Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-31-2012   #41
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McManis traded to Bears for FB Clutts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
From these extensive samples of 2010 UFL highlights, he doesn't seem to have any problems with catching passes.....or even running the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmxZNzdwO2A
Good find, Doc.

Was there any repeat in those catches?
Otherwise, it seems like he caught a lot of passes for a FB.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #42
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Wait.

Clutts is a long-snapper, too?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfgW5...feature=relmfu

He can fill at least 3 roster spots all by himself, LOL
Old 08-31-2012   #43
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McManis traded to Bears

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Clutts reminds me of Owen Marecic, Stanford who was drafted by Cleveland in the 4th round out of Stanford. Interestingly I believe Tyler was first signed by the Browns after a stint in other professional football leagues. Both players have experience on both sides of the ball. Both players are physical & play 110% all out. Lead blocker upgrade, better hands, quality special teams player & could get some reps @ LB if Texans get in a pinch.

In regards to Sherrick, I thought he was ahead of both Nolan & Shiloh Keo.

unrelated, but I hope hope Texans keep Eddie Pleasent, kid has excellent closing speed, instincts & is just a very solid football player.
Agree BL, Pleasant has been pretty damn good imo. Quietly doing his job. This trade is awesome to me. I think Roc is future & if FB is as good as Bears fans indicate could have been another excellent move by Ric Smith. Now if he can find a OT to replace Butler.
Old 08-31-2012   #44
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Should of kept Leech ... o wait we didnt want to make him the HIGHEST paied FB in the NFL
Norg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #45
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 132624 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Good find, Doc.

Was there any repeat in those catches?
Otherwise, it seems like he caught a lot of passes for a FB.
I saw only a handful of repeats of plays from different angles in the entire reel.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #46
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 176794 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Why did we let Vickers go? Contract issue? I heard he may be cut soon in Dallas
Vickers had ongoing problems picking the correct man to hit in his leads.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who haven't ventured over to the Bears forum,

Fans over there are pissed that Clutts is gone, talking up his blocking (a la Vonta Leach), and what a great football player he was.

Sounds like FB is not a position OC Mike Tice uses. Clutts may be the man for the job, give us some help on those run rights.

Last edited by Playoffs; 08-31-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #47
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
We had a surplus of young CBs and a need for a FB.

I had thought Norris's blocking last night was going to be good enough to get him on the team but I wuz worng. It couldn't counteract those two horrible dropped passes.

I like the trade. Hope this kid works out.
Bolded, you nailed that. I'm thinking they've watched enough of the Vickers & Norris stone hands show. Both of them cost us EZ TDs. They're wanting something more in the line of Leach who bulldozed and did well as being fairly soft handed in the flats.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #48
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Good trade. I don't think McManis had a future here anyway.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #49
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

This now means that McManis will go on to have a Pro Bowl season and help his team make the super bowl.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #50
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Bolded, you nailed that. I'm thinking they've watched enough of the Vickers & Norris stone hands show. Both of them cost us EZ TDs. They're wanting something more in the line of Leach who bulldozed and did well as being fairly soft handed in the flats.
I might be wrong, but I always thought Leach was really bad at catching the ball.
Old 08-31-2012   #51
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I might be wrong, but I always thought Leach was really bad at catching the ball.
He looked awkward, but he usually caught the ball if I remember correctly. Didn't really do anything with it though.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #52
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 146812 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Oh, no. I never thought that at all. He had fairly soft hands for a guy that was basically just a walking muscle. He would have caught the pass that Vickers dropped against the Raiders. Leach dropped one or two but I think he had a high catch rate compared to his targets.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #53
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 146812 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
He looked awkward, but he usually caught the ball if I remember correctly. Didn't really do anything with it though.
He usually made a positive play out of it. He wasn't going to break anything big but he was good as a check-down. In his 5 years with the Texans, he had 71 receptions for 518 yards and 4 TDs.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #54
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

just watched every bears offensive snap from last nite watching clutts (btw how awesome is gamepass condensed- they have the whole game fitted into 25 mins). color me unimpressed overall tbh. dunno what the bears fans on that forum were on about his strong blocking at the GL? maybe last yr pre-injury possibly?

last nite, clutts was blocking most of the time he was in (about 50% of total offensive plays id estimate) and while he usually got a hat on a hat and wasnt getting knocked back, he wasnt plowing holes either which, considering alot of the time he was blocking a cb on outside runs, wasnt very impressive. didnt see him pop anyone back once like norris did last nite. also once or twice, his man was able to disengage and make the tackle 5-10 yds downfield.

passing wise he was targetted 4 times iirc on short routes- caught 3 inc one nice grab in traffic on a bullet pass & one drop on a low throw that he tried to one hand grab- not a horrible drop like some of norris' last nite, but one that a good catching fb should make. wasnt in for any straight pass protection only play action.

he's not gonna unseat casey anytime soon barring injury

didnt notice any ST plays but was focusing on offense and skipped a few of em
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #55
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Clutts is one of those guys who oozes football and that's what the Texans like .
Old 08-31-2012   #56
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
just watched every bears offensive snap from last nite watching clutts (btw how awesome is gamepass condensed- they have the whole game fitted into 25 mins). color me unimpressed overall tbh. dunno what the bears fans on that forum were on about his strong blocking at the GL? maybe last yr pre-injury possibly?

last nite, clutts was blocking most of the time he was in (about 50% of total offensive plays id estimate) and while he usually got a hat on a hat and wasnt getting knocked back, he wasnt plowing holes either which, considering alot of the time he was blocking a cb on outside runs, wasnt very impressive. didnt see him pop anyone back once like norris did last nite. also once or twice, his man was able to disengage and make the tackle 5-10 yds downfield.

passing wise he was targetted 4 times iirc on short routes- caught 3 inc one nice grab in traffic on a bullet pass & one drop on a low throw that he tried to one hand grab- not a horrible drop like some of norris' last nite, but one that a good catching fb should make. wasnt in for any straight pass protection only play action.

he's not gonna unseat casey anytime soon barring injury

didnt notice any ST plays but was focusing on offense and skipped a few of em

I watched a different game, against the Chargers last year.

He was not in on many snaps, very few actually (I've only watched the first half so far).

It was positive; he took out the ILB very strongly on one play and was adequate on a couple others.

I know it was limited "experience", but so far so good.

I'm not jumping to any conclusion, though.
Old 08-31-2012   #57
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156516 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Can he play RT or RG?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012   #58
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Can he play RT or RG?
Doubtful, but I'll bet he helps out Newton alot with some chip blocks or on speed rushers. I think we just traded a guy who was going to be cut anyway and got some value for him at a need position.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012   #59
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Anything or anyone who helps improve the blocking scheme & pass protection is fine with me. I couldn't help but notice Forsett did a solid job in pass pro against the Vikings. Overall their 2nd team OL looked much better than our 2nd team, this had to be a concern too.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012   #60
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Keo and Clutts should form an alliance together.

The Keo Clutts Clan.

Happy Bad Joke Day everybody!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read