Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-09-2012   #41
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matt Schaub Signs Extension

Drew Bress is older and got 60 million guaranteed over 5 years. Schaub got 25 million over 4. for those who think that schuab is half the QB that Bress is, the money follows.
Old 09-09-2012   #42
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14250 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Rick Smith and the gang have done well with contracts to get the benefit of the doubt that this is a good contract extension. I can't think of many other quarterbacks that are going to be free next year that can take his spot through trade or FA.

From the homer fan like myself it may seem that Schaub's contract is a contract for the "injury free matt schaub" instead of the "injury prone Matt Schaub." But like I said Rick gets the benefit of the doubt at the end of the day.

So with his contract extension who isn't going to get resigned next year? Smith? Who else?
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #43
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, as of yesterday, if you'd asked me who would agree to a last minute (in terms of the beginning of the season) extension, I would have said Barwin in a heartbeat.

Shows what I know, but I'm extremely happy to see that Matt has re-upped and is property of the Texans for a little longer.
Old 09-09-2012   #44
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 56179 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
LZ just said it was done just after midnight last night.
No wonder we looked terrible to start the game, our leader was up past his bedtime.....silly GM messin stuff up
Old 09-09-2012   #45
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

As concerns the 2012 cap, Schaub was going to count $10,950,000 ([base salary] 7,150,000 , [signing bonus] 750,000, ["other" bonuses] 3,050,000)

Wonder what the implications of the hit will now be.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #46
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess it is nice to get some business out of the way. Schaub is better than what a lot of teams have to play with and better than what we could probably get in FA or the draft, drafting at 32.
Old 09-09-2012   #47
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Per Mark Berman:

RT @MarkBermanFox26: Matt Schaub's extension is for 4 years worth 62 million/24.750 guaranteed
62/4= 15.5

Are we paying Matt $15.5M/yr?

I tell you what... Houston fans love them some Schaub. I was up in 609, and after another disappointing drive (before the turnovers) I tried to start the chant, "TJ, TJ, TJ.... "

I got some ugly looks and almost didn't make it out of there.
Old 09-09-2012   #48
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
62/4= 15.5

I tell you what... Houston fans love them some Schaub. I was up in 609, and after another disappointing drive (before the turnovers) I tried to start the chant, "TJ, TJ, TJ.... "

I dont blame the others around you. TJ looked like he belonged with the special teams players
Old 09-09-2012   #49
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
I think Barwin is gonna wish he took the Texans offer. He has looked very average after putting on weight...
Shuan Cody beat him in a free-style swim meet.

Old 09-09-2012   #50
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
62/4= 15.5

So you're one of those guys huh? Yeah, a 102 QB rating and 266 yards passing is definitely worthy of a QB getting yanked in favor of a QB whose last meaningful action was just chunking the ball up for grabs.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #51
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Shuan Cody beat him in a free-style swim meet.

The pass rush on the edge was not good enough today..
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #52
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
You have no idea how much of it is incentive based, there's no way to tell how much he's really going to earn. 25 guaranteed is actually pretty reasonable, as that's basically 2 years guaranteed, plus a little more. As I said earlier, I hope it's backloaded so that we are basically making a 2-3 year deal with him, and he won't earn the 20 million or whatever it could be in year 4. Look at some of those contracts you linked, almost every one of those QBs are making outrageous sums in their final years, and it's unlikely they will get it.

I'm willing to bet about 10 million of it is tied up in incentives based on things like starting 14-16 regular season games, 2 million bonus for winning the Super Bowl, 1 million bonus for winning AFC, etc etc. QB contracts are always inflated by stuff like that.
I'd love to know what his anual salary is for the first three years.

25 guaranteed over 4 years is just a little more than $6M/yr, his salary for this year may be as low as $2M/yr & like you said, incentives based on games played, play-off placing, pro-bowl, AFC Championship game appearance... etc, etc...

He may only make $8M this year, which is about right for him.

Old 09-09-2012   #53
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

If he keeps playing like today he'll be worth every penny. Great play from Schaub today coming off injury with an OL that wasn't doing him any favors.
Old 09-09-2012   #54
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
So you're one of those guys huh? Yeah, a 102 QB rating and 266 yards passing is definitely worthy of a QB getting yanked in favor of a QB whose last meaningful action was just chunking the ball up for grabs.

Lol
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #55
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
62/4= 15.5

Why?
Old 09-09-2012   #56
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans continue to roll

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #57
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd love to know what his anual salary is for the first three years.

25 guaranteed over 4 years is just a little more than $6M/yr, his salary for this year may be as low as $2M/yr & like you said, incentives based on games played, play-off placing, pro-bowl, AFC Championship game appearance... etc, etc...

He may only make $8M this year, which is about right for him.

Yeah it's 6 a year average, but the guaranteed money will be paid out by the end of year 2. I'm guessing he got about 8 million signing bonus, and a salary structure of 8, 10, 12, 15 per, with the rest being an assortment of bonuses. I'm expecting it to be a cap friendly deal too, Matt seems like the kind of guy who would do that.
Old 09-09-2012   #58
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't explain it, but schaubs throws actually look better.

His throws aren't as airy as they used to be. I dint feel like I'm watching the ball travel in slow motion to it's target.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #59
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I can't explain it, but schaubs throws actually look better.

His throws aren't as airy as they used to be. I dint feel like I'm watching the ball travel in slow motion to it's target.
I agree Rey he's got more zip on the ball.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #60
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

How close is Schaub to being 100 % with that foot? I recall a 3rd and goal when he seemed to have an easy daylight (opening) into the end zone had he ran it in but he sort of stayed too long in the pocket, as if running wasn't an option, and forced an incomplete pass to the corner of the end zone. Not that Schaub was ever a runner but I've seen him make plays with his feet (running Touchdowns), especially against Miami, in the past on similar type of plays.

We ended up getting a Field Goal when we should have gotten 6 points. It was interesting to hear the crowd booing every time we settled for a field goal. At least on that particular play, I would have been on board with the disappointment. A good thing the defense forced 4 turnovers and scored 24 points off those turnovers.

We better play much better against the Patriots, Packers, Ravens, Bears and whatever good teams we play this season. If we play like today against the good teams I'll be awfully worried. That's the only down part of playing the Dolphins and Jaguars -- two bad teams the first two weeks. You don't need to play your best to win but I'll take the 2-0 record.

We'll be tested Week 3 at Denver. I can't wait for that one.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read