Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-17-2012   #61
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Week 3 VS Broncos. Lets Predict :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Perhaps he's just notorious in my eyes. As of the end of last season, Kubiak is 3 and 20 on the road against winning teams.
Most teams and most coaches have losing records against winning teams on the road. I haven't run a full analysis on it but I'd bet there are some teams that go winless against winning teams on the road. Those are the guys I'd consider as "notorious."

As a case study, I chose to compare Kubiak against Tom Coughlin over that same time period (looking only at the regular season.) Coughlin has had a much better record that Kubiak over that time period and has won 2 SBs so it's not exactly a "fair" comparison.

But Coughlin's road record against winning teams is only 7-13. Granted, better than Kubiak, but still a losing record.

So now the question is whether THIS team can win on the road against winning teams.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #62
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7237 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
As a case study, I chose to compare Kubiak against Tom Coughlin over that same time period (looking only at the regular season.)
Why would you count only the regular season?

The playoff games are the ones that really count and Coughlin's Giants are notorious road warriors. Coughlin's Giants exemplify like no other team that being able to win on the road leads to championships.

I started with Coughlin's 2006 season (the season Kubiak started) and didn't have to count beyond the middle of the 2008 season before I wound up with 8 wins and 3 losses against winning opponents on the road. That's when I re-read your post and realized you hadn't counted playoff wins.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #63
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why would you count only the regular season?

The playoff games are the ones that really count and Coughlin's Giants are notorious road warriors. Coughlin's Giants exemplify like no other team that being able to win on the road leads to championships.

I started with Coughlin's 2006 season (the season Kubiak started) and didn't have to count beyond the middle of the 2008 season before I wound up with 8 wins and 3 losses against winning opponents on the road. That's when I re-read your post and realized you hadn't counted playoff wins.
Playoffs are a different story and a whole different season.

Those Giant teams that have done so well backing into the playoffs and winning road games in the postseason DON'T have a winning record on the road during the regular season against winning teams.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #64
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7237 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Playoffs are a different story and a whole different season.

Those Giant teams that have done so well backing into the playoffs and winning road games in the postseason DON'T have a winning record on the road during the regular season against winning teams.
Kubiak has a losing record on the road against winning team during the regular season AND the playoffs and it ain't close.
Old 09-17-2012   #65
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13104 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Being a fan has never prevented me from seeing things as they really are.

Kubiak is notorious for having a sorry record on the road against winning teams.

The Texans have never beaten a Peyton Manning led team on the road.

If I'm going to offer a prediction I'm not going to lie for the sake of going with the rest of the group. I prefer to be honest. I'm crazy like that.

Sorry if that disrupts your delicate sensibilities.
Seeing things as they "really are" is usually seeing things in your own perspective. Just like I'm not going to argue your prediction (it could happen!), don't for a second think that we who think the Texans will win are being a) dishonest with ourselves, b) suffering from groupthink, or c) crazy.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #66
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's just Houston north.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #67
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
don't for a second think that we who think the Texans will win are being a) dishonest with ourselves, b) suffering from groupthink, or c) crazy.
Not all of you.
Old 09-17-2012   #68
Rudyball
Rookie

1) Kubiak played in Denver for years so he will know how to handle the elevation effects on the team and how to prepare them
2) Every year is different so I am looking forward to watching the denver defense tonight to see how they handle Atlanta to get a guage on them
3) Peyton is good and I think our defense can handle their offense enough to win the game
4) We are a deep team and that should put us over the top in this game
Rudyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #69
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
Your a Texan fan. This is our best team ever. We just got through playing what was one of our most dominating games in 10+ years and you predict we get killed 31 to 13 by a team we should be better than. Just seems like something we used to see Richard Justice write. I guess It could happen, not sure how someone could predict it though.
This is how a rational person could predict it...

First, ask yourself sanely, just who have we beat?
Answer: We beat two, how to say this nicely... ...I can't... we beat two chump azz teams by twenty apiece. Think back to after the Miami twenty-point beatdown; there was lots of anquish in H-Town because some folks thought the point diff should have been 30, 35, or 40... and maybe it should have seeing as how we were sleep-walking for most of the first half.

Now, ask yourself, who has Denver played?
The Steelers.
That's right, Denver/Peyton hung a 30-burger on the famed Steelers D last week. Those same Steelers who should have been still really pissed at the Broncos for knocking them out of the playoffs last year!

And then there's that damned no-huddle offense. Have WE faced a no-huddle offense?? Anyone know if Wade has a counter for the no-huddle?? I don't. I know this: Wade's pass rush depends on the front seven rotation keeping guys fresh. Can't rotate if the no-huddle doesn't give you time to sub guys in. Scares me crapless.

