Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-10-2012   #101
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Although we won.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
The three series of turnovers for the dolphins completely changed the game.

I felt like up until that point the game couldve gone either way.

I don't think anyone is saying we're doomed. Just pointing out that if we are going to get where we want to go we are going to have to play better football. Everyone isn't going to turn the ball over on three consecutive possessions and allow us to blow the game open.

If you listen to the players and coaches they are all saying as much.
Those were forced turnovers. That was our defense coming in and imposing its will on the other team. It wasn't a team coughing up the ball untouched; it wasn't a QB throwing the ball right at a defender.

They didn't hand the game over to us, we took it from them.

We can (and have) do that to any team, including playoff teams. I don't really get the point of all the self deprecation. We have a good team and a great defense, and that great defense won us the game. I know it's still somewhat foreign to us, but it is what it is. Accept it. Enjoy it.
Old 09-10-2012   #102
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

The last two words in this thread's Title speaks volumes!

I get it, as I read through the various concerns of improvement that could have turned a 30-10 win into a 40-10 or 50-10...whatever. I get it.. we could have seen some better play.

From my vantage point, Week 1 games are ALWAYS scary. These two teams have had a good number of weeks to gameplan for week 1. I've thought that aspect to be a Texans advantage in years past when they were the notorious underdog. Some times, the texans layed a duece(PIT'08 or JETS'09) and sometimes it all came together(MIA'03 or Indy'10). This season, in what is the Texan's first NFL wide consensus home opener as the heavy favorite in week 1, they more than covered a 14(-ish) point spread against a team that has a known good Offensive line and a very talented Defense, who had WEEKS to prep against our beloved Texans.

Say what you will about a Defense that only allowed 3 points to post on the scoreboard.

On offense:
- Matt Schaub - 20/31 for 266, a TD and no picks with a string of 10 straight completions.
- Arian Foster - 2 TD's
- Andre Johnson - 119 yds and a TD

OVERALL - NO significant INJURIES(Cush scared me a bit)

If I would have told you those numbers on offense before the game I'd love to meet a fan who would have a "sky is falling" problem with that.

Room for improvement? sure, most could/should agree. NO team in history has played a perfect game. And after 1 week, the Texans have certainly shown they have a huge upside. If not for a special teams let down, this could have been a 30-3 win or worse.

PERSPECTIVE folks...

I personally don't want to begrudge anyone their right to panic or get ulcers whenever the Texans win or lose. Enjoy the season how you see fit.
Old 09-10-2012   #103
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 75856 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _superMario90_ View Post
PERSPECTIVE folks...

I personally don't want to begrudge anyone their right to panic or get ulcers whenever the Texans win or lose. Enjoy the season how you see fit.
I think there is a difference between panicking and parsing what actually happened in the game. Reading the box score and stats are one thing....analyzing the first quarter and a half is another.

I don't know that anyone is panicking yet....but quoting the final and score and stats is, IMO anyway, brushing over what actually happened early in the game. I don't think we can realistically expect the defense to force so many turnovers like that against actual good seasoned QB's.

Just pointing out the bottom line and ignoring what happened during the trip to the bottom line is not what the coaches are telling the players in meetings I bet.

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #104
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Texans ran 18 times to the left for 20 yards (1.1 yards per carry). 4 runs were negative yards, 4 others were no gain. Longest run, 7 yards.

Texans ran 12 times to the right for 58 yards (4.8 yards per carry). One negative yardage run and one no gain. Longest run 14 yards.
I'll probably rewatch the game again tomorrow. But I know on at least one play, to the right, it looked like the red sea parting (just like it did for Foster's 14 yard TD run) but Ben Tate ran up into his OL too quick. Had he waited a sec, or cut it back, that would have been 14 yards at least.

Newton impressed yesterday.
Old 09-10-2012   #105
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Those were forced turnovers. That was our defense coming in and impsing its will on the other team. It wasn't a team coughing up the ball untouched; it wasn't a QB throwing the ball right at a defender.

They didn't hand the game over to us, we took it from them.
You missed the point entirely. Doesn't matter if we forced the turnovers. Everyone isn't going to have a rookie QB that is so easily "forced" into turnovers.

That was not a top team we played and they were giving us all we could handle until that bad stretch of plays for them.

