Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-13-2012   #21
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Is Matt Schaub clutch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
What that makes no sense, then u can count Schaub is clutch against miami since he turned all the turnovers into points. Since it was before the 2 minute warning ???
Let me put it to you this way. If you have a clutch QB, you can win the Super Bowl with the 31st ranked defense.
Old 09-13-2012   #22
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Clutch is clutch. If you're not clutch to start the third, you don't have a chance at the end of the game.
Not to mention Clutch is when it Matters most thats why its called clutch. Start of the third quarter going 3 and out dont make him not clutch.
Old 09-13-2012   #23
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady.Gaga.3000 View Post
Is Matt Schaub clutch? Paul Kuharsky poses that question.

Does clutch even exist?
First off, I'm not sure why I'm responding to someone using a user name of Lady.Gaga.3000

In any event, my answer is this:
IF ALL three phases of the game perform, we'll never have to know. In other words, we should be better in all three phases where it shouldn't come down to Schaub "being clutch" for the simple fact that he's a good leader AND has "clutch players" to work with. He knows this offense in a brilliant manner, meaning he'll put the ball in the hands of those that can get it done!

"Clutch"? No.. More than competent?? YES!

BTW, Paul "Tinnbred Homer" Kuharsky has been, is, and always be an Tinnbred honk. Once in awhile he'll pull his head out of his ass!

I love my man Adam Clanton, but he and I must "agree to disagree" about Kuharsky!
Old 09-13-2012   #24
BlueSteel
Veteran

Rep Power: 151 BlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The defense started the third Qtr with a 3 & out & back to back turnovers. The offense couldn't get a first down.
Schaub has played clutch in games and forced some throws that I am sure he would like back in other games. If you look at more games than last season, Schaub has shown us that he can be an elite QB.

Clutch is something that only happens when your team is down and the QB takes the team down the field to score/win the game. Schaub has done that and when he takes the field I do not cringe. I am confident in what he can do as a QB.

Why are we even questioning if Schaub is clutch? I would rather look at the Texans as all around winners than rely on a QB to win a last minute game for us each week.
Old 09-13-2012   #25
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Let me put it to you this way. If you have a clutch QB, you can win the Super Bowl with the 31st ranked defense.
Well then i can tell you in the 100 something years of the NFL there have been VERY few clutch QBs
Old 09-13-2012   #26
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

When I think of what "clutch" really means to me for a QB, I only think of three QBs in the league right now (Brady, Manning, Brees)....and probably about 3 other young ones who will or might be some day. That leaves 29 teams without a currently "clutch" QB. I don't know if we should've waited to extend Schaub's contract or if we should've looked harder at Manning, but I do know that most NFL fans are going to have to live without a "clutch" QB and Schaub, if he stays healthy, can win a SB or two with good players around him, which we do have.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012   #27
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think there's a QB out there that hasn't blown an opportunity to win a game in the 4th quarter for their team. I've seen Brady screw up. I've seen Manning blow it. I've seen Brees and Rodgers not get it done as well.

I've seen Schaub do everything that a clutch QB needs to do. I've seen him lead game winning drives. I've seen him score with under 2 minutes left to take a lead. Sometimes we've won those games and sometimes we haven't. Remember the Jets game where we took the lead with 45 seconds and then our defense screwed us or the Jaguar game where we took the lead at the end of the 4th and couldn't keep Garrard out of the end zone or the OTHER game against the Jaguars where Glover Quin knocked the hail mary pass right into the Jaguar's hands. I can't blame Schaub for those losses.

And I've seen Schaub push too hard and throw interceptions or just not get the first downs we need.

I said this a long time ago about Elway... I just want a QB that wins. I would prefer that he not have to do it in the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter because if he's having to do that, it means he didn't play well enough the rest of the game. I'd prefer that we jump out to a lead every game and never let it go rather than having to pull one out at the end. But if we have to pull one out at the end, by all means have the defense to seal the deal.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012   #28
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Can anyone honestly say that shammy has proven to be a choke artist?