Denver's win was a quality win against a quality team. Our two were pretty good wins but against chump teams. And we're in THEIR house.

I hope Kubiak pulls out the "Aww shucks, kids... I sure would be proud if'n you boys could get me a win here in my old stadium" schick.
I know I would.

Too close to call for me folks.
Old 09-17-2012   #70
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
who have we beat?

who has Denver played?
Solid. Wanted to rep you. MSR
Old 09-17-2012   #71
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Answer: We beat two, how to say this nicely... ...I can't... we beat two chump azz teams by twenty apiece. Think back to after the Miami twenty-point beatdown; there was lots of anquish in H-Town because some folks thought the point diff should have been 30, 35, or 40... and maybe it should have seeing as how we were sleep-walking for most of the first half.

The Steelers.
That's right, Denver/Peyton hung a 30-burger on the famed Steelers D last week. Those same Steelers who should have been still really pissed at the Broncos for knocking them out of the playoffs last year!

And then there's that damned no-huddle offense. Have WE faced a no-huddle offense?? Anyone know if Wade has a counter for the no-huddle?? I don't. I know this: Wade's pass rush depends on the front seven rotation keeping guys fresh. Can't rotate if the no-huddle doesn't give you time to sub guys in. Scares me crapless.

Denver's win was a quality win against a quality team. Our two were pretty good wins but against chump teams. And we're in THEIR house.

I hope Kubiak pulls out the "Aww shucks, kids... I sure would be proud if'n you boys could get me a win here in my old stadium" schick.
I know I would.

Jacksonville almost won on the road and Miami totally dominated the Raiders in their only other games.
Old 09-17-2012   #72
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
It's just Houston north.

not anymore its more like Carolina West now a days :P
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #73
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Jacksonville almost won on the road and Miami totally dominated the Raiders in their only other games.
The Vikings are terrible and so are the Raiders.
Old 09-17-2012   #74
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Vikings are terrible and so are the Raiders.
and the Steelers could'nt even beat Tebow in the playoff's. It does not matter, we will see sunday.
Old 09-17-2012   #75
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

We got it covered. When Schaub hands one ball to Foster, another to Tate, and throws a 3rd one to AJ, they're not gonna know what to do.

Only thing is Myers has to learn that 3 ball hike trick.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #76
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9597 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerTastesLikeVictory View Post
I don't see this logic with the 2012 Texans. While he may be able to relay some plays, they still have to stop our offense. I would like to think our audibles have changed since last year as well. The zone blocking scheme negates some of the worry as well. I'm just not that worried about what Dressen could tell them.
http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootbal...nfels-revenge/

Read the article. Rosenfels was two years removed and still hurt us. I am not saying its going to happen, but it is a risk since Dreesen was a big part of the offense the past few years. But with that's said, wouldn't Leach and Jacoby Jones have the same impact last year and now this year? So I do get what you are saying. My point is that its a risk. Especially with John Fox as good as he is defensively. Just sayin.
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #77
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
and the Steelers could'nt even beat Tebow in the playoff's. It does not matter, we will see sunday.
Well, that was Jesus working his magic.

For what it's worth, Vegas considers the Texans a one point favorite in Denver (at least for the moment).
Old 09-17-2012   #78
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBull View Post
http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootbal...nfels-revenge/

Read the article. Rosenfels was two years removed and still hurt us. I am not saying its going to happen, but it is a risk since Dreesen was a big part of the offense the past few years. But with that's said, wouldn't Leach and Jacoby Jones have the same impact last year and now this year? So I do get what you are saying. My point is that its a risk. Especially with John Fox as good as he is defensively. Just sayin.
seeing last game our offensive plays seem to change every month or so

the jags game we never booted once and ive never seen so many foward pitches and screens its like schaub was throwing the ball like ive never seen him do it that way like he was throwing after like 3 steps and was never planted
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #79
sandmanx
Veteran

Rep Power: 797 sandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respectedsandmanx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The Steelers.
It's a new season, and the 'famed' Steelers defense is a bunch of past memories. It amazes me how much stock people put into past history both in college and pro football. Take Notre Dame for example, they are now in the top 15 in the poll purely because of reputation from players that have long since left, I view the Steelers as the same. The "steel curtain" all retired by the early 80s.

Quote:

I know I would.

A few hours later MannINT doesn't look so hot. He's a great player but he is beatable. I still think it will be a challenging game this Sunday since it's a road game in a tough environment, but I think Denver is overhyped until they prove it over the long haul.
sandmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012   #80
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Dang, don't think the Falcons did us any favours by beating the Broncos.

Although on the other hand any loss by an AFC contender is a good loss for us.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read