Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-11-2012   #41
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Connor Barwin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Rick Smith said he thought the franchise tag number for Barwin would be around $9MM.
I was thinking around ~$8 when I made the post .... Sounds reasonable.

Will they pay that ?? .... There's the $8-9M question. Alldepends upon how Barwin performs this year.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #42
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe after resigning Schaub & Brown it would be too difficult to restructure more contracts to extend Barwin? All this talk about franchising players, are franchise tags cap friendly? I don't think so.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #43
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Maybe after resigning Schaub & Brown it would be too difficult to restructure more contracts to extend Barwin? All this talk about franchising players, are franchise tags cap friendly? I don't think so.
In the case of an OLB ..... The franchise tag isnt so bad. Now if we are talking about a DE , that changes things.

Old 09-11-2012   #44
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
In the case of an OLB ..... The franchise tag isnt so bad. Now if we are talking about a DE , that changes things.
DE in a 4-3 or OLB in a 3-4 are interchangeable if they are elite. Question that needs to be asked, is Connor Barwin elite?

Jury is out. This is his chance to prove he is.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #45
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
He played one of the best LTs in the league, if not the best.
Long is overrated IMO, not as good as our guy.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #46
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Long is overrated IMO, not as good as our guy.
There was talk that Miami was going to let him walk .
Old 09-11-2012   #47
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
The reason Wade drafted Mercilus is to keep a fresh rotation of strong pass rushers. .
The reason we drafted Mercilus is because he's a pass rusher. Connor, not so much. A solid DE, SOLB maybe. But he's no "pass rusher"

Mario Williams was on his way to a 16+ sack season in Wade's system. Demarcus Ware was continuously at the top of the league, in Wade's system.

The WOLB position in Wade's system is like a RB in Kubiak's system, you've got to have the right guys there & Connor (though he's a damn good football player) is not that guy.

If Connor gets 15+ sacks this season, then I'm wrong & would love to see it. I just don't see it happening.

We need a solid rotation of pass rushers, no doubt. But Connor is not the main event. Merci might be.
Old 09-11-2012   #48
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
He played one of the best LTs in the league, if not the best.
That's strange, since some Miami fans are wondering if he's a bust...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #49
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
That's strange, since some Miami fans are wondering if he's a bust...
Well, he's gone to the Pro Bowl four times (in four years), and made All Pro for the 2010 season, so I'm wondering if some of the Miami fans aren't just a little bit unrealistic/biased in their evaluations. You can argue about whether he's one of the best in the game, but to argue that he is a bust is moronic.

That said, I thought at the time and I still think they should have taken Matt Ryan instead of Long.
Old 09-11-2012   #50
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
DE in a 4-3 or OLB in a 3-4 are interchangeable if they are elite. Question that needs to be asked, is Connor Barwin elite?

True, but there's a bit of difference in the Tag numbers.

Here are the 2012 tag amounts:

Quarterback: $14.436 million
Running back: $7.742 million
Wide receiver: $9.515 million
Tight end: $5.446 million
Offensive line: $9.383 million
Defensive end: $10.605 million
Defensive tackle: $7.96 million
Linebacker: $8.856 million
Cornerback: $10.281 million
Safety: $6.212 million
Kicker/Punter: $2.654 million
Old 09-11-2012   #51
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Well, he's gone to the Pro Bowl four times (in four years), and made All Pro for the 2010 season, so I'm wondering if some of the Miami fans aren't just a little bit unrealistic/biased in their evaluations. You can argue about whether he's one of the best in the game, but to argue that he is a bust is moronic.

That said, I thought at the time and I still think they should have taken Matt Ryan instead of Long.
I was poking fun at Mia fans....

Couldn't believe that someone started a thread on their board wondering if he was a bust...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012   #52
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Yes , they are interchangable .... but not according to the franchise tag numbers as would have been the case for MW last season.

From what I understand , the franchise tag pays 120% of the previous years salary or the average of the top five players at the players position - Whichever is greater.

That number for MW was in the ~$8m range if I recall correctly(off the top of my head) .... but because of his $18m in previous years salary , the tag would have cost ~$21m which made it impossible to use the tag on him.

$8m for one season spent on Barwin wouldnt upset me terribly if they had to use the tag.

EDIT

Dan Explained it better (MSR) .... Didnt see this as I stopped to respond to your post before reading the rest of the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
True, but there's a bit of difference in the Tag numbers.

Here are the 2012 tag amounts:

Quarterback: $14.436 million
Running back: $7.742 million
Wide receiver: $9.515 million
Tight end: $5.446 million
Offensive line: $9.383 million
Defensive end: $10.605 million
Defensive tackle: $7.96 million
Linebacker: $8.856 million
Cornerback: $10.281 million
Safety: $6.212 million
Kicker/Punter: $2.654 million

Old 09-11-2012   #53
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Barwin gets franchised if they cant work something out ....
That's a really interesting point that I didn't think out too well. With Schaub, signed, sealed and delivered this is a distinct possibility. Where did you come up with that????

At the end of the day, Barwin would be a relatively cheap "franchise player" compared to say Dumbta, no? Or Schaub for that matter (if they didn't choose to extend him), no??
Old 09-11-2012   #54
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes , they are interchangable .... but not according to the franchise tag numbers as would have been the case for MW last season.

From what I understand , the franchise tag pays 120% of the previous years salary or the average of the top five players at the players position - Whichever is greater.

