Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-12-2012   #61
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do we have a Super Bowl team or not?

As of right now....no
Old 09-12-2012   #62
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
As of right now....no
If the season ended today, who do you think should be there?
Old 09-12-2012   #63
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
If the season ended today, who do you think should be there?
49ers Vs .... If I had to pick an AFC team , it would have to be the Ravens or Bronco's after dominant wins over playoff teams while the other contenders played patsy's.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012   #64
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
49ers Vs .... If I had to pick an AFC team , it would have to be the Ravens or Bronco's after dominant wins over playoff teams while the other contenders played patsy's.
That's what I was thinking, more or less. 49ers/Ravens & it isn't close. Going by the eyeball test. Those were the only two teams, I thought, that had strong all around performances.

I liked the Broncos, but the Ravens way out classed them.

Ravens
49ers
Broncos
Patriots
Jets
Texans
Cowboys

That would be the start of my power rankings, if I were to do power rankings.
Old 09-12-2012   #65
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

CBS's Power rankings are a little different, a little more favorable to the Texans
Old 09-12-2012   #66
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to see a good solid effort from all aspects, O - D- STs against Jags. Not too concerned about score just the play and handling their business.
Old 09-12-2012   #67
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Plenty of them:

Tomlin and Cowher (Steelers)

Brian Billick (Ravens)

Shanahan twice (Broncos with Kubiak as OC)

Joe Gibbs 3 times (Washington in 1991 for example, had the most rushing attempts in the league that year and the Hogs defense)

Seifert several times(Niners with Shanahan as OC and Kubiak as QB coach in a WCO in 1994)

Bill Parcels twice (Giants)

Jimmy Johnson twice (Cowboys - he may be flamboyant, but he relied on a good rushing game - in those two years, the Cowboys actually had 5 games in which they had more rushing yards than passing yards)

Mike Dikta (Bears had most rushing attempts in 1985)

Bill Walsh several (Niners - one of the grand-fathers of the WCO)

Tom Flores twice (Raiders 1983 with 542 rushing attempts - in both the Championship game and the SB, the Raiders had more rushing yards than passing yards)

Chuck Knoll several (Steelers)

Tom Landry twice (Cowboys)

John Madden (Raiders 1976 won the conf championship game over the Steelers by putting up 157 yards on the ground and just 63 passing yards)

Don Shula twice (Dolphins in 1973 ran almost twice as much as pass - 507/256 - and 613/259 in the previous year)

Hank Stram (Chiefs with the #1 rushing team in the league - both in attempts and yardage)

Weeb Ewbank (Jets had the #3 rushing team in attempts and the #1 defense in yardage)

Both Lombardi's SB teams also ranked high in number of rushing attempts (#3 and #4) and had a great defense. In 1967, GB won 33-14 with 160 rushing yards and 162 passing yards in the SB)
THis is all subjective, but you have a very odd list of coaches that you feel were "conservative coaches." Some of them on here surely were, but guys like Bill Walsh certainly were not.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012   #68
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
THis is all subjective, but you have a very odd list of coaches that you feel were "conservative coaches." Some of them on here surely were, but guys like Bill Walsh certainly were not.
I don't think there's a clear definition for "conservative." I always thought Bill Walsh was conservative in his game management.

Parcells, otoh, could be downright anti-conservative with his 4th down attempts. Cowher had a love of trick plays, although he was normally pretty conservative. Brian Billick, an offensive guy, could be a gambler at times. Gibbs would definitely take chances.

But all of those coaches also had their share of conservative decisions, as well.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012   #69
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I think Kubiak's "conservative"-ness is also still in question. Let's see a relatively "mistake free" performance & see if turtles up. I doubt it as we have seen in the past. We've already mentioned several examples where we've kept scoring despite a healthy lead.

Indy @ Hou 7-34
Hou @ Tenn 41-7
Cle @ Hou 30-12
Hou @ TB 37-9

So you've got to ask yourself why does he throttle some teams & not others. If you think about the Tampa Bay game, he had already lost 2 QBs & still had Tj slinging the ball until he realized those 2 QBs would be out for the game.

Sunday's game shows you how quick a game can get out of hand once a team loses focus & starts making mistakes. Same thing happened to us when we played the Cowboys in 2006.
Quote:
Houston led 6-3 at halftime, then ruined their comeback chances when Carr threw interceptions on consecutive drives and Edell Shepherd fumbled on a kickoff return. Dallas turned all three takeaways into points.

I know it's very rare that a team will play "mistake-free" so you've got to use that term loosely & take into account the maturity of your team. Mistakes & penalties have a greater effect on young teams than they do on veteran teams, so I expect to see Kubiak loosen up a little, with the maturity of our team, but we'll see.
Old 09-13-2012   #70
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Kubiak's "conservative"-ness is also still in question. Let's see a relatively "mistake free" performance & see if turtles up. I doubt it as we have seen in the past. We've already mentioned several examples where we've kept scoring despite a healthy lead.

Indy @ Hou 7-34
Hou @ Tenn 41-7
Cle @ Hou 30-12
Hou @ TB 37-9

So you've got to ask yourself why does he throttle some teams & not others. If you think about the Tampa Bay game, he had already lost 2 QBs & still had Tj slinging the ball until he realized those 2 QBs would be out for the game.

