Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-10-2012   #81
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Although we won.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
They out talented a worse team, but they won't always have that luxury.
That's my thought. Happy for the win, but not blind to the notion that yesterday could have easily been a loss if it were against a better team. Do not ignore in victory what you would not ignore in defeat.
Old 09-10-2012   #82
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Ummm only reason they had 79 yards is cause we scored 21 points right before half. And we scored all the points off of turnovers. When it wasnt a turnover we settled for 3.

The run D would of given up MUCH more if the dolphins didnt have to play catch up the whole 2nd half.
That's all part of the game. The defense only gave up 3 points. That means Miami only threatened to score once. For a team moving the ball at will, you've got to wonder where their will went if they only threatened to score once.
Old 09-10-2012   #83
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
That's my thought. Happy for the win, but not blind to the notion that yesterday could have easily been a loss if it were against a better team. Do not ignore in victory what you would not ignore in defeat.
Agreed. We still have games left against elite teams such as the Patriots, Packers, Ravens, Lions, Bears and Broncos (in two weeks). We'll see our fair share of heartache if we don't start to show some serious improvements soon. As in, next week against the Jaguars. We should be able to spank them by 20 to 30 points if we play our A game. On the plus side, there were other strong teams who came out flat in Week 1... Saints, Lions and Eagles to name a few. At least the Texans got the "W" which is all that matters. The Lions and Eagles sneaked out wins as well. The Saints losing at home, woah baby, how did that happen? RGIII must be the real deal in Shanahan's system -- same one the Texans run.
Old 09-10-2012   #84
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
That's all part of the game. The defense only gave up 3 points. That means Miami only threatened to score once. For a team moving the ball at will, you've got to wonder where their will went if they only threatened to score once.
Huh?

Miami was in scoring position a bunch. Towards the end though they started going for it on 4th down a bunch and didn't convert any.

I think at one point they'd have only been down by 14 or so had they opted to kick field goals instead of going for it.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #85
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
I also saw a few missed tackles and I'm pretty sure Cushing was the culprit on a few of them. I don't know about Quin but I also saw McCain miss an important tackle or two.
Like I said, I have to rewatch the game, but Cush & Quin should have been in double digits.

McCain... I was a little upset with him. He didn't look himself, on one play he went for the ball (which I normally like) & missed a tackle, but he always recovered well (& quick) & stopped a catch from becoming a big play. He may be my favorite Texan soon.
Old 09-10-2012   #86
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
What is with this "easily been a loss" nonsense people are talking about? We soundly thumped them. 30-10. We executed and capitalized on both offense and defense. Andre reeled in a super TD catch. Foster punched two in. The defense kept their eyes on that ball all day long, batting it down, causing fumbles, interceptions... They had Reggie relegated to working his weak spot (some people claim he is not good up the middle). They all did their jobs. Well too.

Jeez folks. Y'all are starting to sound like Patroit fans. They're always beating their team up, even with Super Bowls.
Old 09-10-2012   #87
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
...next week against the Jaguars. We should be able to spank them by 20 to 30 points if we play our A game.
I hope we don't sleep on the Jags. They're going to be like Miami x3

MJD > Reggie Bush

JagsD > Miami D

Jags = AFC South, Miami = couldn't care less.

Ω
Old 09-10-2012   #88
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What is with this "easily been a loss" nonsense people are talking about? We soundly thumped them. 30-10. We executed and capitalized on both offense and defense. Andre reeled in a super TD catch. Foster punched two in. The defense kept their eyes on that ball all day long, batting it down, causing fumbles, interceptions... They had Reggie relegated to working his weak spot (some people claim he is not good up the middle). They all did their jobs. Well too.

Jeez folks. Y'all are starting to sound like Patroit fans. They're always beating their team up, even with Super Bowls.
The three series of turnovers for the dolphins completely changed the game.

I felt like up until that point the game couldve gone either way.

I don't think anyone is saying we're doomed. Just pointing out that if we are going to get where we want to go we are going to have to play better football. Everyone isn't going to turn the ball over on three consecutive possessions and allow us to blow the game open.

If you listen to the players and coaches they are all saying as much.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #89
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What is with this "easily been a loss" nonsense people are talking about? We soundly thumped them. 30-10. We executed and capitalized on both offense and defense. Andre reeled in a super TD catch. Foster punched two in. The defense kept their eyes on that ball all day long, batting it down, causing fumbles, interceptions... They had Reggie relegated to working his weak spot (some people claim he is not good up the middle).

Jeez folks.
I think people realize the Texans did not play anything close to their best game yesterday in all three phases of the game. Certainly not for four quarters of play. It was disappointing to me on Special Teams, a little disturbing to me on quite a few offensive drives, and good on defense for the most part. We played a rookie QB who was picked off three times. They also gave us a gift fumble that gave Andre that super TD catch you speak of. With something like 26 or so seconds left until halftime.

Heck, the scoreboard may say 30-10 but if you take away the second quarter , most notably the final 6 minutes of that quarter, with all the turnovers... The game was far too competive for my liking. Most people expected a sound victory where we would out-play them for four quarters. It turned out we dominated a 6-minute stretch of football in the second quarter. Other than that, I felt we were out-played by a so-so team at home in the first and third quarters. And we barely won the fourth quarter.

The scoreboard says it all. Dolphins win 3-0 in the 1st, they beat us 7-3 in the 3rd. We just happened to win the second quarter 24-0 and the 4th quarter 3-0. We can't expect to do that against an elite team -- certainly not expecting 4 quick turnovers playing the likes of Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers as oppose to Ryan Tannehill.