You can slice it any way you want, but if we want to win a SUPERBOWL, we need to work on some areas where we didn't perform all that well.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #106
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
I think there is a difference between panicking and parsing what actually happened in the game. Reading the box score and stats are one thing....analyzing the first quarter and a half is another.

I don't know that anyone is panicking yet....but quoting the final and score and stats is, IMO anyway, brushing over what actually happened early in the game. I don't think we can realistically expect the defense to force so many turnovers like that against actual good seasoned QB's.

Just pointing out the bottom line and ignoring what happened during the trip to the bottom line is not what the coaches are telling the players in meetings I bet.
Analyzing the first quarter and a half is fine. Disregarding the other 2.5 quarters based on that first 1.5 is unfair. Good teams adjust. People are pointing to one or two spots the Texans struggled, but like many have said, the Texans are one of, if not the most, balanced teams in the NFL. Struggle in one or two areas? Two more areas will take the slack. The offense struggling? Here, have 3 turnovers. Run defense struggling? Let's score some points and make them try to pass on us.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #107
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You missed the point entirely. Doesn't matter if we forced the turnovers. Everyone isn't going to have a rookie QB that is so easily "forced" into turnovers.

That was not a top team we played and they were giving us all we could handle until that bad stretch of plays for them.

You can slice it any way you want, but if we want to win a SUPERBOWL, we need to work on some areas where we didn't perform all that well.
I think the bolded word above is the key word here.

You said it earlier, the coaches & the team knows whats up & tomorrow their not going to be talking about the drubbing they gave Miami. It's going to be more along the lines of needing to fix a lot of things before next Sunday.

For the most part, I think everyone here understands that. We're just arguing over how much we should be enjoying the win right now.

Ω
Old 09-10-2012   #108
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 12954 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

Boy we sure are critiquing the heck out of our 30 to 10 win, I sure would hate to see the Miami boards and what they are writing about their team.
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #109
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 75856 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Analyzing the first quarter and a half is fine. Disregarding the other 2.5 quarters based on that first 1.5 is unfair. Good teams adjust. People are pointing to one or two spots the Texans struggled, but like many have said, the Texans are one of, if not the most, balanced teams in the NFL. Struggle in one or two areas? Two more areas will take the slack. The offense struggling? Here, have 3 turnovers. Run defense struggling? Let's score some points and make them try to pass on us.
I don't know that I am ignoring the other quarters of the game, but I am doubting how realistically we could expect the defense to force so many turnovers over and over to turn a game around for us especially if the team is struggling against a more "legit" team and QB if you will.

My daughter and I were jumping for joy for the W yesterday and I'm pumped for the season but I guess it comes down to your personality maybe when looking at this game?? I've usually been more of the "realist" guy that looks at what went wrong first and analyzes everything. I guess if I could see it from a glass half full/everything is fine until it falls apart mentality I would feel differently.

Dormant bodies bursting!
Old 09-10-2012   #110
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
I'm glad the players and coaches aren't thinking like that.

That wasn't a top team we were facing on the road. That was an average at best Dolphins team we played at home.

If we want to win a Superbowl we should be aiming to shore up our weak spots. Not being being oblivious or satisfied because a win is a win. I haven't seen anyone panicking, but rather pointing out that we should aim for stronger play.
Old 09-10-2012   #111
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirbroke View Post
Boy we sure are critiquing the heck out of our 30 to 10 win, I sure would hate to see the Miami boards and what they are writing about their team.
Box score is all that matters? Not what happened in that box score?

Maybe I should take this approach in viewing games and stop breaking down events in the game.

Dormant bodies bursting!
Old 09-10-2012   #112
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Parsing out, I'm on board with.. but I felt some panic in some of what I've read on this thread. Maybe it's just me translating words like "putrid" and "I'm upset with". Some call it parsing, others call it panicking.

So many, I will go along with... a little, but at the same token, trending results into expectation is bogus. This Defense will get you in so many different ways and you just won't see it coming when it does.

Spell out for us what Tannehill did that resulted in a turnover, that a "seasoned" QB would have likely avoided. To pin those picks on Tannehill as Rookie mistakes is ignoring "WATT really happened".
Old 09-10-2012   #113
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's pretty good reading material while drinking coffee and doing homework in the morning

Everybody knew the Dolphins were going to be a laughingstock if they watched Hard Knocks and they didn't disappoint. While they might've looked like they were going to hang tough until about halfway through the second quarter, they basically pulled their own version of the Rosencopter. The Texans made the plays they needed to make on defense to make a bad team look bad. While they did abandon the run game (Like most NFL coaches probably do when down by 3 TD's) I think you have to give credit to the Texans D for holding them to a fat nothing in the second half, Dolphins 4th down attempts included.

