Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-09-2012   #61
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Although we won.....

Miami gashed in the run game last year, and we turned it around eventually. We have the same personnel, so I have faith that we can fix it again.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #62
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i agree with what your saying but im just happy we won i try not to concern about things gives me wrinkles :P

but yes i guess thats why they have practices hopefully we can sure that up and get better
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #63
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Ummm only reason they had 79 yards is cause we scored 21 points right before half. And we scored all the points off of turnovers. When it wasnt a turnover we settled for 3.

The run D would of given up MUCH more if the dolphins didnt have to play catch up the whole 2nd half.
You know what? Your right. Time to fire Phillips.

I need me some Wade Phillips pink soap stat!

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #64
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Miami gashed in the run game last year, and we turned it around eventually. We have the same personnel, so I have faith that we can fix it again.
Yeah I forgot that. Thomas had some nasty runs against us. Looked all-world.
Old 09-09-2012   #65
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom17 View Post
I agree- lots of work to do. ST, Run O, Run D, & lame conservative play calling. Happy 2 see AJ & Matt out there, now HOPING they will be injury free! Watt=BEAST!

Play By Play

I thought at times they threw too much on early downs .... and when they had incompletions , got behind on down and distance on a couple of occasions .... They never really established the running game early as eight of the first ten offensive snaps were pass plays.

The first two run's went for 5 and 6 yards ....

I wouldnt call that being overly conservative .... and they did take some shots downfield.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #66
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
I don't know how concerned I am with the run defense after one game. Reggie Bush was running as well as any back in the league at the end of last season, and Jake Long is just a beast to run behind. Reggie Bush had some nice daylight running left but the Texans still kept him in check for the most part. I sort of give credit to the Dolphins run offense more so than the Texans run defense playing poorly today.

Reggie Bush's final 4 games last season, he rushed for 100 yards, 103 yards, 203 yards and 113 yards. Leading the league in rushing the final month of the season. We were facing a guy who was looking to have his 5th straight 100-yard game. Albeit the entire off-season likely cooled him off.
Last year, the Phins didn't have a rag tag and banged up line.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #67
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have some major concerns.

Run Offense

Run Defense

I gotta say this is the least impressed i have been with our offense in a while, i want to see us dominate the run game like we have the past 2 seasons. This needs to be fixed.
Everyone reacting negatively to your take is wrong.

The players and coaches in that locker room feel the same way you do. If not for the herculean effort of one man this game could have looked completely different.

The fins moved the ball on us pretty good. They won the special teams match up. They played the run well for the most part and they got to schaub a couple times.

I think the dlolphins are going to be better than people think after watching them today, but still, we have some work to do.

The passing offense looked good for the most part though, so that's a plus.

But if we are going to get where we want to go we are going to have to play better football. Period.

I think it'll happen as this was just game one. But you are right. They should take thesis win for what it is, but keep it in perspective. They out talented a worse team, but they won't always have that luxury.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #68
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Everyone reacting negatively to your take is wrong.

The players and coaches in that locker room feel the same way you do. If not for the herculean effort of one man this game could have looked completely different.

The fins moved the ball on us pretty good. They won the special teams match up. They played the run well for the most part and they got to schaub a couple times.

I think the dlolphins are going to be better than people think after watching them today, but still, we have some work to do.

The passing offense looked good for the most part though, so that's a plus.

But if we are going to get where we want to go we are going to have to play better football. Period.

I think it'll happen as this was just game one. But you are right. They should take thesis win for what it is, but keep it in perspective. They out talented a worse team, but they won't always have that luxury.
Their defense , especially against the run was above average .... I heard talk on one of the radio stations Friday about how good their DT's were ... possibly the best duo in the league. They didnt disappoint.

I counted at least three drops in the first quarter alone , Foster the first one , AJ had one .... I forget who the third was. (am I nitpicking ?)

JJ Watt .... is a monster.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #69
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
You know what? Your right. Time to fire Phillips.

I need me some Wade Phillips pink soap stat!
HAHA wow taking it a little far arent you. Just stating the facts there boss. Never said Fire Phillips are that we are doomed, just saying we have some big improvments to make, since we cant play a rookie QB every week.
Old 09-10-2012   #70
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Last year, the Phins didn't have a rag tag and banged up line.
I'm not sure if their OL is banged up or not, but rag tag might be a bit harsh. They have 2 top 12 first round draft choices in Long and Pouncey and Jonathon Martin had a first round grade going into this year's draft. Jerry and Incognito are decent players. There's definitely some talent there.

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/MIA
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #71
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Their defense , especially against the run was above average .... I heard talk on one of the radio stations Friday about how good their DT's were ... possibly the best duo in the league. They didnt disappoint.

I counted at least three drops in the first quarter alone , Foster the first one , AJ had one .... I forget who the third was. (am I nitpicking ?)

