Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-09-2012   #21
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Although we won.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
We beat one of biggest laughing stocks of the NFL. Our 1st Q was pathetic. Our 2nd half left me asking if we weren't looking a team that was backing into their shells to protect a lead.........a tactic you might more appropriately see against Super Bowl contenders. We as a supposed Super Bowl contender has no business even thinking of backing off the pedal against a weenie team like the Phins. Of course, unthinkably, the explanation could be that it wasn't purposeful by design...........simply that the 1st Q Texans O and D decided to make an encore appearance.
Gary is always going to be the guy who gets up by whatever lead he thinks he can protect and then hang on to it. It's annoying but that's how he rolls. We just have to hope it works out. At the same time I think if you can't hold a 20 point lead against Miami and their wet behind the ears rookie QB then are you really a Super Bowl Contender?

I think he wanted to eat clock and get out of there with a win. The Texans did that. Its terribly frustrating to watch them go turtle like that but I don't think that's going to change.
Old 09-09-2012   #22
Iceman16
Veteran

Rep Power: 371 Iceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I have some major concerns.

Run Offense

Run Defense

I gotta say this is the least impressed i have been with our offense in a while, i want to see us dominate the run game like we have the past 2 seasons. This needs to be fixed.
This is 2012, you win based on passing and defending the pass / getting to the quarterback. We can't have everything. Our weakness defensively is up the middle, if anywhere. The running game is fine, the Dolphins have a good run defense. Do we look like we did last year? Of course not, we lost Eric Winston. But we'll still be able to move the ball on the ground better than most any team in the NFL.
Iceman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #23
Iceman16
Veteran

Rep Power: 371 Iceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
Dolphins were in control till the turnovers.
Turnovers that were more forced by Houston than handed over by Miami. The defense played well.
Old 09-09-2012   #24
Iceman16
Veteran

Quote:
Another thing that dissapointed me was the lack of use of Jean and Martin. Our passing game looked great, AJ and O.D tore it up BUT i think we can be so much better with A.J, Jean and Martin on the field.

I will give Walter credit he did draw that PI call in the endzone but Jean is a good talent which we saw on his (Should of been TD reception).
Jean got his shot, he pulled in a beautiful pass that should've been a called TD. Martin looked off. Dunno how many looks you're expecting when they're playing with Andre, OD, and Arian among others. They got their looks.
Old 09-09-2012   #25
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Miami have a pretty good D-line, we have some new personnel on our O-line. Not going to worry too much about our running O misfiring a little, Arian wasn't 100% healthy and Tate didn't get enough carries to get going early on.

As for the run D, well Cody will never be elite but you can't be at every position, Bradie James is a lot cheaper than Demeco and we managed to resign Schaub as well as Foster partly due to money we're saving at those 2 positions. The important thing is that we know our own weakness, and teams can't simply run it up the middle on every down, they have to get outside now and then and they have to throw the ball otherwise we can cheat inside. That is when we are lethal due to turnovers, passes tipped off the line, great coverage, sack threat, and beating the rusher to the edge.

20 point win on opening day and we're winging about things, my this fanbase has matured over the last couple of years. Good to see the level of expectation being raised so high.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #26
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6986 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Bottom line:

79 rushing yards against.

30 to 10.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #27
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67904 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
Bottom line:

79 rushing yards against.

30 to 10.
Yep. We won by 20, put up 400 yards of offense, and had no turnovers (a +4 ratio). I have no complaints.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #28
cland
Veteran

Rep Power: 4611 cland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't forget that Miami had a top #3 defense last year...despite being terrible on offense. Their rushing attack wasn't bad either at #11. Definitely some things to clean up, but I'm pretty impressed.
cland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #29
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

If we didn't have the narrow 7 minutes of glory handed to us by our D, the outcome could have been ugly.

Bum Phillips, despite the 610 homers that interviewed him related multiple concerns all facets of the Texans game. The homers continued to try to deflect and neutralize his comments, but were anything but successful in doing so. Bum said that "it was apparent the whole team was not prepared to come out with knives sharpened."

BTW, Kubiak during the post game interview said the he wasn't going to sleep well tonight. I'm right there with Kubiak.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #30
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

BTW, Kubiak during the post game interview said the he wasn't going to sleep well tonight. I'm right there with Kubiak.

I'm not chanting the sky is falling yet, but the offense HAS to play better next week. I hope Kubiak treats practice this week like they lost. I feel it will make them better..

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #31
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 74447 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Better fix run defense before next Sunday because MJD will not lay off the pedal. Im not sure what the deal is with rushes up the middle, dare I say Demeco Ryans?
Old 09-09-2012   #32
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

This just didnt have the same fill to it as last season. I mean watching the offense and defense. Either that or the Dolphins D is just that damn good, and Reggie bush is just that damn good as well..........
Old 09-09-2012   #33
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
Dolphins were in control till the turnovers.
It was 3 to 3. I'm not sure you call that being in control. They were "hanging in there".
Old 09-09-2012   #34
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12118 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Either that or the Dolphins D is just that damn good, and Reggie bush is just that damn good as well..........
You know, we didn't really factor that in. We were so focused on their offense, we forgot about their defense. I'm not worried yet, but I do agree they could have done a lot better. I hope it gets fixed. Also, last season they had problems early with running up the middle. They got it fixed by the 5th game if I'm correct. I think we can be good still, we just need to improve on a few things.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #35
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This just didnt have the same fill to it as last season. I mean watching the offense and defense. Either that or the Dolphins D is just that damn good, and Reggie bush is just that damn good as well..........
We are not going to dominate every aspect of every game. I do think we are going to have to throw the ball a little more this year after losing the rt side of the line.
Old 09-09-2012   #36
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't care.

As long as I don't hear that there's concern on the right side of the O-line, I don't see any reason to be concerned!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012   #37
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys are funny with the contradiction of "our run defense sucks and our run offense sucks" stuff. This was all about clock management and the numbers show that. Take away Foster's last 11 rushes which accounted for all of ten yards and he's had himself a Reggie Bush day.

Foster 26 for 79 (15 for 69 good for a 4.6 ypc).
Reggie 14 for 69

Both did fine.
Old 09-09-2012   #38
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Reggie Bush has always run almost exclusively offtackle. He and the Phins staff recognized before the game from film and historic pattern the Texans long-standing woeful up-the-middle run defense deficiency and decided to temporarily turn his biggest weakness into his biggest strength.
Old 09-09-2012   #39
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
You guys are funny with the contradiction of "our run defense sucks and our run offense sucks" stuff. This was all about clock management and the numbers show that. Take away Foster's last 11 rushes which accounted for all of ten yards and he's had himself a Reggie Bush day.

Foster 26 for 79 (15 for 69 good for a 4.6 ypc).
Reggie 14 for 69

Both did fine.
I'm not quite following this pick and choose stat (unless you remove one or two extreme outlier stats). Otherwise, you could very well present

If you remove 25 (of 26) of Foster's runs, he goes 1 for 14 yds (14 ypc)

If you remove 13 (of 14) of Reggie's runs, he goes 1 for 13 yds (13 ypc)
Old 09-09-2012   #40
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not quite following this pick and choose stat (unless you remove one or two extreme outlier stats). Otherwise, you could very well present

If you remove 25 (of 26) of Foster's runs, he goes 1 for 14 yds (14 ypc)

If you remove 13 (of 14) of Reggie's runs, he goes 1 for 13 yds (13 ypc)
There's no pick and choose here. We were running down the clock in the fourth. Foster looked good the rest of the day... just as good as Reggie did until Kubiak decided to lay down for the win.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read