Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Are we overusing Foster?
Yes 47 37.01%
No 80 62.99%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2012   #21
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191640 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are we overusing Foster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Something sure does sound ludicrous.
Its PapaL .... We all know he's crazy.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #22
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15475 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly I'm starting to think Tate is just as good as Foster. I'd like to see them split carries 50/50. What Tate did on fewer carries last week IMO means he should see more carries.

I know it's not all about just running the ball though. Foster is a very good receiver, much better than Tate so that probably is why he gets more carries.

But yeah....Tate is something else. He runs with a lot more power.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #23
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

1st of all, we've only played chumps, so Foster's carries (extrapolating them forward) are out of kilter. We won't be ahead by 20 points and playing the Beevis and Butthead of quarterbacks going forward (anyone else notice that Gabbert kinda looks like a cross between Butthead and Kirk Douglas?). Answering the thread question directly is simple....yesterday told me that we will be using Tate plenty. I thought he (Kubiak) rotated him in early and often.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #24
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191640 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
Honestly I'm starting to think Tate is just as good as Foster. I'd like to see them split carries 50/50. What Tate did on fewer carries last week IMO means he should see more carries.

I know it's not all about just running the ball though. Foster is a very good receiver, much better than Tate so that probably is why he gets more carries.

But yeah....Tate is something else. He runs with a lot more power.
Thats the difference between the two - Foster is the complete package as a RB. Not only is he elite carrying the ball , he's a fantastic blocker in the passing game and .... despite a few drops during preseason and games 1-2 , he's been a very reliable reciever who can break a big one at any time.

Tate is nowhere near Foster in blitz pickups and while a decent recieving option , he's no Foster in the open field.

They are very different backs ....

Make no mistake about it , Im not knocking Tate , hell Ive said he's as good as all but the top tier in the league but Foster is the crème de la crème .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #25
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

Make no mistake about it , Im not knocking Tate , hell Ive said he's as good as all but the top tier in the league but Foster is the crème de la crème .
I agree, Foster is clearly the back I'd take if everything was equal and I had to give one up. Foster's vision and body control is elite stuff. He flows like water. Tate is electric...a great runner in his own right.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #26
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Regardless of the total number, I'd like to see Tate get more carries.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #27
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Tate's role will increase as the season goes along. If he runs like he did Sunday his play will demand that he get more carries. I also think we'll start to see Forsett in some packages sprinkled in as well. I like what he brings as a receiver out of the backfield.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #28
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dont believe there are more than 5 other backs besides Foster that would start in front ot Tate in the NFL .... Dude is a beast.

MJD
Peterson
Frank Gore
Skittles
Ray Rice

Thats all I got .... Might be a couple others but Tate belongs in the conversation with the top RB's in the league.
Turner, McFadden, Forte, Murray, Bush, McCoy, and maybe even Richardson now. Tate is great though.
GuerillaBlack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #29
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
He's on pace for 432 carries and targeted for 80 passes on the year. That's too much for any runningback, regardless of how much they are paid. 70% of the carries is a lot when you have a guy like Tate right behind him, and 5 years left on Arian's deal. I'm all for getting our use out of him during his contract, but let's get the the carries down to about 50-60%, and not put him out there when the team is up by 17 points in the 4th quarter. Same goes for Andre too. Just let Forsett and Tate pound the ball, either one of those guys are just as good at running out the clock.

What? You don't think Reggie Bush is just as talented???
And Clay Matthews is on pace for 48 sacks. What he's on pace for after 2 games is wholly irrelevant.

We haven't played a good team and have played two games with large, early leads. He's not going to be carrying it 28 times when we are playing New England and Green Bay and Detroit. He'll be carrying is 15, 17 times and his carries will level out to around 300, his career average.
Old 09-17-2012   #30
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dont believe there are more than 5 other backs besides Foster that would start in front ot Tate in the NFL .... Dude is a beast.

MJD
Peterson
Frank Gore
Skittles
Ray Rice

Thats all I got .... Might be a couple others but Tate belongs in the conversation with the top RB's in the league.
I'm not disagreeing with you or anything. Just that people don't really think that way.

I'm trying to find it but it is either nfl.com or espn.com where they had the week two position rankings. Foster's unanimously #1 of course. Tate's sitting low at 35. I found that surprising but at the same time... I like it. Keep him on the down low.

