Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 09-08-2012   #1
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Experience riding Metrorail to Texans games?

Am considering it for the Ravens game. Googled it for info but came up petty lame. Does anyone know how much it costs to park, best places to park and how far is the walk from being dropped off on Fannin to the Platinum Lot? I read where parking was $10 but that post was from 2010 and the cost of the rail was $2.50 each way.

Found several references to the Metro facility at the corner of West Belfort & Fannin. I'm guessing this is where they drop you off for the game?

Is the parking still the same price? Is there a better place to park where one can still use the rail and perhaps make a quick get away after the game?

Can always do the Crowne Plaza thing but 10 bucks vs 30, hmm. I can walk a few blocks for 20 duckets.

TIA for any current information.

Thanks for any insight

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Experience riding Metrorail to Texans games?

I always park behind the Sam's Club across the freeway. They charge you to park and I forget what I paid....someone will know. I buy an all day pass for a couple of dollars (metrorail)....easy in, easy out. They keep it moving and I've never had any problems once they got it going. Done it many times.

Looks like metrorail is free this year...

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...3-6705dce2b7e8

Quote:
HOUSTON - Reliant is helping “bring the energy” once again to Houston Texans’ home games by offering free METRORail rides to Texans’ fans headed to and from Reliant Park during regular season home games.

“Texans’ fans energize the team and Reliant is proud to bring that energy to the game,” said Manny Rodriguez, Vice President of Sponsorships & Charitable Giving, Reliant. “We are thrilled to be part of such an outstanding team and appreciate the opportunity to support their fans and our local community.”

Last year, Reliant introduced the METRORail program and provided free rides to more than 155,000 fans. Reliant hopes its efforts will encourage more riders to support the environment by keeping vehicles off the road and out of traffic.

To help promote the program, one METRORail train will sport a custom graphic wrap with Reliant’s 2012-2013 slogan “Bring the Energy” and will feature the Texans’ All-Pro wide receiver Andre Johnson. The wrapped METRORail train will be one of the trains used to take fans to and from the stadium on home game days free of charge.

The offer is valid for every Texans home game from 5:30 a.m. to midnight beginning with this Sunday’s game against the Miami Dolphins.

http://www.houstontexans.com/gameday...d-parking.html map

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012   #3
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Am considering it for the Ravens game. Googled it for info but came up petty lame. Does anyone know how much it costs to park, best places to park and how far is the walk from being dropped off on Fannin to the Platinum Lot? I read where parking was $10 but that post was from 2010 and the cost of the rail was $2.50 each way.

Found several references to the Metro facility at the corner of West Belfort & Fannin. I'm guessing this is where they drop you off for the game?

Is the parking still the same price? Is there a better place to park where one can still use the rail and perhaps make a quick get away after the game?

Can always do the Crowne Plaza thing but 10 bucks vs 30, hmm. I can walk a few blocks for 20 duckets.

TIA for any current information.

Thanks for any insight
I did the parking and rail for the rodeo at the Bellfort/Fannin lot, they do charge a bit extra for parking for major events, but it isn't much. It is a bit of a hike to the blue crew.

You are welcome to just come by our house and ride in with us if you want. My guess is we will be a bit of a slacker for that game and not leave until 8:30, I have both boys coming and it is hard to get them moving for a 7 am departure.
Old 09-08-2012   #4
drs23 
Veteran

Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Pardon my ignorance but where is Sam's located relative to Fannin or Kirby? I'll be coming in on 610 off of 10 from BMT.

Old 09-08-2012   #5
drs23 
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
I did the parking and rail for the rodeo at the Bellfort/Fannin lot, they do charge a bit extra for parking for major events, but it isn't much. It is a bit of a hike to the blue crew.

You are welcome to just come by our house and ride in with us if you want. My guess is we will be a bit of a slacker for that game and not leave until 8:30, I have both boys coming and it is hard to get them moving for a 7 am departure.
I could certainly entertain that idea. Where are you relative to coming in pursuant to my post above.

Old 09-08-2012   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Pardon my ignorance but where is Sam's located relative to Fannin or Kirby? I'll be coming in on 610 off of 10 from BMT.
http://www.houstontexans.com/gameday...d-parking.html

Find the metrorail icon and follow it down to the bottom of the page. Sam's Club is right across loop 610 and Fannin.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012   #7
drs23 
Veteran

[quote=Vinny;2009012]I always park behind the Sam's Club across the freeway. They charge you to park and I forget what I paid....someone will know. I buy an all day pass for a couple of dollars (metrorail)....easy in, easy out. They keep it moving and I've never had any problems once they got it going. Done it many times.

