Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-27-2012   #161
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The improbable improvement of Kareem Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo orlando View Post
Other teams clearly target KJ in their gameplans, the guys he's covering consistently make big catches, and he rarely comes up with big plays like drive-killing PD's, ints, or tackles.

I have no doubt that he doesn't look as bad on tape as his rep would suggest. Unfortunately, his rep is that he's maybe the worst starting corner in the league so there's a lot of margin there. Sure, there's always sneaky good players that you don't always notice while watching the game live (Antonio Smith for example), but is that really the case here or are we just talking about a player who's "not that bad?"
What makes you think his rep is the worst starting corner in the league? I have never ever heard anyone say that (except from a few KJ haters on this board). You must not watch much football... there's ALOT of starting corners in the league that are worse.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #162
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Other teams clearly target KJ in their gameplans, the guys he's covering consistently make big catches, and he rarely comes up with big plays like drive-killing PD's, ints, or tackles.

I have no doubt that he doesn't look as bad on tape as his rep would suggest. Unfortunately, his rep is that he's maybe the worst starting corner in the league so there's a lot of margin there. Sure, there's always sneaky good players that you don't always notice while watching the game live (Antonio Smith for example), but is that really the case here or are we just talking about a player who's "not that bad?"
Oh course there going to target him, J-Joseph is a top 3 CB. Wade seems to think that he's pretty good, so I don't know how he can be the worst CB in the league...
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #163
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
What makes you think his rep is the worst starting corner in the league? I have never ever heard anyone say that (except from a few KJ haters on this board). You must not watch much football... there's ALOT of starting corners in the league that are worse.
No, I see much worse corners every week.

pfft.... Drayton Florence.. pssh....
Old 08-27-2012   #164
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
No, I see much worse corners every week.

pfft.... Drayton Florence.. pssh....
Hell, is our memory that short? We've had much worse corners starting for us. Faggins? Bennett? Kareem last year was like Revis compared to those 2.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #165
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Only game I recall KJ having a bad day was .... the Aints. But Brees does that to a lotta guy's. He's just a special player.
Kj was much better last year, but he wasn't great against the ravens either time but both he and Joseph were better the second time when wade had Kareem covering the more physical Boldin and Joseph covering the more speedy wr's.

Also, when we played the falcons Kareem was pulled until Jason Allen got hurt on that last drive. I think at that point every pass or just about every pass went to Julio jones whom Kareem was covering, including the much talked about last pass into the endzone. The did Kareem cause the drop or not pass.

Also, Kareem wasn't a full time player last year. Not as many chances to do well or to mess up.

So far, Kareem has been an improved player. He looks different on the field. More confident.

But this year it looks like he'll be s full time starter and I think we'll be able to get an even more clear idea of what Kareem's ceiling might be.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #166
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think other teams going after kj has more to do with him and manning being on the same side a bunch and Joseph and Quinn being on the other side.

I don't think he's the worst starting corner in the league though.

I think we need to give him more time. Last year was basically his rookie year IMO. This is year two.

Let's wait and see what he does this year.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #167
bo orlando
Veteran

Rep Power: 1426 bo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
show me a texans preview for this year that DOESN'T mention KJ as a liability. i don't personally think he's the worst, but my point is that he's shown himself to be a mediocre player and i don't understand the apologists. people mention how wade likes him, okay so why did he specifically scheme last year to protect KJ, either by platooning him with Allen or by rolling coverage to his side of the field? coaches don't do that with good players.

maybe he takes a leap forward this year. that would be awesome, but color me cautious.
bo orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #168
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Kj was much better last year, but he wasn't great against the ravens either time but both he and Joseph were better the second time when wade had Kareem covering the more physical Boldin and Joseph covering the more speedy wr's.

Also, when we played the falcons Kareem was pulled until Jason Allen got hurt on that last drive. I think at that point every pass or just about every pass went to Julio jones whom Kareem was covering, including the much talked about last pass into the endzone. The did Kareem cause the drop or not pass.

Also, Kareem wasn't a full time player last year. Not as many chances to do well or to mess up.

So far, Kareem has been an improved player. He looks different on the field. More confident.

But this year it looks like he'll be s full time starter and I think we'll be able to get an even more clear idea of what Kareem's ceiling might be.
^^^^
This

The clear thought of KJ's ceiling should be down right scary for Texans fans. Considering they play Brady/Rodgers/Stafford/Cutler/Flacco etc....

There aint no Campbell/Moore/McCoy/Tebows on the schedule this yr.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #169
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
show me a texans preview for this year that DOESN'T mention KJ as a liability. i don't personally think he's the worst, but my point is that he's shown himself to be a mediocre player and i don't understand the apologists. people mention how wade likes him, okay so why did he specifically scheme last year to protect KJ, either by platooning him with Allen or by rolling coverage to his side of the field? coaches don't do that with good players.

maybe he takes a leap forward this year. that would be awesome, but color me cautious.
Didn't you watch the Saints game?

