you draft a straight RT like Matthews who should be able to play OG or him and an OG? I have one of each so far. BTW, I like your mock.
Old 09-16-2012   #49
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:

1. Kawaan Short-DT
2. Rick Wagner-OT
3. Micah Hyde-CB
3b. Quinton Patton-WR
4. Gabe Jackson-OG
5. Jonathan Bostic-ILB
5b. Blaze Foltz-OG
6. Rashard Hall-FS
7. Devin Street-WR
Great lower round guys. I have Folltz also but in 6th IIRC. Hall, Street, Jackson and Bostic are all on my "watch" list. I am not much of a Short fan and Wagner's evals have him slow to pick up speed rushers and slide to right. I keep seeing Eric Winston who is good but not what I want if I'm building my line.
Old 09-17-2012   #50
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Quote:

1. Kawaan Short-DT
2. Rick Wagner-OT
3. Micah Hyde-CB
3b. Quinton Patton-WR
4. Gabe Jackson-OG
5. Jonathan Bostic-ILB
5b. Blaze Foltz-OG
6. Rashard Hall-FS
7. Devin Street-WR

Ok, some short explanations now.

1. Short, great size and quickness for what Wade looks for in a 1 gap NT and should work well in rotation with Mitchell and lessen the need for an ILB. I originally wanted a WR in the 1st but I think the value is better at DT, several good ones to choose from at the end of the round.
2. Wagner, great size, great O-line school, needs to add a little quickness but a potential stud at RT. Competes for the starting position with Newton right away.
3. Hyde, great size and good speed. We'll probably lose McCain to FA so we'll need some new depth. He's better at zone than man coverage but should get a year as depth to learn and get better.
3b. Patton, I like this guy he's got decent size and quickness, not afraid to go over the middle, and plays with some power also catches with his hands, not his body. Like Hyde should get a year to improve as depth on the roster. Good college productivity and has been moving up the boards.
4. Jackson, this might take a little luck. He's got really good potential and may stay in school another year. Very good OG in the toughest conference around. Replaces W. Smith in 2014.
5. Bostic, another guy with good size for the position and good college productivity. I originally had Taylor here but he could move much higher if he proves his injured foot is better. With a better NT the need at ILB is lessened and it's only a 2 down position.
5b. Foltz, added depth at OG with great strength and several years of starting experience on a good TCU O-line.
6. Hall, inconsistent player but hopefully some new coaching and teammates can bring the best out in him. Added competition at Safety. Still can't believe we kept Keo. I originally wanted Prentiss Waggner here but he's probably going several rounds higher.
7. Street, great size and decent productivity. A new offensive scheme should help him and he'll be added depth/competition at a position of weakness for us.

I also sign Taimi Tutogi-FB and possibly Zach Boren-FB as UDFA if they don't get drafted.
Old 09-17-2012   #51
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Not real hot on going Short in 1st, maybe 2nd? However Wagner would be worth a 1st.

Not worried about losing McCain, think he stays, if not still have Harris.

Ben Jones just stepped up to fill the gap @ RG. Not sure on Brooks status, but obviously there is some depth here, more depth maybe, but this high again?

late 5th on ILB?

Keo lacks speed I understand that it has been exposed but he is a hard worker & coaches like him, if he doesn't figure out quicker reads to gain position on the field when used he could be off the field next season like Nolan playing for someone else.

Not sure about all these extra picks, did I miss something? WR often but need targeted earlier.

Not crazy about your hierarchy of needs but always good to discuss

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 09-17-2012   #52
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Not real hot on going Short in 1st, maybe 2nd? However Wagner would be worth a 1st.

Not worried about losing McCain, think he stays, if not still have Harris.

Ben Jones just stepped up to fill the gap @ RG. Not sure on Brooks status, but obviously there is some depth here, more depth maybe, but this high again?

late 5th on ILB?

Keo lacks speed I understand that it has been exposed but he is a hard worker & coaches like him, if he doesn't figure out quicker reads to gain position on the field when used he could be off the field next season like Nolan playing for someone else.

Not sure about all these extra picks, did I miss something? WR often but need targeted earlier.

Not crazy about your hierarchy of needs but always good to discuss
Extra 3rd and 5th while not confirmed until next year are predicted comp picks.
Old 09-17-2012   #53
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Extra 3rd and 5th while not confirmed until next year are predicted comp picks.
Mario/Winston or Jacoby?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 09-17-2012   #54
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Mario/Winston or Jacoby?
Mario in FA as JJ and Winston were let go & we are owed nothing. IIRC, Allen the CB alternating with KJ is the other worth a 5th although some have said only a 6th.
Old 09-17-2012   #55
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Mario in FA as JJ and Winston were let go & we are owed nothing. IIRC, Allen the CB alternating with KJ is the other worth a 5th although some have said only a 6th.
I was thinking Brisiel was the 5th round comp. pick.
Old 09-17-2012   #56
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I was thinking Brisiel was the 5th round comp. pick.
Yep, think you are correct. We might get a 6th for Allen.
Old 09-17-2012   #57
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've followed Jones for two years and he will be great & can play any Oline spot. My problem is I really like Matthews and identify with him thru his dad. He is the perfect RT for ZBS with great feet and laterals, very quick despite his size. Same can be said for Jones & I'll be happy with either. Hopefully Newton and Caldwell will continue to improve this season and whomever we draft will be a back up allowing time to develop.

