Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-16-2012   #21
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Which players will you focus on VS Jags?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Well, I'll obviously be watching the O and D, but, today I wanna see who's really contributing on STs. Holliday needs a "hole" and our punter needs improvement. Maybe it's that "Jones" factor that scares me! I cringe everytime he touches the ball.
Sandy only watches the tight ends
Old 09-16-2012   #22
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 31376 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Well, I'll obviously be watching the O and D, but, today I wanna see who's really contributing on STs. Holliday needs a "hole" and our punter needs improvement. Maybe it's that "Jones" factor that scares me! I cringe everytime he touches the ball.
On 2 kick returns and 3 punt returns last week, only once did the Texans get it past the 20. So that needs to improve.

My eye will also be on Shaun Cody. Seems the run D was a little tougher when he was in the game. May not make much difference with MJD running, but still.

And finally, the Texans run game. That's got to get rolling. 2.4 yards per touch is not going to cut it. The Texans actually had more success running to Newton and Caldwell's side than they did running to Brown and Smith's side last week. 18 runs for 20 yards (1.1 avg) going left last week with 8 runs of no gain or less. 12 carries for 58 yards (4.8 avg) and just 1 negative play going right.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012   #23
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Bothersome with a runner like MJD:

Quote:
The Dolphins did very well when they ran straight up the middle without giving the defense extra time to identify the run after the snap. The Dolphins averaged 5.4 yards per carry when running up the middle (60 yards on 11 attempts) compared to 3.3 yards per carry when going outside (20 yards on 6 attempts) against the Texans defense. Their 4.1 yards per carry would have been higher if they had done less plays to the outside. Unfortunately this was not the case.
link
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87575 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Back-side of the run play on the O-line. Only cut-back I saw last week was not really a cut-"back," it was a cut-"straight-up-the-middle" on Foster's 14 yd. TD. What I'm referring to is the new rule regarding cut-blocks, because I think it's hurting our running game. I don't even remember any cut-backs to the left on running plays called to the right, which really tells me something. If Duane Brown isn't putting guys on the ground, then nobody is going to without breaking the new rule and I think it's a ZB scheme killer.

PS-cheerleaders. I like to focus on that.
please elaborate on new rules. This is definition: http://static.nfl.com/static/content...er_Conduct.pdf

AND:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...op-block-rule/

Hereís the official rule, which a league source has forwarded to PFT: ďOn a running play, A1, an offensive lineman, chops a defensive player after the defensive player has been engaged by A2 (high or low), and the initial alignment of A2 is more than one position away from A1. The rule applies only when the block occurs at a time when the flow of the play is clearly away from A1.Ē

And so, if the center hits a guy high and a tackle hits him low, itís a penalty. When itís a center and one of the two guards, the chop block is not illegal
Old 09-16-2012   #25
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87575 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Caldwell & Newton & Martin on offense and Cody & KJ & James on defense
Well Caldwell did little to impress me. Newton was a bit better and I can remember only one pass to Martin and Schaub over threw him. Cody did well and Seem to be all over his man. I never saw James do anything. Can someone give me their eval of the MLB? I could hardly take my eyes off Watt & Cush.
Old 09-16-2012   #26
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanted to see Jean go deep, he did but he put the double move on the CB and if the CB hadnt grabbed him jean was going to be WIDE OPEN. Sucks, but i like what i have seen from Jean he reminds me so much of AJ, TBH sometimes i cant tell if it is him or AJ until i see the #.
Old 09-16-2012   #27
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
please elaborate on new rules. This is definition: http://static.nfl.com/static/content...er_Conduct.pdf

AND:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...op-block-rule/

Hereís the official rule, which a league source has forwarded to PFT: ďOn a running play, A1, an offensive lineman, chops a defensive player after the defensive player has been engaged by A2 (high or low), and the initial alignment of A2 is more than one position away from A1. The rule applies only when the block occurs at a time when the flow of the play is clearly away from A1.Ē

And so, if the center hits a guy high and a tackle hits him low, itís a penalty. When itís a center and one of the two guards, the chop block is not illegal
Somebody (at work) gave me the really wrong impression that they could never block low at all anymore. I did see some of the really hard cut-backs by the RBs today anyway and was really glad to see it.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012   #28
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I wanted to see Jean go deep, he did but he put the double move on the CB and if the CB hadnt grabbed him jean was going to be WIDE OPEN. Sucks, but i like what i have seen from Jean he reminds me so much of AJ, TBH sometimes i cant tell if it is him or AJ until i see the #.
You thought the CB slowed him that much? I thought Jean would not have caught it anyway.
Old 09-16-2012   #29
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Somebody (at work) gave me the really wrong impression that they could never block low at all anymore. I did see some of the really hard cut-backs by the RBs today anyway and was really glad to see it.
cool. BTW I was not being critical. THought I had missed something.
Old 09-17-2012   #30
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well Caldwell did little to impress me. Newton was a bit better and I can remember only one pass to Martin and Schaub over threw him. Cody did well and Seem to be all over his man. I never saw James do anything. Can someone give me their eval of the MLB? I could hardly take my eyes off Watt & Cush.
B. James had a solid game.

He did make a mistake on the TD to MJD, but it was a good faked block by MJD and good execution by the Jags overall.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
B. James had a solid game.

He did make a mistake on the TD to MJD, but it was a good faked block by MJD and good execution by the Jags overall.
Thanks 76.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read