Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-09-2012   #41
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Although we won.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I'm not quite following this pick and choose stat (unless you remove one or two extreme outlier stats). Otherwise, you could very well present

If you remove 25 (of 26) of Foster's runs, he goes 1 for 14 yds (14 ypc)

If you remove 13 (of 14) of Reggie's runs, he goes 1 for 13 yds (13 ypc)
The Phins knew what they were going to do. They had 9-10 guys in the box and knew we were running it. I think it's fair to take away those carries to get a real picture of his play.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #42
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

It wasn't a pretty win, but I'm not going to complain at this point. It's too early in the season and the objective is to play your best football in December. I'm looking at this season like an Olympic event. You want to qualify for the finals so you don't want to hit your stride too early. I think we'll be fine as long as we're healthy. The Phins have a terrible offense, but their defense is decent. Credit to them for playing us tough, but we made the plays when we had to and that's what good teams do. We're off to a good start and obviously we have room to improve which isn't a bad thing necessarily from my point of view.
Old 09-09-2012   #43
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71089 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

OK i will give props i was pretty happy with the pass protection though, and with AJ and O.D looked like the OLD O.D before his 2010 injury
Old 09-09-2012   #44
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51302 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
There's no pick and choose here. We were running down the clock in the fourth. Foster looked good the rest of the day... just as good as Reggie did until Kubiak decided to lay down for the win.
Totally agree. I wouldn't count Schaub's kneel downs as part of our rushing total either
Old 09-09-2012   #45
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't look good in the first half until 6 min left in 2 nd quarter. Not concerned about running game, Fish were stacking the box like crazy to the point their CBs were crashing down to help on the run. In any other case, Kubiaks calls a Bootleg and ends that nonsense.

1 down, 15 to go....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #46
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

It was like the team forgot how to put things together until we forced those turnovers...then the floodgates opened up. Until then, we looked asleep.

I credit JJ Watt with being the guy who found a way to awake us from the slumber.

This was the first time in two years I saw Andre Johnson actively involved in a game. I have to think that even last year, pre-injury, there was something lurking there that was nagging him. Today he looked like beast AJ from start to finish. The various routes he ran were awesomely executed and called at the right times.

Same thing for Owen Daniels. James Casey had a timely catch too.

Run game looked average. Foster made his cuts. I just think the Dolphins sold out on stopping our run game, and some teams are just gonna try it on us.

Defense. I don't know why the run D was that bad, but it has to stop. Or else MJD and Jennings will have 200 yds and 3 TDs on us.
Old 09-09-2012   #47
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Rep Power: 71089 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
It was like the team forgot how to put things together until we forced those turnovers...then the floodgates opened up. Until then, we looked asleep.

I credit JJ Watt with being the guy who found a way to awake us from the slumber.

This was the first time in two years I saw Andre Johnson actively involved in a game. I have to think that even last year, pre-injury, there was something lurking there that was nagging him. Today he looked like beast AJ from start to finish. The various routes he ran were awesomely executed and called at the right times.

Same thing for Owen Daniels. James Casey had a timely catch too.

Run game looked average. Foster made his cuts. I just think the Dolphins sold out on stopping our run game, and some teams are just gonna try it on us.

Defense. I don't know why the run D was that bad, but it has to stop. Or else MJD and Jennings will have 200 yds and 3 TDs on us.
Thats my thing AJ. He looked great. People say he has lost a step, but i dont see it.
Old 09-09-2012   #48
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

if it's possible to call a 20 point win ugly, this was it. i thought the game played as it looked - an overwhelmingly talented team playing like crap. varsity team goofing off against a JV team, with only a hand full of players (watt) taking it seriously.

without those turnovers it very well may have been a route the other way. you could see it in some like schaub, who were visably frustrated with the effort and focus.
Old 09-09-2012   #49
jjjezebel
¡Ay, caramba!