Would you draft a straight RT like Matthews who should be able to play OG or him and an OG? I have one of each so far. BTW, I like your mock.
I would take Matthews over Jones. But he probably wont be there with the 32nd pick. Just curious do you think Joeckel will be able to play OG?

I know Rang has Joeckel rated as his #1 OT. But I think his feet are not good enough to play LT in the pros. In fact Matthews has better feet than Joeckel. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #58
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I would take Matthews over Jones. But he probably wont be there with the 32nd pick. Just curious do you think Joeckel will be able to play OG?

I know Rang has Joeckel rated as his #1 OT. But I think his feet are not good enough to play LT in the pros. In fact Matthews has better feet than Joeckel. IMHO
I'm thinking Jones goes to Dallas, Matthews & Joekel gone.
Thinking Jones and Brooks will resolve RG this season with Newton locking down RT. Interesting to see how Gardner does with a season of coaching. I'm lowering priority for RT for now. I have one early round OG with a surprise. If Matthews were avail in first I'd have to take him as perfect for ZBS & can play RG as well as RT.
Old 09-18-2012   #59
badboy
Site Contributor

First thought I'd wait until after game 3 Denver to post this but believe it should hold up unless I have evaluated the game Sunday incorrectly. As usual, I want to offer brief explanation on how I arrived at this mock. First, Kareem Jackson has responded well to coaching and if he continues, I am moving CB2 off mock (well almost as I take Hyde but want him as safety). Denver will tell us a lot but Newton looks like he will be a long time starter. Still inconclusive on Harris but 6'5 300 & will be only 28 March & I think he will agree to re-sign at reasonable money, especially if he cannot beat out Kubiak favorite Newton. As Beerlover noted http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94248
"First off Ryan Harris was a premier guard prospect coming out of Notre Dame. If healthy he could be a better option @ RT than Newton beause of his experience & ability to mirror & slide in pass pro..." My concern remains on his back recovery.

I have us picking #28 or later. Matthews, Barrett Jones gone.

1. Nose Jesse Williams 6'3" 320 Alabama. Have you watched this defense? Enough said.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...jesse-williams

I like Cody but not sure if he is in Texans future. 30 January '13. He could take a team friendy offer. I have not seen enough of Mitchell but still see him as DE. If Cody re-ups this pick probably will change. IMO, Nose is priority as of today.

2. C/RG Khalid Holmes 6'3" 305 Southern California can play all 3 interior spots. He did not start against Stanford due to ankle injury.

3A. FS/CB Micah Hyde 6'1" 190 4.43 Iowa I have watched him only with corner in mind until this season. Kid is a natural safety where his somewhat stiff hips should not hurt him. Strong and good tackler. Perfect for our D even if Quin re-signs. Good opportunity to upgrade this position.

3B (comp for Mario) OLB Dion Jordan 6'7" 243 I recently started focusing on this player. I still see Barwin gone. "To take advantage of his unique combination of burst off the snap and length, Oregon created a hybrid role for Jordan in 2011, lining him up as a stand-up pass rusher and moving him around to find favorable matchups. Demonstrating surprising fluidity for such a tall player, Jordan exploded for 13 tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks, each of which led the team, earning First Team ..." http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...35/dion-jordan Sounds like perfect fit for Phillip's 3-4.

4. WR Marcus Davis 6'4" 228 4.37 43" vert Virginia Tech. I watch the games and he seems to get little attention but his avg/catch is 20.4. An 85 yd TD in loss against Pitt. As Texans season progresses & I see more of Jean, I could remove WR from mock.

5A TE Jake Stoneburner 6'5" 245 Ohio ST has been used as TE, slot, Hback as most recently as WR. Remind you of anyone? Blocks with 100% effort but like most TEs can improve.

5B (for Briesel) ILB AJ Klein 6'1 244 Iowa St 101 tackles 60 solo 2 sacks. True MLB

6. RG Blaize Foltz 6'4" 310 TCU I just like this guy.

7. LT LaAdrian Waddle 6'6" 330 started 25 consecutive and will only be 21 at draft.

Heavy on Oline but that is where I see the greatest need & not convinced on Brooks yet.
Old 09-18-2012   #60
beerlover
Site Contributor

Like thought process here, build trenches, however Texan historically don't spend high picks on them. I'm thinking this year it's gonna be a WR in 1st unless things turnaround.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read