Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-17-2012   #1
DavisAg
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 DavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up 2012 Houston Texans = 2011 Alabama Crimson Tide

Hear me out.

I can't help but think of the 2011 Alabama squad while watching the Texans.

Schaub=McCarron
A game-managing QB who doesn't have to do much for the team to be successful, as long as he limits turnovers.

Foster/Tate=Richardson/Lacy
We have a stable of RB's that the offense leans heavily on. Because of the sound running game, the QB just has to be a game-manager.

Both offensive lines are arguably the best in the country.

Andre Johnson=Marquis Maze
Clearly the No. 1 receiver and the QB knows he can rely on him. He doesn't necessarily have to put up big numbers to make an impact. Draws attention to create room for other receivers.

Defense has studs all over the place. Anchored by a monster DL and fantastic linebackers, they put constant pressure on the opposing QB, making the DB's jobs easier.

Jonathan Joseph=Dre Kirkpatrick
Both are ball-hawks that lockdown receivers and play very physical. Both considered to be one of the best in the country at the position.

So there you have it. Reasons why I see the 2011 National Champion Alabama Crimson Tide when I watch my 2012 Suberbowl Champion Houston Texans.
DavisAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #2
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2012 Houston Texans = 2011 Alabama Crimson Tide

Yeah, I guess I see the resemblance.

Old 09-17-2012   #3
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Yeah, I guess I see the resemblance.
Except Kubiak's a good dude and Saban is an a-hole.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #4
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32864 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak's daughter isn't a paid ninja assassin brawler..

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #5
DavisAg
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 DavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respectedDavisAg is a quality contributor and well respected

Glad this thread turned out how I thought it would.

Old 09-17-2012   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt Schaub isn't just a game manager.. Houston is much more balanced on offense. The 2012 Houston Texans are the 2011 Houston Texans with a healthy Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #7
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisAg View Post
Glad this thread turned out how I thought it would.

Well if you want some analysis, here you go:
Quote:
Schaub=McCarron
A game-managing QB who doesn't have to do much for the team to be successful, as long as he limits turnovers.
This is ludicrous if you consider that guys like Alex Smith and Mark Sanchez are the prime examples of game managers. I think McCarron is a game-manager, in that most of his passes are short and it just allows talent around him to make most of the plays. Schaub on the other hand has had to pass a lot during close games, and he's had several 4000+ yard seasons (was on pace for it last year too). Schaub is much more than a game manager, if that's all he was to this offense, then we probably would have beat the Ravens with TJ Yates. But alas, this offense depends on the QB more than some people are willing to admit.

Quote:
Foster/Tate=Richardson/Lacy
We have a stable of RB's that the offense leans heavily on. Because of the sound running game, the QB just has to be a game-manager.
Yes, we both have good runningbacks, but neither Richardson nor Lacy are the sort of elusive back that Foster is. They are both much more like Tate, ground and pound between the tackles sort of players. The Texans run a zone blocking scheme (lots of counters and pulls), whereas the Tide run a traditional Power-O (plow forward). Their philosophies are different, their o-line play is different, and their interior personnel are built for strength, not speed. Arian flourishes in this type of scheme, but would be wasted in a Bama type of offense. If you want Power-O in the NFL, look at the Jets and Steelers.

Quote:
Both offensive lines are arguably the best in the country.
Ok maybe, but they don't play the same scheme. Not sure what the similarity is besides the talent and that they both use 5 guys to create a pocket.

Quote:
Andre Johnson=Marquis Maze
Andre Lamont Johnson is 6'3 220 pounds, and is known for being a WR that can make plays anywhere on the field. He frequently requires double coverage, and consistently makes tough catches that many WRs would not. He has led the NFL in receiving yards, and has been considered the best WR during those years.

Maze is 5'8 194 pounds, and is primarily a known for being a returnman and has never been in the conversation for the Biletnikoff award.

I'll let you figure that one out.

Quote:
Defense has studs all over the place. Anchored by a monster DL and fantastic linebackers, they put constant pressure on the opposing QB, making the DB's jobs easier.
Yes, they both have good defenses and run a 3-4.

