Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-13-2012   #241
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: The improbable improvement of Kareem Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
That why he gave up that long reception to that white WR whos name i dont know.
Did he just say what I think he said?

Old 09-13-2012   #242
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
our just get pass interference called on him A LOT, which is what will happen
Think KJ found a way to improve on that front midway through last season? Not got the stats to hand but don't think you could say he did it 'A LOT'.

Also don't forget that sometimes a corner is put in a position where the choice is 50 yard PI or 70 yard TD and which is the better option to give up? I've seen him make that solid decision when beaten a couple of times and would frankly see that a sound decision making, again, it comes down to minimizing a weakness.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012   #243
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 78686 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

2:04 mark.......http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos...ill-highlights
Old 09-13-2012   #244
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Rep Power: 78686 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Think KJ found a way to improve on that front midway through last season? Not got the stats to hand but don't think you could say he did it 'A LOT'.

Also don't forget that sometimes a corner is put in a position where the choice is 50 yard PI or 70 yard TD and which is the better option to give up? I've seen him make that solid decision when beaten a couple of times and would frankly see that a sound decision making, again, it comes down to minimizing a weakness.
key word is sometimes. but how often does KJ ever look back for the ball ???
Old 09-13-2012   #245
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Speaks volumes of the previous Defensive staff that they thought he could lead the team as a rookie, but its all worked out in the end.
I think it speaks volumes about coach speak. We can not believe everything they tell us. They are going to say the least damaging thing about the organization.

The Texans had already told Dunta, "See ya!!" then they wasted too much time with Boden. By the time they figured we weren't getting Boden, the FA market for CBs dried up. We didn't have any players worth entertaining a trade & they did not want to (I presume) deal any draft picks.

They can not say, "Well, we screwed that up guys..... " Instead, they say, "We feel pretty good with what we've got."

Coach speak. They knew they were going to struggle.
Old 09-13-2012   #246
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I could be completely wrong on this but I'll run it by you guys, in particular 76's take on this;

KJ has a weakness in deep coverage, but a real strength in the shorter game.

KJ will be picked on throughout a game because the QB doesn't want to throw it Joseph's way, less of a KJ thing and more of a JoJo thing.

Therefore when KJ turns and runs he knows there is a high chance of the ball getting thrown his way.

What I see, is that KJ has improved at staying with his receiver, but doesn't have the ability to get that step ahead of the play to where he can make a play on the ball himself, so ends up making the receivers life as difficult as possible to catch the ball instead.

This would seem to me, to be a coached tendency. KJ gave up a few big plays down the stretch last year where he had really tight coverage and it was simply a great throw & catch by the offence, the Julio Jones one springs to mind.

Why would he look to make a play on the ball at the risk of giving up an easy catch for a whole bunch of yardage? I don't get where the problem is here. He makes life difficult for the receiver and is turning what is a weakness into something where he's forcing a great play by the receiver rather than gambling and risking a huge loss.

I'd much rather watch the Texans lose to a bunch of great plays by an opposing offense, than watch them lose to a bunch of easy plays because of poor coaching. I'd also much prefer them to win dominantly and only give up 1 FG on D. So I really won't complain.

76, 18 months ago I was highly skeptical of what you were saying about KJ being able to come good, what I saw last season was a steady improvement and what I see now is a mostly reliable #2 CB which is more than what half the league have at the position. That makes it a really good pick in my view.

Speaks volumes of the previous Defensive staff that they thought he could lead the team as a rookie, but its all worked out in the end.
Excellent!

Right there is the core.

If KJ can get past that stage (and really, a lot of it is mental), I think he can be a bona-fide CB in this league.

IMO, KJ is a solid #2 CB due to his overall skill set.
He has got to take the next step if he wants to be a shutdown at #2 and/or a solid at #1.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012   #247
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Excellent!

Right there is the core.

If KJ can get past that stage (and really, a lot of it is mental), I think he can be a bona-fide CB in this league.

IMO, KJ is a solid #2 CB due to his overall skill set.
He has got to take the next step if he wants to be a shutdown at #2 and/or a solid at #1.
Well all i know is that if a CB doesnt "TRY" to locate the ball they often get PI calls on them. So he needs to Pretend he is looking for it at the very least. I dont see how its a good thing that he never tries to locate the ball.

