Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-04-2012   #61
TexansBlood
The CUSH!

Rep Power: 5732 TexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are the 2012 Texans better than the 2011 Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Even if we did have a better team this season, it's unlikely to show it in the W/L column. Our schedule is much more difficult this season than last. How many great QBS did we play against last season other than Brees? Yup.

This season we'll be facing darn near the entire QB "elite" class. My hope for this season is winning the division to give us a shot in the playoffs. I'm not expecting the 11, 12, 13 win season like most are predicting
Besides Rodgers, Brady and maybe Peyton who are these elite QBs you speaking of?
TexansBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012   #62
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBlood View Post
Besides Rodgers, Brady and maybe Peyton who are these elite QBs you speaking of?
That's all 3 of them. Stafford is up there going by last year alone. So that's 2-3 more than last season. Not to mention the average type QB like Flacco and Cutler.

Much tougher than last year
Old 09-04-2012   #63
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

With the exception of one offensive lineman, this years team is more talented than last years.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012   #64
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

& last year we were playing one elite defense after another. This year, not so much. This years schedule is much easier than last years.

We should sweep the AFC South. Hasn't happened before, but we really should. We should beat down the AFC East 3-1, we should beat Denver, Minnesota, & Detroit. In my mind the only games that are not "should win" games are New England, Baltimore, Greenbay, & Chicago. If we win just one of those games we should finish 13-3
Old 09-04-2012   #65
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Very good and tricky question, with a lot of different angles to attack it from...

Do i trade this year's much improved WR group for last year's right side of OL? Also, the attitude of this year's team will probably be different, but in a good or bad way?

Tough one to call for me...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012   #66
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
With the exception of one offensive lineman, this years team is more talented than last years.
I don't think Winston or Brisiel were starting because they were more talented than Newton & Caldwell. Stronger, maybe. Meaner, maybe. More consistent or better pros more than likely. But the word talent doesn't come to mind when I watch those two play.

For instance, Winston did not have the feet or the arms to play tackle.
Old 09-04-2012   #67
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I don't think Winston or Brisiel were starting because they were more talented than Newton & Caldwell. Stronger, maybe. Meaner, maybe. More consistent or better pros more than likely. But the word talent doesn't come to mind when I watch those two play.

And Newt has both. I think he'll pick it up pretty quickly. Like Kubiak said on many occasions, "we're not giving jobs away, they've got to be earned". Newton did that by beating out a seven year Pro. I'm not so sure it's going to be a dire as many others here do.

But then what the hell do I know?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #68
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6869 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are the 2013 Texans better than the 2012 Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I dont know Lucky .... Lets evaluate the roster by position.

QB - I think is slightly better with the seasoning of Yates and Beck is an upgrade over Lienart. The key here is Schaubs health.

RB - I think is a push between Ward and Forsett. But we're talking about the third guy behind the best RB combo in the league.

WR - I think this years group is considerably better especially the depth. Jacoby Jones , David Anderson , Bryant Johnson and Derrick Mason out - In with Martin , Jean and Posey. Its debatable tho since none of those kids has made an NFL reception but every one of them has shown to have playmaking capabilities that last years group didnt (outside of Jones).

TE - OD , Dreesen , Casey or OD , Graham , Casey ? A lot depends on Graham ... he looked good against the Aints. I'll go with Dreesen until proven otherwise , advantage 2011

FB - Casey and Vickers Vs Casey and Tyler Clutts - I dont know much about Clutts .... But Vickers wasnt very good , cost the team W game with a crutial drop. Call it a push here too ?

OL - Last years OL was better without a doubt tho pass protection could be better. We'll give this to the 2011 squad.

DL - Smith , Cody , Watt .... same starting trio and Watt should improve since he was a rookie last year. Crick , Jamison and Mitchell as depth. Call it even ?

ILB - Cushing & Ryans Vs Cushing and Bradie James , on paper it seems like Cush and Ryans are the better combo but Ryans was a real liability in coverage. I think James is sligtly better in coverage and Ryans a bit better against the run. Dobbins was last years backup as well tho Sharpton is injured (again). Slight edge to 2011 just to be fair.

OLB - Here's the interesting position with MW gone. He was playing well before the injury but Brooks Reed came in and didnt miss a beat. The defense finished #2 overall. MW clearly has more talent but for the second year in a row lands on IR. MW had 5 sacks thru 5 games , Reed had 6 the next 11. Advantage 2011

CB - Not much change here other than Jason Allen leaving and we've had a Brandon Harris sighting. KJ wont be in a platoon situation this season. McMains didnt play much outside of ST. Dont know how to call this one but KJ has looked better. Call it even.

Safety - Exchange Nolan for Keo. I think Nolan's the better safety but Keo's the better ST player. We're talking about the 4th safety. Who makes a greater impact ?? Probably a push.

