Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-11-2012   #41
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Do we have a Super Bowl team or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
After one game, I think verdict is still out. We need to see a complete dominance of the "next team up."
I thought we looked as good as any other team out there, better than most... until I saw the Ravens.

To me, it looked like the Bengals just ran out of gas. They were right there with them until the last few minutes of the third qtr. The Ravens were pretty impressive, even though they gave up 129 yards on the ground & 322 yards total. Ray Rice only gained 68 yards on the ground. But he only carried the ball 10 times.

But I think we said the same thing early last season, then the Ravens ran out of gas. Let's see what happens this year.

Cincinnati also looked very good at times. I think they are in the same position as we are (other than being favored in our division). They had high expectations coming into the season, but it was gut check time yesterday & I'm sure they didn't like what they saw. Overall they played well, but there are more areas that need addressing than they thought.... just my take.
Old 09-11-2012   #42
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

as the season moves along, teams change. We've all seen this to many times now. Let's revisit this in NFL Week 10, then the smoke will be more cleared.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #43
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Rep Power: 5440 mootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respected

Isn't this too early to discuss SB? Worry about the season/divison 1st! The AFC South is getting more competative, so the Texans window is open this season, but next season?
mootini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootini View Post
Isn't this too early to discuss SB? Worry about the season/divison 1st! The AFC South is getting more competative, so the Texans window is open this season, but next season?
Really?? I feel a Denny Green moment coming on.

Old 09-11-2012   #45
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71089 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
See on "Texanstalk" We can gladly talk about the superbowl, and isnt it a little to early to be talking competition in the AFC South next season
Old 09-11-2012   #46
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75474 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I thought we looked as good as any other team out there, better than most... until I saw the Ravens.

To me, it looked like the Bengals just ran out of gas. They were right there with them until the last few minutes of the third qtr. The Ravens were pretty impressive, even though they gave up 129 yards on the ground & 322 yards total. Ray Rice only gained 68 yards on the ground. But he only carried the ball 10 times.

But I think we said the same thing early last season, then the Ravens ran out of gas. Let's see what happens this year.

Cincinnati also looked very good at times. I think they are in the same position as we are (other than being favored in our division). They had high expectations coming into the season, but it was gut check time yesterday & I'm sure they didn't like what they saw. Overall they played well, but there are more areas that need addressing than they thought.... just my take.
2 quick things on the Ravens....

1) Its Flacco. He looks great one week then just craps the bed the next. Never forget Jacoby Jones either....

2) Suggs is still out and no matter how much everyone sucks at the teet of Ray Lewis/Ed Reed they wont play the entire season. One week in and Reed already has a messed up hammy.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #47
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans going to the Super Bowl? LOL!

Yeah. Riiight!

Maybe someday after I'm in the the broadcast booth, but now? Keep dreamin.

- Peyton Manning -
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #48
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4782 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post

It's the Bengals..the same team that the Texans, with a 3rd string QB and a 3 game slide came in and beat pretty handily...I wouldn't expect much different if we were to play them with a healthy Shaub and AJ....Except Kubiak pumps the breaks once we go up by 20.
Old 09-11-2012   #49
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
It's the Bengals..the same team that the Texans, with a 3rd string QB and a 3 game slide came in and beat pretty handily...I wouldn't expect much different if we were to play them with a healthy Shaub and AJ....Except Kubiak pumps the breaks once we go up by 20.
I wish they were the Dolphins & we can expect to beat them every year, but I don't think that's the case. The Bengals aren't a gimme.

I think we've got a nice string of wins against them, but I don't think we've got their number by any means.
Old 09-11-2012   #50
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Depends on one's perception I guess. I wanted winning season & got that. Then wanted a championship & got that; with this roster & our division a chmpionship is not enough for me. As players have said, the goal is Super Bowl so it is my goal also. It is not too early to evaluate your team. You simply adjust your eval weekly. I do that with my mocks. You may be one of those fans who just watch a game for the fun, beer, food and companionship. That is cool but not me.

I watch for flaws and strengths and decisions by coaches and players. I enjoy working the cap and salaries & watching college games to create mocks and trades. At this point I am not worried at all.
Old 09-11-2012   #51
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Depends on one's perception I guess. I wanted winning season & got that. Then wanted a championship & got that; with this roster & our division a chmpionship is not enough for me. As players have said, the goal is Super Bowl so it is my goal also. It is not too early to evaluate your team. You simply adjust your eval weekly. I do that with my mocks. You may be one of those fans who just watch a game for the fun, beer, food and companionship. That is cool but not me.

I watch for flaws and strengths and decisions by coaches and players. I enjoy working the cap and salaries & watching college games to create mocks and trades. At this point I am not worried at all.
If we talk about SB as most definite then I don't see it because the season is long. Injuries can deflate a team.

If we talk about whether the Texans have the personnel and the continuity of proven offensive and defensive systems to be a strong contender for the SB, then yes.

We are really solid across the board. I've read a lot of evaluations from different sources.

The key is to stay healthy and to improve some more in certain areas that need improving.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #52
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry but we lack the elite qb to get a superbowl. In the playoffs schaub will have have to make pinpoint throws under pressure. Hadn't seen it so far and no reason to think he can elevate his game. He is our weak link and we just extended him. We will make playoffs but I will not bet my house on schaub vs Peyton, Brady, or ravens. Would you? Would you bet him to beat any of those in consecutive weeks. Then win a superbowl? I'll stick with my house. Say what you want but he will be at Denver, at Detroit, at the jets, at new England then home vs Rodgers and ravens.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #53
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52329 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans had Matt Schaub in January instead of TJ Yates, we would have been in the AFC Championship game.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #54
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Way to early to say if we're SB bound.