Phil Simms mentioned that KJ is a much improved players.

About scheming, you get it all backward.
KJ was left on an island more than Allen.
When both KJ was on the field, he was treated as an equal to JJo by the scheme.

In fact, JJo might have had a hair more help (as he was covering the number 1 receiver).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #170
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
^^^^
This

The clear thought of KJ's ceiling should be down right scary for Texans fans. Considering they play Brady/Rodgers/Stafford/Cutler/Flacco etc....

There aint no Campbell/Moore/McCoy/Tebows on the schedule this yr.
Some of these guys will get their numbers.
I ain't worry about it.
Old 09-10-2012   #171
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

If anyone could please look at 14:08 in the 2nd qtr & tell me what you think.

We've got Anthony Armstrong (cut from Washingto) covered by Jjo... Looks like man coverage with safety help over the top. Tannehill throws the ball a little high, with maybe a little extra effort, Armstrong could have caught the ball.

A little more awareness, Manning could have intercepted the ball.

My big problem here, is that Armstrong is "wide open" It's 3rd & 13, why does Jjo bite on a short route & not play his man?

I know it's not KJack, but I didn't want to start a new thread just for this.
Old 09-10-2012   #172
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Just me I guess but I think KJ did pretty well. I must qualify this saying I missed first quarter but he did not give up a TD when I was not watching. Depending on his next game play, I will probably removes corner from my 2013 mock and that would be a huge compliment for Jackson.
Old 09-10-2012   #173
kwayshauntay
Veteran

Rep Power: 832 kwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought he did okay.

In the first half his good coverage forced an overthrow on a deep ball.

He also made a nice break on an out route, got both hands on the ball and nearly had a pick.

And of course he cleaned up JJ Watt's deflection for a pick.

But in the second half Heartline caught a deep ball past him because he once again failed to turn his head to locate the ball.

I think there was another instance where he did the same thing, failed to turn his head on a deep ball, but it fell incomplete.

Baby steps, I guess.
kwayshauntay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #174
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwayshauntay View Post
I thought he did okay.

In the first half his good coverage forced an overthrow on a deep ball.

He also made a nice break on an out route, got both hands on the ball and nearly had a pick.

And of course he cleaned up JJ Watt's deflection for a pick.

But in the second half Heartline caught a deep ball past him because he once again failed to turn his head to locate the ball.

I think there was another instance where he did the same thing, failed to turn his head on a deep ball, but it fell incomplete.

Baby steps, I guess.
I had mentioned a situation like this already in a different thread.
(Moore's TD catch in the Saint PS game).

When the DB is in the trail position, he cannot afford to turn his head.
He will only lose separation from the receiver.
Look at some of AJ's catches.

I would have liked for KJ put on a jam on this play to get the receiver closer to the side line.
Old 09-10-2012   #175
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

I would have liked for KJ put on a jam on this play to get the receiver closer to the side line.
Jamming has not been his strong suit but he did seem to play more confidently so maybe he is getting better and can become a bump & run CB
Old 09-10-2012   #176
kwayshauntay
Veteran

Rep Power: 832 kwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

Not true. I watched Chris Culliver do it vs the Packers a couple of times. I notice these things now because every time I see a CB do it, I think, wow, why can't our 1st round pick Kareeem do that?
kwayshauntay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #177
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Not true. I watched Chris Culliver do it vs the Packers a couple of times. I notice these things now because every time I see a CB do it, I think, wow, why can't our 1st round pick Kareeem do that?
I'd be sure to check that game out.

On the other thread, I noted 4 different plays in the same game in which neither Manning, Quin, nor Bradie James turned their head around while in the same position.

I had the time of the plays as well as the down and distance for everybody to check.

When you trail only slightly and you have the receiver pinned to the side line, yeah, then it's a good idea to turn you head; otherwise, you're inviting trouble.
Old 09-10-2012   #178
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42947 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

KJ is a solid CB in the NFL. I would compare him to Marcus Colman.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #179
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Going to disagree with you on a trailer turning his head. Culliver was my boy in pre-draft mocks but in most situations, I want my DB catching up not looking for ball. Doesn't matter where ball is if he is a couple steps behind.
Old 09-10-2012   #180
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

The footage that I noticed KJ on, I was pleasantly surprised. I thought that he was making pretty good breaks to the ball and was showing pretty strong recovery skills that have improved. Basing this off of one game of course, so don't take this as 100% correct. For all we know KJ will get burned by some rookie next week. But right now he played a pretty strong game in week one.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read