I think to a man, even players on the Texans will admit they did not play their best yesterday. The only ones who can say that are J.J. Watt, Andre Johnson and a couple other guys at best. Plenty of room for improvement to say the least.

If the Texans are to win Super Bowl 47, which is what we all want to see, they'll have to put together a 60-minute performance in all three phases of the game. We are so far from seeing that but thankfully it's just Week 2 and not Week 17, aka playoff time.

I want to see a great performance against the Jaguars regardless of the score. It's more than just the score to me. I want to win by playing a good 60 minutes of football. Not 6 minutes of good football against a team that is very likely to go 6-10 at best...
Old 09-10-2012   #90
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 59111 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You can't ignore that first quarter and a half of pure putridity on both sides of the Texans. A better team would have started to build a lead on the Texans right there and we would have been the ones trying to come back. Once JJ Watt basically single handedly saved the Texans ass with all those swats for picks it was all good and then your point is true that we beat them soundly, but not before then....almost a whole half of football the Texans looked horrible.....I smashed my rose colored glasses in 2010 so I can only see in black and white right now. That 1st half could have lost the game if a better team than the Dolphins was on the field.

That being said I don't believe this to be a bad omen nor am I predicting doom and gloom...I fully expect to see this team get better and better and live up to expectations, but I can't ignore or gloss over that horrid first quarter and a half.

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #91
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Run Defense: For all the "gashing" that Reggie did (even before the three quick TDs which limited their running game), they only scored 3 pts on offense. I don't know how we can complain about that; sure, some player got his stats, but to give up 3 pts and then cry about it is over the top.

Run Offense: Miami's front 7 is pretty good. And like many have said this offseason, we are a balanced team. Miami sold out to stop the run, and succeeded. But our passing game was very good and took advantage.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #92
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Huh?

Miami was in scoring position a bunch. Towards the end though they started going for it on 4th down a bunch and didn't convert any.

I think at one point they'd have only been down by 14 or so had they opted to kick field goals instead of going for it.
you're right. They were in the redzone 3 times in the second half, going for TDs & failing on downs.
Old 09-10-2012   #93
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
you're right. They were in the redzone 3 times in the second half, going for TDs & failing on downs.
I'm not only responding to you specifically...

We repeatedly stopped them when it mattered the most. I could care less where they are on the field, our 10 or their 10. They did not progress within a four set of downs enough to put points on the board.

FACT!
Old 09-10-2012   #94
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't re-watched the game yet to really focus on the trenches, but at first glance it appeared Myers and Smith had some rough times. Again, this is just my initial reaction without having seen the game again.

Last edited by HOU-TEX; 09-10-2012 at 02:50 PM.
HOU-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #95
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
You can't ignore that first quarter and a half of pure putridity on both sides of the Texans. A better team would have started to build a lead on the Texans right there and we would have been the ones trying to come back. Once JJ Watt basically single handedly saved the Texans ass with all those swats for picks it was all good and then your point is true that we beat them soundly, but not before then....almost a whole half of football the Texans looked horrible.....I smashed my rose colored glasses in 2010 so I can only see in black and white right now. That 1st half could have lost the game if a better team than the Dolphins was on the field.

That being said I don't believe this to be a bad omen nor am I predicting doom and gloom...I fully expect to see this team get better and better and live up to expectations, but I can't ignore or gloss over that horrid first quarter and a half.
Terrible? Really? We were only down by 3. I don't see horrid at all. Just shaking off some rust. The 1st half did NOT lose the game and that's what folks can't seem to grasp. JJ Watt had himself a monster game yesterday. Somebody else is going to have a monster game another day. That's how the game works.

I am very unhappy with special teams.
Old 09-10-2012   #96
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Terrible? Really? We were only down by 3. I don't see horrid at all. Just shaking off some rust. The 1st half did NOT lose the game and that's what folks can't seem to grasp. JJ Watt had himself a monster game yesterday. Somebody else is going to have a monster game another day. That's how the game works.

They may have only been down three .... but you have to factor in the competition and the rookie QB on the other side. With a little better QB play , they could have been down 10 or more.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #97
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Huh?

Wade was willing to let them dink and dunk their way down the field down 20 if it meant the clock was still running. I would take our performance in the second half with a grain of salt.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #98
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

FWIW, Antonio Smith after the game:

(on the Texans performance) "First half it seemed like we were getting our feet wet. Trying to get into the flow of a real game and then the game plan cause nobody game plans each other in the preseason and they had a couple of good runs. One good run play actually that they kept running til we has to figure out what they had going, but overall I think we played a real good game."

(on RB Reggie Bush having success running) "They did a thing where they open the splits up between the center and the guard to give Reggie more space to fake like he's going outside but cut it back up inside so by the time we honed in and figure it out. There weren't that many more running yards after that."
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #99
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Terrible? Really? We were only down by 3. I don't see horrid at all. Just shaking off some rust. The 1st half did NOT lose the game and that's what folks can't seem to grasp. J
I think that is the biggest issue right there. The boys weren't ready to play & the Dolphins were. We shouldn't have that issue again.

Yesterday should have been enough to show them it's going to be a dog fight just to get back to where we were last year.

Quote:
This, I think was the biggest problem on offense. Starting field position did not help us.
Old 09-10-2012   #100
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans ran 18 times to the left for 20 yards (1.1 yards per carry). 4 runs were negative yards, 4 others were no gain. Longest run, 7 yards.

Texans ran 12 times to the right for 58 yards (4.8 yards per carry). One negative yardage run and one no gain. Longest run 14 yards.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read