You have to assess the team by the time the playoffs start. We can be the best team all season long, but if we limp into the playoffs with some bad injuries and a lack of momentum, then it can all end fairly easily.

The patriots looked unstoppable two seasons ago where some people felt that Brady was having an even better season then he had when he threw for 50 TD's. They got beaten by the Jets team that they destroyed a few games earlier in the season.

The Titans had that great season where they had the best record in the NFL as well a few yrs ago and fell flat in the post season.

The Giants had poor seasons both times they won the SB, but once the playoffs came they were as ready as a team could be and they beat everyone when they weren't favored in almost all of those match ups.

You have to be hitting on all cylinders when heading into the post season. UNfortunately last season we were not due to injuries. Hopefully this time around we'll be healthier and have a lot of momentum. We'll also be facing tougher teams this time around.

Texans
Broncos
Ravens/Steelers/Bengals (WHo Knows)
Patriots
Insert Wildcard here.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #55
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
If the Texans had Matt Schaub in January instead of TJ Yates, we would have been in the AFC Championship game.
I hear people say that, but we will never know.

As for this season, I don't think that this team is near as close to Super Bowl quality as people think. The good thing is that they will have their chance to prove themselves on the field.

As for the next couple of weeks, I think that there is a good chance that we will be 1-2 after the Broncos game.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #56
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4782 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Just not sure I've ever seen a conservative coach hoist the Lombardi...but I could be wrong. All things considered, We absolutely have a shot if Kubiak will step on throats when throats need to be stepped on come playoff time. Never give a playoff team a chance...ever.
Old 09-12-2012   #57
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
Just not sure I've ever seen a conservative coach hoist the Lombardi...but I could be wrong. All things considered, We absolutely have a shot if Kubiak will step on throats when throats need to be stepped on come playoff time. Never give a playoff team a chance...ever.
Plenty of them:

Tomlin and Cowher (Steelers)

Brian Billick (Ravens)

Shanahan twice (Broncos with Kubiak as OC)

Joe Gibbs 3 times (Washington in 1991 for example, had the most rushing attempts in the league that year and the Hogs defense)

Seifert several times(Niners with Shanahan as OC and Kubiak as QB coach in a WCO in 1994)

Bill Parcels twice (Giants)

Jimmy Johnson twice (Cowboys - he may be flamboyant, but he relied on a good rushing game - in those two years, the Cowboys actually had 5 games in which they had more rushing yards than passing yards)

Mike Dikta (Bears had most rushing attempts in 1985)

Bill Walsh several (Niners - one of the grand-fathers of the WCO)

Tom Flores twice (Raiders 1983 with 542 rushing attempts - in both the Championship game and the SB, the Raiders had more rushing yards than passing yards)

Chuck Knoll several (Steelers)

Tom Landry twice (Cowboys)

John Madden (Raiders 1976 won the conf championship game over the Steelers by putting up 157 yards on the ground and just 63 passing yards)

Don Shula twice (Dolphins in 1973 ran almost twice as much as pass - 507/256 - and 613/259 in the previous year)

Hank Stram (Chiefs with the #1 rushing team in the league - both in attempts and yardage)

Weeb Ewbank (Jets had the #3 rushing team in attempts and the #1 defense in yardage)

Both Lombardi's SB teams also ranked high in number of rushing attempts (#3 and #4) and had a great defense. In 1967, GB won 33-14 with 160 rushing yards and 162 passing yards in the SB)
Old 09-12-2012   #58
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
Sorry but we lack the elite qb to get a superbowl. In the playoffs schaub will have have to make pinpoint throws under pressure. Hadn't seen it so far and no reason to think he can elevate his game. He is our weak link and we just extended him. We will make playoffs but I will not bet my house on schaub vs Peyton, Brady, or ravens. Would you? Would you bet him to beat any of those in consecutive weeks. Then win a superbowl? I'll stick with my house. Say what you want but he will be at Denver, at Detroit, at the jets, at new England then home vs Rodgers and ravens.
Most ridiculous thing I've read in a while. Thanks for the comic relief.

I'm not the biggest Schaub fan ever, but the guy is a really good QB. It's a good thing Schaub doesn't have to run the ball, catch his own passes and play defense by himself.

Am I taking Schaub over Brady or Rodgers????Hell No.

Am I taking the Texans over the Pack or Pats? That's a better question...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012   #59
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

I'm not the biggest Schaub fan ever, but the guy is a really good QB. It's a good thing Schaub doesn't have to run the ball, catch his own passes and play defense by himself.

Does it matter if it's the Pats or the Packs?

I take Schaub over the Pats' defense any day.

I take Schaub over the Pack's defense any day.
The Packers defense was in such a state that they used the top 6 draft picks on the D.
They were dead last in the league in defense and passing defense last year.
Old 09-12-2012   #60
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

I don't know. We keep talking about this is becoming a passing lead & we're seeing teams win the Super Bowl with the 30th ranked defense (not last year's Giants, but the two before)...

Having said that, I generally come across as a Schaub hater, but I've also commented that we haven't done a great job putting talent around him especially at the WR position. If Lestar, Keyshawn, Posey, & Iglesias can provide the quality we need at that position, who's to say Matt can't be "Manningesque"??

He does a fine job reading defenses, pre-snap adjustments, accurately delivering the ball, & taking care of the football. If he had the options Rodgers has, who knows?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read