Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2005   #41
run-david-run
Hall of Fame
 
run-david-run's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The University of Texas
Age: 25
Posts: 3,370
Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Of Cincy's 22 starters 8 were FA acquisitions (7 from 2003 on).

On offense, Cincy starts 8 draft picks and 3 FA's. On defense they start 6 draft picks and 5 FA's. So FA's have played a major part in building their current team. The difference is they have made the most of non-high dollar FA's including having 2 FA's who were originally undrafted on D plus a successful reclamation 1st round CB project in Deltho O'Neal vs. the Texans paying big money for Wade, Greenwood, McKinney, etc. and not getting good bang for the buck. The concept of rounding out a team with non-elite FA's can work, but the execution hasn't been great here.
He was refering to the dark days of Cinncy, such as the 2-14 season. They have had back-to-back 8-8 seasons and have been close to the playoffs. Since Marvin Lewis took over, they have become one of the most promising young teams, thus they have attracted more fee-agents recently.
__________________
Andre Johnson is The Answer
run-david-run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #42
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 47
Posts: 48,333
Rep Power: 381485 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run
He was refering to the dark days of Cinncy, such as the 2-14 season. They have had back-to-back 8-8 seasons and have been close to the playoffs. Since Marvin Lewis took over, they have become one of the most promising young teams, thus they have attracted more fee-agents recently.
And that is what I am talking about--rebuilding a cruddy 2-14 team, i.e. the 2002 bengals, or the 1-4 to 12-15 Texans. Since that time they have added 7 of the 8 FA's they have as starters. That is what the Texans are facing--getting solid starters for good cap countracts thru good scouting rather going for elite prospects (elite prospects are the ones who can be choosey enough to go to contenders--even then the pickiness is overrated IMO and dollars generally rule.) For example and Andre Davis with the Browns vs. a Morlon Greenwood with the Texans. The Bengals added 3 current starters thru FA in 2003 coming off that 2002 2 and 14 season. They added two more after their 1st 8-8 season. Is a 7-9 season really that different?--nope. With a good GM, it is possible.

The Bengals have 3 total starters who joined their team since 2001. Teams can be rebuilt in fairly short order in the NFL when starting on a base. The Texans have a base as good as the 2002 Bengals--time for a good GM and coach to attempt the same turnaround.
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #43
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod
 
Kaiser Toro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Straight Outta Austin
Age: 44
Posts: 16,081
Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD
Let me pose a question; Can Carr be a leader for this team? Would the team follow a guy who up to this point hasnt done anything in league except get drafted #1? Yeah we can see glimpses of potential, but honestly hasnt done anything? Is he the right person to lead this team?
If the market will bear it. It appears that he has the tools, but only those guys in the locker room really know. Pending the off season changes it will be intersting to see how it shakes out.
__________________
Smell the glove is here
Kaiser Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #44
Runner
Hubcap Diamond
 
Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,851
Rep Power: 58129 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
And that is what I am talking about--rebuilding a cruddy 2-14 team, i.e. the 2002 bengals, or the 1-4 to 12-15 Texans. Since that time they have added 7 of the 8 FA's they have as starters. That is what the Texans are facing--getting solid starters for good cap countracts thru good scouting rather going for elite prospects (elite prospects are the ones who can be choosey enough to go to contenders--even then the pickiness is overrated IMO and dollars generally rule.) For example and Andre Davis with the Browns vs. a Morlon Greenwood with the Texans. The Bengals added 3 current starters thru FA in 2003 coming off that 2002 2 and 14 season. They added two more after their 1st 8-8 season. Is a 7-9 season really that different?--nope. With a good GM, it is possible.

The Bengals have 3 total starters who joined their team since 2001. Teams can be rebuilt in fairly short order in the NFL when starting on a base. The Texans have a base as good as the 2002 Bengals--time for a good GM and coach to attempt the same turnaround.
I don't understand something here - is there a typo somewhere or am I missing your meaning? The bolded portions seem to conflict.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005   #45
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 47
Posts: 48,333
Rep Power: 381485 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
I don't understand something here - is there a typo somewhere or am I missing your meaning? The bolded portions seem to conflict.
I am sorry, that should be "The Bengals have just 3 total starters who joined their team before 2001."
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger