Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-17-2012   #21
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [NFL.com] Houston Texans have yet to be tested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I agree the Fish are a much better team than many give them credit for.

They have a solid defense , and possibly the best DT pair in the entire NFL.

The common denominator between the first two games was poor QB play by both Gabbert and Tannehill. Outside of that , those two teams are pretty solid.

The Texans wont face a week QB in week three .... they'll face one of the games best.

Denver's defense is also pretty solid on all levels ... and along with that almost dertain HOF QB , they can run the ball.

This game could come down to who has the ball last - the opportunity to score last.
Really? Peyton almost certain? Please.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #22
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

So, after we beat Denver, will the consensus be that Manning is now washed up? lol
Old 09-17-2012   #23
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

It's funny, but I was talking to a scout (friend of a friend, fwiw) at the bar and he was talking about how over-rated Brady is and there's a reason he went in the 6th. Dude was very knowledgable on a lot of things, and he was a Niners fan at heart. He said take Brady out of that system and throw someone else in and you'd probably have the same success. He said the one thing the Patriots have going for them is continual easy schedules, and a front office that does a great job managing a team financially and finding players that fit what they do.
Old 09-17-2012   #24
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 16186 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
So, after we beat Denver, will the consensus be that Manning is now washed up? lol
"the broncos were overrated"
Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #25
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 34380 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
You gotta beat the teams you're supposed to beat. We've done that so far.

Let's see what the Broncos do tomorrow night. Personally, I expect them to handle the Falcons pretty easily.
Had to stop right there.
Old 09-17-2012   #26
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm glad someone else said this because I was thinking the same exact thing. And don't forget Reggie Bush going OFF after being kept fairly quiet most of the game against us.
I'm just commenting on this, but Reggie Bush was killing us...

Probably going to be a BIG season for him. And really just in time for his next contract...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #27
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

Probably going to be a BIG season for him. And really just in time for his next contract...
"killing us" is a little over descriptive I think.
Old 09-17-2012   #28
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Reggie did have some good runs in the first half. But credit the Texans D, who shut it down in the 2nd half. Reggie only had one carry for positive yards(three yarder) the entire 2nd half.
Old 09-17-2012   #29
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74306 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Future articles: The Houston Texans are now 9-0 and have not been tested yet. We can't figure out how the Broncos, Jets, Ravens, and Packers got to be so bad, but it's happened right before our eyes.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #30
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's not. Reggie was the best thing they had going that day. He was averaging 5 ypc and he was their second leading receiver with 6 catches for 48 yards.

Listen, folks can have revisionist history about how that game went all they want, but until the Dolphins had those turnovers in the second quarter before halftime, I'm not going to lie, I was f'n nervous.

Reggie Bush made a bunch of plays for them. We really didn't have much of an answer for him. When we got up by all those points we pretty much made their running game obsolete, but when they were actually committed to running the ball they were doing it with relative ease.

That play where he caught the ball on third down in front of Cushing and just left him and ran for the first down was a great play by him. That doesn't happen to Cushing often.

And that's not a knock on the Texans...I just think the Dlolphins are better than people originally thought.
Old 09-17-2012   #31
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He was averaging 5 yards a carry on us but although he hurt us early, I thought we figured it out and started to minimize him. Once we got up on them, we were able to shut him down.

In the second half, Reggie Bush ran 4 times for a total of 7 yards and a long of 13 yards. That's with three rushes of -2 yards... BUT 3 of those 4 rushes were called back because of penalties. So, in all, Bush only got 1 rush for 13 yards in the second half.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #32
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's not. Reggie was the best thing they had going that day. He was averaging 5 ypc and he was their second leading receiver with 6 catches for 48 yards.

Listen, folks can have revisionist history about how that game went all they want, but until the Dolphins had those turnovers in the second quarter before halftime, I'm not going to lie, I was f'n nervous.

Reggie Bush made a bunch of plays for them. We really didn't have much of an answer for him. When we got up by all those points we pretty much made their running game obsolete, but when they were actually committed to running the ball they were doing it with relative ease.

That play where he caught the ball on third down in front of Cushing and just left him and ran for the first down was a great play by him. That doesn't happen to Cushing often.

And that's not a knock on the Texans...I just think the Dlolphins are better than people originally thought.
I agree with your post, but to be fair (before we give Bush all the credit) it seems the Dolphins did a great job scheming as well.

Antonio's take on containing Bush:
(on the Texans performance) "First half it seemed like we were getting our feet wet. Trying to get into the flow of a real game and then the game plan cause nobody game plans each other in the preseason and they had a couple of good runs. One good run play actually that they kept running til we has to figure out what they had going, but overall I think we played a real good game."

(on RB Reggie Bush having success running) "They did a thing where they open the splits up between the center and the guard to give Reggie more space to fake like he's going outside but cut it back up inside so by the time we honed in and figure it out. There weren't that many more running yards after that."

If you believe him, I would think that we would have performed better in the second half, even if the turnover parade never happened and they weren't forced to abandon the run.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #33
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
So, in all, Bush only got 1 rush for 13 yards in the second half.

He actually had another rush early in the third that went for three yards and wasn't called back for penalty. Not sure why you mention the plays with penalties. They aren't relevant IMO. I'm talking about plays that actually count. So really he had 2 carries for 16 yards in the 2nd half...

So how is that figuring him out?

He didn't get many carries in the second half, and when they were riding him in the first he was picking up yardage in chunks on the ground. And like I mentioned he also did well receiving.

Why don't you want to give Bush his credit? When he was actually involved in their game plan he was doing very well. Heck, even if we count the (2?) negative runs he had, what does that mean? Does that negate all the good he did for them?
Old 09-17-2012   #34
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
I agree with your post, but to be fair (before we give Bush all the credit) it seems the Dolphins did a great job scheming as well.

Antonio's take on containing Bush:
(on the Texans performance) "First half it seemed like we were getting our feet wet. Trying to get into the flow of a real game and then the game plan cause nobody game plans each other in the preseason and they had a couple of good runs. One good run play actually that they kept running til we has to figure out what they had going, but overall I think we played a real good game."

(on RB Reggie Bush having success running) "They did a thing where they open the splits up between the center and the guard to give Reggie more space to fake like he's going outside but cut it back up inside so by the time we honed in and figure it out. There weren't that many more running yards after that."

If you believe him, I would think that we would have performed better in the second half, even if the turnover parade never happened and they weren't forced to abandon the run.
Well, If I remember the play by play correctly he had two rushes for 16 yards in the 2nd half; so much like finding how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop, I guess the world will never know.

But I'm not giving all the credit to Bush. I'm not giving credit to anyone. I'm just stating what happened and Reggie Bush was having a really good game against us.

Last edited by Rey; 09-17-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-17-2012   #35
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 136288 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I said it two years ago and I still say it now:

If we win a Superbowl the ESPN intro right after will be: The Texans just won the Superbowl! Why were the Jets not there? We answer that question NEXT on Sportscenter!
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #36
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He actually had another rush early in the third that went for three yards and wasn't called back for penalty. Not sure why you mention the plays with penalties. They aren't relevant IMO. I'm talking about plays that actually count. So really he had 2 carries for 16 yards in the 2nd half...

So how is that figuring him out?

He didn't get many carries in the second half, and when they were riding him in the first he was picking up yardage in chunks on the ground. And like I mentioned he also did well receiving.

Why don't you want to give Bush his credit? When he was actually involved in their game plan he was doing very well. Heck, even if we count the (2?) negative runs he had, what does that mean? Does that negate all the good he did for them?
Sorry, missed that 3 yard run when I was looking at the play-by-plays.

I counted the -2 yard runs because we stuffed him on those plays. By that point, when we were expecting him to run, we were able to stop him. His o-line was having to hold us to try to stop us and even then, we were getting through and stuffing him.

And it's not that I don't want to give Bush credit. He played very well. Much better than I expected him to, but I think our defense isn't as porous against the run as some people (not saying you necessarily) would like to paint it.

After seeing Bush play against us, I'm totally expecting him to have a very good year this year provided he can stay healthy. I think this Dolphins team is going to surprise some people (like they surprised the Raiders.)

But also, and I don't intend this as a knock on our defense, but our offense contributes as much to our defense's great play as the defense does. Our offense is choking people out so far with the time of possession and that limits the other teams' opportunities to gain yards.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #37
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pencil neck View Post
sorry, missed that 3 yard run when i was looking at the play-by-plays.

I counted the -2 yard runs because we stuffed him on those plays. By that point, when we were expecting him to run, we were able to stop him. His o-line was having to hold us to try to stop us and even then, we were getting through and stuffing him.

And it's not that i don't want to give bush credit. He played very well. Much better than i expected him to, but i think our defense isn't as porous against the run as some people (not saying you necessarily) would like to paint it.

After seeing bush play against us, i'm totally expecting him to have a very good year this year provided he can stay healthy. I think this dolphins team is going to surprise some people (like they surprised the raiders.)

but also, and i don't intend this as a knock on our defense, but our offense contributes as much to our defense's great play as the defense does. Our offense is choking people out so far with the time of possession and that limits the other teams' opportunities to gain yards.
Old 09-17-2012   #38
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16557 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

u know right now i kinda feel Denver is not really a true test .....

what if they lose today and loss to us then what the media will say ok denver is not has good has we thought
Norg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #39
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 42267 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty sure all of the ones that went to the combine took the wonderlic..

for #6

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read