Section: Section 116, seats 15-17
Rep Power: 11835 jjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respectedjjjezebel is a quality contributor and well respected

I also found it interesting - and a little disconcerting - watching the Defensive line late in the game when Miami was trying to get in the endzone on the Bull Pen side.

Demps and Manning were arguing over who was supposed to be where, and it looked like things were getting pretty heated. They went off the field still going at each other, even when the D. stopped the Dolphins from scoring.

And it happened again in the next series as well, to the point that one of the other guys (I think it was Reed) came over to calm things down a bit. Maybe it was a new formation, maybe it was first game jitters...but both of these guys aren't new to the team. I hope that sort of behavior was a one-off.
jjjezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #50
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 19116 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Special Teams - Ugly, not sure what happened to both our blocking and trinton dropping the initial kickoff. Nerves, but later in the game blocking was horrid.

Defense, coverage looked good we are missing Demeco already James is not a replacement for Demeco in the running game for sure. Where is the penetration of our front 7 though.

Offense, running game sucked, and we went Kubiak shell mode in the 4th quarter.. can't stand that.

Overall: ugly win, we couldn't finish the dolphins in the 4th quarter, typical kubiak ugly win..

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #51
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Reggie Bush has always run almost exclusively offtackle. He and the Phins staff recognized before the game from film and historic pattern the Texans long-standing woeful up-the-middle run defense deficiency and decided to temporarily turn his biggest weakness into his biggest strength.
Nah, Bush has been running up the middle since joining the Dolphins. He is an underrated rb now, if you can believe that. He has done well with a full time starting role.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #52
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Special Teams - Ugly, not sure what happened to both our blocking and trinton dropping the initial kickoff. Nerves, but later in the game blocking was horrid.

Defense, coverage looked good we are missing Demeco already James is not a replacement for Demeco in the running game for sure. Where is the penetration of our front 7 though.

Offense, running game sucked, and we went Kubiak shell mode in the 4th quarter.. can't stand that.

Overall: ugly win, we couldn't finish the dolphins in the 4th quarter, typical kubiak ugly win..
With the Dolphins offense we finished the dolphins before half time..........
Old 09-09-2012   #53
Seasick Sailor
Rookie

Rep Power: 544 Seasick Sailor is a quality contributor and well respectedSeasick Sailor is a quality contributor and well respectedSeasick Sailor is a quality contributor and well respectedSeasick Sailor is a quality contributor and well respectedSeasick Sailor is a quality contributor and well respectedSeasick Sailor is a quality contributor and well respectedSeasick Sailor is a quality contributor and well respectedSeasick Sailor is a quality contributor and well respectedSeasick Sailor is a quality contributor and well respectedSeasick Sailor is a quality contributor and well respectedSeasick Sailor is a quality contributor and well respected

What we saw today is what happens when a very good team believes their own hype and overlooks an opponent they believed to be beneath them. They weren't sharp. They weren't focused. They simply weren't hungry.

Great coaches and team leaders can correct this before it cost us a winnable game. Sometimes it takes a loss to snap out of it. Something will have to resharpen the edge to the sharpness that we last saw in the Tamba Bay game last year.
Seasick Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #54
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the game started with the players believing the media who kept saying this would be one of only two games that were "sure things." The Texans played as if they thought it was going to be an automatic win.

Add to that a run game that wasn't up to par along with a run d that seemed to falter and we have Kubiak staying up most of the night. I won't stay up but I'll worry from time to time throughout the week.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #55
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Nah, Bush has been running up the middle since joining the Dolphins. He is an underrated rb now, if you can believe that. He has done well with a full time starting role.
Will have to disagree. Having watched several Phins games last year, Bush would mix a handful of inside the tackles runs with his classic more successful outside the tackle runs.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #56
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 43520 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I have some major concerns.

Run Offense

Run Defense

I gotta say this is the least impressed i have been with our offense in a while, i want to see us dominate the run game like we have the past 2 seasons. This needs to be fixed.
Our run offense scored 2 TD's.