Quote:
Jonathan Joseph=Dre Kirkpatrick
Well, the Bengals did draft Kirkpatrick to fill the hole left by JJo's departure... I guess that one makes sense.
Old 09-17-2012   #8
ItsMyFault
It's on me.

Rep Power: 487 ItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't ever insult this team or the NFL by comparing college football or a college football team to the Texans again.
Old 09-17-2012   #9
DavisAg
Rookie

Yall are feisty today. I'm not literally comparing the Texans to a damn college team. Just thought it was interesting that both teams were built similarly.

Maybe I should re-word the whole "game manager" thing. I do believe Schaub is one of the better QBs in the league. What I'm trying to say is that this offense doesn't need Schaub to be a world beater. They can have success with him being a "game manager".

I'm not physically comparing the running backs nor am I comparing their running style. I merely said we have a stable of running backs that the offense leans on. Both teams have 2 excellent running backs (at their level).

Once again, not physically comparing Andre to Marquis. Just said they are both the clear cut number 1 target and they don't necessarily have to put up big numbers.
Old 09-17-2012   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

WTH is up with all these weird threads?

This isn't "let's pretend" time.

First it was the Luck/Schaub thread, now this one. Am I on the main board by accident? Has this board been hacked?
Old 09-17-2012   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

At this rate, thread topics will look like this by next Monday:

1. If we played next weeks game in a sand pit and blindfolded would we win?

2. Ok everyone...we have only one player to choose to face the whole Broncos team next week. Who would you pick and why? And the one player gets to be armed with your choice of a teleportation device (three uses only!) or a trident and net.

3. Are we more like the 1994 Rockets or a 1967 Mustang. Or a bazooka?
Old 09-17-2012   #12
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisAg View Post
Maybe I should re-word the whole "game manager" thing. I do believe Schaub is one of the better QBs in the league. What I'm trying to say is that this offense doesn't need Schaub to be a world beater. They can have success with him being a "game manager".
We can beat the Dolphins and Jaguars of the world with conservative play from Schaub.. when we start playing other elite QBs (and there's plenty on our schedule) he's going to have to be more than just a game manager.. especially in the playoffs.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #13
BeerTastesLikeVictory
Custom Title

Rep Power: 31401 BeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

2. Ok everyone...we have only one player to choose to face the whole Broncos team next week. Who would you pick and why? And the one player gets to be armed with your choice of a teleportation device (three uses only!) or a trident and net.

Awesome!
Who Wins - Andre Johnson vs. a Category 5 hurricane? But what if the hurricane was named Hurricane Johnson?

**Yes, old SNL superfans reference**

*Sig by False Start*
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
-David Daye
BeerTastesLikeVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Except Kubiak's a good dude and Saban is an a-hole.
This ^^^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
Kubiak's daughter isn't a paid ninja assassin brawler..

TJ
Very funny, this ^^^^^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Matt Schaub isn't just a game manager.. Houston is much more balanced on offense. The 2012 Houston Texans are the 2011 Houston Texans with a healthy Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson.
Agreed. "Game manager" is a little over-used.
Old 09-17-2012   #15
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Magic 8 ball says, "outcome not likely".

Duh, JJ Swatt & a trident. No brainer there.

I like bazookas because they go "BOOM!" Can JJ use the bazooka?
Old 09-17-2012   #16
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Clutchfans doesn't allow newbies to start new threads. I have been thinking TT might want to adopt that policy.
Old 09-17-2012   #17
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Clutchfans doesn't allow newbies to start new threads. I have been thinking TT might want to adopt that policy.
I've requested this but was met with a lot of contention!!
Old 09-17-2012   #18
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52700 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Yeah, but then we wouldn't get classic responses like these.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerTastesLikeVictory View Post
Awesome!
Who Wins - Andre Johnson vs. a Category 5 hurricane? But what if the hurricane was named Hurricane Johnson?

**Yes, old SNL superfans reference**
That's some funny stuff!!!

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #19
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The answer to each of those is obvious: Ditka.

Tried to rep you, bro. MSR
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #20
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8621 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

Hope someone gets GP for that.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read