JJ Watt .... is a monster.
It was "Mr. Training Camp" himself, Keshawn Martin. Dude didn't get
targeted the rest of the game for that drop on a wide-open slant.
Old 09-10-2012   #72
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
Yep. We won by 20, put up 400 yards of offense, and had no turnovers (a +4 ratio). I have no complaints.
This is the good part. & I know as fans, that's all we should be worried about. However, I don't think it does our expectations any good to burry our heads in the sand.

First, I want to recant my statement about the defense. The defense did it's job. Yes, Reggie Bush looked like an All-Pro, but Reggie Bush isn't going to win any games for the Miami Dolphins. Maybe that was Wade's plan all along, play the pass, don't worry so much about the run... I can see it, but didn't like it from up there in the stands.

However, they never threatened to score, only putting up 3 points the whole game & staying on their side of the field for most of the game. The defense did what it was supposed to do.

As far as Miami's defense & our offense is concerned. We scored 6 points in the second half. Two trips to the redzone & two field goals. That's not going to cut it when playing Super Bowl Contenders & that's where we all think we are.

I'm not going to blame that on Gary turtling up. he called a pretty good game for the most part, things just didn't go our way. There was some turtling at the end of the game... 6 minutes remaining I think, but other than that, he was trying to score.

The team looked good on the short field & we've got the defense to thank for that. We need our special teams to do their part in that as well.

400 yards of offense... 30 points... yeah, the offense did their job
275 yards given up by the defense... only giving up 3 points. The defense did their job as well (only 6 teams did better (including the Cowboys)).

Special teams was our biggest problem.
Old 09-10-2012   #73
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If we didn't have the narrow 7 minutes of glory handed to us by our D, the outcome could have been ugly.
That 7 minutes neutralized their run game & put them right where we wanted them. We couldn't stop the run defensively, but the scoreboard did it's job.

It would be nice if the defense can do that every week. But they don't have to if our special teams don't keep pinning us inside our 20, I think we'll see the team we think we are.
Old 09-10-2012   #74
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Reggie Bush has always run almost exclusively offtackle. He and the Phins staff recognized before the game from film and historic pattern the Texans long-standing woeful up-the-middle run defense deficiency and decided to temporarily turn his biggest weakness into his biggest strength.
I'm going to have to watch the game again, but I saw a lot of missed tackles in the backfield..... Brian Cushing & Quin (I think) were the main culprits. If we clean that up (& I'm sure those two will) we'll be ok.
Old 09-10-2012   #75
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 53144 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I'm going to have to watch the game again, but I saw a lot of missed tackles in the backfield..... Brian Cushing & Quin (I think) were the main culprits. If we clean that up (& I'm sure those two will) we'll be ok.
Cushing 7 and Quin 6 were the leading tacklers and both forced a fumble.
Old 09-10-2012   #76
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If we didn't have the narrow 7 minutes of glory handed to us by our D, the outcome could have been ugly.

Bum Phillips, despite the 610 homers that interviewed him related multiple concerns all facets of the Texans game. The homers continued to try to deflect and neutralize his comments, but were anything but successful in doing so. Bum said that "it was apparent the whole team was not prepared to come out with knives sharpened."

BTW, Kubiak during the post game interview said the he wasn't going to sleep well tonight. I'm right there with Kubiak.
Yeah, it was a glorified preseason performance. Lotta work to do, lotta stuff to fix ... hope the CBA allows time to do so.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #77
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
Cushing 7 and Quin 6 were the leading tacklers and both forced a fumble.
I also saw a few missed tackles and I'm pretty sure Cushing was the culprit on a few of them. I don't know about Quin but I also saw McCain miss an important tackle or two.
Old 09-10-2012   #78
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 53144 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
I also saw a few missed tackles and I'm pretty sure Cushing was the culprit on a few of them. I don't know about Quin but I also saw McCain miss an important tackle or two.
I'm sure they did, I now I was yelling "What the F are you doing?" several times.

It always feels worse while watching. Like yesterday, there were many games last year when I thought the defense is getting gashed and looks horrible. Then you see the stats. No 100 yd rusher or receiver, less than 300 yds total allowed.
Old 09-10-2012   #79
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
I'm sure they did, I now I was yelling "What the F are you doing?" several times.

It always feels worse while watching. Like yesterday, there were many games last year when I thought the defense is getting gashed and looks horrible. Then you see the stats. No 100 yd rusher or receiver, less than 300 yds total allowed.
Yup yup yup! Don't get me wrong. I am one of the few folks here who has publicly acclaimed our run stopping defense (and running game too).
Old 09-10-2012   #80
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Thats my thing AJ. He looked great. People say he has lost a step, but i dont see it.
That pass he caught that put us on the 2 yard line..... that was a thing of beauty. Most of the game I was focused on the right side of the line, first because of the new guys there, then because we just couldn't get it going on the ground.

I finally had enough & decided to watch Andre. They had that #31 on him, on an island. Andre put a double move on him then accelerated up field..... thing of beauty.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read