This week, it's time to do the same thing to the Jags, and hopefully clean up the things we don't like and emphasize the things they do well. I'm worried about the Jags running game, and I hope we can do Gabbert wrong like we did last year, but I am perfectly fine with the outcome and the play of this game.
Old 09-10-2012   #114
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Actually quite a few of their fans are feeling better about their team. They feel like their run defense is good. They think they could have been in the game had they 1) kicked field goals instead of going for it on fourth downs 2) not turned the ball over on those 3 consecutive possessions

Of course they do have a segment of their fans ready to burn down the stadium.
Old 09-10-2012   #115
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 12424 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Those weren't rookie turnovers. Those were J.J. Watt is a BAAAAAAAAD man turnovers.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #116
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Not very active over there today. But

Quote:
DTronic said
Told me what I figured out at the end of 2009.

That Ireland is in WAY over his head as a GM and has no idea what a football player is. He is a stat watcher. Like Al Davis was in the last 10 years.
Old 09-10-2012   #117
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm glad the players and coaches aren't thinking like that.

That wasn't a top team we were facing on the road. That was an average at best Dolphins team we played at home.

If we want to win a Superbowl we should be aiming to shore up our weak spots. Not being being oblivious or satisfied because a win is a win. I haven't seen anyone panicking, but rather pointing out that we should aim for stronger play.
Please point out to me where I said anything that you mentioned above.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #118
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _superMario90_ View Post
The last two words in this thread's Title speaks volumes!

I get it, as I read through the various concerns of improvement that could have turned a 30-10 win into a 40-10 or 50-10...whatever. I get it.. we could have seen some better play.

From my vantage point, Week 1 games are ALWAYS scary. These two teams have had a good number of weeks to gameplan for week 1. I've thought that aspect to be a Texans advantage in years past when they were the notorious underdog. Some times, the texans layed a duece(PIT'08 or JETS'09) and sometimes it all came together(MIA'03 or Indy'10). This season, in what is the Texan's first NFL wide consensus home opener as the heavy favorite in week 1, they more than covered a 14(-ish) point spread against a team that has a known good Offensive line and a very talented Defense, who had WEEKS to prep against our beloved Texans.

Say what you will about a Defense that only allowed 3 points to post on the scoreboard.

On offense:
- Matt Schaub - 20/31 for 266, a TD and no picks with a string of 10 straight completions.
- Arian Foster - 2 TD's
- Andre Johnson - 119 yds and a TD

OVERALL - NO significant INJURIES(Cush scared me a bit)

If I would have told you those numbers on offense before the game I'd love to meet a fan who would have a "sky is falling" problem with that.

Room for improvement? sure, most could/should agree. NO team in history has played a perfect game. And after 1 week, the Texans have certainly shown they have a huge upside. If not for a special teams let down, this could have been a 30-3 win or worse.

PERSPECTIVE folks...

I agree 100%
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #119
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

My daughter and I were jumping for joy for the W yesterday...
Funny thing. I took my middle daughter to the game yesterday as well. She's been to about 6 games with me so far. She was told me last year, after the Raider's game that she thinks she is bad luck, because the Texans have never won a game she attended.

Surely I thought that couldn't be right, so I quizzed her about it on the way home & sure enough, we lost every game she went to. Last week, I told her I was taking her to the Miami game. I told her there is no way we were going to lose that game. It should be a blow out.

Well, with 6 minutes left in the second quarter, Jjo intercepts Tannehill, giving us a short field for the first time in the game. We get a field goal.

So I tell my daughter, "Yup, you are definitely bad luck!!" (She's 15 so I don't think I'm scarring her for life or anything). She says, "I know right, I thought this was going to be a blow out."

Then we got the other interception, scored 7. Then another interception, scored 7 & the forced fumble (she loved that) scored 7.

24-3 at the half, she was thrilled. We didn't say anything until Matt took the final knee...... "The curse had been broken!!!"

Ω
Old 09-10-2012   #120
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Before anyone starts getting sized for Superbowl rings, it was ONLY the first game of the season. There are 17 more. It was against a new coach and a rookie QB. Let's watch them play a few more games before we get excited.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read