Dude hasn't proven anything either way...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012   #29
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Everybody has their own stupid definition of the word "clutch" and its all subjective anyway. My big problem with Schaub is attendance more than it is in-game ability; he seems to fit what Kubiak wants out of a QB. As long as Kubiak has a job he's probably going to want Schaub on the roster and I'm okay with that.

He makes plays and has screw ups just like probably 80% of the league, he's certainly not a liability.
Old 09-14-2012   #30
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Only my definition of clutch matters.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Matt clutch, elite, an all pro, cannon arm, blah blah blah. I would imagine there have been QBs with none of that in Super Bowl. I' m more interested in do the players and coaches trust him and his leadership? Does he run the O and game plan given him. More importantly is he the best option we have or can get without giving up way too much? When you have minimal options, you take a deep breath and cross your fingers.
Old 09-14-2012   #32
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 172517 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Montana...clutch

Elway.......clutch

Schaub.....Texans QB
Old 09-14-2012   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
When you have minimal options, you take a deep breath and cross your fingers.
& you surround him with as much talent as possible.
Old 09-14-2012   #34
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
& you surround him with as much talent as possible.
Bingo and enter Ric Smith. This team can really become something huge. Dynasty? Maybe but next game up.
Old 09-15-2012   #35
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Elway.......clutch
The king of the 4th quarter comeback who "couldn't win the big one."

After his SB losses (which were decidedly un-clutch), one joke went: How do you keep John Elway from getting to his front door? Put an end zone in front of it.

And this is what I was saying earlier, even the guys normally recognized as "clutch" don't necessarily have records as good as people imagine they do in those clutch situations.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012   #36
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 172517 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
The king of the 4th quarter comeback who "couldn't win the big one."

After his SB losses (which were decidedly un-clutch), one joke went: How do you keep John Elway from getting to his front door? Put an end zone in front of it.

And this is what I was saying earlier, even the guys normally recognized as "clutch" don't necessarily have records as good as people imagine they do in those clutch situations.
Lol, I remember those jokes. I'll still take him in the 4th.
Old 09-15-2012   #37
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Lol, I remember those jokes. I'll still take him in the 4th.
Of course you would now, hindsight is always 20/20.
Old 09-15-2012   #38
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Of course you would now, hindsight is always 20/20.
Does it make you feel any better when I say I would have done the same when we was playing? Yes, I thought he was good while he played. JH Christ, peeps.
Old 09-15-2012   #39
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing is, we don't need Schaub to be "clutch". We have a team in place that's like a well oiled machine, fully built with a battery backup should something falter.

Defense is dynamic which gives us great field positioning, letting Schaub manage the game with a minimal amount of offensive plays needed. On offense, he doesn't have to carry the load because of our stellar run game and play action.

Yes, he'll have to make throws, but they're throws any NFL team would expect out of their QB. What Schaub is best at and why's he fits here perfectly is his ability to keep us on schedule to put points up on the board.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012   #40
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
When I think of what "clutch" really means to me for a QB, I only think of three QBs in the league right now (Brady, Manning, Brees)....and probably about 3 other young ones who will or might be some day. That leaves 29 teams without a currently "clutch" QB. I don't know if we should've waited to extend Schaub's contract or if we should've looked harder at Manning, but I do know that most NFL fans are going to have to live without a "clutch" QB and Schaub, if he stays healthy, can win a SB or two with good players around him, which we do have.
Big Ben has been clutch a number of times. He has had like 21 last minute drives to win games or something like that. That is the definition of clutch and there really is no argument to suggest that he isn't with a stat like that. Aaron Rodgers is damn clutch as well and has proven that a number of times. Eli Manning has definitely proven that he is a clutch type of player.

I'd put the 3 you mentioned and those other two. There are about 5. Matt Ryan has had some nice clutch performances as well though.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read