Our run defense gave up 79 yards.

Our offense scored 30 points.

What do they have to do to impress you? Light themselves on fire and walk on water? lower the beer prices at Reliant?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #57
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know how concerned I am with the run defense after one game. Reggie Bush was running as well as any back in the league at the end of last season, and Jake Long is just a beast to run behind. Reggie Bush had some nice daylight running left but the Texans still kept him in check for the most part. I sort of give credit to the Dolphins run offense more so than the Texans run defense playing poorly today.

Reggie Bush's final 4 games last season, he rushed for 100 yards, 103 yards, 203 yards and 113 yards. Leading the league in rushing the final month of the season. We were facing a guy who was looking to have his 5th straight 100-yard game. Albeit the entire off-season likely cooled him off.

And yet, the Texans held Reggie Bush to 14 carries and 69 rushing yards today. 0 TDs and made him fumble once. I'd call that pretty damn good to be honest. I mean granted they held Bush to only 18 yards rushing in Week 2 last year but at that time he was nowhere near the "good back" he seems to be turning into.

I'm willing to give Miami credit for their run offense and run defense. They will be a good team in both categories all year long. It certainly didn't shock me that they did well at both today. Just too bad for Miami fans they're not going to be much more than a 6-10 team because they've got some real problems on passing offense - rookie quarterback and WRs who wouldn't even be a number three or four on a good team.
Old 09-09-2012   #58
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
It wasn't a pretty win, but I'm not going to complain at this point. It's too early in the season and the objective is to play your best football in December. I'm looking at this season like an Olympic event. You want to qualify for the finals so you don't want to hit your stride too early. I think we'll be fine as long as we're healthy. The Phins have a terrible offense, but their defense is decent. Credit to them for playing us tough, but we made the plays when we had to and that's what good teams do. We're off to a good start and obviously we have room to improve which isn't a bad thing necessarily from my point of view.
THIS.

The game was frustrating to watch because special teams sucked, the rushing offense continually stalled, and the defense allowed Miami to move the ball early in the game at will, but despite those warts the Texans scored a convincing win on the scoreboard. From a coaching standpoint I think this might be better than a convincing win with few mistakes. If I'm Kubiak I don't want my kids thinking they can just waltz into Jacksonville next week and win.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #59
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Our run offense scored 2 TD's.

Our run defense gave up 79 yards.

Our offense scored 30 points.

What do they have to do to impress you? Light themselves on fire and walk on water? lower the beer prices at Reliant?
Ummm only reason they had 79 yards is cause we scored 21 points right before half. And we scored all the points off of turnovers. When it wasnt a turnover we settled for 3.

The run D would of given up MUCH more if the dolphins didnt have to play catch up the whole 2nd half.
Old 09-09-2012   #60
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
if it's possible to call a 20 point win ugly, this was it. i thought the game played as it looked - an overwhelmingly talented team playing like crap. varsity team goofing off against a JV team, with only a hand full of players (watt) taking it seriously.

without those turnovers it very well may have been a route the other way. you could see it in some like schaub, who were visably frustrated with the effort and focus.
THIS ^^^^. Well said.

Schaub was a bit agitated with the guys today.

And it DID look like varsity guys goofing around and not taking a jv team seriously enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasick Sailor View Post
What we saw today is what happens when a very good team believes their own hype and overlooks an opponent they believed to be beneath them. They weren't sharp. They weren't focused. They simply weren't hungry.

Great coaches and team leaders can correct this before it cost us a winnable game. Sometimes it takes a loss to snap out of it. Something will have to resharpen the edge to the sharpness that we last saw in the Tamba Bay game last year.
And again, this ^^^^ is so true.

The thing I like about our coaching staff, the culture Gary has developed, and that Schaub and a guy like JJ Watt embrace, is that it WILL get addressed in team meetings this week. There will be a Come To Jesus session; it will be a week-long learning environment, and I suspect the team will be sharp next week in Jax.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read