Looks like metrorail is free this year...

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...3-6705dce2b7e8

Exactly, that's what caught my eye.

Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2012   #8
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 36798 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

The ride there isn't bad it's the ride back depending if you have a bunch of drunken people on the train that becomes a possible issue. Otherwise it's fine, park downtown and ride it back and it's 20 min easy ride.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #9
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Experience riding Metrorail to Texans games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
The ride there isn't bad it's the ride back depending if you have a bunch of drunken people on the train that becomes a possible issue. Otherwise it's fine, park downtown and ride it back and it's 20 min easy ride.
If you don't mind the extra ride, there is on street (free) parking downtown near McGowan.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 375231 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I park at Herman Park and catch the rail to games. You have to walk a bit from Fannin, but it's through the Orange Lot and they are always having lots of fun. Get there early enough and you can make it to the nice folks at the Blue Crew.

After the game, they bring in extra buses that stop at the same stops to help ease congestion.
Old 09-10-2012   #11
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149260 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

It's $ 1.35 each way I think. It's quick and pretty efficient, but on game days expect it to be crowded.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #12
J7R7wilson
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 J7R7wilson is a quality contributor and well respectedJ7R7wilson is a quality contributor and well respectedJ7R7wilson is a quality contributor and well respectedJ7R7wilson is a quality contributor and well respectedJ7R7wilson is a quality contributor and well respectedJ7R7wilson is a quality contributor and well respectedJ7R7wilson is a quality contributor and well respectedJ7R7wilson is a quality contributor and well respectedJ7R7wilson is a quality contributor and well respectedJ7R7wilson is a quality contributor and well respectedJ7R7wilson is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
It's $ 1.35 each way I think. It's quick and pretty efficient, but on game days expect it to be crowded.
Its free to ride on gameday...they wife works in the medical center on fannin...so we parked in her garage she uses for work for free then rode to the stadium yesterday...we tailgat in the blue lot every game and it is about a half mile walk from the rail stop at the stadium to the blue lot...Ryan you are correct about parking near downtown for free on the street on Sundays...it's not a bad ride from there...20 minutes or so

Card carrying member of RED SOX NATION
J7R7wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Wouldn't it be great if the rail went to the Woodlands?

I don't live in Houston, but I would imagine the rail would be great for getting to the farther parts of Houston, Clear Lake maybe, Kemah....
Old 09-10-2012   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 375231 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I've taken it to several games over the past couple of years, and it's never been so crowded that there wasn't a place to sit.

Besides, it's a blast to ride with fellow fans who are as hyped as I am about going to the game.
Old 09-10-2012   #15
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I rode the rail yesterday from/to downtown. I had a great experience. It's free and it was nice for a last bit of cheering for the Texans.
Old 09-11-2012   #16
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 468 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected

I've ridden the lightrail for the last 5 years or so to the games. It's a great way to get in and out, and lets you avoid traffic coming out of the stadium.

You can either park somewhere north of Reliant along the line and try to get free parking that way (most of downtown is free parking on Sunday), or you can park on Fannin South, which costs $15 this year (up from $10 last year).

I feel the $15 is worth it. Reliant is the second to last stop going southbound, and Fannin South is literally the last stop. So when the game is over, EVERYBODY else is going one direction, and you are going the other. This way, it's faster to use the lightrail to get to your car.

My only complaint is it lets you out on the opposite side of the stadium from my tailgate (blue platinum). Sad face.
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #17
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Wouldn't it be great if the rail went to the Woodlands?

I don't live in Houston, but I would imagine the rail would be great for getting to the farther parts of Houston, Clear Lake maybe, Kemah....
yeah...they should have built rail all the way from Galveston you would figure....go look at 45 south most days.....lol
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #18
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112mn View Post
yeah...they should have built rail all the way from Galveston you would figure....go look at 45 south most days.....lol
I actually don't like light rail, it is too expensive to build. It works ok on its current route, I guess. But I would like to see commuter cars put on existing rail lines that parallel 45.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read