If i was an O.C i would go deep against KJ every play hell he would get PI called against him 2 out of 4 plays if he was even close enough to touch the WR.
Old 09-13-2012   #248
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Another thing I think should be taken into great consideration.

The more you see the SS coming down to play the run, the more you know the DC is condifent in the CBs.

The DC would feel more confident to send in a Safety blitz when he feels like his CBs can handle it on an island.

Let's not compare KJ with a cover 2 corner.

He played a good part in Wade's scheme last year; I expect him to do more this year.

I kid you not, Wade will take KJ over any CB he had with the Cowboys (at least the last 2 years I watched them play under Wade).
Old 09-13-2012   #249
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Well all i know is that if a CB doesnt "TRY" to locate the ball they often get PI calls on them. So he needs to Pretend he is looking for it at the very least. I dont see how its a good thing that he never tries to locate the ball.

If i was an O.C i would go deep against KJ every play hell he would get PI called against him 2 out of 4 plays if he was even close enough to touch the WR.
I hope you're a OC!

But that is besides the point.

Like I said, I don't dislike you Ellis. But you never talk about techniques and how the DB should play besides "pretending".

You certainly can have your opinion.
I respond to your opinions more often than I should.
Truly, you should read many posts (not just mine) in response to your concern.

Simply Crying is the same as Obama's hoping, sorry to say (I don't dislike Obama either, LOL!)
Old 09-13-2012   #250
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
I hope you're a OC!

But that is besides the point.

Like I said, I don't dislike you Ellis. But you never talk about techniques and how the DB should play besides "pretending".

You certainly can have your opinion.
I respond to your opinions more often than I should.
Truly, you should read many posts (not just mine) in response to your concern.

Simply Crying is the same as Obama's hoping, sorry to say (I don't dislike Obama either, LOL!)
Dude come on.
are you telling me a CB wont get flagged for PI more often than not if he dont turn to locate the ball ??? This right here is common knowledge that even the least interested fan knows.
Old 09-13-2012   #251
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Dude come on.
are you telling me a CB wont get flagged for PI more often than not if he dont turn to locate the ball ??? This right here is common knowledge that even the least interested fan knows.
Dude, once again, you are generalizing things!

Well, obviously, you don't know it (and I'm saying this without preconception, etc.)

You are taking into account less than you should have while generalizing things more than you should have.
Old 09-13-2012   #252
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
Dude, once again, you are generalizing things!

Well, obviously, you don't know it (and I'm saying this without preconception, etc.)

You are taking into account less than you should have while generalizing things more than you should have.
It is the NFL where rules are "generally" the same. I am not saying KJ hasnt improved cause honestly i think he has, but he needs to turn his head, cause the Refs regardless of it was actually PI or not will call it 9 out of 10 times if the DB has his back to the ball hand fighting with a WR.
Old 09-13-2012   #253
76Texan
Hall of Fame

EU, let me tell something more in a certain term that is more acceptable to you.
Jason Allen is currently a back-up and Kareem Jackson is a starter.

There would be at least 3 coaching staffs that made a mistake if they were you.
Old 09-13-2012   #254
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It is the NFL where rules are "generally" the same. I am not saying KJ hasnt improved cause honestly i think he has, but he needs to turn his head, cause the Refs regardless of it was actually PI or not will call it 9 out of 10 times if the DB has his back to the ball hand fighting with a WR.
In this instance, you're not generalizing things, but you're picking and choosing.

You need to go back and read every single post in this thread (and perhaps some in other threads as well).

After that, you can take it straight to Vance Joseph and Wade Phillips.
Old 09-13-2012   #255
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
EU, let me tell something more in a certain term that is more acceptable to you.
Jason Allen is currently a back-up and Kareem Jackson is a starter.

There would be at least 3 coaching staffs that made a mistake if they were you.
J. Allen was good against the deep ball. Had a knack for making a play on the ball, was good at locating the ball. Never said he was the best CB in the league. Though he did split time with KJ the whole time he was here. He was going to get money from some team, we cutt Winston, traded demeco, released Jacoby so i doubt we were going to resign Allen for what he got offered from other teams.