Sunday's game shows you how quick a game can get out of hand once a team loses focus & starts making mistakes. Same thing happened to us when we played the Cowboys in 2006.

I know it's very rare that a team will play "mistake-free" so you've got to use that term loosely & take into account the maturity of your team. Mistakes & penalties have a greater effect on young teams than they do on veteran teams, so I expect to see Kubiak loosen up a little, with the maturity of our team, but we'll see.
DUDE Schaub played the entire game in Tampa Bay.........
Old 09-13-2012   #71
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
DUDE Schaub played the entire game in Tampa Bay.........
Excuse me, I meant Jacksonville, the next week. We would have throttled the Jags if our 2nd String QB wouldn't have gone down.
Old 09-13-2012   #72
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to say something that I never thought I'd say here...I think the Texans are a SB team. Being a Cowboy fan that came here I never thought that before. But I think the Texans are a very balanced team and that is what you need. I think they have the parts that control games....offense that can run and a D. I'll be honest..still not a Kubes fan and I think he is the X factor but if you look at the NFL landscape, I think the Texans are as balanced as anyone. The 49ers look the best out of everyone right now though.
Old 09-13-2012   #73
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Excuse me, I meant Jacksonville, the next week. We would have throttled the Jags if our 2nd String QB wouldn't have gone down.
I think history would suggest otherwise...imo
Old 09-13-2012   #74
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I don't think there's a clear definition for "conservative." I always thought Bill Walsh was conservative in his game management.

Parcells, otoh, could be downright anti-conservative with his 4th down attempts. Cowher had a love of trick plays, although he was normally pretty conservative. Brian Billick, an offensive guy, could be a gambler at times. Gibbs would definitely take chances.

But all of those coaches also had their share of conservative decisions, as well.
The West Coast Offense is designed to control the clock methodically with runs and short passes (and an occasional shot downfield.)

The common denominators that can be found in those coaches that I listed (especially in the year they won the SB) was a strong running game and a strong defense (that didn't gamble like Buddy Ryan's D, for example).

Take Brian Billick, for example.
Even though he was an offensive mind like TPN said, the year the Ravens won the SB, his offense ranked 5th in rushing attempt and 20th in passing attempt (22nd in passing yardage.)

Wouldn't you say that it was a conservative offense?
Especially considering the Ravens had the top scoring defense and second in yard allowed.

With a defense like that, an offensive mind like Billick could have open it up much more, right?
But he didn't.

If you go down the list, that was what happened with all those teams (and coaches) that I put on that list.

And it was a long list.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012   #75
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I'm going to say something that I never thought I'd say here...I think the Texans are a SB team. Being a Cowboy fan that came here I never thought that before. But I think the Texans are a very balanced team and that is what you need. I think they have the parts that control games....offense that can run and a D. I'll be honest..still not a Kubes fan and I think he is the X factor but if you look at the NFL landscape, I think the Texans are as balanced as anyone. The 49ers look the best out of everyone right now though.
I thought we might have seen a little of a preview Niners/Texans in the PS.
Both teams are very solid across the board, and therefore, make for good SB contenders.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012   #76
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96229 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Its a long season, but right now, you have one of the best rosters from 1-53 in football. I'd like to see how things go if yoiu can actually keep Foster, Johnson and Schaub healthy all season, and not suffer any major blows (Watt, Barwin, Joseph) on defense.

Injuries are always a ridiculously big part of the season, as you all know from last season.

In terms of who scared me the most after week one, I'd still say the Pats and Ravens. The Pats manhandled the Titans on the road like they were peasants, while the Ravens look ridiculously hungry in destroying Cincy - both teams were better foes than the Dolphins.

As always, this is the internet and Sunday is a new week. Lose and the SB threads turn into "Fire so and so threads."

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012   #77
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
Its a long season, but right now, you have one of the best rosters from 1-53 in football. I'd like to see how things go if yoiu can actually keep Foster, Johnson and Schaub healthy all season, and not suffer any major blows (Watt, Barwin, Joseph) on defense.

Injuries are always a ridiculously big part of the season, as you all know from last season.

In terms of who scared me the most after week one, I'd still say the Pats and Ravens. The Pats manhandled the Titans on the road like they were peasants, while the Ravens look ridiculously hungry in destroying Cincy - both teams were better foes than the Dolphins.

As always, this is the internet and Sunday is a new week. Lose and the SB threads turn into "Fire so and so threads."
+Rep. Good post
Old 09-13-2012   #78
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
+Rep. Good post
Eh..... the Titans are peasants. If they had started the best QB on their team, I could see them as division contenders, play-off contenders. Heck, they'd be contenders if CJ2K would show up to help Locker, but when CJ2YPC shows up..... peasants.
Old 09-13-2012   #79
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96229 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Eh..... the Titans are peasants. If they had started the best QB on their team, I could see them as division contenders, play-off contenders. Heck, they'd be contenders if CJ2K would show up to help Locker, but when CJ2YPC shows up..... peasants.
Fyi I am a Titan fan. Trust me I didn't enjoy saying that. It was men against boys.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012   #80
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read