KR/PR - Jacoby was explosive but an accident waiting to happen making boneheaded decisions and carrying the ball like he was doing the funky chicken. He also ran backwards a lot on PR's .... which I couldnt stand.

Tricycle is even more explosive IMO and doesnt really make the bad decisions. He has put a couple on the ground tho , the kickoff fumble I think the defender made the play popping the ball out while Tricycle was stiffarming a defender He does have to cover it up better in traffic. On the muffed punt .... I give Tricycle full responsibility , he also had the sense to get it out of bounds.

I have to give the advantage here to the current squad.

Punter / Holder - Hartmann has a hell of a leg. I hated to see him released and really wondered how they would handle the situation once his suspension ended. Dude would lay the wood in coverage too ....
Also handled some KO duties last season but would occasionally line drive one short .... otherwise they were out of the endzone.
Jones doesnt have the leg that Hartmann does but he has been solid and has saved at least two bad snaps on FG/PAT's. Thats a real importnt aspect of his job description.
This one's a tough call. I demand a recount.

Kicker - Rackers was solid last year but didnt have the leg to hit the long ones. Kubiak on more than one occasion punted rather than send him out to attempt a 50+ yarder.
Graham was brought in not to win the job but to push Bullock - He won the job hands down IMO. The only complaint I have is depth on kickoffs.
Both veterans with playoff experience - I call this one even too.

Your assessment is probably correct .... but I think its at least debatable. They do have the tools to make a deep run but a whole lot depends upon health at key positions , especially Schaub's. Everything else being equal , a healthy Schaub this team is much better. The scarry thing is the right side of the OL keeping Schaub upright.
Great in depth analysis.
OL and CB (if somebody else doesn't step up) is our biggest drop from last year to this year that will cause us the most problems I think.

At CB Jason Allen seemed to play about the same as KJ. My memory has KJ getting abused and Allen coming in and playing. My nightmare has KJ getting abused and Ball coming in this year.

OL is my biggest concern. If teams are able to control the right side and we are only able to run to the left then we probably won't really have a very effective running game. Also I am very concerned of a breakdown on pass protection on the right side and a loss of Matt .

Bradie James is a concern also.

In hindsight if Matt had stayed healthy I think the Texans would have been in the Super Bowl last year.

I think the Texans have taken a step back from last year in talent. It does not mean that we won't do better this year than last year though.

My original question was not specific enough. I wanted the comparison to be last year's team at the beginning of the season compared to this year's team now assuming no injuries for the full year.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #69
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post

Winston wasn't more talented, but I think Brisiel was.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #70
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6869 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are the 2013 Texans better than the 2012 Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
Great in depth analysis.
OL and CB (if somebody else doesn't step up) is our biggest drop from last year to this year that will cause us the most problems I think.

At CB Jason Allen seemed to play about the same as KJ. My memory has KJ getting abused and Allen coming in and playing. My nightmare has KJ getting abused and Ball coming in this year.

OL is my biggest concern. If teams are able to control the right side and we are only able to run to the left then we probably won't really have a very effective running game. Also I am very concerned of a breakdown on pass protection on the right side and a loss of Matt .

Bradie James is a concern also.

In hindsight if Matt had stayed healthy I think the Texans would have been in the Super Bowl last year.

I think the Texans have taken a step back from last year in talent. It does not mean that we won't do better this year than last year though.

My original question was not specific enough. I wanted the comparison to be last year's team at the beginning of the season compared to this year's team now assuming no injuries for the full year.
What I meant to say up above in bold was they played about the same amount of time. I think Jason Aleen played better than KJ. my opinion
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #71
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Florio is predicting that the Texans don't even win the division let alone get through any playoff games. He says the Tacks will be our downfall.link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #72
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Florio is predicting that the Texans don't even win the division let alone get through any playoff games. He says the Tacks will be our downfall.link
He's got the Tacks winning the division and coming in as the 4th seed. So he's predicting that the team that wins our division is probably 9-7.

So we're either tied for first and lose out on tie-breakers or we're 8-8 or worse.

All of the talk about how great we are really scares me, to be honest. We've got a lot to live up to. Personally, I'm not accustomed to dealing with my team being successful. I hope they're better at it than I am.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #73
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
All of the talk about how great we are really scares me, to be honest. We've got a lot to live up to. Personally, I'm not accustomed to dealing with my team being successful. I hope they're better at it than I am.
We don't know how they are going to handle it. That's why I say this will be Kubiak's toughest coaching job yet. Complacency is a mutha..... "Don't let good enough be good enough!" is my favorite Parcell's quote.

If we dominate against the Dolphins.... it's going to be tough keeping the guys hungry & focused. Think about Wade's Cowboys. Often referred to as "the most talented team in the NFL"

couldn't win a single play-off game.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read