And ur avoiding my question am i right or wrong about the PI calls on DBs who have their backs to the ball ?
Old 09-13-2012   #256
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
In this instance, you're not generalizing things, but you're picking and choosing.

You need to go back and read every single post in this thread (and perhaps some in other threads as well).

After that, you can take it straight to Vance Joseph and Wade Phillips.
I'm not picking and choosing. I am stating what happens to ALL DBs around the NFL who have their backs to the ball. (KJ always has his back to the ball on deep balls) It's a valid question/concern.
Old 09-13-2012   #257
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Now, I need to remind you EU, that I have a brother-in-law (who is a year older than I am) that is quite the KJ's hater.

I'm very tight with him, nonetheless.
We watched a lot of Oilers footballs together.
I watched most Texans games with him.

I understand the criticism first hand, so to speak.
Old 09-13-2012   #258
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
Now, I need to remind you EU, that I have a brother-in-law (who is a year older than I am) that is quite the KJ's hater.

I'm very tight with him, nonetheless.
We watched a lot of Oilers footballs together.
I watched most Texans games with him.

I understand the criticism first hand, so to speak.
HAHA well i dont hate on KJ like i used to, infact like i said he has greatly improved since his rookie campaign, i just think theres a few things he needs to improve on. Now his short passing game and run defense are GREAT. Its just his deep coverage that needs improvment IMO.
Old 09-13-2012   #259
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Not nine times out of 10. But you do have a point. However, there is more to turning your head to avoiding a PI. As long as the DB does not touch the receiver before the ball gets there.

Let's imagine, that Kj turns his head to locate the ball, but the ball sails over his head, as he turns. He doesn't see the ball. It is in the receivers hands. The receiver is now running towards the endzone as Kj turns back towards the receiver.

That's what we want to prevent. So, let's say the defense called expects #25 to gaurd against a free release to the inside. I don't know, assume the DC watched a lot of film on the opposing teams tendencies & because of the down & distance, he wants Kj to play that slant.

However, the receiver never goes inside, instead he releases to the big side of the field, away from the CB, away from the safety. Now the CB is in a trail position. He still thinks it will be something short & quick, so he's guarding against a curl or a quick out.

Then he sees the receiver's hands go up, he sees the eyes go up.

That ball is coming, he knows that, but he has no idea how long ago the ball was thrown (his back is to the QB). He could turn his head & locate the ball. Or, he can get his hands up, in the projected path of the ball. If he keeps his eyes on the receiver, he can quickly tackle him or smack his arms if he notices the receiver catch the ball.
Old 09-13-2012   #260
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Not nine times out of 10. But you do have a point. However, there is more to turning your head to avoiding a PI. As long as the DB does not touch the receiver before the ball gets there.

Let's imagine, that Kj turns his head to locate the ball, but the ball sails over his head, as he turns. He doesn't see the ball. It is in the receivers hands. The receiver is now running towards the endzone as Kj turns back towards the receiver.

That's what we want to prevent. So, let's say the defense called expects #25 to gaurd against a free release to the inside. I don't know, assume the DC watched a lot of film on the opposing teams tendencies & because of the down & distance, he wants Kj to play that slant.

However, the receiver never goes inside, instead he releases to the big side of the field, away from the CB, away from the safety. Now the CB is in a trail position. He still thinks it will be something short & quick, so he's guarding against a curl or a quick out.

Then he sees the receiver's hands go up, he sees the eyes go up.

That ball is coming, he knows that, but he has no idea how long ago the ball was thrown (his back is to the QB). He could turn his head & locate the ball. Or, he can get his hands up, in the projected path of the ball. If he keeps his eyes on the receiver, he can quickly tackle him or smack his arms if he notices the receiver catch the ball.
The angle the ref usually has is either in front our behind the WR/DB. They make a lot of bad PI calls. I'm not saying it will be fault but its one of those things that Refs see and call without actually seeing if the DB was touching the WR or not.

We have ALl send some BAD PI calls. And either way mostly its because The DB had his back to the ball and never tried to locate it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read