Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-17-2012   #21
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Right Guard: It's On

I haven't re-watched to game yet, but I will just to focus on the RG. Honestly, I didn't even notice until late 1st, early 2nd quarter. After I noticed him, my initial reaction was having a better running game with him in the game. But, I'll review the game again soon
Old 09-17-2012   #22
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw a couple plays where they put in an extra lineman .... which was Jones , Also saw at least 1 series that Jones was at RG. He looks solid , much better than Caldwell IMO.

I'd say he would take that spot from Caldwell sooner than later .... but then who's the backup at C ??

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #23
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I saw a couple plays where they put in an extra lineman .... which was Jones , Also saw at least 1 series that Jones was at RG. He looks solid , much better than Caldwell IMO.

I'd say he would take that spot from Caldwell sooner than later .... but then who's the backup at C ??
Jones.

We've had seasons where our backup at C was one of our Gs. We've had seasons were our backup at C was also our backup at G.

I think Jones is a better, scrappier, meaner player. I need to go back and watch the game and concentrate more on the guard play but from what I saw, he was our best guard. Better than Wade Smith.

At this point, I'm feeling OK about the right side of our line. Now the position that's worrying me is the LG.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #24
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I haven't re-watched to game yet, but I will just to focus on the RG. Honestly, I didn't even notice until late 1st, early 2nd quarter. After I noticed him, my initial reaction was having a better running game with him in the game. But, I'll review the game again soon
A whole lot of that improved running game was not having Randy Starks and Paul Soliai on the other team.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #25
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Jones style is more Brisiel-esque destruction in phone booth, nasty mono el mono creating cut-back lanes for running game. Caldwell is more finesse which gives some pause he is better in pass pro.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #26
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

A few years from now, don't be surprised to see Brooks starting at right guard and Jones starting at center. Of course Chris Meyers is not going anywhere anytime soon, but sooner or later, there will be a changing of the guard.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #27
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A whole lot of that improved running game was not having Randy Starks and Paul Soliai on the other team.
True, but we still seemed to be getting stuffed at the LOS more often than last season. Heck, I reckon I'm just being picky. It was a great game by everyone
Old 09-17-2012   #28
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread sponsored by

And now back to your regularly scheduled forum banter.
Old 09-17-2012   #29
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Jones played every third series.

Both had a solid games with a few hick-ups each.

For a guy that played his first game, Ben did really well.

When we drafted him, I said that I saw him as a better prospect coming out of college than Caldwell.

BJ has quicker feet and better lateral agility than Caldwell.
Caldwell is probably the stronger guy, but BJ plays more consistently in his pad level.

Jones is a perfect fit with the ZBS, whether at C or at G.

When Myers was with the Broncos, he first started at LG with Tom Nalen at Center.
When Nalen went down, Myers moved to C, and another guy took his place (I think it was Kuper - who quickly became a good ZBS lineman as well).

I see Brooks as a bigger and stronger Caldwell, but he needs to keep his weigh in check and learn to improve his techniques in the ZBS.

I was never worried about the right side of the line.

The extra O-lineman we sometimes bring in was Harris (even in the Dolphins game.)
He's a pro that suits well in that extra OT slot in our jumbo package.

(We used Butler together with D.Brown and Winston before in this package).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #30
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Harris was in (as the extra RT) on that first goal-line drive where Foster scored his first TD.
He pan-caked the OLB 57, but BJ was stood up by Mosley (who made the tackle on Tate).

On the next play, Harris went out.
BJ went to the second level and made a nice cut block to allow Foster to cut back and scored.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Wasn't Caldwell a Center at Alabama? I think most thought the writing was on the wall for Myers when we drafted AC in the third.
Old 09-17-2012   #32
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 8248 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

i thought this thread was about deodorant..
Old 09-17-2012   #33
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Wasn't Caldwell a Center at Alabama? I think most thought the writing was on the wall for Myers when we drafted AC in the third.
I know I did. I expected Caldwell to be our center by mid-year. But then in training camp, the Texans coaches were all saying that they never drafted him to be a Center but to be a Right Guard. So I figured that was it for Mike Brisiel and then iirc, Brisiel got injured and Chris White got that RG spot instead of Caldwell.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #34
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Jones played every third series.

Both had a solid games with a few hick-ups each.

For a guy that played his first game, Ben did really well.

When we drafted him, I said that I saw him as a better prospect coming out of college than Caldwell.

BJ has quicker feet and better lateral agility than Caldwell.
Caldwell is probably the stronger guy, but BJ plays more consistently in his pad level.

Jones is a perfect fit with the ZBS, whether at C or at G.

When Myers was with the Broncos, he first started at LG with Tom Nalen at Center.
When Nalen went down, Myers moved to C, and another guy took his place (I think it was Kuper - who quickly became a good ZBS lineman as well).

I see Brooks as a bigger and stronger Caldwell, but he needs to keep his weigh in check and learn to improve his techniques in the ZBS.

I was never worried about the right side of the line.

The extra O-lineman we sometimes bring in was Harris (even in the Dolphins game.)
He's a pro that suits well in that extra OT slot in our jumbo package.

(We used Butler together with D.Brown and Winston before in this package).
Even if Jones is athletic enough to play as an interior lineman in a ZBS, frankly his conditioning looks poor to me. Perhaps they can shape him up in the upcoming off season with a better diet (no more c.roaches for you big boy) and a weight program ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #35
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Just a reminder that Wade Smith was coming off wrist injury for game two. http://www.kffl.com/player/6158/nfl/wade-smith
Old 09-18-2012   #36
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom17 View Post
I thought Ben Jones played well. I really liked this pick from the get go. I like them tough & smart.
He also keeps Reliant Park very clean and safe by eating all of the roaches and insects. A total beast in every sense of the word.
Old 09-18-2012   #37
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Same here. He played multiple spots in Alabama as they needed, I believe there was a time he even started at tackle.

I thought for sure that Myers was going to get replaced because there was a time where he was getting blown into the backfield ona regular basis. I don't know if it has a bee na product of figuring out how to play at a heavier weight or getting better guard play, I suspect it's been a combo of both. Either way he's locked the C position down for some time here.

I know I liked the Jones pick from the get go and maybe with the frey going on at RG Benton and co decided to go ahead and try and see what he can do as being drafted as a combo C/G.

If he can solidify the spot as the season rolls forward it wouldn't surprise me that Caldwell is moved to backup center which is probably his more natural position anyway.

Brooks is raw and could really use this year to figure out his best playing weight in the NFL and get better technique.

My other bigger looming question is when does Wade's contract go up? This season or next?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #38
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade Smith $2m 2012 and $3m next year.
Old 09-18-2012   #39
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans should receive a number of supplemental draft picks this season, probably including a 3rd rounder from the departure of Mario Williams and maybe a couple of others. Add this to the Texans seven existing picks, and a pretty stocked roster.

The Texans will have the luxury of draft another guard pretty high up to eventually replace Wade Smith, if they want to. And they will also be able to draft another quality backup tackle as well.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012   #40
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

FYI, Brooks is now down to 320 pounds.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read