As for overusing Foster... I would hope they don't overuse Tate. Foster's built to run but Tate's the bruiser. Brusiers tend to wear out a little faster.
Old 09-17-2012   #31
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs down Re: Are we overusing Foster?

So we need to put a carry count on him and he only carries it so many times for the whole season and then shut him down for the season like the Washington Nationals have done with that pitcher they have?.....
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #32
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
And Clay Matthews is on pace for 48 sacks. What he's on pace for after 2 games is wholly irrelevant.

We haven't played a good team and have played two games with large, early leads. He's not going to be carrying it 28 times when we are playing New England and Green Bay and Detroit. He'll be carrying is 15, 17 times and his carries will level out to around 300, his career average.
Whoopty doo, why would any coach in their right mind send their #1 RB out there against a losing, frustrated, crappy team in the 4th quarter? They are looking to strip the ball, they are looking to lay out the player because that's the only way they get back in the game. It's not just a factor of the number of carries, but it's about giving him carries that matter, and not exposing him to potential injury during irrelevant garbage time. It's called "garbage time" for a good reason. Tate and Forsett are perfectly capable of carrying the ball during that time, but an injury to them doesn't impact the team anywhere near as much as Foster would.
Old 09-18-2012   #33
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 154760 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Foster is on pace right now for well over 400 carries. He's under contract for 5 seasons, we need to protect our investment. If he gets those kind of carries for the rest of the year, we may not get anywhere close to 5 good years out of him. Plus, I think Tate demands more carries because i think he's running better right now. I know Foster will get it going and i think the best way to do that is to give him less carries. I think a 20/15 split for Foster/Tate needs to happen if we want to get the most out of this running game.

I do suspect his carries will go down naturally as we will be facing better competition over the next 5-6 weeks but I think it could be a concern moving forward.
You don't buy a work truck and worry about "down the road". You hope it lasts forever but know that ain't likely. You use it until the job is done and then mop up if needed with other tools.
Old 09-18-2012   #34
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I found this cool pic of Foster on the NFL.com site, don't know where else to put it:

Old 09-18-2012   #35
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 154760 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If the strategy was to run Schaub into linebackers and tackles in an effort to use up the clock, then yes I would prefer his backup do it instead.

Schaub's a smart guy, and he has control of the ball as the QB. He takes the snap, hands off or drops back and determines where to throw. If there's nothing open he can throw it away and avoid hits, Arian can't avoid a tackle in the case of running out the clock. You're just wasting Arian by having him take garbage carries in a game that is all but over. There's a good reason why they call the end of 3 score games "garbage time," it's for backup players to get some reps and take the hits, not multi-million dollar players who have already proven themselves.
You still are using Schaub to hand off to RB to eat up game and increasing risk of injury.
Old 09-18-2012   #36
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
You still are using Schaub to hand off to RB to eat up game and increasing risk of injury.
Can you name a single QB who has been injured during a handoff play?
Old 09-18-2012   #37
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I found this cool pic of Foster on the NFL.com site, don't know where else to put it:

IIRC, that's the play where his foot slips and down he goes.
Old 09-18-2012   #38
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Foster is on pace right now for well over 400 carries. He's under contract for 5 seasons, we need to protect our investment. If he gets those kind of carries for the rest of the year, we may not get anywhere close to 5 good years out of him. Plus, I think Tate demands more carries because i think he's running better right now. I know Foster will get it going and i think the best way to do that is to give him less carries. I think a 20/15 split for Foster/Tate needs to happen if we want to get the most out of this running game.

I do suspect his carries will go down naturally as we will be facing better competition over the next 5-6 weeks but I think it could be a concern moving forward.
Let's not forget that Foster won't be playing in game 16.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #39
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Like fine tuning a race car you want to give him as much work as he can handle but he is not a machine so he should be used judiciously so he is fresh when it counts. Should save his carries for meaningful reps when game is in doubt, not to pad meaningless stat line.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #40
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Like fine tuning a race car you want to give him as much work as he can handle but he is not a machine so he should be used judiciously so he is fresh when it counts. Should save his carries for meaningful reps when game is in doubt, not to pad meaningless stat line.
Yep, as I said when job is done (game is in hand) you pull him. You have to give him some plays off to breathe or just as change of pace when Forsett comes in.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read