Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-10-2012   #21
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: Connor Barwin?

He played one of the best LTs in the league, if not the best.
Old 09-10-2012   #22
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
He played one of the best LTs in the league, if not the best.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner. I find it amazing how many people on here want to find fault with our own players. It's fine to bring up some concerns, but there are more negative threads on the front page than positive threads. What would it be like around here if we had lost?

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #23
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to see Barwin move inside with Cushing, replacing an aging Bradie James in terms of what I'd like to see long term -- for years to come. Then Whitney Mercilus can start at outside. Tell me why Barwin can't play ILB again? Why can't he take on the position if he dedicated himself to it?
Old 09-10-2012   #24
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2095 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
I would like to see Barwin move inside with Cushing, replacing an aging Bradie James in terms of what I'd like to see long term -- for years to come. Then Whitney Mercilus can start at outside. Tell me why Barwin can't play ILB again? Why can't he take on the position if he dedicated himself to it?
If that's the case I would much rather put Brooks Reed at MLB and just have Merc and Barwin outside.
Bleed_Blu_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #25
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
They also hit on a couple of UDFAs.... I think we need to get to tha point, or at least have Reed repeat his rookie year, before we go discarding decent/good players.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/ful...3900&type=team

They have draft 8 LBs since 2007 .
Old 09-10-2012   #26
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I love Barwin, and at this time he is NOT EXPENDABLE. If Mercilous picks it up and starts showing that he is a total beast, then that may be a possibility, but until we see that Barwin is a big time player here that is a NEED for this defense.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #27
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Rep Power: 2095 Bleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respectedBleed_Blu_Red is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I love Barwin, and at this time he is NOT EXPENDABLE. If Mercilous picks it up and starts showing that he is a total beast, then that may be a possibility, but until we see that Barwin is a big time player here that is a NEED for this defense.
Agreed its to early to judge Barwin off one game when last year he showed what he can do.
Old 09-10-2012   #28
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed_Blu_Red View Post
Agreed its to early to judge Barwin off one game when last year he showed what he can do.
I can't even believe that people are thinking this right now. I love these pass rushers on our team. With this type of pass rush, we'll be a competitive team for a long time. We won't need an elite offense. This is a nasty defense that we have been begging for all these years. Barwin is a huge part of that. He has earned his stripes and I love that guy on this team. I hope we resign him.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #29
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Top notch pass rushers get paid well and the Texans may not be able to meet his demands .
Old 09-10-2012   #30
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

3rd Youngest defense in the League. Agreed cant ever have too many Pass Rushers especially the group we have so let's hope we get the deal done for Barwin.
Old 09-10-2012   #31
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Barwin's the best pure pass rusher on this team .... If you want to move someone inside , its Reed ..... making room for Mercilus outside.

I just cant see Barwin trying to chase backs and TE's in coverage ..... Reed on the other hand ....

That doesnt solve the contract of Barwin tho .... I think they work out a longterm deal or franchise him now that Schaub and Brown are done deals.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #32
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

The reason Wade drafted Mercilus is to keep a fresh rotation of strong pass rushers. That's how the Giants have beaten one of the best QB's in history in two Superbowls. That said, Barwin's value will soar in the offseason, and he won't be a Texan next year. And good for him on his future wealth, which was jeopardized after his ankle injury in 2010.

But for that reason, we're probably taking another OLB in the 1st or 2nd round next year.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #33
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He didn't say bulking up would slow him down. I said a lot of people blamed his weight gain for the reason he hasn't been effective so far. I can't say anything about it I haven't really watched him I think he will be fine but we will see.
Barwin said in a interview that he was concerned that the added weight might reduce his explosiveness. Since that interview I've been watching him closely and it does look like it has affected him. He should be at 255-260 IMO.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #34
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
Barwin said in a interview that he was concerned that the added weight might reduce his explosiveness. Since that interview I've been watching him closely and it does look like it has affected him. He should be at 255-260 IMO.
Ok my bad do you have the video or a link?
Old 09-10-2012   #35
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
The reason Wade drafted Mercilus is to keep a fresh rotation of strong pass rushers. That's how the Giants have beaten one of the best QB's in history in two Superbowls. That said, Barwin's value will soar in the offseason, and he won't be a Texan next year. And good for him on his future wealth, which was jeopardized after his ankle injury in 2010.

But for that reason, we're probably taking another OLB in the 1st or 2nd round next year.
If they didnt have the franchise tag option ..... I'd tend to agree with you here that he would be gone. But we're talking about an OLB rather than a DE so his tagnumber will be kept down because of that .... enabling the Texans to either negotiate a long term deal (Barwin understands the importance because of the prior injury) or tag him for a one year deal.

My money is on them coming to amutual agreement.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #36
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ok my bad do you have the video or a link?
No, he called into a radio station and it got mentioned.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #37
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
No, he called into a radio station and it got mentioned.
Hmm alright have to check up on it myself.
Old 09-10-2012   #38
Bleed_Blu_Red
Veteran

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/art...les-south.html

Wade Phillips says it himself the weight hasn't affected him and he is just as athletic as before.

"He's going to run people down from behind, he's got to just keep doing what he's doing," Phillips said of Barwin. "He worked hard this offseason. He's fast, he's athletic."

"He went in, did such a great job last year, against really good people," defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said. "He was always playing against the left tackle in passing situations, most of the time. The sky's the limit for him. He's about 270 pounds and he's a really good athlete."
Old 09-10-2012   #39
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

That said, I hope the Texans can somehow get really..... REALLY creative and get him re-signed!!
Franchise Tag - if they think he is an asset they will keep for at least one more year.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #40
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
If they didnt have the franchise tag option ..... I'd tend to agree with you here that he would be gone. But we're talking about an OLB rather than a DE so his tagnumber will be kept down because of that .... enabling the Texans to either negotiate a long term deal (Barwin understands the importance because of the prior injury) or tag him for a one year deal.

My money is on them coming to amutual agreement.
Rick Smith said he thought the franchise tag number for Barwin would be around $9MM.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read