That number for MW was in the ~$8m range if I recall correctly(off the top of my head) .... but because of his $18m in previous years salary , the tag would have cost ~$21m which made it impossible to use the tag on him.

$8m for one season spent on Barwin wouldnt upset me terribly if they had to use the tag.

EDIT

Dan Explained it better (MSR) .... Didnt see this as I stopped to respond to your post before reading the rest of the thread.
If Mercilus and Brooks are what Phillips thinks they are we would be foolish to pay anywhere near that for Barwin unless he sacks over 18 & probably not then. Let him go if we have to cap him at more than $5m first year. Reed, Mercilus and Devin Taylor would keep cost down & productivity high. Taylor a DE switches to OLB. 6'7" 267lbs

Taylor all star candidate for South Carolina has played in 39 games over the past three seasons making 32 starts... credited with 116 tackles, 27.0 tackles for loss, 15.5 sacks and 19 quarterback hurries... ranks among the Gamecocks' career top-10 in both sacks (tied for 5th) and tackles for loss (tied for 9th)... earned All-SEC honors in each of the past two http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sport...00.htmlseasons.
Old 09-11-2012   #55
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
That's a really interesting point that I didn't think out too well. With Schaub, signed, sealed and delivered this is a distinct possibility. Where did you come up with that????

At the end of the day, Barwin would be a relatively cheap "franchise player" compared to say Dumbta, no? Or Schaub for that matter (if they didn't choose to extend him), no??
You know where I got that idea .... I pulled it outa my ass

Dan posted the list of tag values above for players who fall within the top five average rule. Barwin would fall there as his salary is nowhere near that now.

What made MW untagable was the value on the final year of his deal being so rich .... tagging him would have meant paying 120% of that final years salary.
We had a sticky thread with player salary's but its no longer stickied.
I dont know offhand what Schaubs salary is for this season but I believe he would have fallen into the top 5 rule prior to his extension making his tag number ~$14m.

Dont recall what Dunta's situation was ....

Can one of the mods resticky the salary thread ?! Or maybe someone can post an updated list.

Old 09-12-2012   #56
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If Mercilus and Brooks are what Phillips thinks they are we would be foolish to pay anywhere near that for Barwin unless he sacks over 18 & probably not then. Let him go if we have to cap him at more than $5m first year. Reed, Mercilus and Devin Taylor would keep cost down & productivity high. Taylor a DE switches to OLB. 6'7" 267lbs
I agree in as much as Barwin's number needs to be in line for what he is, his production, vs his "potential" we don't need to overpay him, just because we know someone will as a FA.

Like I said earlier, he's really a SOLB in a 3-4, playing the pass rusher (3-4) position at WOLB. & that should be taken into account. I may be wrong about who he is & I'm fine with that. If he proves me wrong & put up premier pass rushing numbers..... 15+ then pay him, tag him. But if he can't get 15 sacks in Wade's system, let someone else pay him.

However, I don't want to draft another 1st round pass rusher. We can't keep doing that & continue to build a solid well balanced team.

Ω
Old 09-13-2012   #57
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Excellent article on the Jags LT Eugene Monroe dominating the Vikings Jared Allen last Sunday. Barwin will have his hands full this weekend.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...-machine-allen

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012   #58
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80683 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Excellent article on the Jags LT Eugene Monroe dominating the Vikings Jared Allen last Sunday. Barwin will have his hands full this weekend.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...-machine-allen
Barwin will, but luckily the Jags will be forced to start Guy Whimper so JJ Watt will probably have a field day. Whimper absolutely sucks and we destroyed him last year.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012   #59
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I agree in as much as Barwin's number needs to be in line for what he is, his production, vs his "potential" we don't need to overpay him, just because we know someone will as a FA.

Like I said earlier, he's really a SOLB in a 3-4, playing the pass rusher (3-4) position at WOLB. & that should be taken into account. I may be wrong about who he is & I'm fine with that. If he proves me wrong & put up premier pass rushing numbers..... 15+ then pay him, tag him. But if he can't get 15 sacks in Wade's system, let someone else pay him.

However, I don't want to draft another 1st round pass rusher. We can't keep doing that & continue to build a solid well balanced team.

Ω
I'm ok with drafting OLBs fairly high as we are lowering the age but keeping experience. Barwin gets increased sacks under Wade's system just like Reed and Merci will. 2013 Reed will be in 3rd year & Mercilus second at 26 and 23. Reed has 3 years left topping out in 2014 at $1m and WHitney three more with cap hit of slightly over $2m each. Let Barwin go (unless cost is right) and draft another OLB (mine in 3rd) & you have two vets that basically have to just turn it lose after the QB and a rookie breaking in. I think that is a seasoned well balanced team. OLBs don't take years to develop like QBs, LT or CBs.
Old 09-23-2012   #60
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2094 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected

According to Pro Football Weekly, the Texans are considering using the franchise tag on OLB Connor Barwin this offseason.

The Texans gave Matt Schaub a $30 million extension after sides reportedly "hit a snag" before the start of the regular season. Barwin, an unrestricted free agent, will need to be franchised if a long-term deal can't be reached. With Schaub and LT Duane Brown recently signed, the Texans don't have any other obvious candidates with expiring contracts. The franchise tender for outside linebackers was $8.8 million in 2012.
Source: Pro Football Weekly Sep 22 - 7:58 PM
Bleed_Blu_Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read