Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-31-2012   #381
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Your opening day 53 man roster prediction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
It looked to me as if they were playing a 2 deep quarter zone on that side of the field and Harris let the guy go too early looking at the inside reciever .... Keo never had a chance on the play as her was also looking at the inside reciever .... Harris guessed wrong and Keo was unable to recover.

The responsibility was likely Keo's being in the deep zone but with Harris letting him go too soon along with the verticle threat of the inside route ... I cant let either of them off the hook.

Dutch is probably right that they got their signals mixed up .... recievers dont generally get open by that margin otherwise.
I believe you were talking about the other play, Corrosion.

Harris allowed a free outside release to the WR.

With the threat of the inside receiver also running a deep route, it's impossible for the safety.

You just can't allow a free outside release with 2 receivers running deep routes.
Harris needs to make better reads of the offensive formation and play it accordingly.

That looks like a Richard Smith's defense right there, LOL!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #382
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
OK, let's do a process of elimination here.

1. If it was straight 5-2 zone, the LCB (on top of the screen) wouldn't drop deep that quickly, and the Dime Keo wouldn't drop out to the flat that far that quickly.

2. If it was a rotating cover 3, the LCB drops deep, but Demps needs to move to the middle; he didn't.

3. If it was cover 4 on the strong side, and cover 2 on the weak side (Harris' side), Demps would still have to move closer to the middle; he didn't.
All the BS about other players and what the scheme could have been doesn't matter. I have watched you play these games before and I ain't playing especially when you ignored my question.

Are you seriously contending that was Brandon Harris intending to man cover his guy and was just physically incapable of following within 10 yards on that play or is your theory he went "oh look someone dropped a quarter way over back toward the QB" and locked onto the shiny object like a racoon?

Rey, Dutch and Corrosion have all made good observations that the blown coverage may have been a misunderstood assignment (which negates your scheme questions) or Harris pulling into too shallow of a zone. But zone is what Harris played.

Or here is another simple question - what CB playing man coverage never turns his shoulders square or looks at the WR before the ball is thrown?

I had previously read through your breakdowns with appreciation for the effort.
Old 08-31-2012   #383
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 237890 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
2012 #Texans roster (vs 2011): QB 3(3) RB 3(4) FB 2(2) WR 6(4) TE 2(3) OL 9(9)
DL 6(6) LB 9(8) DB 10(11)
K/P/LS 1(1)
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #384
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
All the BS about other players and what the scheme could have been doesn't matter. I have watched you play these games before and I ain't playing especially when you ignored my question.

Are you seriously contending that was Brandon Harris intending to man cover his guy and was just physically incapable of following within 10 yards on that play or is your theory he went "oh look someone dropped a quarter way over back toward the QB" and locked onto the shiny object like a racoon?

Rey, Dutch and Corrosion have all made good observations that the blown coverage may have been a misunderstood assignment (which negates your scheme questions) or Harris pulling into too shallow of a zone. But zone is what Harris played.

Or here is another simple question - what CB playing man coverage never turns his shoulders square or looks at the WR before the ball is thrown?

I had previously read through your breakdowns with appreciation for the effort.
Let me try a different approach.
You think zone, and let's assume that is what it was supposed to be,
What kind of zone was that?
And what was Harris' role in that zone?

Now, I am contending that Harris was taken by the receiver's stem to the corner - which he shouldn't have whether it was zone or man.

If it was zone, he needs to find his landmark and watch for the QB.
He never did that.

If it was man, he failed.

Maybe I don't see it the same way you do, but maybe this is another instance that pictures and vids can tell a better story.

On the other hand, it was nice talking to you.
I guess we choose to see what we want to see.

I'm always open for a possibility that other eyes can be better than mine.
I take into consideration their view and draw up different scenarios.

My work right now is pretty mindless, I can afford to do these things.
I hope you know that I never intend to overlook the scenarios that others mention.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012   #385
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the biggest surprise was Nolan being cut and Keo making the roster.

That had to be based upon ST play ....

Hoping like hell they find a competent swing tackle to replace Gardner .... I dont want him within a half a mile of Schaub.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012   #386
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think the biggest surprise was Nolan being cut and Keo making the roster.

That had to be based upon ST play ....

Hoping like hell they find a competent swing tackle to replace Gardner .... I dont want him within a half a mile of Schaub.
Yep

Man, the Texans sre in trouble if one of teir OT's go down.

My guess is they would try Brooks at OT before they let a swinging door like Gardner play.

I dont even want to think about the consequences if Brown went down. If they were going to let 2/5's of last yrs OL go you would've thought OL would've been a higher priority in the draft. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012   #387
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yep

Man, the Texans sre in trouble if one of teir OT's go down.

My guess is they would try Brooks at OT before they let a swinging door like Gardner play.

I dont even want to think about the consequences if Brown went down. If they were going to let 2/5's of last yrs OL go you would've thought OL would've been a higher priority in the draft. IMHO
They "had" Butler and Newton ... Looked as if the position was nailed down until one gets hurt.
As someone (cant recall who so I cant credit the person) mentioned before about the tackle spot , they were proactive in replacing Winston by drafting Newton the year before , and when you factor in how well Butler played in replacing Brown last year , you had to believe it was sewn up.

I expect they'll look hard for an upgrade there ...

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012   #388
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...and when you factor in how well Butler played in replacing Brown last year , you had to believe it was sewn up.
If the Texans felt that Butler played well in those 4 games that Brown was suspended in 2010, that was their first mistake. He was eaten alive by premier pass rushers. I felt he would do better on the right side, but I was mistaken. One of the most overrated Texans ever.

Still think Newton has the talent to eventually succeed. He will have to grow up fast to keep Matt safe. Which is why a bigger TE to plant on the right side would be nice.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read